bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Death Upon an Austrian Sonata: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 7, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Death Upon an Austrian Sonata: A Dana Knightstone Novel? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Death Upon an Austrian Sonata: A Dana Knightstone Novel page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Death Upon an Austrian Sonata: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 7, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 7, 12 12:39 AM
If you would like to check out the reviews for the CE version of this game, just click here!

Hope this helps and happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 7, 12 1:41 AM

Morning, all...

This game has 6 chapters.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

There is Voice-over.

There is Widescreen.

There are lots of Achievements.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive, and you will find different kinds.

The HINT button is at the right, and takes almost a minute to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 70 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

Graphics are well done, in the main scenes as well as the HOS.

--- --- ---

When I played the CE demo, I wasn't all that impressed. However, I bought the CE anyway (I think there was a sale on), and was pleasantly surprised to see how much I actually enjoyed the game. I liked the puzzles and enjoyed the gameplay on the whole.
However, I could have done without the "Epilogue" (bonus game). Wasn't terribly impressed with it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 8, 12 6:00 AM
Just finished a very enjoyable game which took me a little over 3 hours...thanks to the timer at the end.

I would give this a 5 out of 5 except for two very irritating things: #1 - NO MAP! This game definately needed one. Put on your tennies because you are all over the place...very irritating. Game can be a bit vague as to where to go and what to do next so you have to use the HINT which recharges OK, but not the fastest in the world when you are stuck. It gets old when you have to go across town to get an item you need to use in the current scene. Arrrgh. #2: Mini games, I'm not a fan of these anyway but these were either delightfully easy and fun or outrageously tedious and confusing since the instructions were not always clear. I ended up skipping about 1/2 of them for this reason. The Skip recharges a bit slowly.

Voice overs were good, I actually left them on and the music was soothing.

HOS were really fun and creative in this game. Story was good and there was a lot to do however, what happened to the thief at the end? The ending was a bit abrupt, but did wrap up niecely..kind of sad though. I have always enjoyed the Dana Knightstone games and I think you will enjoy this one.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 8, 12 9:30 AM
Truly remarkable game, even as S E, beautyful locations and graphics, very touching story, the music is a bit too repetitive, and violin, often has sad notes! But the game enroll you in the scenes and cleaver minigames, I am really enjoying the playing of it!

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Dec 8, 12 2:06 PM
This was a beautiful game, but so very very short. 2:35 on advanced mode, I used one hint and skipped no puzzles.

MaryLiLamb
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLiLamb on Dec 9, 12 8:07 AM
I'm a little disappointed. It plays like an Awakening game, not like the previous Dana Knightstone game. I'll probably buy it later.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 30, 12 1:24 PM
Finished up the game today, and really enjoyed it, but like
Valdy, I was sorry I bought the CE as I found the Bonus
Chapter very disappointing. Entire style of gameplay was
different. Far too many of those mini-games where you have
to find the little circle parts of the scene and the scenes were
so dark, they were hard to see. First few HO scenes in
Bonus had you working in a windowed scene that was
also very hard on the eyes.

As an SE, great game. As a CE, I feel cheated.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 7, 13 9:29 PM
very nice game, lovely graphics, reasonably interesting story

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 11, 13 6:26 AM
I played the CE as got it on the sale as I heard this game was short.

I haven't put a review anywhere else but here as I accidentally wrote over my notes over this game. So this is just a quick overview.

I love this series but re story I think the first is still the best and this is about the weakest but still good. This does play more like a HOPA whereas the second one definitely played more like a puzzle adventure. Graphics are huge for me in a game and I loved the graphics in this, I love this style of graphics. I enjoyed most of the puzzles, like the other games they aren't hard but I enjoyed them. I do wish more were a challenge but this game was fun for me. It doesn't have a transporter map but I did feel each location was quite contained so didn't really miss it. It's definitely an easy game.

The HOS were a combination of styles and were lovely and clear. I thought it was better once you got into the second chapter. Maybe knowing it was a short game I just really took my time, but I did get 4 hrs out of the main game. (I was playing for achievements in the CE so quite a bit of time was doing a couple of things that took a while.)

It's definitely worth a DD or coupon, it might not be the best game there is, but the fun factor was high for me in this game whereas lately it's not been for a lot of other games I've played.

Edited on 01/11/2013 at 6:29:47 AM PST

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Jan 25, 13 1:51 PM
molto bello...ho giocato con piacere...ha rispettato le mie aspettative di gioco,avendo già gli altri della serie...bella la grafica non invasiva la musica e carina la storia... ho acquistato la SE e non mi ha delusa...consigliatissimooooo....!!!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 16, 13 9:00 AM
this was a GREAT game, we loved it, just like a novel.----------------doug & lisa

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Feb 26, 13 9:31 AM
ignore last post

Edited on 02/26/2013 at 9:34:07 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 28, 13 5:33 AM
Somebody Listened Too Well

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

I think the developers have listened too well to that very vocal group of hard core gamers for whom everything is too easy. The first two games of this series were light-hearted, pretty, easy romances, and were delightful because of it. Not so Austrian Sonata.

It is beautiful, but it is dark in a way the previous games haven’t been. And more dangerous. And more dramatic.

MINOR SPOILER ALERT(highlight to read)** Even the happily ever after is bitter sweet. **SPOILER FINISHED

But above all, this game is much more difficult to play. I found myself skipping too often, and practically relying exclusively on hint to get around. And they even stole the achievements to the CE’s exclusive use.

Despite all these problems I still finished the game in just over 3 hours – very short for me, and certainly shorter than most games I play.

One important plus about this game, though, - as you’d expect from the name – the music is enchanting and refreshing.

All up? I think the developer tried too hard on this one, but it is still a beautiful game.

I recommend this game!

Go to: