bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Weird Park: Scary Tales

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Dec 12, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Weird Park: Scary Tales? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Weird Park: Scary Tales page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Weird Park: Scary Tales

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Dec 12, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 12, 12 12:46 AM
First I wanted to say I was waiting on this one as I adored the first one. Second, in the opening before the dude wrecked his car, he was playing some good jams on the radio lol. And now we can see what that little Jester has up his sleeves this time!

@GMAC: No Dupin yet!

Story: Talking a trip down Disney Lane as that little rascal Jester is making kids lives miserable as all get out. And it's up to the detective to save them.

Graphics: Truly awesome. This is another dev who has one superb graphic artist team.

Hint system: As I know this dev, there hints are good inside and out of H0G scenes.

Mini Games: Right in the middle. Challenging but not frustrating. Awesome job.

I bought this game straight away. And so glad I did. Kudos to the devs!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Dec 12, 12 1:19 AM
I agree with every thing sassylassie has to say, with the addition of a big thank you to BF for having a great SE for us to buy. This game is a real deal!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 12, 12 3:12 AM
LOVE this game! I've had no problems. I'm sorry for those of you who have. But don't give up...keep looking for the fix. This game is soooo worth it. Although the opening cut scene is the typical car crash...I really liked the music playing on the radio. It's a cool Rock Jazz...wish the song would have lasted longer.

This is a sequel and so far holds up to the original very well...if not better! The graphics are amazing and I really love this storyline. Be sure to check it out and for those of you having tech problems...don't give up. It's a buy for me and a must try. Great job developers and thanks for a awsome SE. Enjoy!

Yes: Widescreen
Yes: Voiceovers
Yes: Hog Scenes
Yes: Journal
Yes: Custom Cursor
Sound: Music/Sound
Modes: Casual/Expert (no sparkles in expert mode)
Theme: Carnival Mystery

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!
‘ ‘
(o)

This is a great SE & Sequel!

JellyRage
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JellyRage on Dec 12, 12 4:02 AM

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 4:36:00 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 12, 12 4:51 AM
I had no problems with this game at all. I feel so sorry for the fishies who do, for this is a great game. A buy here.......................I have the 1st and so far this one surpasses it...............................graphics were a breeze the HO's were kind of junk pile and hint button is kind of slow to fill, but overall the game is great in most departments................. SO GIVE THIS GAME A SHOT...............THAT IS IF YOU CAN.................

TRY UPDATING YOUR DRIVERS THAT USUALLY WORKS

HAPPY GAMING

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 12, 12 4:55 AM
No download or inventory issues here; demo took 4 mins to d/l and inventory appears when I move the cursor down. Items in the HOS are a bit hit and miss; some have to be clicked full on and others need a click just under the item (using system cursor) but I got used to that quite quickly so not really a problem.

But the game just didn't really do anything for me. The graphics were nice enough but the whole place looked dreary and uninviting. Playing in expert mode to avoid the dreaded sparkles was perhaps a mistake, since most of the time I hadn't a clue what to do next! The hint button was very helpful outside the HOS and I could move on but I can't see the point in playing a game and using the hint button all the time. Perhaps a new profile in casual mode would help with that issue, if I wanted to try it.

I did enjoy the first Weird Park but this one just lacked something. The question is, do I really want to use up nearly 1gb of my monthly download limit on a game that didn't impress me much during the demo? Even at the sale price, I'm not sure; I'll wait for reviews of the finished game before deciding but at the moment, it's not a buy for me.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Dec 12, 12 5:34 AM
This review is based on about half the demo time, just so you know.

My comments, in order of occurrence:

Stretched widescreen, or none. Really, devs? I KNOW you are capable of better. This doesn't usually bother me a lot, but from these devs, I really expect to see auto widescreen. Not a deal-breaker.

The graphics, while very pretty, and very colorful in the details, were a bit grainy. I do really appreciate crystal clear graphics, and again, I know these devs (though possibly, not this team), are more than capable of it. Not a deal-breaker.

I see from reading the Tech Issues thread that my complaint about the inventory isn't news to anyone, but in case some haven't heard, there's an issue about the game registering cursor movement at the bottom of the screen as "Back" or "Inventory". I want to access something in my inventory, I get the "Back" arrow instead. VERY annoying. NEARLY a deal-breaker.

Lots of HO scenes, which I don't mind. They repeat, and the previously located items are back. Don't mind the repeat (I like to see how much I remember), but I do appreciate when the PL items don't come back. Not a deal-breaker.

Those are the cons, and the neutral comments. On to the good.

As others have mentioned, the music at the beginning is great - there should be more of this. Also, the theme music is reminiscent of the MCF theme (at least to me ). Like them both, and I will be leaving the sound on.

I really like the colors used in this game. The backgrounds can be dark and fuzzy, but the areas of interest are bright and colorful. Nice contrast, and good balance.

When you have to repeat an action, e.g., unscrewing four screws, you only have to put the screwdriver into the scene once - I LOATHE when I have to go pick up the tool four times and place it four times. Feels like padding; glad to see that isn't used here, and relieved.

The story has me hooked. I am a total sucker for anything to do with theme parks or circuses, and I enjoyed the first "Weird Park". Also, it seems there may be some seriously creepy moments; POSSIBLE SPOILER! those kids on the TV were very unsettling!.

All in all, and given the fact that I can get this game for less than $5 USD, I know what I'm going to be doing on my day off. If anything major comes up in the rest of the game, I'll be back to edit this, but for now, off to buy! Enjoy fishies!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 12, 12 5:36 AM

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 4:56:19 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 12, 12 7:13 AM

Played 20 minutes, casual

- 2 modes, casual, expert

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- No map

- H0, you interact, a lot of them

- Good mini games

- Hint refills quickly (casual) and is useful outside H0

- Very good graphics

- Good music

I've loved the first one and this one looks really good too. Nasty joker is back messing up with children this time. A straight buy for me. Thanks for this good SE, not many of them to use our coupons on

smpilotmom
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by smpilotmom on Dec 12, 12 8:45 AM
I loved evething about this game! Way to go!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 12, 12 9:51 AM
I too landed on the lucky side of tech issues with this game. I can access inventory in widescreen - however I don't want to This is one of those where it's horribly streeeeetched in WS mode - I'll take black bars anyday over pretty graphics being mucked up with a stretch!

Only minor tech issue (so far - in demo) is not quite a "hinky" cursor - but it does tend to have a bit of a mind of its own when you get it to close to the border - you lose control for a second & get a double cursor - not game ending, but annoying.

Game will be a buy for me (and again I do know I'm lucky re: tech esp. with a sale!) as I said - great graphics and a compelling storyline! Veeery eerie - so certainly not for folks weary of creepy games - this has creep in abundance!

It's kind of odd having the original a CE and sequal SE - I may keep looking for the extras! Still, glad there IS a sequal and am looking forward to seeing what scary fun the devs have in store for us this time - and, of course hoping to "save the day" in the end. Maybe that's the best part of creepy games - getting to feel like a "real hero" in the end

Crossing fins for those who want to try the demo and see what they think!

Happy Gaming

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Lacking Good Functional Interaction

[Post New]by mrssharon on Dec 12, 12 10:19 AM
I played Weird Park: Broken Tunes and liked it very much. If I recall correctly it had puzzles as well as HOS. (It has been a while since I played it, so it might not have.) I have not come across any puzzles in this game, Weird Park: Scary Tales, but lots of HOS. Too many in my opinion. That takes the challenge out of it for me, and makes it more of a seek and find game. Might as well not have a storyline.

I also had difficulty in getting the inventory window to open (and apparently others have as well) and when it did open it didn't want to stay open long enough for me to get the item I needed. If I was able to get the item, it didn't really work well unless I hit just the right spot. I don't think this is a technical issue with my computer since it is only 6 months old and has a good video card, etc.

So, for me, that takes the fun out of the game and replaces it with frustration. I felt the pace of the game was slow. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was boring, but it didn't hold my attention very well.

The HOS were dark and it was difficult to see/find some of the items, but overall the quality of the graphics was good.

Because of the inventory bar issue, I gave up on the game after about 30 minutes, so I can't honestly say if the game gets better. Since I liked the first game in the series, this one is a real disappointment for me.

manysaying
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by manysaying on Dec 12, 12 10:30 AM
Bought this game without trialing it based on how good the first Weird park was. A little dissapointed with the lack of puzzles but I may be wanting it all straight away. I am not regretting buying as agree with most others comments about graphics etc. Yes inventory might be a bit slow but take a breath and enjoy the moment of playing a beautifly crafted game at a SE. Yay, thanks BF.

msdawn01
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by msdawn01 on Dec 12, 12 10:34 AM
i agree with manysaying for the rush to buy ,as i had hoped it would be like the first one ,i had far to many difficulties & still am with the inventory not popping up ,

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Dec 12, 12 12:30 PM
I played half of the demo. Easy mode had too many sparkles, difficult mode not enough help. A lot of games offer 3 levels now, which would make this game more enjoyable. Aside from the minor tech issues, this is a pretty good game, but not as good as the first installment. The graphics are just OK, nothing special. There are a lot of HOs in the beginning. I didn't play long, but I wonder if this continues throughout the game. That being said, I will probably get this one at the sale price. The storyline is interesting and I want to see where it goes.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Dec 12, 12 1:09 PM
Game play a bit jerky at first but then settled down.

Graphics are good and not as dark as the screenshots show.

Puzzles - okay but didn't come across many in the 40 mins I played and they weren't anything special

HO scenes - lots of them - clear graphics - very little interactivity - find by word list

Map - No

Tasks - No

Hidden extras i.e. morphing etc - No

Voiceover - a little

Inventory - does not lock and doesn't seem to want to pop up when you need it either!

My verdict - seems like it could be a good game but the problem with the inventory makes it a no buy for me at this time. I've left myself 20 mins of demo time in the hope there is a fix and I can try it out again.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 12, 12 1:51 PM
Love it... Liked the first one and this one is better. Couldn't wait for it to be released. Graphics are great and puzzles good too. Sound effects are so real especially that owl..Makes me think he's right in the room with me. Hints reload fast and just got into the story, but am already hooked on this one and it's and SE too. Thanks Big Fish..Give it 4 out of 5 stars..

Edited on 12/12/2012 at 1:52:03 PM PST

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Dec 12, 12 2:15 PM
Like some others here, I too am disappointed with the gameplay. I couldn't access the inventory normally in widescreen (which has never happened to me with any other game before) and I didn't think it would bother me so much but it does. I don't like seeing my desktop as a "border" and I don't feel immersed in the game at all. And so much time was spent trying to pick up the items! It took many clicks and only until I noticed that you have to click under the item and barely touching it in order to grasp it. How lousy and nonsensical is that? It totally took away the fun of playing because so much time was spent on it that after the trial hour, I feel that I didn't get far enough into the story at all. In fact, without the introduction, you really don't get any of the story during the trial hour. And I hated all the HO scenes too. Far too many during the first hour. If this trial is supposed to be an example of the number of HO scenes we'll see in each hour of play, then this is a no buy for me. I loved Broken Tune and felt the ratio of HO to adventure was appropriate although there were more HO scenes in the second half of BT that were redundant. I was really looking forward to this game but with the many HO scenes combined with the repetitive clicking of the items in those scenes, it really dragged down the speed of the game and was no fun for me at all. I didn't learn anything more about the story and the adventuring aspect was just repetitive and slow. I might consider this if it goes on sale for $2.99 but for now, it's not worth even a half off price for me yet.

Edited on 12/15/2012 at 9:13:20 PM PST

Go to: