bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 13, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 13, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 13, 12 12:47 AM
I beta tested this one what a great game couldn't wait for it to come out...........buying without demo................I had no problems at all with this game ran very smooth...................bright HO's widescreen all the bells and whistles...............YIPPPPPPPPPPY

[Post New]by ladybaroness33 on Dec 13, 12 1:19 AM

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 4:09:41 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 13, 12 1:24 AM
Morning all...

The Reviews of this game may contain some Spoilers, so... beware.

This game by Elephant Games has 7 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a button for "Special Effects".

There is a Graphics slider for "Gamma".

The Hint button, in form of an old-fashioned telephone, is at the left. When used outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), it will tell you exactly what to do next.

Your interactive Map is at the right. Just below the map is the Menu button.

The SG (strategy guide) is at the top left.

The HOS I have come across so far are those where you need to put things back into the scene or use the items in your inventory to do something with, i.e. use matches to light a candle.

A Camera will be placed permanently in your inventory. You will come across mystical creatures of which you have to take photos. There are 30 photos in all you can take.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons fill fast in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

Well, it's a game by Elephant Games. Need I say more?

[Post New]by ladybaroness33 on Dec 13, 12 1:28 AM
I beta tested this too.Great game as they all are from this publisher.Map also allowing you to hop back and forth.Old storyline as I remember from my youth.Screen nice and bright and HO different in that you put things back instead of taking them out.Love the sound of the telephone when using the hint.That's all..my first attemt to convey info. Happy XMas 2 u all

boofycat
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by boofycat on Dec 13, 12 1:30 AM
Another magnificent game from Elephant. It has a fairy tale theme and graphics to match. I love the colorful scenery (without the constant snow which made the Nutcracker a bit hard on the eyes). Oh well, there goes my budget! This game is a must have.
ETA: Just finished the main game (saving the bonus until later). This is a truly spectacular game and well worth the CE price. The story keeps your interest until the end, the music is not intrusive and matches the game play. I'm grateful for the interactive map as this game has many locations each as intriguing as the last. My nomination for game of the year.

Edited on 12/17/2012 at 4:32:38 PM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Dec 13, 12 1:41 AM
I agree with all the above but I found it too simple. The puzzles I found were very easy and offered no challenge. The HOS were better than normal but all in all I don't think it's worth a CE price. If it was a little harder I'd snap it up but although everything about it is very well done it still bordered on boring.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 13, 12 2:08 AM
Elephant Games are as close to automatic buys as it gets!!

Just when I thought no game could outdo the "Nutcracker", along comes this magnificent offering----but wait, "Nutcracker" was an Elephant game as well. Looks we have a premier game developer giving us two masterpieces in the month.

The game is a fairy tale told in terms of a modern day detective who is drawn into a magical (and gorgeous) kingdom to assist in a Cinderella type search. So the story is captivating and charming, and wonderfully told.

The game mechanics are perfect----no problems at all, there is a detailed map that allows easy travel between the scenes. But I didn't use it much because I wanted to enjoy the stunning art work and graphic detail over and over.

The voiceovers are superb.

The HOS are replacement type, a refreshing change. And they all have clever animation as you place the objects in their proper places.

The puzzles are well done, and not difficult.

The bonus content is the usual and well presented.

An elephant never forgets, and Elephant has not forgotten to listen to their fans----shorter refills on hints and puzzle skips, interactive maps, etc,. and, of course, a WIDESCREEN presentation which so greatly enhances the game.

Elephant Games has charged to the forefront of the big time game developers, and the other devs will need to take note. (Was that a rabbit I saw under that elephant's foot?)

Solid, great fun----kudos to this team of devs, and thanks for a beauty of a game!!!!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 13, 12 2:13 AM
Another beautiful game from a developer that certainly understands what a CE ought to be! This really is a feast for the eyes; gorgeous graphics, magical places to explore, adorable creatures to befriend (and others not so adorable or friendly!), good voiceovers and a story we all know but with unexpected twists and turns.

Lots of options to tailor the game to suit and automatic widescreen, which is really a must-have for any CE (other devs take note please). The HOS in the demo were all replacing items back into a scene, which I really liked. Shame I missed taking the photos; this wasn't explained (or I didn't see where it was) so I've lost the chance now unless I start a new profile. I played in the middle option and no sparkles but plenty of 'nudging in the right direction' so I never got stuck. And there's a map you can use for fast travel too!

I'm surprised at the comment that the puzzles were very easy! The one with the numbers had me completely lost; I'm obviously not very logical and had to skip it! Otherwise the rest were just right for me.

This is an absolute must buy as far as I'm concerned; fairytales like this and Nutcracker are just irresistible

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 13, 12 2:15 AM
Length according the SG:

Main: 7 chapters, 37 pages
Bonus: 38-51 p (13 pages)

Stunning graphics and art work! Just pleasure to look at the background and drool! No "fireworks" or sparkles - phew... Super quality game!!!

Didn't like so much 2 things:

1) The "reverse" HOS, much harder (well, where do you put a rag???). Hope I'll find the "normal" HOS too...

2) The "anonymous" source hint. I wanted the puppy in the front of the palace...clicked quite a lot on it!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 13, 12 2:23 AM
Another great game from the devs! I love the game and I like the HOS.
It's a buy for me.

What a great team! Thank you! and

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Dec 13, 12 2:23 AM
This game is great. I love the fairy tale theme and all the magical animals, people and fun stuff that goes along with it. I love that the hidden object scenes in the demo were the reverse kind (put the object in to the picture).

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Dec 13, 12 2:37 AM
I want to say a personal thank you to all my fellow fishies for taking the time to write time consuming reviews. For years I bought games without reading the valuable information available on these pages, but I never download a game now until after I have read what so many of you have taken the time to write! Thank you!
That said I bought this wonderful game after reading your reviews and you are all so right. What a great game, and so soon after The Nutcracker. Amazing!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 13, 12 2:59 AM
Absolutely love it! Once again the "Elephant" wins! I agree with all the positive reviews. I will make my review short...as everyone else has done a wounderful job describing this game already. This is by far one of my top 2 developers...and this and "The Nutcracker" are just breathtaking! And thank you for giving us some new and different storylines. I appreciate it. I will keep buying everyone of your games if you keep this up. Thanks for bringing us this winner. This is a must buy. Enjoy!

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!
‘ ‘
(o)

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Dec 13, 12 3:08 AM
This is an absolutely beautiful game. It is a buy for me. Love the fairytale characters, harpies and all.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 13, 12 3:27 AM
Merry Christmas to me from Elephant and Felix!! I didn't think anything would compete with Nutcracker, or pull me away from yesterday's sequel to one of my fav games of the past. I'm saving Nutcracker to play Christmas Eve and trying to finish yesterday's. Here I am, just had to peek at TGT (and xtra punch, my downfalls). This game is my 4th CE in 13 days, the gifts that keep on giving. I'm going in circles which to play now but demoed them all.

What can lift my spirits more than gazing at beauty!?!? And fun stuff to do and look for. And light hearted comments by the detective as we tour around incredible locations, fun animals, nothing dreary in this one either. I pray for jump maps and walkthroughs in games, color, artistry, but like their Lord of Statues I find myself wanting to go to and fro and forget there is a map. Each scene is memorable for me who gets lost easily in most adventure type games. And I get frustrated with most puzzles, skip and feel I'm not getting my $ worth. So, I really do appreciate a casual, easy mode and let the game flow, show stoppers here are stop and admire, not stop and seek help when stuck.

The extras are lookable in the demo, all but bonus Play, I like to see wallpapers and SG. And WIDESCREEN on my 17" lap makes it a buy. Love the placing objects where they belong or are used, about as much thinking as I can do or want to. Having some challenging enough major health issues this month, so VERY grateful for the fun, lite entertainment I can try to focus on. Elephant makes that easy for me, no boredom with these gifts, thanks artists and writers for giving me a wonderful Christmas and beyond when I'm sure to replay these toys over and over. on earth and cyberspace 2013.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 13, 12 3:33 AM

I really didn't want to buy another CE now but this dev is great at drawing me into their games.

I just finished the whole scaring the harpy off the road into the forest sequence and just could not resist buying the game to continue on my way upon my very own unicorn.

Oh, well....Merry Christmas early to me!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 13, 12 3:54 AM
Didi I say I love fairy tale stories, especially the "fractured" ones where they play off what we read as kids? Wonderful marriage of graphics and storytelling. Hey, isn't Christmas a good excuse to call out the inner child?

re the camera, I never skip the Tutorial on any games, even as I've bought around 500 in my years gaming. I think that is what pointed to the camera in inventory to use taking animal pictures. must be like collectibles to find (or miss) in other games. I never assume I will know by experience how to navigate games, so do yourself a favor if an expert player. It also helps get more play from a trial on timer so I allow myself to be teachable. Find some surprises that way to enhance playing the full, then I start over if not continuing at the full download. Not all the animals want their picture taken, click on them anyway for amusement.

I'm pleased that with all the professionalism and creativity in this team their later games are not just for expert hard core players. I've bought them all but some were over my head. I don't think CE worthy should be pinned on difficult challenges, after all, players of all ages should get offerings of high caliber, old, young, family style like these of 2012. My top 3 fav games this year are all Elephant. Good job trying to please us all

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 4:40:02 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 13, 12 4:58 AM
On demo only (as this is the only place for feedback)

First it was big fish games that disappointed me with MCF and now it's my favourite developers elephant games I actually went out and double checked that it was elephant on the title screen. I nearly bought this without even trying it first but so glad I did. Elephant what happened? Where are any extras in the CE? (and sorry concept art, music, and wallpaper doesn't cut it with me).

Where are the achievements or collectables that make you one of the best if not the best re CEs? After nutcracker, which I think should be officially game of the year, comes this. Yes it has a photo album (which I think you take pictures of ? during game) but while I applaud it's a bit different it still needs the others.

Grim tales don't have collectables ( ) in CEs but I loved the graphics and gameplay in the last one. When this game opened it didn't even look like an elephant game, where has all the lush gorgeous graphics gone? It looks compressed and flat in comparison with nutcracker and unfinished tales:illicit love.

Graphics are HUGE with me and this game is not grabbing me. Yes it does have my favourite kind of HOS (reverse scenes) and all so far (only played 3) are like that, which is the first time elephant has gone non list but that alone isn't enough.

Really disappointed in this game, and so waiting for the SE (which is a first for me) and even then it's not a 'can't wait' situation. Sorry but I won't let anyone off with a game that doesn't have all the bells and whistles that should be in a CE.
And still disappointed in it as a SE.

I know I seem to be alone out in a limb but every other developer has easy games, so for those of us who did like a bit of a challenge (and I'm not talking safecracker level) elephant used to give us that but they seem to be 'dumbing' down their games so where do those of us who like a slight challenge go to?

As these games trying to appeal to all levels doesn't usually work, maybe one easy game and then a harder game would be fair? As I have only played a short bit of this game, it's not fair of me to comment on the hardness of this game as maybe it does get a bit harder or at least a mixture with gameplay and puzzles.

I have been disappointed recently in ease and shortness of their games but never thought I'd be disappointed in, gameplay, graphics or extras.

Go to: