bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 14, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 14, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 14, 12 12:40 AM
If you would like to check out reviews for the CE version of this game, please click here!

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 12/14/2012 at 12:42:14 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 14, 12 12:43 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is automatic widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is something called "Film grain". I think that if you tick it, the scenes (or at least the cut scenes) will appear to look old-fashioned.

The HINT button, which worked very well outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the left. In Casual mode, it refills within 30 seconds inside the HOS and instantly outside of the HOS.

The HOS are interactive.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button only takes about 30 or 40 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

Your MAP is at the right. It shows you where you are, areas of interest, and where action needs to be taken. Each circle on the map shows you the name of the place when you go over them with your cursor. You can't use the map to jump.

--- --- ---

This is a first-class adventure-game type of HOG. Excellent animation and interaction. Graphics are very well done, and gameplay is of the usual high standard we expect of a good HOG. Voices are also very well done.

With all the animation in this game, it's no wonder the full CE version is just over 1 GB (just under 750MB for the SE).

I think it took me a good 4 hours to play the main game (which means that many other gamers will take much less time), and just under an hour for the bonus game.

Don't judge the length of this game by how big the file is. A lot of the MBs that make up this game are for the animation and conversations. And there are a lot of conversations. But I loved those. It was like watching a movie in which I was able to participate. And I never got bored.

I also thought that the voice-over was really well done, and very believable.

There are quite a few HOS, and you do play the same HOS more than once or even twice.

There are also quite a few puzzles, but I am happy to say that I managed to do most of them. They were fun and not too difficult.

I loved the animation, I loved the cut scenes (of which there were many), and I loved the gameplay. This was a truly wonderful game.

SPOILER ALERT FOR BONUS GAME
Hover over with the cursor to see the text...

The main game finishes satisfactory, but leaves the opening for the bonus game, in which you play a different character and visit a different part of the UK.

END OF SPOILER ALERT

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Dec 14, 12 2:28 AM
I only played 13 mins of the CE and couldn't remember why. I thought I'd give it another go. Ah, now I remember, if you don't want sparkles you have to give up hints and the map! I'm incredulous. It's like a child in sulk mode, don't want sparkles then you're not having anything so ner!
I'm not going to bother with it thanks. I wonder if I delete it will my PC blow up?

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Dec 14, 12 8:04 AM
Hi Nomatt,

The curser changes when you mouse over something of interest, so I don't think sparkles are necessary. I loathe them myself and always play on hardest mode.

This seems like a good real adventure game with Hidden Object Scenes.

Can some kind soul tell me if there are many HOS as I don't mind some but not too many?

I thought the graphics are amazing and the story was different to normal, not the usual car crash/ lost child/father scenario. Really good voice-over acting and the atmosphere of Edwardian backgrounds is excellent.

If there aren't too many HOGs I might get it.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 14, 12 8:37 AM
this is a real GOOD game. if you like adventure and HOS, we recommend this game to you.-------doug & lisa

patcam52
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by patcam52 on Dec 14, 12 9:21 AM
FANTASTIC GAME!!!!!!!!!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Dec 14, 12 3:03 PM
Just finished the demo. Enjoyed game. Will buy.

skyepearl
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by skyepearl on Dec 15, 12 2:43 PM
According to the W/T, as I only played a short piece of the trial, there are 14 HOS & 17 mini-games. According to Valdy (admittedly a slower player), the game can be played in 4 hours. So, whether or not this is too many HOS/mini-games for you depends upon your quickness. The HOS seemed to be fairly spaced out, nothing back-to-back. No mis-click penalty that I found.

Also, I think the map is inaccurate. When I checked it (playing on casual mode) it noted a room with an action available " ! ", however once going to that room I could find nothing to do at the moment (missing items needed to further things along). Hitting the hint button steered me into the adjoining room, which did not have the " ! " noting something of interest can be found there. Hitting the hint again when in that new room, showed me an item to pick up. So, I think the map may be useful to get from point A to point B, but don't rely on it to tell you where available actions may be.

bt1151
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by bt1151 on Dec 15, 12 9:37 PM
This game is an interesting development so I might buy it just to encourage the developers to continue working on it.

However, because of the sparkle issue, there's no way I'll pay full price for it. I played on the second difficulty level because I like the option to get a hint if needed but the sparkles drove me crazy!

Also, at that difficulty level I'd prefer that the map show me names of places (and maybe thumbnails) but not tell me where things still need to be done. Any ... please make it interactive so I can jump to where I want to go.

As I said, it's interesting - try it.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Dec 16, 12 9:22 AM
Thank you very much Skyepearl for your answer that there are more puzzles than HOS.

This is the ratio I like so I might be getting this one.

[Post New]by mcarmella on Dec 17, 12 5:24 PM
This is the BEST game I've ever played. The graphics were so real. The hidden objects weren't fuzzy at all. The people and voices were great!!! I liked it so much I want the Collectors Addition to play. I felt like I was watching a movie. The interactions and mini games were wonderful!!!!

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Dec 18, 12 1:37 PM
This one was a real snooze fest for me! It could have been good as the story line and graphics were nice but it was way too slow to load every scene and just irritating. I didnt even last 15 minutes!

jagran
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by jagran on Dec 19, 12 3:54 AM
Have just finished this game and despite what other Fishies have said, I think it is without doubt the worst game I have ever played on this site! The acting is appalling and the 'British' accents execrable! The sluggish movement from scene to scene was extremely irritating and the clunky dialogue is something a child could have improved on. Not like me to rave on but this was a waste of money and extremely disappointing. Better luck next time!

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Jan 3, 13 6:52 PM
Just finished the game. It was a nice change from the usual occult - more of a murder mystery, although with a serial murderer it can't be anything but creepy - but I thought it a little too talky. I usually like lots of plot and talk (I'm a big British mystery fan) but I don't know - it just wasn't the most fascinating game I've ever played, and I think just not enough thought was put into the plot and writing and acting.

Even with all the dialogue I never quite got the plot or figured out what was going on or even understood the characters. And most of the acting, like another gamer said, was not that good. They did try, though, and I have to give credit for that. At least it was a touch different than usual. I'm glad I bought it and played it.

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 6:54:02 PM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 10, 13 8:45 AM
way too much yap, slow between scenes and the demo only took 39 mins to complete. maybe as a dd

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Feb 26, 13 12:32 PM
just finished the game.
lengthy dialogues, but well made, with good british english, some funny moments.
it was boring sometimes, but ok as it was not too frustrating for being too difficult and the hint was helpful. the numerous back and forth was slightly over my liking.
did not like the detective having young frame and face but they made him look old at the same time. it looked artificial.
slow loading, mentioned previously, also did not add to the enjoyment.
the game looks as it will have a continuation.

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 14, 13 12:32 AM
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Unprecedented Level Of Sophistication

Story: A serial killer is on the loose and has your daughter! Known as the Lonely Hearts Killer, the madman kills his victims, all of whom have suffered recent romantic loss, 30 days after they first disappear. The police of your 19th century town are without clues and time is running out.

Developer: Magicindie Softworks
Release Date: Dec 2012
Extras: Interactive Map, Film Grain Option

The first game in this series was well worth its five star rating, but this sequel makes it look like a trial run. What makes this game so special?

Let’s start with its story – no magic or ghosts – just a genuinely scary human monster. Although beautifully presented, there is nothing ‘cute’ about this game. The atmosphere is unrelentingly grown up, the characters, and the tension, feel real. Our interaction with the detective is superbly presented, with cutscenes as good as any I’ve seen. And what a treat to ‘give voice’ with professionally acted voiceovers – including our own middle-aged pompous self!

Needless to say, all the visuals are extremely well done and thoroughly professional, the HO scenes are beautiful, interactive and imaginative. The balance between HOs and puzzles ‘felt’ right, although I was far too involved in the gameplay to be counting.

Gets my vote for the ‘Oscar’.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 16, 13 3:40 AM
I am totally, 100% agreeing with Valdy and JustTheFacts! The animation is amazing, especially the detective. The map is very cleverly done. There is a level of humor here as well as mystery. I will buy this one!

Edited on 04/16/2013 at 3:43:13 AM PST

Go to: