Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

Comments 'FAIRLY TWISTED TALES: THE PRICE OF A ROSE"

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Dec 15, 12 12:42 AM
The following is based on playing a Beta Test

The graphics are bright sharp and colorful until you get to some of the hidden object scenes which then become fuzzy and bland. The hidden object scenes are somewhat interactive and each supply you with a number of objects and clues to move forward. There is also a change of pace by adding fragmented scenes which are combined with useful inventory. There are two modes of play unless they make any changes I recommend the harder mode otherwise the game is just too easy. Even in the harder mode there is still too much info given on how some of the inventory should be used. Hopefully the developers will make some changes here.
The story is a take on Beauty and the Beast, as per the title it seems to have a whole different set of characters in which mysteries and soap operas abound.
We are sent on the main mission to break the Beasts spell on Belle.
There are six chapters with a short prologue. The Beta only gave the first chapter and unless we have a number of red herrings there seems to be skulduggery with some war going on.
There is a very useful map for traveling which will help because the Test ended in what seemed the end of the first chapter leaving some loose ends which could not be completed without needed objects which were not available in this chapter.
Nothing really new here, but the game play was smooth and the story made me curious enough to want to go on and see where the twist in the story took us.

Forgot to mention played a few times and each time there was a new mix of objects and new solutions to the puzzles in case anyone likes to replay their games.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Comments 'FAIRLY TWISTED TALES: THE PRICE OF A ROSE"

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 15, 12 1:46 AM
Well, it may not have quite the same 'spark' for me as the Detective Quest game, but I liked it enough, that I will be purchasing it next week (gotta wait til pay day)

I have to admit, when I saw the magical garden and chateau, I momentarily hoped we would also have talking furniture and teapots and candles, al la the animated Disney version of the story, but alas, we do not (not in the demo anyway, lol

I liked getting the comments from the different characters, but I did wonder where everyone disappeared to, once Bella was taken.
And how did her father know exactly where Bella was, when she screamed? Hmmm, methinks the plot thickens, lol.

Jen

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Dec 15, 12 1:47 AM
The game was nice but too easy for me even in hard mode. In hard mode they're weren't suppose to have any sparkles but they were there.

Sorry developers but it's a no buy for me.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Dec 15, 12 3:12 AM
I probably will buy at some point. First h o scene I had to
use hint 3x to find unspottable objects.
Then, later, I guess I am psychic cause I need to find out
what happened to someone before it happens
My character lost his invitation faster than I lose my glasses

Normally, I love Blue Tea games. This one, for me, is ok.

mamajay Talking teapots...now that would really make
me buy right away

Whoops...discovered its not a BT games. That would explain
why it looked so different, to me, from their other games.

Edited on 12/15/2012 at 6:51:11 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 15, 12 5:45 AM
This is a fantastic game. It gets better and better the longer you play. Also the graphics seem to improve. And the images are just so gorgeous. I wish I could use several of them as wallpaper.
Some of the HOS are different from the rest, and I love that too. I just love everything about this game.

What a wonderful surprise for today. Thank you so much, developers!

Edited on 12/15/2012 at 6:14:34 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 15, 12 6:03 AM
A great game! Lot of things to do. Love the HOS.

Thanks devs and BF!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 15, 12 6:31 AM
This is from the makers of samantha swift and midnight mysteries. For a straight SE I think it's good and I've just bought it after finishing demo.

It's an old fashioned game and I mean that in the best sense, the plot is good, graphics a bit unusual and different but I like them especially once you hit the gardens of the castle. Some scenes at the beginning are very dark. I like the game as it feels a bit different.

If you have bad eyesight unless you like hitting the hint button a lot (and I've had to use it a few times) some items at the beginning were really hard to see to even pick up and some HOS items were nearly impossible for me to see. So I think this is a good game for those that like harder HOS and to find some items but like really easy puzzles and quite easy gameplay.

I actually jumped and I never do that in any game *with the snake*

I do think beauty and the beast (mystery legends) was better so far re this plot and gameplay but it's a nice change of pace, even if it is too easy (apart from picking things up). Do wish there was no sparkles on HOS. But liking it so far.

Back to it.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Dec 15, 12 7:56 AM
This is a nice game not outstading for me because I really felt there was more they could have done within each scene I went into. I kinda felt like the Devs had a sole purpose and did not do any side things that would have for me made the game even more fun to play. I mean, why put so much detail in a scene and then not let you do much within each scene. For those who like HOs you will love this because there are lots of them.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Dec 15, 12 9:31 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed this game. As others have said, it is based on Beaty & the Beast fairy tale.

I've been playing this game for 6 1/2 hours and have just finished it so certainly feel I got my moneys worth. I think it will have good replay value too as there are so many different scenes and locations. I found it hard to remember what I needed where some of the time as some items were found a long time before they were needed and with a memory like mine (Swiss Cheese ) I was really glad of the walkthrough.

Thanks developers and BF for a really good game.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 15, 12 9:38 AM
Valdy wrote:This is a fantastic game. It gets better and better the longer you play. Also the graphics seem to improve. And the images are just so gorgeous. I wish I could use several of them as wallpaper.
Some of the HOS are different from the rest, and I love that too. I just love everything about this game.

What a wonderful surprise for today. Thank you so much, developers!

Totally agree! I used a pcc and am happy cos I was beginning to think there wasn't much point getting them cos there was nothing to use them on. Not blaming BF or the developers - it's just that the bar has been considerably raised of late.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Dec 15, 12 9:43 AM
I downloaded and installed. Can't wait to play but will have to wait till tonight. Thanks for all the comments.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 15, 12 10:07 AM
yes, this is a very good game, the longer you paly it. if you seem to have a problem, try to reinstall your game.---------doug & lisa

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 15, 12 11:11 AM
It is a good length game, I have a cold not feeling well so my patience wasn't as long as it usually is and I used hints and a walkthrough couple of times. If I didn't I would think it would be easily be 5-6hrs.

Not a stellar game but still a good one especially for a straight SE.

Edited on 12/15/2012 at 11:12:27 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 15, 12 12:41 PM
Some of these regular games are longer than the CEs, go figure. This was a really long one for me, many more hours than I expected. I like the long ones, lol.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Dec 15, 12 11:09 PM
I rather liked this game.

My only frustration was you had to return to several places for a HO scene, but there was no knowing where you had to go. The hints only move you one screen at a time, and the pathway is linear, so you end up going VERY slowly for a long time.

The map allows you to jump (hooray!). This should have been integrated with the hint so the hint would tell you where you had to go and you could jump there.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy. It's a very long game

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 16, 12 2:31 AM
sheilamilo wrote:I rather liked this game.

My only frustration was you had to return to several places for a HO scene, but there was no knowing where you had to go. The hints only move you one screen at a time, and the pathway is linear, so you end up going VERY slowly for a long time.

The map allows you to jump (hooray!). This should have been integrated with the hint so the hint would tell you where you had to go and you could jump there.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy. It's a very long game

I agree. Especially towards the end, when I had to go from one end to the other to fetch something I needed yet again at the other end, but didn't know at the time I was looking for it, it would have been nice if the Hint button had just told me where to look next rather than just pointing me in the right direction.

Anyway... I have now finished the game, and what a really nice game this was. Had no problems of any kind, and had a great time playing this fabulous game.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 16, 12 6:24 AM
I am surprised that this game has garnered a fair share of average reviews. I thought this was one of the most engaging games I have played in a good while! I enjoyed this more than several of the most recent games I have played. Well over 6 hours of gameplay and a good storyline with very pretty graphics. Some of the h.o. scenes, especially the fragmented ones were quite challenging, at least to these older eyes looking for small items.

Most fairy tale games leave me somewhat bored towards the end, ready for the game to be over, but this game held my interest to the very end. Some folks don't like all the running back and forth to find items, but that always adds to the challenge for me. It's the reason I enjoyed games like Phantasmat, Raincliff and Dorian Gray. More often than not, I don't even use the jump map because it also adds to the challenge and satisfaction of completing a goal. I admit I needed the hint button more often than I usually do, with a large inventory of items and wondering where I should be next. All in all, this was a great game from a new Dev (new to me) and I salute them on a job well done!

[Post New]by lavenderface on Dec 29, 12 4:44 PM
Sorry this threads a little bit stale, but it just came to mind that...

The original Disney film of Beauty and the Beast was going to be set in 18th century France and Belle's family was a bit wealhier and she had a sister.
There was also a woman, I think an aunt, that tried to arrange her marriage.
So perhaps the development team are a bit researched in all the versions of this story and have brought it together for their 'twist', not just creating the cast and setting out of no where.

I did wrote a review for this game the other day and forgot to mention some items were hard to see or needed to be clicked in the right place.
And I really agree with the idea of the maps/hints being more integrated.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Dec 30, 12 2:21 AM
I'm enjoying this game so far, very nice graphics, puzzles and HO scenes !

LuckyKK
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyKK on Dec 31, 12 9:02 PM
I just wanted to comment & say KUDOS & Thank you to the devs of this game. There were SO Many Beautiful Scenes in this game, I deliberately went back & forth sometimes, rather than using the map to jump (which feature, btw, I love). I would love to have some of those scenes as wallpaper. Just BEAUTIFUL - the garden, the fountain areas, the forest, by the castle. So Many. Congrats & Keep Up the Good Work. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Go to: