bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for The Torment of Whitewall Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 16, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Torment of Whitewall Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Torment of Whitewall Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Torment of Whitewall Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 16, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 16, 12 1:09 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

Your Diary is at the left.

Also at the left is your Map. It shows you where you are, where some action is needed, and you can use it to jump.

The Hint button is at the right.

Also at the right is your SG (strategy guide). It only shows the first chapter in the demo.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) I have come across so far, and which are partly interactive, are junk piles, and the graphics look rough.
However, strangely enough, I had no trouble finding objects.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons fill within 25-30 seconds in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

The look and feel of this game is that of an adventure game with HOS thrown in.
The system cursor wasn't as informative as I would have liked, so I had to switch to the rather ugly-looking custom cursor. Also, there is no widescreen for me.

On the whole, I really like this game, but will wait for the SE to come out, because I didn't get the feeling that this game is CE material, especially since there are no extras like achievements, etc.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 16, 12 1:20 AM
Played 30 minutes, easy

- 3 modes, easy, normal, hard

- Integrated SG which only shows one chapter, it doesn't mention a bonus chapter in the extras

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- Map, you can jump from one place to another and it shows areas of interest

- Beautiful animated characters

- Hint refills quickly in easy mode

- H0, you interact, you sometimes have to perform an action to access them

- Good mini games

- Skip button which fills very quickly

- Gorgeous graphics

- Good music

Young women are being kidnapped by a shadow. You're the detective and investigate with the help of a little boy. This looks like a very good game, a straight buy for me.

Now that the game has installed in my GM, I can say that there are

3 chapters + bonus play

Edited on 12/16/2012 at 1:50:58 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Dec 16, 12 1:27 AM
I don't see what makes this game a CE. Grainy graphics, too much chit chat, too many bog standard HOGs with tiny non descript items. I played normal mode (usually known as advanced).

Dislike the custom cursor. Can't really see the difference between it in normal mode and when you can move to a new location. When you need an action it turns into a coloured swirly thing.

Because of tech issues I had, I replayed under a different profile. After all this I only had a 40 minute trial, but I exited before the end as I was bored with the too frequent junk pile HOS.

All far too blurry for me, and the HO scenes had items that were just too small and barely looked like the items on the list. The interaction in the HOGs was very old school, and more like games developed 3 to 4 years ago..

Had an old feel to this game as far as puzzles, HO and graphics goes.

I don't usually pass by a CE (think they are my obsession lol), but wouldn't want this game if it we're free.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 16, 12 1:53 AM
This is another game from a dev I'm not familiar with. And this "new" dev hasn't come up with anything but an ordinary game, at best. Absolutely doesn't measure up to the CEs we've been seeing lately.

The only positive comment I can make is that the story is mildly interesting----but nothing to jump out of one's chair about.

The rest of the measures of a CE game are where the devs have failed:
-There is no widescreen, certainly easy enough to do as so many other devs have clearly shown.
-The graphics are quite rough, and have a lack of sharpness.
-The HOS are absolutely some of the worst junk pile scenes you'll find. And many of the objects to find are very small and indistinct.
-There are items in the junkpile that require an extra step to find, but these unimaginative devs have thoughtfully given you a sparkle to show where each of the extra steps are, defeating the whole purpose.

The CE bonus material is the usual, but there's a problem there, too. They come right out and admit that the bonus game will explain what happened 100 years before, and references are made to that in the main game----so you need the bonus game to have the complete story! Bad idea.
And the rest is wallpapers, concept art art, and musical soudtracks----I guess those things are nice, but the more I think about how very little extra programming those things entail, the more I hope I'm not actually paying for that bit of fluff. In this or any other game.

So overall, this is a poor example of a CE game----poorly thought out, poorly executed, and certainly not a CE, especially in comparison to what we've been seeing. No way for me on this one----not even interested in the SE. I'm very surprised that BF ok'd this as a CE.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Dec 16, 12 1:58 AM
I thought the game looked very nice. No problem with the cursor or screen size, graphics, audio or nuisance sparkles. It seems like a nice relaxing way to kill an hour or two. I personally prefer that there aren't any achievements, they always seem like distractions rather than adding anything to the game, just my opinion. The puzzles were a little simple and that is the only thing stopping me buying it but as a SE it'll be in my GM. Certainly worth a go and I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it.

Edited on 12/16/2012 at 2:00:23 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 16, 12 3:32 AM
I also don't think this is CE material. I still had 31 min left on my demo...........when it said ty for playing.............If this is only 3 chapters like they say, then WOW what a short game...............................maybe a punch when the SE comes out.....................I'll check later this afternoon to see what others say about the length...........................then I shall make up my mind if I will purchase the SE.................GOOD GAMING FISHIES..................I still have a lot of games that I have not played yet........................lucky for me...............

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 16, 12 3:51 AM
Slight warning ... the introduction of the game has you zooming through the streets as though you were riding a rollercoaster so those of you susceptible to anything that moves might want to look out of the corner of your eye until you get to the title screen.

This game did fill my desktop widescreen , the voices were good and the story fairly interesting but I didn't like the custom cursor and found it a bit unwieldy to start with and I also had to click some things more than once. The graphics are not the best but I did manage to located the majority of the objects and when I used the hint button for the odd one here or there it refilled in about 45 secs on the Normal difficulty setting.

I agree with the others that this game does not appear to be CE quality and for that reason I will wait for the SE before buying.

Cherb

kangoods
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by kangoods on Dec 16, 12 6:39 AM
I made the unfortunate decision of buying now. While ingeneral this is a good game it is not good CE material it is a VERY short game and not worth the price. Wish I had waited till the standard addition came out.

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Dec 16, 12 9:12 AM
I played the demo - it lasted 35 minutes for me, but that was plenty! The graphics are grungy, but not in a good way. The HOS were a mess with many things made small. There was way too much dialogue. The story is rather unoriginal - to the point that we had a very similar story just the other day - that one also with way too much dialogue. The animations were not very good, although the characters were nicely conceived.

Guess what - no way I am buying this as a CE, and I honestly wouldn't buy it as an SE either.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 16, 12 9:23 AM
While not a horrible game - yep - agree this one is a bit of a dissapointment. Of course with a the game sale this weekend - was rather hoping for a CE from that dev...this may add to the dissapointment a bit

The story is quite interesting and I do want to see how it ends - but *sigh* the game does not run smoothly at all. No horrible tech issues (for me anyway) but the cursor is draggy and I'm having trouble "settling" it over important items and/or places where it changes.

The graphics are ok - I think the scenery and the H0 scenes are nice - but the people aren't that well done and that distracts from the overall...and yes, let's face it we've had some stunning CEs of late and you can't help but compare.

Chalk this up to one of those days I wish we could spend GCs on CEs I'd go for that, but for now will hold onto my and see if something stunning comes up next week.

Hate to leave all those poor girls stranded on that island with some monster around, but it's just not quite a good enough game for me to buy and save them today

Do try it for yourself - it may be one you love! And...

Happy Gaming!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 16, 12 9:31 AM
Hmmmm. Not a bad game, not exceptional either. Graphics are pretty good, but a bit grainy. Nice voice overs (always a plus for me). Music not bad either. Game play seems good. Didn't care for the constant swaying of the characters..made me think of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Hint system worked well. SG not bad, not wordy like a lot of them. On the fence about this one. Yes, I do want to find out what is happening, but I prefer knowing how long the game is before I purchase one. I did like this one (not love it) and will probably purchase later, but not sure it is worth the CE price. Just didn't feel like a CE. Seemed too short, but I could be wrong.

For now, this one goes in my puddle for later, before tossing into the pond with the rest of my games. As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may really like it, or not. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 16, 12 11:01 AM
I think this game is quite good. The voice overs are great and I think the graphics are clear and crisp. Puzzles seem to be good and the HOG's are too. Has a map and hints on things that still need to be done and you can click on the place to go there. It is very well done. Guess everyone out there has difference of opinion, which is good to have. Give this one a 4 out 5 stars..

[Post New]by Sonseeahray27 on Dec 16, 12 2:26 PM
I like it also very much and I think the graphics are just fitting for that storyline and the timeframe.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 16, 12 3:37 PM
I enjoyed the demo. I thought the hidden object scenes (interactive) were farily easy, as were the mini-games. A few objects were well hidden, but not too small. Instructions for the mini-games were clear. True, the story is nothing new, but how many are? And it is well-told by the many characters.

This game played in WIDESCREEN for me. I had no trouble with the cursor or navigation. The voice overs are well done and fit the characters. The graphics are just good, not great. That was the only part of the game that did not feel "new."

For those who are sensitive, it has a scary (creepy) element to it. Highlight below to see 2 from the demo:
1. You get a quick glimpse the disfigured face of a teenaged girl.
2. There are a flock (?) of bats that fly by your face.

Overall, I liked the game and will probably purchase the SE, provided it is long enough.

ETA: SE

Edited on 12/16/2012 at 3:39:46 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 16, 12 7:55 PM
Not worthy of the price of a CE. And definitely not in the same class as those from Elephant games. This should have been an SE. It is inferior in every way. The graphics are grainy and dark and depressing. The games are not of the caliber of other devs. Absolutely will mot purchase this game. This dev has produced other games which have been presented on this site. They are dark, depressing and not CE worthy. I would not recommend this game to anyone. These devs use the same format in their games repetitively. They need to change their themes and graphics.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Dec 16, 12 8:30 PM
I am happy to see that I am not the only one that is dissapointed in this game. It seemed slow moving. Not the grapics,but the story . Not a CE game. The ones that we have been getting have had great gameplay,graphics and story lines. I will pass on this game. I don't even know if I will even buy the SE.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 17, 12 2:14 AM
I'm a little bit behind on my remarks, but that's what an overnight hospital stay will do to ya.

First of all, this game is from the same developers who offered us "Strange Cases--The Tarot Card Mystery" and "Strange Cases--The Lighthouse Mystery." Both, pretty good games. Now, on to this one.

As Cherb noted, the opening sequence might require some "Dramanine" for folks that are sensitive to motion. Nice Options menu--three sliders for music, sound, and voice. Yes, voice--I think it's done well. Cursor choice (the game cursor is kinda clunky) and screen choice (good luck to those who need the widescreen option).

Storyline--girls in a 19th-century London were being kidnapped, and of course, we're being called in to investigate. No surprise here! This is a true H0PA, with emphasis on the "A." The music is very repetitive, so I turned the speakers down, if not off. Good gameplay modes (3); the characters are somewhat stiff and cartoonish-looking; the graphics are not "tops," but the H0 scenes are playable and interactive. I always like a Hint system that works outside the H0 scenes--points you where to go next. And an interactive map? Good deal. Mini-games so far? Pretty easy.

I really liked the first two games from this developer, but this one doesn't quite measure up. Still, it's a fun mystery. I bought the CE, but I could have waited for the SE. Test it for yourself.

Regards, elldee

Oldgamer99
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Dec 17, 12 7:43 AM
Against my better judgement, I purchased this game. What a let down! IMO, this is NOT even close to CE quality, at least the quality we have come to expect. It's also way too short for a CE. The main story only has three chapters filled with WAY too many HOs. Not that I don't like a good HO, but come on -- each HO screen was visited at least twice and sometimes more. I guess it's a good try for a new dev, but not at CE price.

Go to: