bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Dr. Mal: Practice of Horror

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 17, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dr. Mal: Practice of Horror? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dr. Mal: Practice of Horror page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dr. Mal: Practice of Horror

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 17, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 17, 12 1:54 AM
I sometimes play sol, but this one is so boring. The doc keeps doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over............lol I had to turn the vol off cause started to get sick of hearing the butcher repeating, worse then a parrot.............wack a mole for extra cards is so lame...................sorry wanted something diff well this is not it......................................BUT TRY FOR YOURSELVES FISHIES

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 17, 12 2:08 AM
Morning, all...

Well, I love playing Solitaire games, and own quite a few of these games.

However, when I looked at the screenshots this morning, I thought: what a horrible-looking game.

But... just to satisfy my curiosity, I downloaded it anyway and played the demo. And I am glad I did. This is a really fun game. It's one of the "one higher or one lower" type of games, which I love best.

This game does not have a shop where you can buy things like an extra "Undo" and such, but you get those by playing a hand: the more cards are off the table the higher the blood pressure at the right goes. And the higher it goes the more power-ups you get.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Normal and Tricky.

You can win awards, and there are trinkets that the good doctor takes from his patients, and which you can look at. Hmmm....

For each patient you get, you get 3 cards to play (brain, bone, blood - to be diagnosed), and you can get up to 3 stars for each hand you play.
Each patient requires a minimum amount of stars to be properly diagnosed, and for you to move on. If, for example, you only need 6 stars, you can then move to the next patient after having played the first 2 cards (as long you got 3 stars on each card). But for more stars you can continue and play the last card as well.
If you continue, then the next patient will not automatically be on the bed once you have finished with the last card.
Click on the map at the back wall with the trinkets, and then click on the next trinket that still has a red line undernath it, showing that this patient hasn't been diagnosed yet. When you click on this trinket, the next patient will appear.

Also you can change the back of the cards to either another image or just a plain colour (thank goodness). You can also change the way the cards lay, either straight or slightly off to one side, etc. So don't let the images in the screenshots deter you from at least trying out this game.

BTW, if you get tired of the continues shouts of "yayyy" and such from the good doctor, you can silence some of his shouts by clicking on that little red box at the bottom right-hand corner. Aaaah... much better.

Anyway, enjoyed the game so far, and am off to get it.

Forgot to mention: You want to play the tutorial, so that you get to know what is what. At first I didn't play the tutorial - being an old hand at these games, but saw quickly that a few things needed explaining.

Edited on 12/17/2012 at 3:13:37 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 17, 12 5:00 AM

Edited on 12/18/2012 at 1:51:00 AM PST

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Dec 17, 12 5:13 AM
I love solitaire but not this one; it has ugly cartoony graphics and annoying music/sounds. I couldn't ignore that and so it wasn't fun to play... kids might like it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 17, 12 5:19 AM
About the ugly cartoony graphics NiceZombie mentioned:

When I first saw the front of the cards, I was quite put out. But when I downloaded the game, I noticed that if you click on any of the 4 top cards then you get cartoonish images, but if you click on any of the "A"ces below, then you get the normal set of cards with everyday images.

I never play the music, so can't comment on that. But the sounds are just the normal ones you hear with card games. As I said, you can disable the doctor's voice, so he only says certain things but is quiet the rest of the time.

I really like this game. It also has a mini game, where you have to wack the doctor over the head (but not the beaver or whatever that is). For so-and-so many wacks, you get extra card added to your deck.

Edited on 12/17/2012 at 5:23:28 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 17, 12 6:52 AM
Ooh, thanks, Valdy, I kept whacking the beaver and couldn't figure out why it was game over immediately It's an alright 1 up/ 1 down card game, but I would just as soon replay Emerland, Fairway, or Fairy Solitaire. I would consider it as a DD one day.
The music for the intro scene reminds me of The Munsters or Addams Family, can't remember which. Seems like it takes a while to load new layouts.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 17, 12 7:55 AM
shagwendy wrote:Ooh, thanks, Valdy, I kept whacking the beaver and couldn't figure out why it was game over immediately It's an alright 1 up/ 1 down card game, but I would just as soon replay Emerland, Fairway, or Fairy Solitaire. I would consider it as a DD one day.
The music for the intro scene reminds me of The Munsters or Addams Family, can't remember which. Seems like it takes a while to load new layouts.

LOL I too kept wacking the beaver over the head and wondered why I didn't earn any cards. And then I tried it with the doc, and voila... it worked.

The layouts of the cards load instantly for me. Also, I am now further into the game and saw that whereas you start out with 3 cards, later on you get 4 cards (and perhaps more after that). There are 50 levels and, I think, that when I finished the first 10, I got 4 cards. So after I finish level 20, I might get 5 cards.

Also, the amount of stars you need to get a diagnosis will increase as well, so it will get harder.

I really like this game. Apart from the goofy-looking patients and doctor, the game itself is really fun.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 17, 12 9:05 AM

Edited on 12/18/2012 at 1:56:10 AM PST

glocal
Flounder
Flounder
2,408 Posts

[Post New]by glocal on Dec 17, 12 9:27 AM
I luv solitaire games, but, not this one. It is silly, even for kids, and not challenging fun.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Dec 17, 12 9:37 AM
hello fishies, i am really enjoying the demo, the patients symptoms really make me smile...big kid at heart!!..i think i will buy this game when i get my game credit, which should be sometime today

njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by njmathews on Dec 17, 12 10:03 AM
I'm a big fan of solitaire (I played Avalon Legends while this downloaded) and I was curious to see if this was funny or just strange. For me it was both, which is just what I look for when I need a break from dark adventure games! But definitely plays to a specific sense of humor, so try before you buy. I did and I did.

P.S. And I'm a sucker for the occasional Whack a Mole!

Edited on 12/17/2012 at 10:05:27 AM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Dec 17, 12 10:41 AM
Thanks Valdy I was wondering how to move to next patient < I will now go back to demo , might buy got a couple of Free games I like the solitaire games I can pick up when I only have a short time to spare so far this game does seem a little different

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 17, 12 11:57 AM
CRAZY! Thats my opinion on this game, not worth paying $6.99 and don't even know if I would buy it anyway.

Edited on 12/17/2012 at 11:58:27 AM PST

[Post New]by Cuddlefish on Dec 17, 12 12:28 PM
I didn't like the music and I didn't much like the graphics but am a sucker for solitaire games so I played the demo anyway.

Part way through the demo, the game got much more challenging and I got interested. In the end it should be the cardplay that influences whether I like a game rather than the nuttiness it is surround by (though aesthetics ARE nice)

May buy this and play with the sound off because I think it is a good solitaire game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 17, 12 2:23 PM
I like solitair games and have 3 that I play regularly. This one is just weird. The graphics are okay for what they are. The game play is okay. They music about drove me nuts and the characters are just too goofy. There are very few games that I don't recommend (mainly because there is something of interest in it), but this isn't one of them.

There wasn't any challenge to this game and it really wasn't fun. There was no real purpose to what was going on and it got very boring very quickly. Personally, I don't think this is for adults and not too sure about the kids (too silly). Definite no buy for me on this one.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by rhodalumpkin on Dec 17, 12 6:54 PM

Edited on 12/18/2012 at 1:44:09 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Dec 21, 12 10:56 AM
I was really hoping this would be good. Just not challenging at all. Gets very boring quickly. Cute graphics though.

[Post New]by desktopgaming on Jan 3, 13 6:41 AM
The number of stars needed is the same as in Normal mode, so the differences are not so easily distinguished on earlier levels, but they are there, and become more evident as you progress. The early levels are designed to introduce the player to the game (along with Tutorial mode) - particularly for those who haven't played this type of game [much] before.

In Tricky mode, the number of bonus/wildcards is significantly reduced, and the rate at which the bonus gauge on the right increases is also slower. It will also become exponentially more difficult to make lengthy card combos as you progress, as the cards are placed more randomly - again this results in the bonus gauge not increasing as quickly, meaning you have to use your bonuses much more wisely. The Whack-a-Mal bonus round is also slightly faster, and fewer cards are given as a reward.

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 6:42:37 AM PST

Go to: