bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Hero of the Kingdom

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 20, 12 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Hero of the Kingdom? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Hero of the Kingdom page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hero of the Kingdom

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 20, 12 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 20, 12 1:20 AM
This is an interesting game.

It is like an interactive story, the game play is simplistic as you follow around a map doing tasks- maybe it gets more complicated later or maybe not but there is something intriguing about the game and story that wants me to keep on playing.

Hard to say how long the game will be too- there are achievements you earn as you complete tasks and I seemed to complete quite a few in the short time I demoed.

If i need a game to fill my punch card this may be the one.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Dec 20, 12 4:48 AM
I felt that this is more of an adventure game than TMG. There is not really that time invoived, rather having a lot of tasks involved, kinda like Avalon etc.

I dont like the gram, graphics is horric, and the character are so tiny it is almost impossible to see. I cant even see the mushrooms to pick and I always had to click on hint to know what to do next

Its a good save that the map is interactive. Other than this, colors of scenery is yucks, no voice over, not much animation, slow going!

Unless u are an adventure game (and wouldnt mind the graphics and no conversation etc), then u would find it nice.

ME???

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Dec 20, 12 6:15 AM
Ugh!! I was excited when I saw it said TM game, but it is so mind numbing to have to read, read, read, paragraph after paragraph to know what to do next. I could only stand 8 min of it and it had to go.
Graphics are so detailed and on the dark side, could not see the little guys, the game makes you do what it considers is next and every thing is all laid out, you just read, etc and click it and it is done. Not like you have a choice or able to strategize, and if it is suppose to be TM could not see timer and you did not know what the goals are, except one step at a time, again, read, read, read, read.
NOT FOR ME, Thanks anyway.
How about a MKFTP number 4, how about another timebuilders, or a rescue frenzy???
Where are the good games? Still waiting.

tezaber
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by tezaber on Dec 20, 12 7:13 AM
HORRIBLE! Please, game developers, use English speaking copyeditors to thoroughly work on all of the text prior to releasing a game. Just about every single chunk of reading---and there's a ton ot it---had either misspellings, changes in past to present tense, no punctuation, repetitive words, etc. It was irritating!!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 20, 12 7:49 AM
This game automatically filled my widescreen monitor and the music is OK playing quietly in the background.

Well the first word I wrote down on my pad was <yawn> because I felt there was just far too much reading to do initially and I thought that some of it was totally unnecessary but it is the "solitary army's" way of immersing you in the story and making you play the tutorial at the same time.

I decided to be fair to the devs and play out the full demo and I am really glad that I did because all that reading abates to a more acceptable level and you can wander hither and thither at your own speed doing things in your own order to a certain extent and
I am now enjoying it a lot .

This game is similar to Island Castaway in that you go from one person/place to another to another satisfying their requests and getting help from them in return as you make you way to rescue your father who has been kidnapped by bandits.

Unlike Castaway however the items that you can collect round the landscape are miniscule but, once I realised that I could actually collect the eggs, mushrooms, crayfish etc they became much easier to spot even though the eggs are the size of a letter o. Tip ... if you click on something that you can collect it will sparkle and a close-up box will appear of the item, you must click the close-up too in order to collect it and also to be able to continue playing the game. If you don't you will see red X on everything and you won't even be able to exit to another scene.

If you are not sure what to do there is a ? in the bottom right hand corner but I found checking other areas and my inventory to see what I was short of (the satchel holds as much, if not more, than the one in Castaway ) was usually sufficient to keep me moving in the right direction.

You will use energy travelling and fishing and collecting herbs, fighting wolves and bears and this must be replenished so make sure you keep an eye on it ... rest stops cost money at the inn, fruit at another, bread at another etc so always keep some handy .

I had to drag myself away in order to come and tell you how much I am enjoying this game and, having done so, I am off to play some more .

Cherb

DEVS ... Please listen to the criticisms of the people above and then you might sell your game to them as well as me .

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Dec 20, 12 8:07 AM
Wonderful review, cherb, thank you! Exactly the same happened to me: At first I thought, gawd, will it ever go on (you get much more freedom later, after the tutorial-like hints are over) and everything so small... but I wandered on and found it developing very nicely. Tasks and quests; I'm wondering already what I can learn from that Mage.
Let me add to the "click away every close-up" that you can also make the speech (in the game window) go away faster, when you put your mouse over it and it becomes yellow.
I'm not sure yet whether the ressources re-appear or whether I overlooked some at first, but it's also worth to go back to find more things.

I believe that BFG put it in the wrong category with TM game, which raises false expectations and thus, disappointment. This is not a TM, nor a builder.

edited for typo correction

Edited on 12/21/2012 at 6:15:07 AM PST

[Post New]by xander32839 on Dec 20, 12 11:35 AM
Thank you to _DD and cherbtoo. I thought I would enjoy this game, but did not in 20 minutes of demo. I gave up until others reviewed further. Now, I'll go back to test it some more.

My initial impression was that it's similar to Island Castaway, but I was led around the entire time, performing easy tasks in the order they chose. There was no indication that I would ever be allowed free reign to explore and level up on my own. It all seemed pointless to click on each circle, read their (grammatically horrible) text, and follow a "choose your path" adventure. The only items I collected were from clicking big circles on the map which told you what to do next (with a check mark or an X to let you know if you were capable of performing that action yet). There was absolutely no challenge to the game whatsoever. It would have been nice if they informed you that it was still part of the tutorial.

I'm looking forward to moving ahead in the demo. If the game is similar to Island Castaway, then I'll probably love it (I own both one and two). My main concern with HotK is the grammar, so I hope the text boxes are less frequent as I continue.

I'll return later with an update on my own findings.

The game does improve a little as you move further along the map. Collecting the hidden mushrooms and eggs on the map added a cute hidden object aspect to it. It's still a very simple game to play, along the lines of the two Island Castaways games or Wandering Willows. Being able to move freely and attempt tasks in whichever order I prefer is a big plus. Luckily, too, the short text parts to read are short - I wish developers would pay more attention to that part of the game (and I'm talking about ALL developers). There are quite a few good games that I refused to purchase simply because the grammar was atrocious.

All in all, I enjoyed this game enough to buy it. I'm using a credit, though.

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 5:09:41 PM PST

lisakell
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by lisakell on Dec 20, 12 2:17 PM
I totally agree with cherbtoo, once you get through the tutorial bits this game really grows on you and I've been hooked for hours. I was a bit afraid at first that it wouldn't be a very long game, but the story developes and continue even after finding dad.
But I also agree about the grammar, I'm no expert on english, but this is really embarrassing sometimes.

shroomn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by shroomn on Dec 20, 12 4:29 PM
i really enjoy this game... it's pretty much undescribeable... din't think i'd like it after reading the only review... i downloaded it anyways, and am still playing. had to give it a break for the evening. there is a lot of reading/bad grammar, but the game is great... i'm actually playing w/ the game in windowed mode, so the hidden items are really small... once you get the jist of the shapes... viola... the reading informs you of where/what to do next. although there is a hint (?), it only tells you where you should go, how much more money, etc. told me to go to the water mill... where's the water mill. i use the map/hint quite a bit... i used the hint more towards the end... needed a sword and shield. couldn't find it anywhere til i completed other tasks. hang in there, it's really fun... just fyi... i purchased fishdom 3 because of the reviews, and i think it is quite boring/almost impossible to get gold/not enough power-ups, etc... this game is too much fun... it's a nice change to m3, tmg's, etc... move at your own pace... i used a free game code and would've been more than happy to purchase it... remember to keep your power up!!!... ENJOY!!!

metmichallica
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,184 Posts

[Post New]by metmichallica on Dec 20, 12 5:40 PM

Edited on 12/22/2012 at 3:01:13 AM PST

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on Dec 20, 12 10:10 PM
I love this game - but was a bit confused in the beginning. Its just great and interesting, and there is a LOT to do.

suelyn
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by suelyn on Dec 21, 12 12:09 AM
I agree with the other comments about this being misclassified as a time management, although I'm not quite sure what the right category is.

At first I actually did quite like the game. The graphics are nice, and the idea quite clever. Having said that though, it's a big let down that the game has no randomness to it. If you play again, the same places break your equipment, the herbs, animals, mushrooms/eggs/etc are in the same place (and don't regenerate either) and in the same amount. The quests will kill the same number of soldiers/hunters/etc. So, a lovely little game for one playthough, but no variability means no replayability.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 21, 12 12:47 AM
A delightful role-playing game. Big Fish lumps all these as time management games, which has always seemed absurd to me. There is NO time management involved in this game.

You accrue Fame points by completing quests. This marks your advancement in the game. You have Power points which is your energy. You expend power doing tasks and gain it by resting and eating at a camp or inn. Your other resource is gold. There are a lot of merchants where almost anything can be bought or sold.

Unlike most games of this type, it doesn't focus on combat. The little combat that is included just involves gathering enough resources to win, seeing two crossed swords on screen, and finding out what you found after the battle. Instead of combat you solve problems and help people. The interactive map is one of the best I have seen and eliminates a lot of walking around.

When you demo the game, you start at your farm. As soon as that section of the map is fully revealed, look around and find some edible mushrooms. That is typical of the difficulty of finding objects for your inventory - some objects are a bit easier, some a bit harder. They are very small, so whether you like the game may well depend on your eyesight.

This game was completely done by two brothers in Slovakia and is obviously a labor of love. It lacks the polish of a big game design company, but it is well made and doesn't seem like every other game on the market. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

The English translation is really bad. Their website says someone in London did the translation, but he isn't listed in the credits. If he still works for them, they should fire him. However, it is always understandable, just awkward. For example, the hero wants to "come home" instead of "go home." These are the kind of mistakes that could be fixed by a good beta tester. It bothered me at first, since I am a retired English teacher, but then I decided it was the kind of problem I'd encounter if I really was suddenly in the middle ages and I began to actually enjoy the awkward grammar.

There are many different approaches to take and you can finish the game without completing all the side quests. Try the demo. If you can handle the small objects and bad grammar, then you will really enjoy this gem of a game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 21, 12 6:39 AM
Looking at the screenshots, I wasn't even going to try it, but was asked to give it a go anyway, and... I LOVE IT !!

This game opens in widescreen for me as well !!

I am not much into adventure-type of games anymore, but this is a completely different kind of game.

You have to leave your farm, and try to find your father. On the way you encounter all kinds of people who will either ask you to do something for them (quests) or tell you that you can buy things from them (things that are often needed in the quests), or you can do other things to replenish your food supply, for example. Also, there are sleeping places on the roads, so you can take a nap and/or just have something to eat to get your heart count back up, which you need to do chores.

This is a really fun and interesting game. Simple, yet cleverly done. And a little strategy is needed as well. You may want to buy things you think you need, but in the next part of the way (the map keeps expanding), you will need those coins you just spent down the road for something that will help you to continue your journey.

Anyway, great game, and I got it today with this super Christmas sale.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 21, 12 7:30 AM
I found this game so frustrating. They tell you to do a task but you can't because there are xs everywhere. I got somewhat through part of this game but the hint button is of no use so I had to quit before I through my laptop out the window,

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 21, 12 8:24 AM
When you get an "X" over something, Hannah, it means that you haven't all the resources yet to do that quest. Click on that "X" and a window will open that will tell you what you are still missing to do this quest.

I find this game very easy going. A little strategy is needed, but on the whole, it's a very relaxing and fun game.

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Dec 21, 12 10:22 AM
This game has turned out to be a gem. It's relaxing and interesting. It's fun looking for lost crates, barrels, mushrooms (and now magic mushrooms). I found that it helps me to make notes of where's the best place to sell certain things or buy things.
I almost love it.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Dec 21, 12 12:43 PM
I just finished the game and really enjoyed it. Yes, there were items that were very, very small to find, but I found it challenging. Can appreciate others who have difficulties with that.

Also, you can finish the game before all of your tasks are complete (like I did unfortunately), so be sure to finish them (if you want) before you do what the king asks you to do.

I look forward to a new and improved sequel!

Go to: