cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Comments for Hero of the Kingdom

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 20, 12 12:35 PM
The more I play the more I have got immersed in it and, after playing most of the day and thinking I was getting close to finding father, I have been given more quests to fulful but alas my darn wrist is complaining loudly now so I must abandon it for the rest of today.

For those who really don't like the bad grammar etc, I found that it stopped bothering me after a while as I just concentrated on what I was doing but there again I have never been very good at grammar either because in school I practised shorthand during my english language lessons .

Shhhhh ... don't tell the HOG lovers but I haven't even got as far as trying the CE today .

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

Re:Comments for Hero of the Kingdom

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 21, 12 2:52 PM
SPOILER ALERT.

Here's stuff I really liked, so don't read unless you have finished playing or like spoilers.

I liked that after the final, climatic battle, it doesn't flash to a cut scene and end the game before you are ready. It has you report back to the king, giving you the opportunity to do anything else you want to do before the end.

I loved the map. It was easy to identify areas by both picture and name and made transporting quick and easy.

I appreciated the uncluttered look. The four controls were tucked away in the corners so that all you see is the scene you are playing, not a bunch of buttons and statistics. At first I wished the Power and Gold stats were always visible, but I came to appreciate the fact that removing them from the screen made it much easier to "suspend disbelief."

I liked the interface where you just clicked anywhere on the screen that you wanted to do something rather than moving a little sim character around. I didn't realize how tired I was of watching sims move across the screen until this game removed that feature. When I can see the sim move, I am playing THEM. In this game I was playing ME.

I enjoyed the story. It wasn't just hero fights bad guys. People had real emotions and motivations. It was very well written, just poorly translated. You can't blame the developers. They hired a company to do the translation. If it was me, I'd sue the company.

I loved the homages to numerous early computer games and movies.

Basically, I really liked this game.

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on Dec 21, 12 10:04 PM
Its just a really great game - and for me at least it was necessary to play it several times to find all the secrets

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Dec 21, 12 11:01 PM
Great game! And really long.

I didn't get all of the awards (I thought I had gotten all of the items possible, but I guess not).

Once you get used to clicking all of the borders to find things it got easier.

And I didn't realize there was a map (forgot about it) until right at the end! Jumping was pretty nice when you needed something from a venue far away...

[Post New]by Dutch_BikerBabe on Dec 25, 12 6:02 AM
I really liked this game. I played the tutorial and almost immediatly afterwards bought it. I liked the medieval drawing style, the story and the change of pace for a game. It took me a while to figure out you could click on the mushrooms and eggs and the like. I did not get all the achievements in one go but maybe at the second try

I was kind of surprised that the game ended so suddenly. And the fact that a Dark Lord was responsible for all the evil in the world made me go 'duh'. ^o^
I also thought the map would be bigger, there where still some parts left open, which I had expected would be filled in through the game.

All in all I really liked this game a real recommendation for everybody who would like a change of pace

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 25, 12 6:23 AM
I Love so much about this game. It took me an entire day to get through it,so it's a nice length.I Love that it has no puzzles,and is not disheartening to play like the Westward games where with every advance a devasting tragedy that you have no control over[fire,drought,especially] sets you waaaay back and can bankrupt you!
I LOVE quest based games,and this has many quests to do.I just wish that there were many,many more games of this QUEST-ADVENTURE type,but I imagine they are much more work to create than a simple HOG.

Believe I will replay this one today!

Edited on 12/25/2012 at 8:07:52 AM PST

Turalyon
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by Turalyon on Dec 27, 12 2:25 PM
Game itself is great. What I don't like so far is a lack of some kind of questbook. I had several occasions where I did something and then I was lost and didn't know what to do next with the stuff i just found.

Also, some form of in-game notebook would be nice (like the ability to make notes on the map), that allows me to note where which merchant is located.

gjr1
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by gjr1 on Jan 5, 13 12:38 PM
I love this game. I want another like it. Spoiled me for all else. Do not see why it would be called a time management game, think it is more strategy. I really liked the little bitty hidden rewards, the story line and the multiple areas of play.

lisakell
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by lisakell on Jan 8, 13 9:21 AM
Wow! I just bought a new screen, and now i can really enjoy the graphic which is fantastic. It's almost like a whole new game, and suddenly the mushrooms and other items are really easy to spot.
But I hope there will be a sequel or another game just like this, cause now I've played it so many times it starting to get boring..

sheb61
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by sheb61 on Jan 10, 13 5:05 AM
gjr1 wrote:I love this game. I want another like it. Spoiled me for all else. Do not see why it would be called a time management game, think it is more strategy. I really liked the little bitty hidden rewards, the story line and the multiple areas of play.

I totally agree. One of the best games I've ever played. Am concerned that many fishies will miss this game because it is mis-labeled as a time management game. I hope it becomes a series.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 10, 13 5:14 AM
gjr1 wrote:I love this game. I want another like it. Spoiled me for all else. Do not see why it would be called a time management game, think it is more strategy. I really liked the little bitty hidden rewards, the story line and the multiple areas of play.

Hi, don't know if you know of them,but the only two other games that I know of that are even close are Wandering Willows and The Island: Castaway,be sure to demo them if you have never played them,you will love them as well.

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 5:14:54 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jan 11, 13 7:49 AM
I played the demo but got stuck and didn't know what to do next. I clicked on everything but it kept saying I needed more gold but I didn't know where to get it . I would buy the game if I was sure I could play it through without getting so frustrated I'd want to through my laptop out the window. LOL

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Jan 11, 13 11:27 PM
Love the game, but left it alone for a few days while I did real life stuff, and now I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing. Would be great to have a task list of some sort that you can access along the way. Not too detailed, just "fetch book from town" or "collect 5 golden eggs" and let me figure out where they are and who gets them.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 12, 13 3:41 AM
hannah57 wrote:I played the demo but got stuck and didn't know what to do next. I clicked on everything but it kept saying I needed more gold but I didn't know where to get it . I would buy the game if I was sure I could play it through without getting so frustrated I'd want to through my laptop out the window. LOL

Hi hannah57, you can get more gold by picking/selling herbs/mushrooms, fishing/selling fish,hunting/ selling the meat, skins and antlers.

This has become my favorite quest/resource gathering game!

BTW, Yes, it is true that some things like certain mushrooms,the golden eggs,ect.ARE teeny tiny, but because of the good contrast in the game on my pc anyway[Dell laptop], my 62 year old eyes didn't have any trouble.

Edited on 01/29/2013 at 12:52:01 AM PST

[Post New]by jairo55 on Jan 21, 13 9:33 AM
If you like this game, check out City of Fools.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 28, 13 7:34 AM
This is the most fun I've had in a long time - hope there's going to be a sequel...

Go to: