bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Christmas Stories: The Nutcracker

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 22, 12 12:44 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Christmas Stories: The Nutcracker? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Christmas Stories: The Nutcracker page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 12/22/2012 at 2:16:13 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Christmas Stories: The Nutcracker

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 22, 12 12:45 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 22, 12 12:47 AM
Just click here to jump to the reviews for the CE version of this game!

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 12 1:12 AM
Morning, all...

This game is by Elephant Games and has 8 chapters.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.

There is Widescreen.

If your graphics card can take it, you can tick "Special Effects".

There is voice-over.

There is a choice between a custom and system cursor.

The music (one of my favourites) is from Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite".

The MAP is at the left. It shows you where you are, where actions are needed, and where you have to come back later.

After a short while, a Nutcracker will make his home in your Inventory. He will be of much use to you...

A little later into the game a "Candle" and a "Kitten" will join your "Nutcracker" in the Inventory to help you out whenever they can.

You can lock the Inventory so it stays on top, or open the lock (at the left), so that it disappears until needed.

The Hint button, which is in form of a lantern, is at the right, and tells you exactly what to do when used outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes).

The HOS are interactive, and come in regular intervals, but not too frequently.

Puzzles and Mini games can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons take about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I very much enjoyed the main game, and am glad that I had a map to jump. There are so many places to visit, I even got lost a few times while following the map's route. LOL

I also loved the bonus game, which was kit-ty-licious.

A big "thank you" to Elephant Games for taking out all the stops and giving us a great Christmas with this game.

--- --- ---

The following will probably only apply to the CE version and may be a slight spoiler. So... SPOILER ALERT:

There are 25 Dolls/Dollhouses to be found.

Sometimes you don't see a doll in a certain place, but it will appear after you have done certain things in that scene. So make sure you revisit scenes, and check for the dolls (I believe there is only 1 dollhouse for the dolls that needs to be found).

There are lots of Achievements.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 22, 12 4:20 AM
I agree with everything Valdy has posted! This game rates as one of my all-time favorites and I would love more like it!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Dec 22, 12 7:21 AM
This is a delightful game. I have played the CE including bonus twice--enjoying it both times. If you've been holding out for the SE, grab it! You won't be sorry.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 22, 12 7:31 AM
I agree. But If you can, treat yourself to the CE on this one. It's just a fantastic game in every way. You will not be disappointed.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 22, 12 7:50 AM
*I finished CE game playing hardcore*

Every aspect of the plot was completely 100% tied up in main game. The bonus was a pure bonus plot (not needed to finish the plot in main game), completely separate from the main plot. Apart from one of your secondary helpers (the cat) none of the other characters in the main game were in the bonus chapter.

This is going to be my new Christmas tradition to play this wonderful game every Christmas. From the Tchaikovsky music, to the setting and puzzles being part of story and setting. Everything is nearly perfect apart from the length of main game but we’ll come to that later.

This is a game that you can play with your family and of all the games I’ve played all year it’s the one that has the highest fun factor, it’s a joy to play. The nutcracker’s love - a doll has been kidnapped by King rat and his band of followers and you go and help him to find her aided with some truly fun companions along the way.

Graphics are stunning and it’s such a beautiful game. I’d say you’d have to be the Grinch that stole Christmas games if you weren’t at least enchanted by the beginning of the game (even if you didn’t like it.)

Gameplay mechanics is exactly the same with any other recent elephant game but just in case you forgot – transporter map with hints on all levels, choice of hardness setting which you can change midgame, no hint or skip on hardcore but as usual black bar hints, no random click penalty on HOS and you never repeat them. There is a lockable inventory bar.

12 HOS (hidden object scenes)

While the graphics are super sharp elsewhere, it’s like they are 95% sharp in some HOS. They are well defined but it’s like they want to go the road of some other devs and blend some in slightly. There are some tiny items but I did find them all. Some are junk, some are very cluttered. They are all list type (as usual from elephant) and no mini games in them just mildy/medium interactive.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 22, 12 7:51 AM
continued

14 PUZZLES

There is an info and reset button on them.

I knew as this is more a family game that there wouldn’t be any hard puzzles but on a couple they were clever as a couple were unique and took a while for me to figure out the objective. One of the achievements is not to use the hint/info button on puzzles. By doing that I was OK with the hardness of them, mostly easy to medium. They had your usual (which please I’ve had enough of) rotating rings and rotating circles (here it was squares – put your coloured icons on different parts of the board.) They did have some twists on some – gear puzzle and loved the – click on things in area to accomplish a task (cardboard cutout of girl) and the flag puzzle which took me ages to work out the objective.

LENGTH
I played the whole game hardcore, and playing for achievements (so no puzzle tips or hints or skips) and I just got over 4hrs on main game. I was smelling the roses, and taking my time. Shortest game from elephant at just over 4hrs but due to this being a SE and the rest is so fun and very good quality I am giving it 5 stars.

If interested below is what is in the CE that is NOT in this SE

CE extras (click and highlight to read)

**Achievements
Collectables 25 dolls
4 Music
5 video (some cutscenes)
9 concept art
Screensaver
Cat cave (opens after bonus) but it’s just a viewing cave not interactive

I really do recommend the CE but SE is complete.

TIME – Main game – Just over 4hrs

Loved every minute of it.

mommabear1945
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by mommabear1945 on Dec 22, 12 8:54 AM
This is just as beautiful and as much fun as the CE. I own both now and the only disappointment i have encountered in the SE is there are no dolls to search for
Both are wonderful to play at this time of the year but seeing as i have an older computer i wanted the SE too play until i get a new computer. The CE just takes up too much disk space to keep in my game manager, as this much memory useage tends to slow down my computer some what.
It's all good because the bonus chapter in the CE stands alone and is not needed(or missed in the SE)!
IF i could have bought only one game this year this would have been the ONE!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 22, 12 5:18 PM
this is a wonderful game, that even gets you in the mood for X-mas. a GREAT game.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 22, 12 7:53 PM
Really liked this game!

chrelm
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by chrelm on Dec 23, 12 4:53 PM
I don't post very often but just had to commend on this game. It is really a beautiful game and enjoyable on so many levels. I loved that I was treated to different pieces of music from the nutcracker during the game. I plan to purchase the CE which is also not something I do very often. The only criticism I would make is that the characterization of the cat and the candle when they first speak are not up to the quality of the rest of the game. Also their movements are not as enjoyable as those of the nutcracker.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

100 stars for the nut.....

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Dec 24, 12 3:16 PM
Game of the year 2012 ! This is excellent.

[Post New]by lenoxbowler1 on Jan 22, 13 7:53 AM
Great game. Music and scenes are beautiful. What a change from the other games.

Edited on 01/22/2013 at 7:54:47 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 26, 13 10:02 PM
I'm a grinch, I guess. A talking nutcracker, talking cat, talking candle. Really? I hate to be the lone dissenter, but just no. I'm disappointed, because the graphics are indeed beautiful, and I'm normally a fan of Elephant games. Oh, well, that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla. I do think if you like little fairy tales, you will love this game. <Shrug.>

Editing to say part of the problem I had with the talking animations was the voicing.as someone mentioned above.

ADDED 10/09/13

Well, I tried. Came back tonight and bought this with a credit, simply because there was nothing but collector's editions to try, and I don't buy CEs, so no point in trying those games until the SEs come out. Anyway, I thought maybe I hadn't given Nutcracker a fair chance, since everyone else gave it such glowing, over-the-top reviews. I got as far as entering the hunting lodge (which isn't shown on the map and took me forever to find) before I gave up. This is possibly the most boring game ever for me. But then I can't sit through a whole performance of the Nutcracker Ballet without dying of boredom. I love Christmas, but...

Edited on 10/09/2013 at 12:37:37 AM PST

VanRonk
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by VanRonk on Aug 9, 13 6:06 PM
Thanks to all the great reviewers which prompted me to buy this game.

Excellent story which others have summed up perfectly.

Thanks again

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Dec 24, 13 4:47 PM
I guess I'm a Grench also. From the start I expected to hear the music but even after adjusting all different positions for the sound levers and still very little music I started getting sour about the game so just thought to try the ole un/reinstall that frequently fixes little glitches.....nope, sound was better BUT the pointer went floaty so I gave up and kept playing...

The colors and story are fine and the characters were alright with me but there was an awful lot of to & froing. The jump-map helped but it was in pieces [so to say] and I had to remember which arrow I clicked last

I apologize for the Grenching , as least sort of because I don't think everyone is going to like everything but the game is definitely worth the purchase price. :0
Giving it a 1/2 out of 5 because of the sound-pointer- and the "jump map" that is sort of in pieces.

Edited on 12/24/2013 at 4:47:40 PM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 26, 13 7:38 AM
Have A Cracking Good Christmas

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I loved this game from the opening few seconds! I do not participate in Christmas, but I love all those wonderful decorations, great food, and lovely music. So this game is a real treat for me. And the developers have outdone themselves with possibly their best ever production. It does, however, load slowly. Worth the wait.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Absolutely love the graphics in this game, uninterrupted beauty and light and colour. Everything is clear and detailed, items are perfectly easy to see, just well hidden. The animation was good too, but it was a bit of a surprise how little animation there was in the HOPs. There are also a lot of cut scenes, and these are expertly done.

THE single best thing, and the best of any game I have played EVER is the music. Largely culled from Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite, it is the perfect mood setter for Christmas. The ambiance is good, though I could have done with more of it. The voiceovers are very nicely done, and used just the right amount of the time.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
You have been invited to the palace for the Christmas Ball, but you arrive late. The other guests have gone, but you still can go get your presents. Turns out your gift is actually a Nutcracker, under a curse placed on him by the evil Rat King, and he needs your help. He must rescue his true love Mary who is being held prisoner by the Rat King, who wants her for himself.

MAKING PROGRESS
The balance of HOPs vs. other puzzles and mini-games is well kept and there is much to do in every location, and you’ll be returning to them again and again. The interactive jump map is essential for this to and froing dominates the game. Hint gives you a clear instruction for the next action required. HOPs are interactive lists. The puzzles and mini-games seemed to include a lot of new material, but the instructions are sometimes a bit confusing with these. All the games are beautifully crafted and fit the Christmas theme. I found quite a few very challenging.

You have a few companions in this game. First there is the Nutcracker himself. He takes on rats when he is not vastly outnumbered. An animated candle (cute and funny) is there waiting to light your fires, and there is the cat. He’s good for getting those hard to reach items. We pick up other companions along the way, but they never stay long.

FINAL VERDICT
Love this game!

Go to: