bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 25, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 25, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 25, 12 12:39 AM
If you would like to check out the reviews for the CE version of this game, just click here!

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Dec 25, 12 12:45 AM
What an absolute let down. I got the CE of this game and can't be bothered to finish it. Come on BF, this is one day where a bit of effort would be appreciated. I thought we'd at least get a new game for Christmas day. Instead we get a cut down version of a mediocre one. Oh well, merry Christmas all.

Edited on 12/25/2012 at 12:46:03 AM PST

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Dec 25, 12 7:22 AM
I am in full agreement. I waited for the SE addition and i am disappointed. the other games in the series were much better. Looks like a no buy. Merry Xmas.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 25, 12 8:47 AM
In the last and this MCF in the bonus there is utterly no story just doing things (here a 10-15min bonus in the CE) so you aren't missing out at all on any story bonus or otherwise. I really recommend you stick with the SE.

I was very disappointed with this game (I finished the CE). Here are the reasons -

Every year I looked forward to the MCF as BFG always pushed themselves, were the leaders in innovative HOPAs and that is one thing I really miss from this game.

Dire grove had 'real actors', 13th skull really integrated the actors further into the games, although LF games have been doing FMV games for decades and the reason why I didn't like 13th skull so much was how it was done. But it was different as so was EFR - morphs as a HOS! Taking risks,being the leader that was big fish. What is new in this game? Nothing. Transporter map that you have to use and not like other HOPAs which you can walk to scenes (LF games do that). HOS going on for multiple scenes - really old HOGs did that. The only thing that was a bit different was the graphics on the arcade/physics tumbling block but there was a variation of that in surface:the noise she couldn't make. It was like "hey we have a new graphics puzzle here, and just in case you don't notice it, we'll repeat this 7 times!"

I can put up with repeating puzzles or HOS if it's about 2 or 3 times but here It was so forumlaic/repetitive as in at the end of each chapter you are called by the psychic to get 'drawings' (small clip of a scene you have visited and you have to find it - reverse HOS) then after you backtrack all over areas you've just been to, to place them you get a tumbling arcade type jigsaw.

I also didn't get the plot. Where was the mystery, the suspense? There was none, all a very old story retelling through a medium.

There were 13 HOS ( different ones but as they were over more than one scene it felt a lot more!)
Oh how I miss the morph different kind of HOS, here it just dragged on as a lot were over multiple areas. This isn't new as old HOGs used to do this. All but one were list type, and all but one were not junk pile. Items were tiny and very well blended in so you better have perfect eyesight. There sadly is a random click penalty (on hard, don't know about casual) but they didn't repeat.

TBC

Edited on 12/25/2012 at 8:59:04 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 25, 12 8:49 AM
continued

12 Puzzles

If you love puzzle in your HOPA you will be disappointed as 7 of them are the repeating type and none were challenging. There were a couple of arcade type which I don't like so even skipped them. The tumbling block one does get progressively harder but in one, you can't move the center ones and if you connect some in the wrong place it's impossible to move around to join.
Thankfully you can skip the puzzles.

Graphics were a weird mix, of sharp and well done scenes to looking like they were compressed and so dull, so many monochromatic scenes - a lot has a green hue on them.

WARNING for some (slight spoiler)
While I'm sure that people who don't like dark, summoning spirits know this about MCF games it's really ramped up here sadly.
-There is an exorcism on an object
-Throughout there is a psychic communicating with the dead and others
-There is a demonic worship act, mumbling in latin to summon demons (your character is trying to stop it) I really wish that wasn't in the game.

Live actors, I usually love and sometimes it did hold the game together, but sorry Lea Thompson came across as melodramatic, and frankly bad especially at the end. And it's not direction or expecting too much as I thought the unknowns were far better actors.

OK so what's good about it?

Non repeating of HOS
A bit different some of the interactions or nice playing scenes
For a HOPA I thought it was a good challenge (not as hard as the others though)
It's not that long but it's a good enough length
Some cutscenes and some graphics

I'm recommending the SE as long as you don't think this is a MCF and just view it as a HOPA then it's OK. I hated the repeating aspect of it, plus having to go back over areas anyway due to gameplay and my personal rating is a 2 stars. But I really try and be objective so am giving it a 3-4stars and if you don't mind the above then it's worth while playing.

edit - I repeated a paragraph, obviously just getting into the pattern of the repeating aspect of the game.

Edited on 12/25/2012 at 10:23:36 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 25, 12 11:29 AM
Thought I would give it a try but it's just as bad as the first time I tried it. One of the worst games I have played. Not a very good Christmas game, glad I have plenty others to choose from.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Dec 25, 12 2:01 PM
Not a good game, I'll not buy it!
But thank you BFG for your nice offer to buy one free, now I' m having a lot of good games (for my taste of course), and I say Merry Christmas to all the BF's team and to all the fishies in the pond.
Have all of you a safe and peaceful Holiday Season, and with plenty of games !
M

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Calicohorse on Dec 25, 12 2:49 PM
I'm on the other side, I really like this game, it's very unique, I like looking for the bits of images and love the HOS being spread over several scenes. I like the game mechanics and enjoy getting some important information from listening. The artwork is great, the sound track is good and the plot makes sense to me so far (as much sense as any of them do It feels very adventury/detectivy rather than puzzley, which I'm also enjoying.

After playing for another hour....I cannot figure out what people do not like about this game, usually I agree with the majority, but not now. It's a great game, totally enjoying it. Entirely different from the norm.

Edited on 12/26/2012 at 12:47:06 AM PST

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Dec 25, 12 3:08 PM
gingergal wrote:In the last and this MCF in the bonus there is utterly no story just doing things (here a 10-15min bonus in the CE) so you aren't missing out at all on any story bonus or otherwise. I really recommend you stick with the SE.

I was very disappointed with this game (I finished the CE). Here are the reasons -

Every year I looked forward to the MCF as BFG always pushed themselves, were the leaders in innovative HOPAs and that is one thing I really miss from this game.

Dire grove had 'real actors', 13th skull really integrated the actors further into the games, although LF games have been doing FMV games for decades and the reason why I didn't like 13th skull so much was how it was done. But it was different as so was EFR - morphs as a HOS! Taking risks,being the leader that was big fish. What is new in this game? Nothing. Transporter map that you have to use and not like other HOPAs which you can walk to scenes (LF games do that). HOS going on for multiple scenes - really old HOGs did that. The only thing that was a bit different was the graphics on the arcade/physics tumbling block but there was a variation of that in surface:the noise she couldn't make. It was like "hey we have a new graphics puzzle here, and just in case you don't notice it, we'll repeat this 7 times!"

I can put up with repeating puzzles or HOS if it's about 2 or 3 times but here It was so forumlaic/repetitive as in at the end of each chapter you are called by the psychic to get 'drawings' (small clip of a scene you have visited and you have to find it - reverse HOS) then after you backtrack all over areas you've just been to, to place them you get a tumbling arcade type jigsaw.

I also didn't get the plot. Where was the mystery, the suspense? There was none, all a very old story retelling through a medium.

There were 13 HOS ( different ones but as they were over more than one scene it felt a lot more!)
Oh how I miss the morph different kind of HOS, here it just dragged on as a lot were over multiple areas. This isn't new as old HOGs used to do this. All but one were list type, and all but one were not junk pile. Items were tiny and very well blended in so you better have perfect eyesight. There sadly is a random click penalty (on hard, don't know about casual) but they didn't repeat.

TBC

SabreQueen
Clownfish
Clownfish
658 Posts

[Post New]by SabreQueen on Dec 25, 12 3:29 PM
No. Just. No. Sad

[Post New]by smellnroses2 on Dec 26, 12 4:32 AM
i agree this mcf game was a waste of a credit. normally i can play a new mcf game for a few days b4 i finish it. NOT THIS GAME had it done in a few hours.like others i was so looking forward to this game coming out but have been sorely disappointed. seemed as if there was more time with Lea the medium than actual game play. if bf had a 24 hour return policy they would get this game back and gladly. this is the shortest mcf game EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! review of 1 - 10 i give it a minus 7.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 26, 12 7:24 AM
we enjoyed the new MCF, but alot of people did not. we give 3 out of five.-----------------------doug & lisa

[Post New]by shakerlady on Dec 26, 12 7:39 PM
Hated this game !

gigibabin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by gigibabin on Dec 27, 12 6:25 PM
Wow! Is all I can say! What a let down this game was! This is quite possibly the most BORING game of all time and coming from MCF. I was actually falling asleep during game play. I am probably just half way through and probably wont even finish this complete waste of my time. I played the collectors edition and hated it but thought I would buy the standard hoping it would get better but sadly no does not. What happened Big Fish? Enquiring minds want to know?? Who's idea was this? Completely dreadful! We need a makeup version stat!

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Dec 27, 12 8:06 PM
Every year I leave my home to go visit older relatives for Thanksgiving and Christmas I haven't had either holiday at my own house in years. Also, every year I looked forward to an MCF game to play in the down time. Every year, I was delighted, bemused, scared and challenged. UNTIL THIS YEAR. This game is such a letdown. This has none of the feel of an MCF game, none of the wonder, none of the fun of unwrapping an intricate present to get at the secret center. BAH HUMBUG. I am too old to look forward to presents anymore, but the MCF game was something I awaited every year. This game is such a disappointment. I feel like I was promised diamond earrings and instead got cheap drugstore perfume. I honestly feel that BF should apologize for this game and offer everyone who didn't like it, at the very least, a credit for another game, or half off next year.

[Post New]by mskayjay on Dec 27, 12 10:37 PM
Awful. Usually try the demo first and this time I didn't because the MCF games are usually good. What a waste of a game credit. I'm hating these stupid scare faces that pop up and this going back and forth with that ridiculous psychic is just a joke! Your game players deserved better. Not even going to finish this one and if I could "return it" to get my credit back I would.

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Dec 29, 12 12:13 AM
You're kidding me, right???

I have not posted for ages but had to sign in just to leave this comment:::

This game is BF's #1 "customer favorite"? for 2012? It's got TWO STARS and there is nothing but lousy reviews saying what a terrible game this is!!!!

Man, BF....I wondered all this time why you kept pushing this game so so hard when no one liked it and now you just nominate it for 1st place? Where is "Christmas Stories Nutcracker" ?

I get that you nominate it on 7 day sales but should you? Everyone ran to get this game due to the great, past games for MCF and then ran in drvoes becuz it was horrible.

I wont even list all the incredible games i bought here this year that blew me away and were masterpeices and I dont even SEE some of them.

Really disappointed........

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Dec 29, 12 1:10 AM
Aircoco, I agree with you. How many people bought this one just because of the MCF name and then regretted it? Plus, there was the huge sale; when you bought this one as a CE you could get as many other CEs as you wanted for half price. So, the numbers are definitely skewed on this one. I could list 20 games right off the top of my head that were way better than this one. The worst part of this is, the developers will see this, think they made a great game, and continue to give us more of the same. UGH!

Go to: