Any comments fishes?

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

Re:Todays DD December 28 2012

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Dec 28, 12 4:57 AM
Yet another great DD offering!

Options include music and sound volume control, full screen and custom cursor.

There is no choice on mode of play - sparkles indicate Hog scenes, cursor changes to a hand when you can pick something up, and a magnifying glass to take a closer look.

There are no voiceovers, with the exception of a few spooky, threatening voices interspersed with the music.

There is no map. There was a lot of trekking back and forth. When I played the second time around, I didn't get as lost. Also, the hint button shows arrows to point you in the right directions.

There is no journal.

Hints refill in 1 minute, and work outside of Hog scenes.

Hogs: There are 33 "find items on the list" Hog scenes. There was nice spacing between Hog scenes in the first 4 chapters. There were puzzles and plenty of tasks to accomplish. However, the last chapter contained 12 Hogs of the 33 total, and became a little tedious, in my opinion.
Also, you revisited some scenes more than once, and some of the objects on the list were the same.

Puzzles: There are 18 puzzles. They can be skipped in approximately 30 seconds.

Story and dialogue is interesting, but can be skipped.

It took me approximately 5 hours to finish.

Overall, this is a great deal at $2.99. Lots of fun tasks and puzzles, and kept me entertained even when playing it for a second time.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 28, 12 5:13 AM

Beautiful, beautiful game. Lots of back and forth,
but a really good hint system will give you
arrows showing the way. Would love a sequel.

Did encounter what I can't help feel is a glitch. After I completed
the mini game on the upper stairs, it still kept showing me that
as an active area. Several times, when I clicked for a hint, it
took me back there with nothing more to do. It continued to show
as active, so I had to go to walkthrough a few times since I couldn't
get hint. Was able to finish the game with that still showing active,
so not a biggie, just annoying.

Really enjoyed this one. Nice to not have all scenes dark.
A bargain at DD price.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 28, 12 8:57 AM
my original review (which was a while ago since I played it) I think back then I might have been OK with more HOS than today but it's still a good game.

This ended up being a really good game. I groaned when I saw no options for difficulty and had sparkles. But I liked the atmosphere not eerie but slightly haunting. It’s the puzzles that make this game stand out. There aren’t loads but the ones they do have some are really unique.
And I felt the ratio of hidden object scenes were OK, not too many but enough to keep those that like them satisfied. I also like games with the majority of scenes being in a house. It ended up being a good length as I thought finishing the demo it would be short. Plot was a bit obvious but good and didn’t interrupt gameplay that often like so many games do.

Pros

-Truly unique puzzles
-Some quite hard puzzles
-Helpful hint button which told you if there was anything you could do in an area and showed you the arrow buttons if there wasn’t WITHOUT using up the hint button and having to wait
-No penalty for random clicking in hidden object scenes, so rare but makes such a wonderful difference!

Cons

-Hidden object scenes weren’t to my taste, either in the junk pile realm and or some quite hard to find
-No option of hardness so had to have sparkles
-Fair amount of backtracking but probably average for a HOPA (still would have liked the shortcut appear earlier in a game) or have a transporter map to at least outside major areas.

I think for a DD it's a good buy, it's not a must buy but a 'nice to have'.

Edited on 01/22/2013 at 11:19:07 AM PST

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Dec 30, 12 8:45 AM
Picked this up as a DD despite not liking sparkles (at all!) and it having more Hidden Obj scenes than I normally care for based on the reviews in this thread and I was not disappointed!

I agree with all the reviewers here on both the positives and negatives. This game had some wonderfully creepy graphics, sound effects, and a story that made it on the whole an especially fun experience.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 2, 13 9:08 PM
Nice game, especially at the DD price. Would have been helped by a journal though.

Go to: