bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for The Missing: Island of Lost Ships

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Dec 29, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Missing: Island of Lost Ships? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Missing: Island of Lost Ships page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Missing: Island of Lost Ships

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Dec 29, 12 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 29, 12 1:59 AM
If ever a game was just "ordinary", it's this one.

The story is only vaguely interesting, and many like it have come before. Not to say it's bad, it's just nothing spectacular or different.

The HOS are fuzzy-looking. Playable, but barely. The objects that you must find interactively are listed in a blue font, which is barely readable. And many of the objects, because of the fuzziness, are indistinguishable at times.

This is the second in "The Missing" series, and I see that it is NOT a CE like the first one was, albeit undeservedly. So maybe someone suggested they not aim quite so high, and here's what we get. Only a couple of days are left in the month (and the year!! Happy New Year!! ) so if I have nothing else to fill out my card, I'll use a pcc on this half-hearted effort.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 29, 12 2:53 AM
I totally disagree with the first review. I think this is an awesome game. I would give it a 10/10. I love the sense of humor in this game and the voiceovers are done very well. Herbert is a trip, and a funny sidekick.

Story: It captivated me to see what's going to happen next as we have to save Robert's neck along with our own.

Graphics: Gorgeous. I like to stop every now and then and just look. Me being from a family of boaters, I could smell the salt air again.

Mini Games: Not to hard or easy, but nicely challenging.

Hint System: Don't know, haven't used it yet.

Music: Very nicely done and fits perfectly with the game.

All in all this team did a superb job on this game. And I did love how the cat came racing out that door chasing a mouse Happy new year all! And since I do not drink, one round of coffee coming up!

Edited on 12/29/2012 at 2:54:53 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 29, 12 3:13 AM
I agree with Sassy - this game is fun, lot's to do, plenty of humor, good graphics and I am having a grand time. Definitely give this one a try and gauge for yourself.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 29, 12 3:24 AM
Totally agree with sassylassie and shadowfax.

It's fun and Ilike the puzzles. This game gives me a smile.

Thanks devs! Good job.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 29, 12 3:32 AM

Edited on 12/30/2012 at 2:40:07 AM PST

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Dec 29, 12 3:43 AM
I beta tested this ages ago and have been (im)patiently waiting for it. I loved it. A definite buy for me.

Happy New Year's all.

Marty

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 29, 12 3:45 AM
Afternoon, all...

This game is by the makers of "The Torment of Whitewall".

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Normal, Expert.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

Your Notes, which includes your Tasks, is at the left.

Also at the left is your Map, which shows you where you are, areas of interest, and which can be used to jump.

At the right the Tasks are once more shown.

Below the Tasks at the right is your Hint button in form of a compass.

When used outside of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), the Hint button fills instantly. When used in the iHOS, it takes about 25 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 45 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

You can lock the Inventory to stay on top, or unlock it so that it moves down, and only a bag is visible.

--- --- ---

Love the graphics, love the gameplay, love the characters so far. It's a buy for me.

Cinnamone
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Cinnamone on Dec 29, 12 5:52 AM
I am also with Sassylassie and all the others on this one. A little bit different from other games.
I wrote a comment on the game page and said that I was going to buy the Collector's edition of that game but I just realized that it doesn't exist in CE! And there are no morphing ghosts either (at least I haven't seen any during the trial)...

So of course I will buy this one and enjoy every moment of it.

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Dec 29, 12 6:21 AM

Edited on 12/30/2012 at 2:45:18 AM PST

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Dec 29, 12 6:22 AM
This is the first buy for me for a while now. Good graphics, a map which shows you where you can do things and lets you click to jump there - always a plus! The games are not too easy and not too hard - skip loads within very reasonable time.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 29, 12 6:46 AM
This will be a buy for me next month. I have now decided the most important feature in a HOPA for me is a map that tells me where something needs to be done, and hopefully takes me there. I am not going to spend 2013 wandering around aimlessly hoping I run into a HOG scene somewhere . This map does both, the game has pretty colors and nice enough background music/sounds. I have the previous game but I don't think I've played it yet, and this seems to be a continuation, so I will be digging that one out to play first. Very nice offering for a straight SE.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Dec 29, 12 7:05 AM
Good morning all Apparently there is something worse than the Bermuda Triangle and the big black hole that are eating up ships out for a little leisurely cruise. After tracking down Gilligan, the skipper, professor, Marianne, Ginger and the Howell's apparently the same thing threw them off course that day on there three hour tour however when asked what it was no one could offer a reasonable explanation and after listening to the professor for countless hours babbling about a huge sea monster and in graphic detail I might add I finally got tired and wandered around the little mysterious island myself. Never actually seeing a sea creature I did hear some strange sounds coming from the sea but upon investigation turned up nothing. Later in the evening after dining with the Howell's I accepted an invitation from Gilligan to go for a little moonlight stroll along the beautiful beach and to my surprise I did find out something very interesting so for anyone who is interested Gilligan and the crew have always been able to get off the island they just never wanted too, when I asked Gilligan he said they were still holding out for their own reality show, go figure. After saying goodnight to Gilligan I decided to go back for another stroll and did in fact find a possible reason behind all the ship's disappearing and it wasn't pretty in fact it was the infamous Kraken and that is all I'm able to report at this time as I still have some more investigating to do so this is where I'll let you be the judge of what is really lying below the depths of our beautiful ocean you'll find all the useful tools you need for your investigation within this wonderful game it will explain a lot about what or who is lurking in the ocean plus Ginger is wanting to give me some beauty tips apparently she has discovered the secret for ageless beauty so I'm off. Good luck and ladies the ferryman is mine okay.

Wow what a surprise this is a cool game. The graphics are nice the game play is straight forward the hint system works really well in and out of scenes and the scenes are interactive and the sound effects are really cool as well. The story is interesting your searching for a friend who may have stumbled on a bit of trouble.

The puzzles so far have been easy and I like easy that way I don't have to skip any. This is a cool little game and a buy for me. Give the demo a try it's worth that. Thank you dev's for a cool game and thank you Big Fish. Have fun everybody.

Edited on 12/29/2012 at 7:57:58 AM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Dec 29, 12 7:59 AM
I agree with cbtx. This game is nothing special... same old, same old. The plot is the only difference.

The HOS are grainy and the colored words hard to read.

Maybe a good SE for those who aren't sick of the same play. Door is locked, you have to find a key, the key is in a trunk but you have to find what opens it, the cat needs food, you have to find food...etc. By the time I find the key to open the door I've forgotten where the door is because it was so long ago that I needed it.

I am not buying anymore CE's unless they are unique.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 29, 12 8:41 AM
I bought this game with a credit, and boy am I glad I did. This game is quite a long game. I only had a few gripes, 1-obj are hard to find, but no to diff, I've incountered harder ones.
2- sil HO's are hard cause don't know what your looking for ex-I thought duster when it was dynomite. lots of squares, so didn't know what they were so clicked all square shaped items.
3-items are hard to pick up, have to find the soft spot.

BUT OVER ALL WORTH THE MONEY IF YOU BUY

Edited on 12/29/2012 at 8:58:20 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Dec 29, 12 8:56 AM
The Missing Island of Lost Ships

I admit, I only played this in the wee small hours for 15 minutes.

This is not a sequel to the first "The Missing" game, one I actually enjoyed for the game play and the sci-fiesque story that developed over time.

This one seems to have matured, with richer graphics, voice overs, more animated characters, and a story that defies reality from the get go, but draws you in in the first five minutes.

Three mode HOPA, the hardest of which has no hints or puzzle skips, but still offers too much black bar info
Wide screen
interactive HOs
A map that shows locations and transports you to them. The map does show "!" active locations even in hard mode.
Diary
A curious cast of characters -- the bad guys "sea Dogs", and Herbert the Ferryman, who appears to be on your side.
Puzzle info is hidden unless you click the "?"

The story: Your friend Robert is in possession of half of an artifact. His research seems to have led him to the other half. He writes you that he is off to find it, but the trip is perilous and asks you to rescue him if he does not contact you again in a couple days. Opening scene shows Robert's boat being sucked out of the Atlantic Ocean by a mysterious bright light. No word to you from him, so you are off in your plane to rescue him. No surprise here -- you encounter the same white light, and find yourself and your crashed plane in a strange place with a lot of shipwrecks. On the deck of one of them, you see 2 guys in chase of a third, and a "Wanted" poster for Robert. Enter Herbert…

In 15 minutes time, there was a HO, several inventory item tasks, and a puzzle (none too difficult if you are observant, very easy if you read the directions.) Still and all, this is an SE with a lot of content.

Gosh -- I wish I wasn't so tired of HOPAs, it skews my objectivity. This is a well made game. Please demo.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 29, 12 9:29 AM
I agree with cbtx. The game is grainy. However, for our normal SE games, it is not bad. Very similar to the previous one from the "Zulus" Not a big fan of games which deal with the open seas, but it will fill the day. I have played all the spectacular games we received before Christmas and since this isn't horrible, I will play it. I have a ton of coupons on which I can purchase the game and will do so. Bascially, it is an okay game. Kinda like your movies - those which receive 5 stars and those who receive 4 or 3 stars. I would give this 3 and 1/2 stars.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Dec 29, 12 10:50 AM
Yuck !
Agree with cbtx, barbee44 & sunnyglow... this game is nothing special, bog-standard at best.

To me in fact it's a big disappointment & nowhere near the quality, excitement or challenge of the 1st (The Missing: a Search & Rescue Mystery).

This game is full of filler rubbish hos that besides being junkpiles on steroids are not even good-looking. Moreover, sense of excitement lacks & the story is not much really.

I appreciate the devs' effort for humour but their going down this easy-peasy puzzles & hog-infested route is not anything I can find fun in.

Each to his/her own though.

Edited on 12/29/2012 at 10:58:23 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 29, 12 12:57 PM
I'm really enjoying this game - pretty graphics, interesting characters and I really, really like the VOs! H0 scenes are not easy and the puzzles have the promise of being challenging - time will tell. Intruiguing story line too!

I'm not finding it grainy (erm...for the most part; the first game was a little blurred) and can easily tell the blue "extra task" items from the rest - but different screens and folks with different levels of eyesight (or glasses like me!) may surely feel differently!

The cursor is pretty hinky *sigh* - I even closed out and cleaned up my lap top to make sure it wasn't my system - it isn't. I've seen worse, but it's always a dissapointment Mind it's not a deal breaker - I even opt to see Special Effects in Elephant games knowing they'll make the cursor hinkier!

This goes on my "to buy" list - have to manage that very carefully at the end of the month with a partially filled PC

With mixed reviews this is certainly a "give this one a try" game!

Happy Gaming!

Go to: