bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 30, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

Edited on 12/30/2012 at 12:35:33 AM PST

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 30, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Dec 30, 12 1:01 AM
Only played a bit of the demo, but already know I love it. This game fits in with the previous installment of Nightmare Realm. I'll probably wait for the SE as money is tight, but definitely love this. I enjoy finding the origami items, as well. (Hope they will keep that for the SE)

This is probably ok as a stand alone game, but if you played the first part then this one will make more sense.

I give this one a big

CelticCoco

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Dec 30, 12 1:11 AM
I only played a bit of the demo which downloaded at lightening speed btw. loved it so I have bought it,

Again the game downloaded at very fast speed until 71% and now it's stuck on that despite numerous attempts to try and speed it up nothing is working,

In the past hour nothing has moved at all and it is so frustrating,

My computer is brand new and my modem and download on everything else works fine so I really don't think it's anything at my end.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Dec 30, 12 1:12 AM
Played 40 mins. A few too many cut scenes for me, seem spend half the time waiting for them to end. I don't take much notice of the story, just want the puzzles and mini games so pressed skip quite a bit. The puzzle I came across with the rotating discs was odd. They don't fit unless you keep turning after you think they should fit, just seemed pointless and dragged out. I also am not a fan of 'morphing' or other objects you have to collect or click. Just a distraction, an option to turn them off would be nice. Everything else about the game was nicely done, it just came across as trying too hard. I'll probably get the SE, I'll wait and see what everybody else thinks.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Dec 30, 12 1:13 AM
The trial only gives away the first 16 pages of the strategy guide, so I don't know where this game is going. The beginning of the game reminds me of the Drawn series in regard to the graphics, which are beautifully rendered. There is a fantastic journal to be read waiting for us on a side table that is a work of art. And the house looks like a lovely country home surrounded by trees and a white picket fence.
The game fills my screen in true wide screen, no black bars, and the strategy guide is easy to access and stays where you left it.
But I think this game is going to get very dark very fast, and I will have to wait for more reviews to see if it's going to be my cup of tea. Maybe it's the guy in the dungeon who's waiting to be executed? And the hints that our pretty young miss suffers from some very dark dreams?
Lately I find myself looking for "upbeat" games. If this game drags us into dark, frightening places, I'll pass.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 30, 12 1:48 AM
Got to see where the story is going. Top notch game from the devs. In my book a 10/10. Side note, I loved how they could make Emily change facial expressions in that one photo on the bulletin board

Story: To me it seemed so far a continuation of the first game. Some evil thing comes in and tells Emily you have one hour to save your daughter. Poor kid. Happy she was going to college and now the Extractors are back. They are true pains.

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous. I stop just to look at it.

Music: Fits perfectly with the game.

Hint System: Don't as a rule use in the H0Gs, but since I didn't get to one yet, nor used the hint don't know.

Kudos on the devs on a job extremely well done. Bought this game after 5 minutes lol.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 30, 12 2:42 AM
This is a continuation of the first game in the series, and I would recommend that the first game be experienced before playing this game. (Or, if you haven't played the first one, pick it up also, and play them consecutively. )

The theme in this game is very dark and can be disturbing in parts. Definitely not for younger folks, or those looking for sunshine, happy-happy games. It is an adult story told for adults, and if that's not your cup of tea----look elsewhere. But a crackling good story it is, like the first one.

Like so many devs, this group has improved almost everything about their game from the first one. Graphics are sharper, game mechanics are improved, and the game this time is in widescreen. Such improvements demonstrate the desire on the part of the development team to offer a product that is as good as it can possibly be, unlike some other developERS.

And if the bonus game is anything like the bonus game in the first one, that will add greatly to the value. (It's called "In the Beginning"----looks interesting!)

So the game doesn't "ROCK", there are no cartoony characters, they haven't "DONE IT AGAIN", and there are no loopy, bug-eyed, child-like villains----but instead the devs have given us an outstanding story to ponder, savor, and thoroughly enjoy. I recommended this game. (this one could compete with "Nutcracker"---from Elephant Games, btw, NOT ERS ----for game of the year.It's that good----different, but good!!) Give it a try!!

quizzly
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by quizzly on Dec 30, 12 3:31 AM
After playing for about ten minutes I was hooked. The first few scenes are deceptively close to other hidden object games but then you enter a whole new world and I mean that literally and some really magical scenery unfolds. A must buy for me.

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Dec 30, 12 3:48 AM
An absolutely beautiful game. A definite buy for me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 30, 12 3:56 AM
I'm in total agreement with cbtx on this game; the graphics are excellent and the contrast between the beginning few scenes (which are dark and nightmarish) and the scenes through the first picture (which are staggeringly beautiful) are just stunning. What I thought was a gloomy game became utterly enchanting!

The continuity from the first Nightmare Realm is very well done; it does explain much if you've played it (I have) but whether or not it's absolutely necessary I can't really say. The puzzles so far have been good with clear instructions, the HOS are interactive and not overly cluttered, the music is quite lovely and the aspect ratio option gave me a game that fills my w/s monitor. Download was very quick; looks like that issue has been resolved! And there are origami to collect, some of which are not easy to spot!

Far superior to the so-called game of the year (how Shadow Lake got that accolade is beyond me), this goes on the must-buy list. I was so disappointed when the demo ended, which is always a good sign. Off to buy this excellent game

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 30, 12 4:04 AM
I agree with all the good things stated about this game!

It is different and in this case that is a good thing IMO.

There is one particular scene that I have played so far that is just stunning!
I was a little uncertain at the start of the game, but after the first couple of scenes I was very glad that I had purchased it.

Technically it has been flawless.

There 9 chapters + the Bonus play and a total of 79 pgs. in the SG.
I am assuming it stays open where you are, only because when I opened it to count pages, it opened to the page I was currently playing!

The extras are available immediately upon purchase! Thanks to the PTB! It is much appreciated by this player!

As always one must try it and decide for themselves.
But if you do try it, I urge you to play more than 10-15 minutes of the game to give it a chance.

BK

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 30, 12 4:05 AM
Afternoon, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers, so... beware.

This game has 9 chapters and the Bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is some voice-over.

There is widescreen.

Your Map, which contains "Event Cards" (they tell you about what you experience, like a journal), is at the left. It shows you where you are, and where action can be taken, but it can't be used to jump. Instructions on how to play the game are also part of the map, as are "Characters Cards". You have to find all 36 Origamis to unlock those secret story/character cards.

Your Hint button is at the right. It takes about 25-30 seconds to refill in Casual mode, inside and out of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes).

The SG (strategy guide) is also at the right. It follows your progress, I am happy to say, and you can find all the locations of the origamis inside.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes about 2 minutes to fill in Casual mode.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to disappear until needed.

--- --- ---

This is the sequel to "Nightmare Realm" and continues 15 years after the first story.

The game reminds me more of the "Drawn" games than a HOG.

There are quite a few puzzles, but so far I have only come across 1 HOS.

The graphics are nice, and although I am not a puzzle person and hate the fact that it takes 2 minutes for the skip button to fill, and even though it isn't quite what I had expected (I loved the first game)... *pause and breathe* ...I just entered the first (of many, I hope) pictures, and loved what I saw. Off to buy.

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 10:21:49 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Dec 30, 12 6:10 AM
all good things above are the same for me but......
i have choosen aspect ratio to fill my widescreen(in full screen i have two black bares of 1 cm on each side on my 23" screen);but when doing this,the skip button which is on top of the screen disapears
i tried to change the difficulty level during the game and it is not allowed as some developERS do!!!!you have to begin again and to change identity!not very important things,enough to make the game loosing one star for me!
graphics are beautiful,characters pleasant(for the fair ones)others are what they have to be:horrifying!
music is good enough to be forgot when we are concentrated,many of the puzzles remind me some done with MMe fate and are very interactive and not so easy
agood game for me ;i loved the first one and find this one higher and better

[Post New]by heatherington on Dec 30, 12 7:46 AM
This game is SO not worth 13.99. The SG is sluggish and there is difficulty in simply turning a page. We put up with a lot of things in most games that don't make sense at the time and you wonder why they do things the way they do. But this game far exceeds logic. Just too jumbled and, maybe, outside the box. Simply not worth the money for me. I played for half an hour, but really, can we get games that have a little more reality to them. This game is based on something that I just won't believe. If we know we buried our husbands in the cold hard ground, why then would they be chained up alive in some out of this world prison. Just too far fetched for me. NO BUY!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Dec 30, 12 10:15 AM
This game builds on the story of the first Nightmare Realm but IMHO is even better than the first.

The graphics are very clear and excellent. Here we have it all, a great story, interesting puzzles and challenging interactive hidden object scenes. What more could one ask for in a game? Not much, because here the developer has given us pretty much a complete package for hours of fun.

I would suggest that this game is not for children and parents should decide whether their child is mature enough to handle the storyline. For me, I love it!

The developers did a great job on bringing back Emily and her mother. Kudos on this wonderful game!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 30, 12 10:16 AM
Now here's a great sequel I'd forgotten I even wanted Seems like it's been a long time since the original came out (too lazy to actually go look ) but it looks like this follow up was worth the wait!

Stunning graphics, gripping plot and gameplay that has a unique feel to it - can't really define that but if you played the first game you understand if you haven't played the first game - play it.

This is a must buy for me; my only decision is whether or not to down load the first one and run through it again before playing this one! I'm finding I'm recalling a lot of the first game as I play even just the demo - so folks should be able to jump into the sequal without taking the "refresher course"

Runs perfectly so far! Though I haven't tried the hint, or looked at the SG...

My only was the inventory text of "Congratulations! You've picked up a strange letter. It is addressed to your daughter Emily!" got a bit of a grin out of that - there's really nothing congratulatory about it!

So...I guess we'll be "congratulated" on finding a lot of things we may not really want to find This is a small oddity in an otherwise great game!

Give this one a try and you'll likely have an answer to "What am I going to do today?"

Happy Gaming!

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Dec 30, 12 10:29 AM
Very nice sequel, though both puzzles and HOG scenes seem a lot easier and logical than before. Graphics are pretty, though maybe that's why it ran so incredibly slow on my laptop. I do want to see where the story goes and I love collecting the origami, though it's a bit difficult since I play outside and the screen in crazy dark. Will definitely buy...eventually.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 30, 12 12:17 PM
Wow, it's been over a year since the first game came out...long time for a sequel. I really liked the first game, but this one didn't keep me on my toes as much as the first, and not much in the way of HOGs (only saw one so far). I do agree that you really should play the first game before this one, to better understand what is happening.

Nice graphics and game play (although it did bog down in a few places, especially the SG). Did like the fact that all of the chapters were listed in the SG, even if you couldn't open them, but do not care for SGs that turn the page for you (silly, yes, but I'd rather do it myself...maybe I'm not ready to go to the next page yet). Games not difficult, but take a bit of thought. Finding the 36 items you need to find is a bit difficult, as they blend in quite well to the scenery and some scenes have more than one (arrrrrrgh). This game could definitely have benefited from voice overs. Music got annoying very quickly.

All that being said, I did like this one, not love it like the first, but liked it enough to buy it and see how they save Dad (if they do). Will wait to get this one "next year," since it won't give me enough for another credit this year.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may thoroughly love this one, or not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by midori2 on Dec 30, 12 12:36 PM
Loved this! The artwork reminds me of the "Drawn" series, which was by far my favorite series of games ever. I definite buy for me!

Go to: