bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 1, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

Edited on 01/02/2013 at 2:36:23 AM PST

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 1, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 1, 13 12:37 AM
If you would like to check out the reviews for the CE version of this game, just click here!

Enjoy!

bfgBiwa

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 1, 13 1:35 AM
As I remember, there are a lot of HOS, but it was around two years ago when I last played it. Sigh.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 1, 13 2:18 AM
You played the game two YEARS ago, Nomatt?

Morning all...

Hope everyone is feeling well and chirpy this morning.

This game has 4 chapters.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Customed (which allows you to choose between a fast or slow Hint and Skip fill).

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The HINT button, in form of a pocket watch, is at the left.

Your JOURNAL is at the right.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are not interactive, and you visit each one at least twice. They are frequent.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons fill within 25-30 seconds in Casual mode.
However, when you use the Hint button outside of the HOS, it refills within 2 or 3 seconds.

The directional arrows don't show names. So you walk around pretty much blind in that respect. Also, there is no Map, and I don't get the game in widescreen (yes, I am sure some of you do, but I don't with this game).

--- --- ---

All in all, nice graphics, but pretty basic and unexciting gameplay as far as the demo went.

I didn't buy the CE for the above reasons, and because it was lacking a lot of things that are the norm in games from other devs: achievements, morphing objects, map, widescreen, able to zoom into the SG's screenshots, interactive HOS, to name just some extras I am used to seeing in CEs.

This is a very nice game, but I preferred to wait for the SE. It just didn't throw me off my chair with excitement. Also, a little too much talk from non-moving characters.

Have a great 1. of January, everyone.

ETA: Just wanted to add that despite the quite basic gameplay, I rather enjoy this game. The HOS have clear and clean graphics, and it's a joy to look for objects in them. Also, I really like the game, despite the fact that there are no "extras".

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 4:06:44 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jan 1, 13 2:24 AM
Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure

Gameplay was really smooth.

Graphics very clear.

Puzzles - okay - nothing special.

HO scenes - very basic - find by word list - no interactivity.

Map - No.

Tasks - No.

Any hidden extras i.e. morphing - No.

Voiceovers - good.

Inventory - doesn't stay put.

My verdict - was not CE material and will buy SE with PCC.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 1, 13 2:30 AM

Edited on 01/02/2013 at 3:29:50 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jan 1, 13 4:11 AM
Who cares? It's a fun game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 1, 13 6:33 AM
I have now finished the game, and very much enjoyed all of it. For a lot of peeps this game will appear rather short, but for me it was just the perfect length. I wasn't bored by the end of the game, and it left me with wanting a little more. Well done, I thought.

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Jan 1, 13 1:26 PM
I enjoyed the game but waited for the SE to come out before purchasing. I think I've been spoiled by games with things like morphing objects, etc. So, I'm more apt to purchase a CE if it has gameplay extras like the morphing obj's. Once dev's came out with that type of extra, it enhanced the gameplay to the point of making it hard to wanna go back to the standard style of HO's, at least for me.

All in all, this is a nice game if you enjoy HOG's and puzzles. The graphics are clear, nice storyline. The voice talent is well acted, imo. I just found myself becoming a little bored with the gameplay.

[Post New]by benny_92 on Jan 1, 13 1:29 PM

Edited on 01/02/2013 at 3:32:50 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 1, 13 3:31 PM
Very good game, I missed out the C. E., I have played this S. E. demo and I really like it! I think it's even better than the Pied Piper, mistery tale, but that was a time ago, so I don' t recall all of it! Anyhow great graphics and art work in this one, in the hos sometimes the objects are too tiny to find thou, and the minigames are cleaver and not difficult, the story is captivating, and sound it's really good, so a nice surprise for this first day of new year, surely worthy to get it, wishing to B F G and devlps a happy new year!

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jan 1, 13 5:23 PM
Having read all the negative reviews and comments for the CE and SE versions I have to say that I do agree about the content (depressing - hanging kids? bad idea) and game play (been there, done that) and some repeating and unexciting HOs, I have to say I enjoyed the puzzles in the demo and was sorry enough when the hour ended.

Not sorry to see the end of hanging people though - they weren't puppets, they were people. Not buying in case I see another one.

And I was mightily disappointed to see that the writers (or translaters) didn't know the difference between its and it's. Where can I get a job as a proofreader for these devs?

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 2, 13 7:15 AM

Edited on 01/02/2013 at 10:26:54 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 3, 13 8:11 AM
Just finished the demo on this and it is a buy for me. A really creepy HOG so be prepared. HOS are crisp and clear but can be dark. Items seem easy to find but I found myself using the very rapidly recharging hint at times. Mini games are a mixture of old style and some new ideas which can be tedious to easy to confusing but the skip seems to charge quickly also.

Game moves along at a good pace and voice overs are really good. I usually shut these off, but this one has good ones. Music must be OK because I don't seem to be aware of it. A lot of cutscenes that can be skipped, but these are good and add to the story and to the atmosphere. Again, I usually skip these but I am enjoying the ones in this game. Looking forward to completing the game.

I cannot find a map, so I assume there is not one and it does need one to be sure. However, it seems that once you complete an area, there is not a lot of backtracking, it would just be nice to have a jump map to move around at times. I actually have accessed the journal which I seldom do in a game, and it seems to hold some clues at times. Fun game.

Additional comment: Just finished the game and loved every minute of it. I was not put off by the "hanging children"...it is just a game and all ends well. A 5 out of 5 in my book....not long, but not short, just right!

As for the misspellings...who takes the time to notice unless it interferes with the game playing...hows that for misspellings?

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 10:15:17 AM PST

audreydi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by audreydi on Jan 3, 13 11:46 AM

Edited on 01/04/2013 at 2:03:10 AM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jan 6, 13 4:26 PM
I played the CE demo and decided it wasn't worth it. I bought the SE and so sorry I did. I was annoyed by the HOG's as they seemed small and tedious to find (for someone who needs new glasses). I thought the story line was dorky and it was shorter than expected but by the time I got to the end I couldn't wait to be done with it as it's so boring. I wouldn't bother if it were on the clearance rack. I get tired of all the what I call dark games,.....witches, hexes, and warlocks, curses and demons and would like something bright and cheery once in awhile.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 13, 13 8:17 AM
i found the game lacking in atmosphere, way too many h.o. scenes and quite frankly.....boring

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 20, 13 10:58 AM
I don't mind dark themes, but it's tedious for me to have
to play every scene with lack of color; everything brownish
looking. I enjoy HOs as part of my gameplay, but when
so many items are just outlines on the walls, I think that's
just laziness by the developers. And a footprint on the
side of a book? Half-price sale this weekend, and
still not a buy for me.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 21, 13 12:55 PM
I purchased this SE during the sale, for 3.70 but would have felt cheated, if I had paid full price.
Having said that, the game itself, was very enjoyable to play, loved the many H0 scenes, and I thought the developers did an excellent job, at hiding the items.
I didn't feel that the items were to small, they were just very well placed, which gave a bit of a challenge, and I loved that .
I also enjoyed reading the found notes, and thought the cut scenes, were done well.
The game itself had a nice flow to it, I just really had fun playing it, but after buying it, I only had a little bit of game play left, and the game ended, so it felt VERY short.
But for 3.70, I guess I shouldn't complain, but the developers need to know, this is not acceptable, for those that did pay full price, for it .
I don't think this was CE worthy, with no extra's, and being short, I feel bad for those that did buy it...WOW I would have been to say the least, there really should be certain criteria, that a game has to meet, to be sold as a CE.

If your looking for a game with lots of H0 scenes, which is what I loved about it, and you don't mind games being on the short side, than I would say, give it a try.
Being on the short side, was the only thing, I didn't care for, about this game, the rest of it was a total joy to play.

Go to: