Re:MCF 2012... Picman's official clues and intrigue

[Post New]by crazycatfishlady on Nov 7, 12 6:47 PM
251_Ehmyay wrote:
crazycatfishlady wrote:Another thought: Plunder was mentioned 3x and there are 7 letters in plunder. 7 x 3 = 21. "For some it is a fortnight", which is the 21st. So...could the two clues be related? And could they be emphasizing "two weeks/fortnight" and the number 21 for a different reason?

I like the way you think!!!

Tanks! That's how fishies demonstrate gratitude here, yes? With "fish tanks"? *hears a collective groan*

I've been looking for notable events on either 2/21 or 11/21 that might be relevant. So far, not too much of interest: a nuclear test in Nevada on 2/21/1963 and the discovery of DNA molecular structure on 2/21/1953.

Is it possible to zoom in on the license plates in the FB concept art?

Also: Could the 2nd clue, "protect your digits" , assuming that's the correct answer, be related to the today's other clues?

dzzzy
Flounder
Flounder
2,473 Posts

[Post New]by dzzzy on Nov 7, 12 6:48 PM
Eoarod wrote:dzzzy - I fear our fellow fishies are fiercely frustrated!

We may need another Hondo hint on this one...

Awww, I understand. I was frustrated on the king's tongue one where we didn't even have all of the letters, and they were in a different language. But this one can't be in a foreign language, right? Also, I just googled cryptogram solver and used the first three solvers that popped up to help me get my answer.

Edited on 11/07/2012 at 6:48:32 PM PST

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 7, 12 6:49 PM
Just got back from New York, can someone sum up what I missed today

dzzzy
Flounder
Flounder
2,473 Posts

[Post New]by dzzzy on Nov 7, 12 6:56 PM
Fishies, it also helps to get your first and third words solved seperately. The cipher goes KILGVXG BLFI WRTRGH, so notice in Protect your _ _ _ _ T _, the protect and your only prove one letter in the last word. Solving last word first only proves two letters and locations in the first word. It helps to do this because different solvers eliminate or fail to consider different options. It also helps with trying to solve it by hand.

dzzzy
Flounder
Flounder
2,473 Posts

[Post New]by dzzzy on Nov 7, 12 7:02 PM
Fargosis16 wrote:Just got back from New York, can someone sum up what I missed today

We (think) we solved the facebook clue Gps tpnf ju jt pomz z gpsuojhiu. Go one letter back for each letter and you get: For some it is only y fortnight. Most of us think the y is a typo and the clue should have a b in it which would solve as a. But MCF posted on facebook "Y ask questions." We are currently trying to solve Hondo's clue KILGVXG BLFI WRTRGH.

You can check the thread for some comments by Hondo and Picman.

Anybody like to add anything?

Edited on 11/07/2012 at 7:05:17 PM PST

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 7, 12 7:06 PM
dzzzy wrote:
Fargosis16 wrote:Just got back from New York, can someone sum up what I missed today

We (think) we solved the facebook clue Gps tpnf ju jt pomz z gpsuojhiu. Go one letter back for each letter and you get: For some it is only y fortnight. Most of us think the y is a typo and the clue should have a b in it which would solve as a. But MCF posted on facebook "Y ask questions." We are currently trying to solve Hondo's clue KILGVXG BLFI WRTRGH.

Thanks

[Post New]by crazycatfishlady on Nov 7, 12 7:10 PM
dzzzy wrote:We (think) we solved the facebook clue Gps tpnf ju jt pomz z gpsuojhiu. Go one letter back for each letter and you get: For some it is only y fortnight. Most of us think the y is a typo and the clue should have a b in it which would solve as a. But MCF posted on facebook "Y ask questions."?

Unless "going back a letter" from z is supposed to be implemented as "go back to the beginning of the alphabet". Or someone really did make a typo and "Y ask questions" means, "Ok, we screwed up, you've got the answer, so quit driving yourselves crazy."

I dunno. For some it is only a PITA

dzzzy
Flounder
Flounder
2,473 Posts

[Post New]by dzzzy on Nov 7, 12 7:12 PM
Fargosis16 wrote:
dzzzy wrote:

Thanks

Your welcome

251_Ehmyay
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by 251_Ehmyay on Nov 7, 12 7:16 PM
dzzzy wrote:Fishies, it also helps to get your first and third words solved seperately. The cipher goes KILGVXG BLFI WRTRGH, so notice in Protect your _ _ _ _ T _, the protect and your only prove one letter in the last word. Solving last word first only proves two letters and locations in the first word. It helps to do this because different solvers eliminate or fail to consider different options. It also helps with trying to solve it by hand.

Good point....I thought the last word would be "assets" but I'm missing the "e" from "protect"

MJ_Mystery
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by MJ_Mystery on Nov 7, 12 7:27 PM
I'm so lost on both clues.

samspunker
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by samspunker on Nov 7, 12 7:28 PM
"For some it is only y fortnight."

Y is:
the 25th letter of the alphabet.
the symbol for Yttrium, the 39th element in the periodic table.
a slang term for the YMCA.
a chromosome.
Spanish for "and".
an alliteration of the word/question "why".

and it is also the wrong decoding for a blithering clue on this thread for the blithering idiot I am! It must be a typo!

and yet some how.........................

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Nov 7, 12 7:29 PM
I updated my clue compilation on pg. 106. You can reach it by scrolling to the top of the page and clicking on the Go button beside all the page numbers. Enter 106 and then press Go again. Voila, you're at the current CC.

Detailed explanations of the clue's solutions are given where necessary.

susanszy
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by susanszy on Nov 7, 12 7:32 PM
Thanks Gamelvr30! You rock!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 7, 12 7:32 PM
Great tips, dzzzy!! I've come at it from several angles - including some you recommended - but still nothing that's making me jump for joy! There are so, so, so many possibilities!!

I even tried anagraming (is that even a word? ) a few of the answers I came up with that I didn't like so much - but that's another looong trail!

I also got online and looked at lots & lots of word lists - i.e. looked at "7 letter words ending in..." tried a few of the more common letters...thinking maybe I'd see something that would strike my fancy as a first word for the clue & I could go from there. Nothing flipped my switch that way either!

Now we're speculating on ways to solve clues!! Welp - it's still speculation, I guess!

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Nov 7, 12 7:36 PM
You're welcome, susanszy

samspunker
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by samspunker on Nov 7, 12 7:37 PM
KILGVXG BLFI WRTRGH

SKILFUL PICK BEHELD

Is Hondo and picman trying to tell use we got something right?

Somehow I doubt it!

susanszy
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by susanszy on Nov 7, 12 7:45 PM
OK I even added an extra 'E' in each 'word' to see if that came up with something - nope.

playzmuzic
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by playzmuzic on Nov 7, 12 7:48 PM
My brain started to hurt five pages ago... good job everyone who can actually keep up!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 7, 12 8:06 PM
Still trying...

Can anyone get 2nd & 3rd words to work with Psychic as first word??

I'm futzing with that as well - but wondering if anyone else has tried???

manndiee
Stingray
Stingray
5,395 Posts

[Post New]by manndiee on Nov 7, 12 8:09 PM
Just to cover bases, I tried to translate "KILGVXG BLFI WRTRGH" into Vulcan, Klingon and Romulan. No Luck!

Go to: