Hello from developers!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Hello from developers!

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 6:30 AM
Hello fishies!

My name is Vlad and I'm representing the dev team behind Nightmare Realm: In the End… on the forums. We rarely post but we’re not aliens here - while following lots of threads on different titles we’re hoping to understand what you do or don’t like so we can make better games for you!

Just so you know: we are here, and we are listening to what you are saying!
In case you have any thoughts or ideas on the game, any feedback (both positive or negative) - please share with us!

Cheers and Happy New Year to all of you!

Vlad

Edited on 01/05/2013 at 2:21:14 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Hello from developers!

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 1, 13 6:54 AM
Hello Vlad...

Just wanted to say that I absolutely adored the first "Nightmare Realm" game - have the CE - but was a little disappointed with the way this game plays.

There are quite a few puzzles in this game, and only a handful of HOS. I am a HOG fan first and last, and where puzzles are concerned, I just don't care for them all that much. I don't mind them here and there, to help advance in the game, but not as often as they seem to appear here. From what one of the gamers said there are about 21 puzzles and only 4 HOS in this game.

I just don't care to solve one puzzle after another. And what is even worse is that the Skip button takes about 2 minutes to fill in Casual mode. I really hate it when the Skip button takes so long to fill. Why? I ask myself. If I don't care to do a puzzle or know it's one of those puzzles I know I can't do, I don't want to sit there, staring at the Skip button, waiting for it to fill. I want it over and done with as soon as possible, so I can continue with the game. Why not make it 30 seconds for the fill time in Casual mode?

And I do hope you are not giving us a minimum of a 2-minute wait for the Skip button to fill so that the game appears longer. (I don't care for overly long games anyway.) And seeing that there are about 21 puzzles, that would mean I would have an extra 40+ minutes gameplay I don't care for if I wait each time for the Skip button to fill.

Anyway, hope the above doesn't sound too harsh. I just really dislike a HOG with too many puzzles, and especially a Skip button that takes an ice age to fill.

Happy New Year.

Valdy

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 7:05:09 AM PST

[Post New]by Cattyruefull on Jan 1, 13 8:04 AM
I loved this game because of the story..so different, it fealt like a movie. The bonus tyed it all together. Who ever made up this story give them a raise as they sucked me in and kept me there for the whole game. the only thing that was irritating was how long the skip button lasted. This game to me gets an a+ and will look for next game you put out..and thanks for the effort of a good non predictable story with a suprise ending and a pre-quill!! LOVED the story

[Post New]by ChainOfDogs on Jan 1, 13 8:14 AM
I was very happy with this game. I loved the many puzzles and I especially loved the HOG scenes - performing little tasks to find each object was very engaging and appealing to me. I would love to see more of them in your next game. The SG was very well done, it's not often we get one that keeps up with our gameplay! The map was great too, I just liked the looks of it. Story was marvelous too, loved the end

The only cons (for me) is the puzzles could've been a little more difficult and the SKIP button took far too long. Sometimes I come across a puzzle I don't particularly care for and I'd like to be able to move past it faster. A couple of times I just went and made a cup of tea while I was waiting, lol!

All in all from me. Thank you!

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 8:20:14 AM PST

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 8:19 AM
Hey Valdy!

Thank you for your thoughts on our game! It’s always a pleasure to receive such detailed answers (whatever positive or not) - that means people really care about what you’re doing

Speaking about puzzles/HOS ratio – we’ve been receiving many feedbacks since the first installment of Nightmare Realm series that told us people are getting tired of random searches of objects that were not related to the game story anyway. And that was the thing that bugged our team too: we do love HOS but we want that every game scene makes sense. We want these scenes to be highly interactive so they don’t feel random and thus don’t spoil the flow of the game. We thought “okay; we’re gonna make HOS only if they fit the story well. We’re never gonna add up another one just to make our game seem longer to players”. So, you’re absolutely right – there’s only four of them in the main game. However, in the extra episode we end up with the concept that nearly cried out for the HOS involvement – and we definitely made three of them! I still think that they fit the bonus story perfectly so we’re keeping being honest to our players)

Same thing with puzzles – many people like minigames so we cannot just ditch the whole idea. What we did is try to keep them fresh and unhacked. Whether we did succeed or not – it’s always you the players who decide). And thanks for the comment on skip recharge time! This parameter is pretty difficult to nail during the tests as every player has his own opinion on game difficulty. So all we could do is to analyze all the opinions we had and try to make some average out of them. Of course, there is always a possibility of miss – that’s why we’re here to listen your opinions! That would be of great use for our future titles. We definitely don’t want anyone to think we’re trying to make our games seem longer that cheap way. You can notice that it took us a year and a half to come up with the sequel to our first game – and the only reason for that was we wanted to make the complete series installment packed with tons of new stuff. So we never had to try to artificially prolong our game – I’d rather say we had to reluctantly cut many things out

Once again – thank you, Valdy! It feels incredible to hear the live reaction from the players all around the world – really, it’s priceless for us)

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 1, 13 8:21 AM
Hi Vlad,

It's great to see that your company cares enough to come here and talk to us about our experiences. I wish more would.

On the somewhat downside:

For those of us who have not played the prequel to this game, a better introduction as to who the Extractors etc are would have made things a lot clearer. I was quite confused to start with.

I'm also wondering why only two of the characters have lip syncing and none of the others do. That, to me, was a bit strange. I think you also need to look at the timing of your lip syncing, voiceovers, written dialogue, sound and music. They often lagged behind each other and became impossible during the last scenes of the main game.

I agree that in Casual Mode the Skip button is too slow for gamers who do not wish to play all of the puzzles.

On the positive side:

Once I got used to your gameplay, map and character cards I began to thoroughly enjoy the game. The graphics are lovely and the world you have created reminds me of the Myst games. Your puzzles are unique and challenging. I only skipped one because it has a glitch (the pyramid stones in the small cave that you need to move from left to right don't move at all once you place two stones).

Since I love adventure games with lots of difficult puzzles and not so many H0S this game was right up my alley. The few H0S that there are are some of the best I've ever played; highly interactive with very interactive puzzle games incorporated, especially the one in the Post Office.

I think the complaint a lot of H0S players will have is that there are so few. Your game is really an Adventure Lite/Puzzle and perhaps should not be described as a HOPA and categorised as such. That, however, is not your fault.

Loved the game and will definitely play the first.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 8:27 AM
Cattyruefull

ChainOfDogs

Thank you! We’re really glad you like our latest game! After so many months of hard work it feels like a charm And we’ll definitely take your thoughts on skip recharge into the account for our future titles!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 1, 13 8:36 AM
Tiger2010 wrote:I think the complaint a lot of H0S players will have is that there are so few. Your game is really an Adventure Lite/Puzzle and perhaps should not be described as a HOPA and categorised as such. That, however, is not your fault.

That was what disappointed me: that there were that few HOS in this game.

--- --- ---

Vlad... thank you for your reply. It's much appreciated. I too am getting tired of playing HOGs in which I come across one HOS after another. It does get really tiresome. However, you very much underdid it in this game and, I think, overdid it with the puzzles. LOL

However, this is a lovely game. I don't mean to say anything negative about it. I just was rather surprised about the complete opposite of what the last game was like.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Jan 1, 13 8:41 AM
Hi Vlad,

I loved the original game and am thoroughly enjoying this one too. My only real niggle is not being able to use the map to jump to places of interest (and it's not a huge niggle even so).

Looking forward to the next one in the series!

Kamali.

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 8:44:46 AM PST

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Jan 1, 13 8:52 AM
Hi Vlad and Happy New Year!

Just finished playing and wanted to let you know I thought this game was excellent! Very creative way to do the HO's in bonus chapter, really made me think!

Only thing I would ask of you and your team is may we please have a reset button in the puzzles?

Thanks and keep these games coming!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 9:05 AM
Hello Tiger2010! Thanks a lot for your pros & cons analysis!

Speaking to the story introduction - that was the hardest challenge for us all! Right from the beginning we wanted to make a direct sequel to the first NR ghame as we felt there were a lot of things left untold. But the exact moment we began to develop the NRITE (Nightmare Realm: in the end...) we realized that could be much of a problem because apart from being a sequel this game should feel good as a standalone one for those who didn't play the first series installment. So, we began to add new introduction scenes which only led to players started to loose their interest soon People didn't care about the Fosters story, the whole Nightmare Realm background - they wanted to play straight away. So, making a prologue to this game was like walking through a minefield: first we've added up some introductory elements and then we started to cut them one by one leaving only the essentials, the ones that could be provided via the gameplay. If you read game forums, you can see that even now many people complaining they get bored during the first 15-20 minutes - that is when the backstory is providing. So, you're totally right - we could (and should) set the backstory better but the risks they would get bored were too high. The only thing I can say now is we tried to do our best

As for voiceovers: we all know voiceovers can do good. But bad VO can ruin the whole game. We also cannot frustrate our players with some bad accent voice artists, or with the people who consider doing a VO for a video game "easy money". As we're based far from English-speaking territories, freelancers are always our only option so it takes A LOT of time to make them sound as we feel they should. So one day we just thought that if we make the VO for cutscenes only we can spend this time on polishing the game itself which we suppose was the right choice. Of course, when we find more more artists that are on our wave (like the guy who did David & Jeff voices - he's awesome!), we'll consider making more VO. Until then, I think we cannot give our players the product which quality is below par As for the problems with desynch - I think that is a tech-related problems which I cannot discuss here but I'm sure if you contact the BFG customer support they'll do their best to help you. To tell you frank, lypsinc, music and sounds were synchronized perfectly upon the release

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 9:06 AM
And once again - thak you Tiger2010 for all the good words you've found for us - that is always an inspiration for pushing forward!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 1, 13 9:14 AM
Thank you very much for the reply, Dev_V. I much appreciate the explanation. It's good to know what goes on behind the scenes that causes certain decisions as we gamers are, of course, mostly not IT experts and are in the dark.

And please don't get me wrong, the English used in the game both in terms of verbal and written was perfect. It was just all the lagging behind towards the end, but perhaps I had a process that started in the background that caused it. I'll be replaying at some stage.

I'm off to download the first Nightmare Realm now. Great job and thanks for a wonderful game. Happy New Year!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 9:16 AM
Hi Kamali!

Thanks for playing through our games! As for the map - you can see that we remodelled the whole concept so it could feel a bit more fresh and interesting. And I agree - the jumping would be a good addition but it also gave so much tech problems so we've decided to hold it off at least until our next project.
Stay tuned!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 9:27 AM
Hi Cyndo123!

Thanks for congratulations! And we really appreciate you like our HOS in the bonus chapter (to tell you frank, we were a bit concerned that players won't like them since they are different ).
As for reset button - deal! We'll certainly take this into the account in our upcoming titles.

shazoz
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by shazoz on Jan 1, 13 9:38 AM
I just wanted to pop in & say a huge thank you for being interested in our opinions. it is very refreshing to see a developer take the time to talk, explain & actually listen to us. i had not tried your games before ( I am a strategy/time management junkie) But I am off to the game lists, to find yours. I feel that the respect you showed us deserves a look at your games. Well done Happy New Year & all success to you

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 9:43 AM
Thank you shazoz! Fingers crossed you'll like our game
Once you'll try it - please welcome back here to share your thoughts on it! We'll be around

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Jan 1, 13 9:51 AM
Hi Dev V,

happy New Year!

I really loved the first Nightmare Realm (have played it twice), and now I'm half through the new one. Well - I guess I'm half through . I just had to take a break because one of the puzzles (opening the door to the abandoned house) was a little exhausting... just the way I like it!

So far I'm really impressed, especially concerning the gorgeous artwork which is something of high importance for me. And I don't seem to lose my interest - well done!
Others have mentioned the lack of HOScenes; I'm absolutely pleased about that since the emphasis is on adventure and problem solving. I appreciate that.

What I dislike is the fact that there is no RESET option in some of the puzzles - so some mini games can be a little frustrating since you don't seem to have the possibility to correct your mistakes. I hate skipping, and I love figuring things out by myself.
Furthermore I'd be happy to have an INTERACTIVE MAP.

Kudos! I highly recommend your games and I'm looking forward to your next releases!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 10:12 AM
Hi banshee10!

Thanks for finding time to write us back! I hope there will be a lot more things you like on your way to NRITE finale (to tell you frank, the Extractors' city is one of my favorite places in game ).

As for reset button and map interactivity - yes, we've already marked these in our to-do list for future projects so thanks for pointing it out!

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on Jan 1, 13 10:39 AM
Hi Dev V,

Happy New Year!

l played the trial so far and l am stuck in the nature pic. Not because l don´t know what to do, just because it is so wonderfully made with its graphics and the music (a singing dryad?).
Of course l bought it and l really hope the rest of this game is nearly so well made as this part.
My kudos!
And to add this, l really like the idea of the "map". A game in a game is at first a bit confusing, but when you found out what it means it´s way more interesting as all maps l´ve seen before.

Now, the download is halfway done. Guess l´ll see you later..

Go to: