bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Grim Tales: The Stone Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 3, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Grim Tales: The Stone Queen Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Grim Tales: The Stone Queen Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Stone Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 3, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jan 3, 13 1:16 AM
The Pachyderm team did a superb job in this one. Definitely a 10/10 in my book. Kudos to the Pachyderm team!

Story: You have a Medusa type witch who decides to get her revenge by getting the people stoned. She's highly upset about something, and it's up to us to figure out what. Who knows, she might be having woman problems.

Music: Awesome. Fits the game just right.

Graphics: Truly superb. The kind where I stop the game just to look.

Mini games: Not to hard or easy, just in the groove.

Hint System: Can't say. Don't use in hidden object scenes except on rare occasions or if I am truly lost.

All in all, this one did not disappoint like the other ones in the series didn't. Looking for to seeing the rest of the story and playing a wonderful game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 3, 13 1:24 AM
Morning, all...

There are 4 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casua, Advanced, Hardcore.

There is some voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen.

The Hint button is at the left. Outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes) it tells you exactly what your next step should be.

The Map is at the right. It shows you where you are, where the action is, and it can be used to jump.

The SG (strategy guide) is at the top left. It stays open where you last left it open.

The HOS are partly interactive.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons take about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode

--- --- ---

This is an Elephant Games game, and frankly, I am used to getting more from their CEs. I don't see any achievements or morphing objects or anything else that I usually get, and which won't appear in the SEs.

The story and gameplay are well done, as usual (although I have played games by this dev that excited me far more than this one), and I am not too impressed with the graphics in the HOS.

Unless someone else stumbles across those extras I mentioned, I will wait for the SE to come out. This would be the first game by this developer where I'd rather wait for the SE.

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 3:11:43 AM PST

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Jan 3, 13 1:45 AM
While I too am not sure what qualifies this game to be a CE as opposed to SE except the SG, but the hint button is all you really need it seems as it does tell you exactly what to do if you are stuck. But, I think the game is different and really fun without tons of HOS so far and lots of things to find and fun puzzles. Don't really want to wait for the SE to continue playing but will try as I have other games to play and punches to use.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jan 3, 13 2:21 AM
hmmmmmmm....really on the fence about this one...one thing, the lack of constant music, only dead silence most of the time..that actually gets on my nerves....the storyline is not keeping my interest either...certainly not as good as the previous Grim Tales games unfortunately..but that is just my opinion....I am sure lots of fishies will enjoy this game...I will wait for the SE and check it out again later.....to all that love this game, enjoy

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 3, 13 4:16 AM
I'm also not sure why this game qualifies as CE; while it does have the usual wallpapers, concept art etc which are available immediately, there are no achievements or morphing objects. So aside from the SG (which I did use during the demo), there's not much else for me that justifies spending twice the price. I think the developers must have used up all their extras on Nutcracker and pared this game down to basics.

The graphics are lovely as always and the story is very engaging but is it really a CE? Yes there's a bonus chapter but unless it adds to the main story or is something very special, I think I'll wait for the SE. Money is tight as well so this is the first CE from this developer I'm passing on.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 3, 13 6:34 AM
Well, I like this game, love the theme the story behind the revenge, it actually teach a lesson about greed.

I played on casual mode to get the best out of the demo and quite simply I played the entire demo without even noticing until was over.

So is a buy for me.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 3, 13 7:20 AM
as valdy said about extras, we will wait for the SE.--------------doug & lisa

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jan 3, 13 7:50 AM
lovely, but I'll also wait for the SE. With the holidays over money is tight to all fishies. BIG FISH WAIT FOR A WHILE BEFORE SENDING US ALL THESE CE'S, THAT ARE NOT CE'S

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 3, 13 8:33 AM
Review after a little over half of demo:

Graphics nice although a little cluttered in some of the H0 scenes. Puzzles - fairly easy thus far. Music/voices - I don't know as I didn't have the speaker on. Story - interesting. Game play - no slow or jerky cursor, screen filled with no black bars. Map - good although at one point the "cut scene" on the map showed empty but there was something do to in that area. Hint - OK. Fairly logical on what to do although will require going back and forth to accomplish a task (which I do like).

I did notice in a H0 scene that I could not pick up an item that I thought was the one listed, so I asked for a hint which showed me just what I was trying to pick up..still couldn't after three tries so I exited the scene and went back into it....still couldn't pick it up. Next I exited the game and closed it. Restarted the game and once again back to the H0 scene...still couldn't pick it up so kept trying and trying and eventually I could get it. Maybe a glitch?

Overall, I like playing the game but as I have become a bit skeptical regarding CEs with no extras such as morphing or beyond objects, things to collect, etc and a short (less than 4 hrs) playing time excluding bonus, and as what I described could be a glitch (I'll check the tech support forum to see if others are having problems) I think I must wait to buy the game...maybe as a SE. I also wish I could take advantage of some of the bundle sales...maybe if I stop buying games, at some point I will be able to "get a bundle"!

Pretty nice game overall...except for the above.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 3, 13 12:02 PM
Played the trial and enjoyed the game. I played the other Stone Queen and think that was better but I could be wrong. Hints reload fast, there is a map where the tasks are written and you can jump to the place you want. Graphics are good once again. Trying to follow along with the story, but haven't really got much out of it, maybe you have to play longer. Doubt if I will buy the CE as I have quite a few games to play and don't want to get to far ahead of myself. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 3, 13 12:05 PM
Wow, I can't believe this is an Elephant game! I have the other three Grim Tale games and really loved them. In fact, I have a huge number of Elephants games, as they are one of my favorite devs. What happened, did you hire a student new to the game?

Anyway, graphics were not up to the their usual excellent specs (very cartoony), game play was good, music was odd (came in and out and had long periods of complete silence - very boring). HOGs okay, but a bit cluttered (items not difficult to find). Games very simple. Nothing extra to find or do to keep your interest.

Game was not challenging at all and after the first 3 games, very disappointing to say the least. This would be a nice little game for a beginner...someone who has never played any of the other Grim games, or any of the other Elephant games. Nothing in this game made me want to continue to see what happens. It did have promise with the stone people story, but it just didn't go anywhere...no flow to the game. Sorry, no buy at the CE price and not sure I would buy it at any price. I really wanted to add this to my Grim collection too.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may really enjoy it. Thanks for the reviews.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jan 3, 13 1:32 PM
I almost finished the demo but gave up from a bad case of "enh, whatever". A bit of a silly story with no logic anywhere - getting a funnel out of a sewn-up doctor's bag, and needing a number code to get into a car - with cartoon characters, a troll, and a very-obviously-lifted-from-the-movie Dobbie.

Not interested enough even to wait for the SE.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 3, 13 1:45 PM
Not impressed at all. Will wait to see how I feel about it as a SE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 3, 13 2:00 PM
Another little tale from the Pachyderm. I used to like to watch the old Hammer films on the Gorgons. The gorgons can be very mean girls with hearts of stone. Yet, this game just leaves me "stone cold." To me this game does not live up to the greatness and cutting edge game development from this dev. To me, this is a little too "light" to be considered a CE. I feel very badly about criticizing this game after we received a very good game from these devs at Christmas. But as another has stated, I think they put everything into the Nutcracker game. This one is definitely lacking the quality of the standard BF game. However, It is still a cut above other CEs we have had come out recently. Maybe, BF is bringing out way too many CEs (two per week). You are going to lose quality when you mass produce these games. I liked yesterday's offering and probably will wait until this game is offered as an SE. My New Year's resolution is to only pay the elevated CE price when the games are spectacular. Unfortunately, this is not what I would call spectacular.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 3, 13 2:38 PM
On full demo only

I wasn't going to post this here but reposted here as I want elephant to get this feedback.

It's a shame elephant didn't listen and start giving us some CE worthy extras in the grim tales series. It's their one series they never have but have been hoping they would listen but no.

Also grim tales legacy (which is two GTs back and also some puzzles were hard) was mega long, grim tales wishes (last one) was a chapter less and shorter but still a long game. Here with stone queen it appears they have shortened it again and it doesn't look like it will be long and more like their recent shorter games. Demo ended under an hour and there are 4 chapters plus a bonus chapter. (Although I do play demos quicker than the real game, so the other chapters might be long )

Re graphics it's exactly like the last GT (wishes) where one HOS is quite clear (although nowhere as well done as the good ones in the wishes) and the next one isn't. Really disappointed in the HOS as the graphics aren't up to their highest standard - (clear and sharp), just look like most other devs.

I have also just played the beginning of the last GT to compare the graphics (just in case my memory is wrong) and I feel with this game it's more got that wash onto it - like it's half way between an elephant and a ERS game.
In the wishes it was a dark plot but the graphics were not 'washed' but had really good colour - that dark forest in wishes was so beautiful and indoors was so sharp and vibrant.

When you zoom in on a couple of things - it has elephant's trademark very sharp, colour graphics but on other things it's not. And the castle at the end was just OK. Also here, the lips don't move on the pop up boxes.

The plot is the kind that is a variant that I've seen others devs use and how it was done - a bit weird but you know people are turned to stone. Even though legacy I thought plot was more weird it didn't feel as 'old' as how it was done (not that we have loads of plots of turning people into stone it's more how it's implemented - substitute stone for anything else and you get the picture.)

Can't believe I'm saying this but I do wish elephant would slow down slightly as they are going down the road of another dev and could 'churn' them out, although thankfully I do feel each are quite different but I wish they could put more time into making their games even an hour longer and quality and get good puzzle people on board.

TBC

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 2:42:12 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 3, 13 2:40 PM
continued

I am probably very wrong (what's new ) but it looks like that they have expanded and got some new graphics people and they are doing what they've done before instead of elephant saying how their look is. Or for some reason elephant wants their games to look like other developers now, which I wish they wouldn't. It's a good standard but it's not quite elephant's standard IMO. When I went into the mine I could have sworn that looked like a ERS scene.

There was one puzzle that was a bit insulting to be classed a puzzle (maybe an interaction OK) find the code - it's right in front of you!

I will say it has one of my favourite puzzles in it - the one at the end of the demo - the pearl and the gem gate lock, love those kinds. but the rest of the puzzles (apart from the nanogram) was just OK.

Guess I've something to spend a coupon on when the SE comes out. So far the last grim tales still looks the best so far, this doesn't come close and in fact is my least favourite of all of them (from the demo only!)

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 2:46:05 PM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 3, 13 5:01 PM
Like most everyone else, I'm a little disappointed in this game. I own all of the game by this developer (Elephant Games), and this is the first one I really have zero interest in buying.

-The graphics are just OK, and not up to usual standards.
- The story is kind of same old, same old. Also, it kind of makes no sense.
- Puzzles are too easy. Interactive in hidden object scenes is not very exciting.
- Having the strategy guide button right on the side of the screen all of the time is kind of obnoxious. It should be with the menu buttons.
- There are no morphing items, or extra items to collect. No trophies or achievements, either! Very disappointing.

All in all, it doesn't seem worth it to me to get the CE. This developer usually adds many extra fun things to their CEs (morphing objects, trophies, coins to collect, rooms to decorate with collected trophies/coin money, etc), and this has none of that.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 3, 13 5:35 PM
Nothing about this game makes me want to run out and buy it. It's confusing, i.e., the boy was mortally wounded. Doesn't that mean "dead"? Yet he is obviously breathing.

I don't understand how BF gave this game 4 1/2 stars, when nearly every review was a so, so review. Only a couple of people really "loved it". I'm not sure I would even purchase it with a coupon or game credit.

Go to: