ROICOM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Sunshine Acres Virus Detection

[Post New]by ROICOM on Feb 18, 09 3:58 PM
I have had Sunshine Acres on my computer since October 2008 and, up until a fortnight ago never had a problem with it. Now I am finding that my Norton Internet Virus is reading the game as containing a virus and is quarantining the game.

The file that Norton is detecting is called a W32.IRCBot.

If you try and load Sunshine Acres you will find that you can't activate it and appear in your MY GAMES panel. NAV will detect that file and quarantine it.

If you have your game installed already, when you go to play it you will find that there is no response. Then your NAV window will say that it detected a W32.IRCBot file. If you open up you game control window you will find Sunshine Acres is gone.

I have spoken with Norton about this, and they tested my computer to verify that it was only Sunshine Acres that was experiencing this problem. All other games loaded OK and stay online OK.

Can you please look into this? Has anyone had this problem?

The only way I can install Sunshine Acres is to turn the auto protect, firewall and intrusion protection filters off. Same with running it.

Thank you.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

Re:Sunshine Acres Virus Detection

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Feb 18, 09 5:25 PM
Hello Roicom!

I would like to reassure you that our games do not contain viruses. It appears that your virus protection program has incorrectly identified a particular part of the program used to run this game as a virus. Since you've been able to run this game for so long with no problem, this is most likely due to a recent update to your anti-virus.

We do have a person in our office who's sole job is contacting anti-virus companies about these kinds of problems, and we'll be sure to bring this one to his attention. He spends his entire day talking to these software makers and working on solutions to the false-reports of viruses in our programs. We have done this in hopes that not only will these problems get resolved quicker, but perhaps they can be avoided altogether in the future.

However, we do recommend that you contact Norton's Customer Support to let them know that their software is giving a "false positive" for this game. They may be able to instruct you on how to set your anti-virus software to allow this game to run. They're also more likely to investigate and fix issues such as this when contacted by their customers about it.

If you have any further questions regarding this or any other technical issue with a game, please contact our Customer Support department for assistance. You can contact our support team by clicking here or by clicking on the "We're here to help" link at the right of this page.

Cheers!
-bfgCelebes

Edited on 02/18/2009 at 5:26:59 PM PST

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

Re:Sunshine Acres Virus Detection

[Post New]by bfgErie on Feb 18, 09 5:54 PM
We have a new build of the Sunshine Acres available on the website right now. This new version of Sunshine Acres should correct the false-positive report from some antivirus programs. Please note that this game did not contain a virus. To get the new version, simply uninstall the game from your computer and then reinstall the game from our website. For instructions on how to do this, click on the link below that will take you to a help page article that gives you step by step information:

Uninstall / Reinstall a Game

If you have any trouble installing the new version of the game, please contact our Technical Support team. You can contact our support team by clicking here or by clicking on the "We're here to help" link at the right of this page.

bfgErie

Go to: