bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 5, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 5, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 5, 13 12:38 AM
In case it is helpful at all, you can click here to check out the reviews for the CE version of this game.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 01/05/2013 at 12:39:08 AM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 5, 13 12:43 AM
I purchased this game as a CE and it is a delight! Give it a try as a trial, and you might want to give the CE a look, too. That's the best way to decide for yourself. I know when a game has been "special" to me when I take the time to put a screen saver from that game on my computer, and though I have moved on to other games, I still have a screen saver from the collectors edition of Detective Quest: The Crystal slipper on my screen!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 5, 13 12:50 AM
Morning all...

This game is by Elephant Games and has 7 chapters.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a button for "Special Effects".

There is a Graphics slider for "Gamma".

The Hint button, in form of an old-fashioned telephone, is at the left. When used outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), it will tell you exactly what to do next.

Your interactive Map is at the right. Just below the map is the Menu button.

The HOS are those where you need to put things back into the scene or use the items in your inventory to do something with, i.e. use matches to light a candle. (Can't remember now whether there were different ones as well).

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons fill fast in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I very much enjoyed playing both the main game and the bonus game. The graphics, it seemed to me, were not all that great in the beginning of the game, but got better the further I got into it. That aside, it was a great game. I never got bored for a minute.

--- --- ---

SPOILER ALERT about the CE version:

A Camera will be placed permanently in your inventory. You will come across mystical creatures of which you have to take photos. There are 30 photos in all you can take, 4 of those creatures you will find in the bonus game.

ETA: It seems I stand corrected, and the photo collection is part of the SE. That's a new one for this developer. Usually you only get those extras in the CE. And I was sure you would only get this particular extra in the CE because you continue to take 4 more photos in the CE.

Edited on 01/05/2013 at 1:18:48 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 5, 13 12:56 AM
PHOTO COLLECTABLES ARE IN THE SE!

*I finished the CE - plot 100% tied up in this SE version*

This game should have been named ‘jumble mess of every fairy tale’ as it would have been more accurate. At the beginning I thought it was the tale of Cinderella with a twist but then the plot just got truly bizarre. Nearly every character in a fairy tale appeared and then throw in some weird animals and that’s your plot.

Sometimes this all works out but not here, it was all over the place and I couldn’t make heads or tails of the whole story. Yes the animals were well done and some cute but it was like there was 3 different plots going on at one time and none ended up making any sense or working in harmony together. If they took the animals and did that in another story that would have been good but all those other fairytale characters showing up made no sense at all.

Especially at the beginning, I felt like they were trying to copy a few other developers which makes no sense as they are the leaders and are the best of what they do, so it ended up being subpar for my taste. Some of the early outdoor graphics reminded me of some older boomzap games, and the princess is called Isabella (there is a series of games called princess Isabella from another dev), then there are the animals that don’t quite make sense so that felt like an ERS game!

After the gorgeous graphics of nutcracker and the 3D stunning graphics of unfinished tales comes the flat weird graphics especially outside at the beginning: The graphics did get better as it went along but didn’t understand why they didn’t stay with their usual top of the line graphics. Their recent grim tales, stone queen game they’ve done the same.

The scrolling transporter map sometimes took 3 clicks to get into an area as you had to zoom in (being careful where you place the mouse) on a larger area then it brought up all the rooms. It does give a picture and a list of objectives that have to be completed in the area. It would be great to have a more customisable hardness setting, and on the map to be able to click on and off for map tips.

All three modes of play are their usual and you can change midgame which is good.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 5, 13 12:58 AM
continued

14 HOS

For the first time elephant hasn’t done straight list type and here they are all the reverse kind. You get an item in your inventory and you have to place them in the scene. This is my favourite kind of HOS and I actually take time and enjoy them rather than trying to random click my way through some scenes if they are junk pile or just don’t want to do a HOS. I think one or two were junk pile but the rest was more cluttered but some well done. You never repeat any HOS in any elephant game.

24 Puzzles

I class puzzles as one that has a skip button on them as there were plenty of interactions. They all were very easy to easy maybe a couple of medium hardness in main game. We aren’t stupid so I don’t know why they are now going down the road of going easier and easier, just like everybody else. I get very bored when puzzles are so easy and frankly don’t want to do them.
They did have some good twists on some of them so at least those were a bit different to play, but I wasn’t really loving them. I don’t mind so much easy puzzles if they are really different and one well but they mostly weren’t.

I also don’t know why there have been loads of fairy tale games from elephant – one after another. I hope that isn’t the future from them as while I don’t mind a fairy tale for a change I liked elephant games as they were neither dark nor super girly and did straightforward tales like MT or surface and they were harder and in a few places (especially the map) this felt a bit too girly for my taste although the other fairy tale games didn’t.

I didn’t like this game at all at the beginning (due to above) but the last 1-2 hrs were the best and the graphics and even the plot seem to be slightly more focused again. Don’t get me wrong most of the gameplay was quite good and good in places, which is why I am recommending the SE. I did not recommend the CE.

Yes it’s me, an avid elephant fan – my favourite developers and I haven’t been invaded by aliens I was going to give this game 3 stars but I went in and noticed the photo collectable is available in the SE which is the first time they have done this since MT raincliff.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 5, 13 12:59 AM
continued

PHOTO COLLECTABLES
(some spoilers - click and drag to highlight to read)

Basically you take a photo of *every animal you see* but you have to be careful of timing as if you do certain things *with some animals or creatures* they disappear and if you miss one you've missed it. I didn't like that on hardcore mode there was a camera icon on every thing that you can take the photo of, there was no challenge whatsover but for a SE it's something.

I didn't accurately record my time, but it was over 4hrs but I don't think it went near 5hrs (on hardcore mode). This is playing time not including breaks etc.

Edited on 01/05/2013 at 1:05:40 AM PST

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Jan 5, 13 1:41 PM
I played the demo of the CE on this one ...loved it ! I decided to wait on the SE and it's here already ! Have to wait till pay day (Monday) to buy it though I can't wait ! Although I am enjoying the newest Phantasmat game right now I see that I'm going to miss the awesome sale going on now Oh well happy gaming fishes

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 5, 13 6:27 PM
It's certainly nice to have a game that's not all doom and gloom. However, the big drawback for me is that there are absolutely no standard HOG scenes. I am an avid HOG lover. I will still probably get this game, however with a coupon.

janierae
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by janierae on Jan 6, 13 9:15 AM
I played the CE of this game and had more fun than I've had in quite some time with a CE. I especially enjoyed the HOS. Something different and a challenge. It took me quite a while to play.

I think this is worth a CE. The bonus game was fun also. The difficulty level, advanced, for me was just right.

Not sure if this is a review or a comment. Let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Five Stars for me.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Jan 7, 13 4:44 PM
I waited for the SE. I'm not finished yet, but I am thoroughly enjoying this game.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 8, 13 7:57 AM
Just finished. It was superb. Loved every minute.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jan 14, 13 4:04 PM
Finished Mac hour demo . . . as ever, the depiction of animals and objects is outstanding, of people not so much (stereotypical). Heavy-duty emphasis on animal cuteness, as seen before. Story a mish-mosh, but the art makes up for it. I won't spring for the CE, but will probably go for the SE eventually.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 15, 13 6:49 PM
have just completed the demo and this one has it all! definite buy

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 26, 13 2:44 AM
I played the demo and not quite finished yet, loved the game I would love to buy the CE but it will not work for me to many glitches in the game, so I tried the SE and the game works fine for me, This game is very beautiful love the story lines and graphics
sounds are nice to listen to , I know this game is a buy thx DEV's for all your hard work and time keep up the good work thx BF for everything you do for your fishes in the pond.. 5 's

pinkwitch12
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwitch12 on Feb 1, 13 4:05 PM
I just got the game, and I have to rave. It is a delight. The way they make you find the objects and place them IN the HOG instead of finding the named objects is wonderful. I hope they do it again. I loved the way it was so helpful without being smarmy as some of the MCF games have become. The folks making these elephant games have outdone themselves on this one.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Feb 2, 13 5:04 AM
I won't rehash things people have already said. I did love this game because of the way they handled the HOS. Yes, the graphics are beautiful and pretty much everything i dislike in other game was absent here.

The fact that Giselle's name was pronounced differently didn't bother me. We Americans must get used to the fact that all our great games are produced in other countries. For all we know we may be pronouncing it incorrectly.

Anyway i loved the game and hope for more like it. I wish i had bought the CE and perhaps i will.

I highly recommend this game.

[Post New]by Maelianitha on Feb 5, 13 4:49 PM
So I played this game through all the way, and I enjoyed it.

It was beautifully drawn, with interesting puzzles.. And I loved the twist on the 'hidden object' games.. Rather than find a specified object you had to place objects into the right place in the scene. I loved that!

But.. One thing really just irritated me..

The voice acting. The voices were fine for the characters and well done but..

You'd think they'd get name pronunciation correct through all characters...

Only two characters ever say the name during the game. The prince pronounces this correctly.

I'm sure most people know how to pronounce the name "Giselle" - Gi-Zell

The fairy godmother.. Says "Gee-Zil" ... When only TWO characters state a name from the game I'd have thought the director would have noticed such a glaring difference..

[Post New]by HaroldPutter on Feb 18, 13 7:28 AM
Great story, beautiful graphics, HOG's and the mini-games are innovative without being brain-numbing, earn achievements ... no glitches. This is a buy for me.

Go to: