bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Newest Forum: Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 6, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Newest Forum: Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 6, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Reviews for Newest Forum: Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jan 6, 13 12:55 AM
If I could of gave this game 10 stars I would have. These devs don't need live actors. They make their characters so real. Voice acting superbly done.

Story: You see a farmer riding in a carriage as the story really starts from there and he realizes his driver has no head, jumps out and meets his fate not to far in the cornfield. Then you switch to Constable Crane talking to the judge to go to Sleepy Hollow to get this murderer.

Graphics: Gorgeously done. My hubby and I just stopped and looked for a bit.

Music: Fit beautifully with the game. Couldn't of been done better.
Mini games: Not too hard nor easy, done just right. Nicely challenging.

Hint system: Can be used outside of the hidden objects scene as well. But I didn't use it for the hidden object scenes though. I like to go for the achievements.

All in all, kudos to this dev. They did a superb job on this game.

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Jan 6, 13 12:59 AM
I'm not familiar with the Devs, but it looks like an interesting game. Voice overs and full screen. Some items in the HOS are hidden from obvious view but the scenes are clear and the items aren't tiny. Find golden horseshoes to buy 'trophies', and there are rewards for finding things quickly, etc. Graphics are clear and well done. Two game play options. I always mute the music so can't comment on that. Quick download with no glitches. Looking forward to a spooky game! Thanks Dens & BF!

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on Jan 6, 13 1:14 AM
i got a deja vu hasnt this game been released some years ago?
and no i didnt beta it

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 6, 13 1:19 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers. So... beware.

This game has 5 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Easy and Difficult.

There is only the custom cursor. But it's small and unintrusive.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

Your Diary is at the left.

Your Hint button, in form of a pumpkin, is at the right. It shows you exactly where to go and do something outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), and takes about 45-50 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

The SG (strategy guide), which is also at the right (that tiny SG sign just left of the pumpkin), stays open where you last left it open. It also contains the "Achievement List" and shows you where to find the "Golden Horseshoes".

ETA: In the demo, you can only access chapter 1 from the SG. You will, however, be able to view all chapters once you have bought the game.

The HOS are partly interactive. Sometimes you will find a word list, and other times you will get pictures of objects to find.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes over a minute to fill in Easy mode.

There are Achievements.

You will be able to find golden horseshoes, inside the HOS and in the main scenes. You can find out how many horseshoes you have collected at the very top of your screen. Click on it, and you will get to the "Achievements" section, where you will also find objects you can buy with your horseshoes.

You can also check on your trophies and achievements by clicking on "Trophies" in the Main Menu.

Some objects in the inventory can be combined. If you think you have 2 objects that need combining, just click on the "Combine" tab to open.

--- --- ---

I have seen the film "Sleepy Hollow" many years ago, and was struck by the resemblence of the Peter van Garrett in this game and Martin Landau, who played him in the film.

ETA: To me, the constable doesn't look anything like Johnny Depp, but he does resemble the English actor Hugh Grant.

Although this game seems a tad outdated (no system cursor, only 2 choices of gameplay, long fill times, etc, I love the graphics, cut scenes, and gameplay. And Iove the extras I get in the gameplay - very important for me.

Don't know whether this game is CE material, but since I can get it in the sale for just a fraction more than I would pay for a standard-priced SE, I will be purchasing this game.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 2:56:37 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 6, 13 1:24 AM
ciscaR8 wrote:i got a deja vu hasnt this game been released some years ago?
and no i didnt beta it

You are right - and I have it - but it was a straight HOG, and the story was close to the real sarcastic plot, about a coward, who believed in ghosts, coming to a village to be a teacher, and striving to become rich exploiting the farmers and their wives...
I played it many times...

The present game has different plot, more serious, but still with ghosts etc. For some reason, all the objects in the HOS scenes appeared on my screen micro-mini, and blended to the background. On the fence...

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 1:30:32 AM PST

annita33
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,725 Posts

[Post New]by annita33 on Jan 6, 13 1:39 AM
If you saw Sleepy Hollow the movie with Johnny Depp then this game is just like the movie I have to say the character of Constable Crane looks a little like Johnny Depp and sounds just as he did in the movie. The graphics are very clear I didn't come across any dark corners. There are 2 game modes Easy & Difficult. There are achievements and golden horseshoes to find so you can purchase trophies so there are alot of extras. In the demo you will only get to see the 1st chapter in the strategy guide there are 5 chapters and the bonus gameplay. These are the same Devs who bought us Lost Souls Enchanted Paintings. I am looking forward to another fun game.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 6, 13 2:08 AM
I agree with much of what has already been said, and believe this is an excellent game. Sort of old-style, like Valdy pointed out----but at the sale price, that's ok, because it's still fun to play, and tells a good story.

The graphics are quite nice, the game mechanics are very good, and the game is in WIDESCREEN.

The HOS are cleverly done, and a nice challenge.

The puzzles are similar to what we've seen before, but are varied a bit to make them interesting and a bit more difficult.

And, yes annita33 is right----the Crane character does look a bit like Johnny Depp, and Valdy is right----the Peter van Garrett character resembles Martin Landau (and sounds like Vincent Price). Great voice acting.

All the CE extras are locked, but appear to be the usual gang (wallpapers, etc.).

I especially like all the achievements and items to collect, as well.

Looks like a winner!!

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 6, 13 2:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for their very excellent reviews! You've said what I'd like, so I'd just like to say: achievements, yay! LoL.

Also, the game's atmosphere and voice acting are quite good. I agree with some of the other reviewers that this game does feel a little "old fashioned" compared to what we've been receiving lately, but I don't mind it at all.

The artwork is a little dark, but not so bad that I can't see what's going on or I have to tilt my head all crazy to see things in the corners of hidden object scenes.

A game having collectibles and achievements and all of that jazz (in addition to being a fun game), makes me much more likely to purchase the CE (especially if it's already on sale)!

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Jan 6, 13 4:47 AM
I posted this earlier under reviews but had to say again that I'm really excited about some new games with new ideas. Seem to be new devs, well, keep it coming......

I'm so excited that we finally got a new CE worth buying from some " new" devs. I have not bought all the the other games that just recently came out from well known devs, my favorites included. They somehow lost the spark for me, creating games so fast like there is no tomorrow, therefore losing the quality, that they are known for.

This game has a good story, very clear , realistic, nice graphics and areas of interest kind a come out with a little glow once you hover over them. You need to combine objects here and there and also find golden horseshoes along the way.

This game is not too hard but objects can be small at times. You also earn achievements. Well woth the CE especially with todays special price.

I like the interaction with the towns people and ghosts. I hope we get more from these devs that I have not heard of yet. Like I said, a breath of fresh air, thank you.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Jan 6, 13 5:50 AM
I only ask for four thing in a CE - Strategy Guide, Bonus Chapter, Achievements/Trophies and Collectibles/Morphing Objects. This game appears to have SG, BC, Achievements and Collectibles. For me, without the last two I can wait for the SE (unless the BC is really good). This game plays well and I love the look of it, beautiful! Much better that the other Sleepy Hollow Headless Horseman game that came out a few years ago. Really enjoy the different HOGs and puzzles are not too hard, not too easy - just right (for me). And we have a sale on.....

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jan 6, 13 6:48 AM
I absolutely love this game! The music is haunting, the graphics are fantastic, the voiceovers, remarkable! I stopped 5 minutes in to buy, just couldn't help myself! I especially love the font that the Developers used in the game, nice and clear, just an absolute joy to play! Thanks so much, Developers and BFG! More like this please and if my memory serves me correctly, the Developers also brought to us Lost Souls Enchanted Paintings and Lamp of Aladdin which were both great games as well....Enjoy!

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jan 6, 13 7:04 AM
I beta tested this game and its not CE material. This is an old game made new.
With the sale I think its worth the purchase, without it I wouldn't have bought it. I would of waited for the SE...................but this week we had a lot of SE for CE lol.

If you haven't tried this yet do so.................HAPPY GAMING FISHIES

EDITED I don't know about everyone else, but I can't find the small items in the HO's(in a well lit room with the shades drawn) to dark and dismal..............Also some items don't look right ex a fly looks like a moth........................

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 9:27:01 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 6, 13 7:07 AM
I don't recall running cross this dev before, but I may have. Nice graphics (a bit fuzzy but passable) and game play. Music does not fit the scene and got boring very quickly. I do like the voice overs (always a plus for me), and they are done very well.

I prefer being able to choose the cursor I want to use, but this one is acceptable. The HOGs are a bit dark and some items are difficult to find, but I do like how they are set up. Also like the need to "combine" items to make something work or to get something else. Games were not difficult either.

This is not a new story, but one that I like. The game was fun. Not a huge amount of running back and forth. You would find a number of items in one location and use them in that location (I liked that).

Don't see that this is a really long game, but hard to tell because the SG stopped working after the first chapter. Even though I know the outcome of the story, I am going to purchase this one. This game did keep my attention and time went by very quickly. Not sure it is CE worthy, but figure I can't go wrong with the sale going on right now.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jan 6, 13 7:22 AM
For me a CE should have a map,morphing or collectibles, a good SG that clearly shows HOS and puzzle/mini game solutions and locations of the collectibles and a journal that holds all the clues needed in gameplay. I hate when a journal shows everything else but not the clue you need to solve a puzzle down the road.

Despite the fact that there is no map I still bought the game. I'm a little worried about the length though. I know there are 5 chapters but I was through chapter 1 and into chapter 2 when my trial ended. I hope the other chapters are longer.

I admit I was a little hesitant about this game when I first saw how small it was in MB size. Usually when that happens the game is not all that great. I was pleasantly surprised at the detail of the game and how well it played. I also liked how some of the play areas were presented. Instead of having to zoom into them a glowing outline appears when you curse over the area. Much more efficient than having to zoom in and out each time.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 6, 13 7:34 AM
Lasted about 1/2 hour in the demo with this one. I KNOW I've seen at least the intro to this before in another game. Is this a remake using old scenes? Good grief...what a slow game...must have to unlock a million doors. Tedious mini games and the HOS are even too cluttered and boring for me. Positives: the Hint and Skip refresh quickly otherwise you'd fall alseep hunting around...not for me even at a sale price. Apparently trying to build on the Sleepy Hollow Story starring Johnny Depp.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 6, 13 8:06 AM
I am enjoying playing this game even though I'm not particularly fond of hidden object scenes of which this game has quite a few. The graphics, music and voice-overs are done very well and make the game enjoyable to play.

I had a couple of problems with a puzzle not completing and the journal, but I found that it was "user/player-error" rather than a game problem.

A lot of detail has gone into making this a unique game. The menu page itself is interactive. If you mouse over the graves you will find some background info.

The voice-overs and music are outstanding for a hidden object, casual game. I was so glad to find that the voice acting continues throughout the game. Also, the font is of a type that is large and easy to read.

The difficulty of the hidden object scenes was about right for me. Some objects were well hidden, but not impossible to find, with a few interactive items. The puzzles I've encountered so far - chapter 3 - have been pretty easy which let's me enjoy the story instead of getting distracted by tedious, mind-boggling mouse manipulations.

There is no map, so you will need your sneakers to move back and forth a lot. This is a linear game along the lines of go find an object, go back and use it, go find a puzzle, etc. However, the developer designed it so that you usually don't have to backtrack more than a few scenes....3 or so.

Fun game to play and what I consider a story-driven game which is the best in my opinion. Now back to finding out if the headless horseman will ever be caught.....

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 6, 13 8:25 AM
Humm, I have to agree with other members that mention this game to be a "Dejavu", but for me was the "The bronze horseman" CE, a game I truly enjoyed.

I also agree that is like Deep movie, I kind of see a resemblancece in the game main character but it could just be me.

Still, the game have nice graphics and even when the plot is very familiar is a game full of twists and mystery.

I like the game and is a buy for me.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 6, 13 9:24 AM
Love this game from some FENOMENal devs. The graphics are amazing! Some have stated that the game is "old style." I did not see this at all. Considering that all CE's are discounted this weekend, I will purchase. Being from the Ohio., I love the story of Sleepy Hollow. Yes, it takes place in New York, but the imagery is similar to Ohio. And yes, there is some resemblance to Johnny Depp, and although he is not a hearthrob of mine, I do love his humor. A definite purchase for me. Why is it that BF always brings out the best games when I am the busiest??? Good job devs. By the way, they are not new to BF. They have had games on this site before. They are fairly established gaming company. However, there may be a few more HOGs that I like, it is still a great game!

Go to: