Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Anyone else from Sleepy Hollow?

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jan 6, 13 7:27 AM
I grew up in Sleepy Hollow, NY. Used to be called North Tarrytown, but the name was changed to Sleepy Hollow some years ago.

The area is steeped in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow lore. High school has been Sleepy Hollow High for as long as I know. Washington Irving Junior High School overlooks the Hudson River. Football team was, and probably still is, called the Headless Horsemen.

For some years (still?), people gathered around Washington Irving's grave at Halloween for a seance. Unfortunately, never with hoped for results. The grave is in the cemetery near the Old Dutch Church. The church and its small cemetery were featured in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

I moved away after college but family is still there, so I get to 'go home' every so often.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow always holds a spot in my heart, so buying this game is a definite.

Just wondering if anyone else in the pond is from Sleepy Hollow?

Jorie

Edited to add:
Thanks for the responses!

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 1:24:10 PM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

Re:Anyone else from Sleepy Hollow?

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 6, 13 7:54 AM
Wow, that is just too cool,thanks for sharing.

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Jan 6, 13 8:55 AM
Not from there, but I live 20 minutes away. Amazing place - especially around Halloween!

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Jan 6, 13 8:55 AM
Yes, thanks for sharing. I love this story, have done since I was very young, too young really but I always like to be creeped out a bit!

I never even considered it could be a real place.

Not the same at all, but I used to live in Lover. It's pronounced L-O-ver, but people used to come from all over on Valentines day to use the local post office and get Lover stamped on their sweethearts cards.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 8:56:49 AM PST

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Jan 6, 13 8:58 AM
Maybe some day, and if Lady Luck is feeling generous, I may be able to go to Sleepy Hollow. I would like it so much! Washington Irving has been a loyal friend of mine and I have spent such good times with him!

Debnfla
Herring
Herring
336 Posts

[Post New]by Debnfla on Jan 6, 13 9:06 AM
I agree...way too cool!

Deb

JoBee1215
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoBee1215 on Jan 6, 13 10:08 AM
Not quite from Sleepy Hollow but close (little village called Gramhamsville - GO BEARS) Next time I get back will have to revisit Sleepy Hollow.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jan 6, 13 12:09 PM
I didn't live there, but we had relatives who lived in Pleasantville and when we went to visit them we used to get off the Thruway at Tarrytown and take the back roads through Sleepy Hollow and Pocantico Hills to get there. I loved that area.

mcscooby
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by mcscooby on Jan 6, 13 12:45 PM
Bought the game - and love it! Having you share your memories makes it even more enjoyable! Thanks for sharing with us!

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Jan 6, 13 1:11 PM
Hi, all -- I live about 35 miles north of Sleepy Hollow on the west bank of the Hudson River; Sleepy Hollow is on the east bank. I love games that are based on history and the Hudson Valley and New England have of course so much history because of the great authors who wrote about it. How about games that feature the works of James Fenimore Cooper, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Louisa May Alcott, just to mention a few?

DK

hpottermad
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,199 Posts

[Post New]by hpottermad on Jan 6, 13 1:50 PM
Wow, so cool, thanks for sharing your memories and I bet that would be great to visit particularly at Halloween.

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Jan 6, 13 2:00 PM
I didn't know there was a real Sleepy Hollow!

As kids we had a favorite sledding hill we used to go to - it was at the edge of local golf course and was sort of a bowl-shaped area, so you could sled all sides. At the bottom was always an iced over puddle of water that was never quite frozen - you either had to sled fast to skim it or stop yourself before you got to it or you'd get wet. One day we were out after dark sledding and some neighbor not far away got mad at us kids - he'd yelled at us before but this time he apparently decided a trick would be better. He came at us all bundled up and his collar drawn up - no head that we could see - and arms over his head laughing maniacally. Well, he sent 15 - 20 kids running in blind panic back to our homes - we had to cross about a half mile of golf course to get back home too! After that we called the sledding hill "Sleepy Hollow" - and we NEVER went there after dark again.

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jan 6, 13 2:17 PM
Jofer wrote:I didn't know there was a real Sleepy Hollow!

As kids we had a favorite sledding hill we used to go to - it was at the edge of local golf course and was sort of a bowl-shaped area, so you could sled all sides. At the bottom was always an iced over puddle of water that was never quite frozen - you either had to sled fast to skim it or stop yourself before you got to it or you'd get wet. One day we were out after dark sledding and some neighbor not far away got mad at us kids - he'd yelled at us before but this time he apparently decided a trick would be better. He came at us all bundled up and his collar drawn up - no head that we could see - and arms over his head laughing maniacally. Well, he sent 15 - 20 kids running in blind panic back to our homes - we had to cross about a half mile of golf course to get back home too! After that we called the sledding hill "Sleepy Hollow" - and we NEVER went there after dark again.

Thanks for sharing your childhood memory, Jofer. I'm not sure I ever would have gone sledding there again -- even in daylight! I'm sure that man had a great chuckle after scaring all you children.

[Post New]by Firthheart on Jan 6, 13 5:23 PM
Jorie,

Not from Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown, but I have an 18th-century ancestor from there--Isaac Van Wart (great Dutch name, right?), who was one of the men who captured Major Andre with the plans to West Point. There's some debate about whether they were robbers, patriots, or faction fighters, but there's a memorial to them in the town. Sleepy Hollow is still a cool place, especially in the Fall, and when I was there last, the football team is still The Horsemen with a headless horseman logo. I envy your being able to visit frequently--the Hudson Valley is one of the most beautiful on earth!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jan 6, 13 5:46 PM
I used to live in Grahamsville and later in Kerhonkson! I love, love, love that area of NY and if it weren't for the harsh winters I'd move back there. Gorgeous territory.

And of course I grew up knowing about the Headless Horseman. ;}

Go to: