Comments Section, when you just don't feel like doing a review.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 6, 13 7:59 AM
How many times have we seen the opening scene with a disabled vehicle of some sort and a gate?! And how many times have we looked inside a stage coach only to find that same purple hat?! Why do they always destroy my bridge?! They wouldn't let me access chapter 2 in the SG. There are about 5 chapters and a bonus chapter. There is a list for Golden Horseshoes that you could not see and there was no end to the demo for me, anyway, I could not get anywhere, no inventory items and no way to find any. I may have missed something I'm sure. Despite the ho-hum beginning, I will buy it because I enjoy collecting that little something extra. I intend to enjoy it! Don't disappoint me Fenomen.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

Re:Comments Section, when you just don't feel like doing a review.

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Jan 6, 13 8:24 AM
This is not a comment, but a kind of request. The first one who finishes this game could PM me or post, telling if the game finishes logically? I intend to wait for the SE, but if the CE's ending does not make any sense, probably the SE's will be a disaster, as it has happened (to me) before.

Hope I'm making sense.

basiakosia
Minnow
Minnow
277 Posts

[Post New]by basiakosia on Jan 6, 13 12:42 PM
For anyone who is interested, according to the web site of all about casual games (can't remember if I"m allowed to name that; it'll be removed if I can't ) this game is from the group that did Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings.

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Jan 6, 13 12:49 PM
I wasn't very impressed with this game - especially the click penalty I encountered. That's an immediate turnoff for me. The game doesn't seem to be CE material though - no map, no collectibles or morphing objects (that I saw) and seemed rather easy. Except for the HOG scenes which had some blended/ tone on tone style hidden objects - which is how I encountered the click penalty. Three wrong clicks and it froze me up with a "Don't even try to guess" warning. Excuse me? I wasn't even clicking fast - took me over a minute to make those 3 wrong clicks in a row - I was really searching! I'll make an educated guess if I want to - it's MY game! If you don't want me guessing, don't make dark scenes with blended in objects. Sheesh.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 6, 13 1:13 PM
Euskalduna wrote:This is not a comment, but a kind of request. The first one who finishes this game could PM me or post, telling if the game finishes logically? I intend to wait for the SE, but if the CE's ending does not make any sense, probably the SE's will be a disaster, as it has happened (to me) before.

Hope I'm making sense.

The regular part of the game ended logically. You can play the SE and feel that you have finished the game. The Bonus Chapter is just that....extra scenes and more gameplay continuing the story a bit if you want more. It took me about 90 min which is pretty good for bonus play.

I did find the hardest, most enjoyable, puzzle in the bonus chapter.

Spoiler..highlight to read. It was a jigsaw type puzzle that didn't outline and tell me where to place the pieces. I wish the stained glass puzzle had been more like that.

This game does do one thing that I find very annoying. When a 2nd H0 scene appears in the same place, the items I collected the first time around are back. What? I cleaned them out once and they should be gone when I come back to that same scene.

This is often done in games...probably because it is easier, but I applaud the developers who recognize that an item has been removed and should not magically reappear the next time I visit that same scene.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 1:42:20 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 6, 13 2:05 PM
mcurty wrote:
Euskalduna wrote:This is not a comment, but a kind of request. The first one who finishes this game could PM me or post, telling if the game finishes logically? I intend to wait for the SE, but if the CE's ending does not make any sense, probably the SE's will be a disaster, as it has happened (to me) before.

Hope I'm making sense.

The regular part of the game ended logically. You can play the SE and feel that you have finished the game. The Bonus Chapter is just that....extra scenes and more gameplay continuing the story a bit if you want more. It took me about 90 min which is pretty good for bonus play.

I just finished the main game - will play the bonus game tomorrow - and the end of the main game was half ended and half not ended.

SPOILER ALERT

At the end of the main game the constable tells the woman who caused all the problems: "I will take care of you in a moment. First I have to give the you-know-who his head back." And that is how the main game ends: the constable gives the headless horseman his head back, and that's where it ends. You do not see him go back to the woman and deal with her. So I am assuming that will be done in the bonus game.

END OF SPOILER ALERT

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Jan 6, 13 6:22 PM
Thank you, mcurtv and Valdy. I liked the first Sleepy Hollow game, and I am a fan of this kind of game, but still very much undecided about CE vs. SE. Probably will be the SE, as it seems, by the comments, that the game is easy and I never, but never, get all the achievements in any game.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jan 6, 13 8:15 PM
I agree with heatherington that we've seen that opening a bazillion times now. We got a drive-by setup with no details - a wedding, a will, get to work. Maybe you had to have seen the movie to get the whole story.

There was absolutely nothing new here, in the demo at least: same gears puzzle with a directional variation, very easy to complete; a Simon-type game with one duplicated sequence of notes; and very simple sliding tile puzzle. Cluttered HO scenes with objects from the wrong time periods - in fact, I thought this story began in 1799, but one puzzle had a gramophone - history wasn't my strong subject in school but I'm pretty sure there were no vinyl records in 1799. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ichabod Crane looked just like Johnny Depp, and a few of the characters looked like real people (those who still had heads, anyway) but there was no character development at all. There was a pretty gross scene near the end of the demo - no blood or gore, but gross all the same. This game is not for little kids!

Anyway, nothing new or intriguing or exciting here that would convince me to buy the game. I'll pass on this one.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 8:16:18 PM PST

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Jan 7, 13 7:06 AM
This may be just me but I wish the CE's developers would consider not having the bonus extras be wallpapers, music, etc. How many people use those anyway? Maybe on your first or second CE but if I downloaded all the wall papers, etc. from EVERY CE I have, I would fill up all of my space. I would rather have a few more chapters and a longer bonus. This game has 5 chapters and a bonus (a short one) but it only took me about 4 hours to finish...and I am NO speed demon. I even stopped to eat dinner and really look at the graphics etc. I pay for a game, not all the stuff that I will never use...especially on CE's where the graphics or music is not something special. Oh well....now I have vented and will be off to the post office to buy forever stamps before the rates go up the 21st.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jan 7, 13 10:01 AM
Not my cup of tea. The best part about this game for me was the voiceovers.So many games have "over-the-top" acting. The music actually lulled me to sleep. Graphics would have probably seemed nice 5 years ago, but certainly not good today. This is definitely not CE quality. Finding horseshoes does not qualify it for the honor. In the first HO scene, one item was marked as a different color, requiring that extra step. But I discovered after thoroughly searching for that last object on the list, getting "yelled at" for guessing, then finally in desparation using a hint, that elusive item also required that extra step. I also expect to have 3 levels of difficulty, as the quality developers have. Easy has too many sparkles, but I'm not an expert either. Mystery Legends Sleepy Hollow, a striaght HOG was better. Even at the sale price, I wouldn't buy it. Guess I'll go replay something I haven't played in awhile and hope for something better this week.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 7, 13 12:10 PM
Actually... forget about what I said in my last post. The bonus game is NOT following on from where it ended.

And the bonus game was mercyfully short, because it was just a "huh, what's going on here? kind of game.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jan 8, 13 8:20 AM
I bought this game because I thought it looked interesting. I didn't realize the HOs were one of the worst I've ever played. There was NO way to find allot of the objects because they were so small or half hidden behind stuff. Some of them were the same color as what they were on so that was one thing I hated about the game. Other than the one million hated HOs the game was pretty good. I don't think it was worth the CE price either.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 13 11:28 AM
I too found a lot of the HOS incredibly sneakily put. I remember there was an axe or something like that to be found, and all you saw was the handle - a long stick, that could have been anything.

I also found quite a few objects names wrongly. I was supposed to look for a vase, but it was an urn I had to click on. Now, an urn is not a vase.

Another thing I didn't care for was the amount of HOS I tripped over on my way to the end of the story. It got worse the further into the game I got. A shame really. I love the HOS, but I don't like them to appear without much of a break.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jan 8, 13 2:38 PM
Yawnnnning.....don't feel this is worth CE price.. ...to easy for me, sorry

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Jan 8, 13 3:41 PM
Not really a bad game but could have been a lot better. First of all, that click penalty - I own the game, I am trying to find a very well hidden object, and you tell me not to? I also found out (the hard way) that the golden horseshoes you collect are also in the HO scenes, so if you miss them you cannot go back and get them! Wish I had known that at the beginning............otherwise a fairly easy game, apparently based on the movie not the book (!), even thought the movie was based on the book to begin with - huh? If this had not been on sale I would have waited for the SE, the bonus was a decent length but not really challenging. Not even sure if there is a replay value in it, and I cannot understand why the HO scenes are the same both times you visit them, you would think that at least the object you collected the first time would be gone on the second visit even if everything else is the same. Just laziness on the part of the developers - did you think we would not notice?

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 8, 13 10:43 PM
Does anyone remember hearing the music in this game elsewhere? It really reminds me of The Crop Circles Mystery music, which is one of my all time" just for fun games". I've played it many times and always leave the music on( which I usually don't do for other games) because it fits the game so well. Maybe I'll download it again and see if it IS the same music!

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jan 9, 13 5:59 AM
I have to agree with Caseymom here - CE "bonus" stuff means nothing to me. I want the CE to give me an extra game-playing experience that lasts at least an extra few hours for my double money/2 credits, and forget about pointless fluff. At the end of each CE game I've ever played, I just delete it and it's gone. I'm not interested in trophies or wallpaper (wallpaper? really?) or a tour of deleted scenes ("haha, you don't get to play these, something else you paid for and don't get"). The music is usually forgettable or so annoying I never want to hear it again. The one and only time I heard memorable music, I checked the credits, looked up the music on Youtube, and clicked it to my Favourites so I have the video. Wallpapers and music are not value for my
money.

Ann_L
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by Ann_L on Jan 9, 13 8:20 AM
Is this game related in any way/from the same people who made Mystery Legends: Sleepy Hollow? I've been waiting for a sequel to that one it seems like FOREVER!

Thanks

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 9, 13 8:51 AM
This is different developer than the one who made the Mystery Legends series.

Ann_L
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by Ann_L on Jan 10, 13 4:35 AM
mcurty wrote:This is different developer than the one who made the Mystery Legends series.

Thanks! Just have to keep waiting for that sequel!

Go to: