chaka4
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Still stuck in Sogdian - at the rock

[Post New]by chaka4 on Jan 6, 13 10:16 AM
Hi everyone,

Well, I purchased this game AFTER the "fixed" version and I am stuck at the rock. I FINALLY was able to finish India after opening and closing the game a couple times. But I cannot move forward at Sogdian.

Can someone please tell me where to find the hint for the rock puzzle?

Thanks,
Julie

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

Re:Still stuck in Sogdian - at the rock

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jan 6, 13 5:09 PM
What have you already done? Have you opened both doors in the left cave, the door on the right cave, and gone into the past on the right scene?

If you're talking about the puzzle with the letter tiles, the hint is the room behind the right door in the left cave.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 5:10:59 PM PST

chaka4
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by chaka4 on Jan 7, 13 8:10 PM
HI GMMan!

There is the left corridor, which is open and the right one, which is sealed with that puzzle with the dots and the arc shaped pieces. I’ve gone into the left corridor, conversed with the girl trapped behind the left door, got the stuff back from her and that is all I can do with that door. It doesn’t open fully.

I entered the right side (Throne room) with that hexagon shaped thing and the runes/letters. I took the picture and did everything else that I could do there. When I click on the hint button, it tells me there is nothing left to do there at the moment and try another location. I get the same response when I am in the main (left) corridor.

So that leaves the sealed door of the right corridor. I was able to click on those arc shaped pieces and moved them a few times and then it didn’t allow me to move them anymore. Now it just tells me I need a hint.

I currently have a sliver disk with holes in it (sort of looks like a hubcap!) and the hexagon key thing with the runes on it. It will not let me use either of those items on the door. I also have a pick axe and a boat hook.

There was no “past vision” cut scene that I encountered at this location
FYI: I was also having trouble with going from India to Sogdian for a while. It kept telling me I couldn’t leave the current location. But When I closed it and then restarted the game, it would let me travel again. So I’m wondering if this is a technical glitch or I just missed something along the way

Unless I missed something along the way, I have no idea what to do next. I’m stuck! Any help would be most appreciated. I really like this game and it would be a shame if I can’t finish it.
Thanks! : )

Edited on 01/07/2013 at 8:11:35 PM PST

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jan 8, 13 7:19 AM
On the left wall of the throne room is a puzzle with three buttons and wheels. The hint is behind that puzzle.

chaka4
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by chaka4 on Jan 8, 13 8:52 PM
Hi GMMan,

Unfortunately the game does not let me click on anything else in the the Throne room and it will not let me "arrow" over further to the left. So it must be a glitch then. The only thing I can see in the throne room is that Hexagon thingy with the domino looking type buttons at it's base. Only two are visable as there is some sort of rock in the way of the middle lower part. I cannot click on that at all. Nothing happens.

I heard there is a collector's version available on some other sites. I may purchase that and see if that works better.

Thanks for your help though. I really appreciate it!

: )

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jan 8, 13 11:26 PM
The hexagon thingy is exactly what you need for the hint. It's unfortunate you can't progress any further. Note that purchasing the Collector's Edition will not change your situation in any way, as the current build actually includes the collector's edition, but is missing a single flag to activate it, so it will still be using the same game saves even if you install a new copy. I can look at what part of the game save can be modified to allow you to continue, some other time.

Update: I don't know if this will work, but give it a try. Doing this will overwrite any progress past starting Sogdian Rock, so be sure you back up your old save first.

1. Press Windows-R (Windows being the Windows key beside the left Alt on your keyboard).
2. Type in "%appdata%\AlexanderTheGreat\Profiles" (without quotes) and hit Enter.
3. You'll see a bunch of folders with numbers for names.Those are the player profiles. If you're the only player, open the only folder in that folder. Otherwise, open the folder with the number that approximately matches the the number of times profiles were created when you created your profile. You can open that folder and open settings.cfg in a text editor (open Notepad and drag the file in there) to check it is really your profile.
4. If you haven't opened the settings.cfg file in your profile, do so now. See the last sentence of the previous step. This time, on the line that says "ProgressCode", delete everything between the equal sign and semicolon so you're only left with "ProgressCode=;" (no quotes). Save file.
5. Make a copy of your current save by clicking on it (once, to select it), then pressing Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.
6. Go into the folder you want to restore progress from (in your case, Save_SogdianRock). Select all files, copy, and go back one level. Open the autosave folder, and paste, overwriting all files.
7. Try the game again now. You game should be like when you just arrived at the location you restored from for the first time.

Technical details: This game makes multiple editions of its game saves. It's to allow the (currently flawed) replay system to work, by loading the state of the game when you've just arrived at the location. You can overwrite the regular save with the additional save to "roll back" the save game to a previous time.

Edited on 01/09/2013 at 12:16:42 AM PST

chaka4
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by chaka4 on Jan 10, 13 7:50 PM
Hi GMMan,

Wow! I don't know if I'm that tech savy! I will print out your instructions and if I get a chance to do so this weekend, I might give it a go. I really appreciate your expertise. That was really nice of you to type that all out for me.

If I suceed, I will let you know. If I don't....I may be too embarrased to say so! LOL!

chaka4
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by chaka4 on Jan 13, 13 7:19 PM
Hi GMMan,

Well, I followed your directions and was able to restart the entire Sogdian location. Unfortunately I experienced the same issue. I completed the puzzle in the throne room, took the picture of the hint, but when I got to the hexigon puzzle to remove the seal at the right corridor, the hint would not display and after clicking on each arced piece, the character voice over just said that "l need a hint if I am going to solve this". and then I couldn't move any pieces after that. So the issue is that the hint is not being recognized when activating the puzzle.

I ended up uninstalling (including game profiles and saves) and I'm reinstalling again. Maybe that will help. I sure hope so, as I really want to finish this game.

Oh, and I did get the collector's version from a different game site. But like you said, it didn't make any difference. If I can't move past Sogdian, then the extra location of Alexandria will be moot!

Thanks again for your help. I will let you know if the reinstall worked...

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jan 13, 13 9:55 PM
Actually, after you get the hint for the hexagon puzzle, if you used your hexagon piece on the hatch to the right of the two outer doors, you would have opened a new location, where you can find the solution for the arced lock puzzle.

I recommend you continue using the BFG version, as it is the latest build I have been able to find, and probably has more bugs fixed than your other version. To get your Collector's Edition content activated, have the other copy installed, and open each version's game folder. Go into each version's "bin" folder. Compare what file is missing from the BFG version, and copy the missing file from your other version (hint: it starts with a "z"). After you start the BFG version and you will see a new menu background and various indications that you are playing the Collector's Edition.

Sidenote: The build from the original publisher of this game is very old (as in September old).

ckristi88
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by ckristi88 on Jan 14, 13 12:34 PM
I got the hexagon from the throne room...what do you do with it? I tried using it on the door I uncovered using the pick ax but it says it "does not help here". If that's the hint I need...how do I use it?

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jan 14, 13 1:24 PM
Use it on the hatch on the far right outside the cave. Make sure you also have the hint from the throne room.

chaka4
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by chaka4 on Jan 19, 13 3:52 PM
Hi GMMan,

I was able to convert the BF version to the CE like you instructed and I started the game over again. I was FINALLY able to scroll over to the far right at Sodgian rock, so now I know what you were talking about the hexagon puzzle.

So I finished the entire game. Thanks so much for all your help. I learned some new tricks, thanks to you!

Go to: