festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Zenerchi tips -- please add your own to this discussion

[Post New]by festclick on Jan 7, 13 7:59 AM
Some of these may have appeared elsewhere in the forum, but there is no single discussion so I'm putting them here for easy reference.

1. When you match 3 or more of one colour (say it's red), it DOESN'T help fill up the red colour in the centre unless your block of red is above the section of the centre that is red. This is the answer to "What does it mean fill up the centre colours?”.

2. You fill up much more colour with a block of 5 than 3, and get much more score, so try to do that when you can. You can if 5 adjacent rings have some of that colour. Make sure you move away any of that colour that would make a 3 block before your 5 is ready. Of course, you have to make blocks of 2 with another colour in the middle, and then fill in your block of 5. Don't forget to make sure the block is over the right colour centre. If not, just rotate it until it is. All this takes a bit more time but is well worth it because it greatly improves your score and gets you much closer to finishing.

3. I usually remove blockers with 3 blocks of the same colour, working from the outside down to the centre, but search further down if I run out of the right colour in one of the adjacent rings to the blocker. If you leave an outside blocker and match in that block you'll have a gap without colours which will take time to fill. Okay, sometimes you can use that gap to drop down a colour you need if there is a blocker at the bottom of the gap, but otherwise it can slow you down. Once all the blockers are gone, I make 5 blocks above the centre colours, now there is room to move 5 adjacent rings anywhere, to fill up the colours and finish quickly. I usually avoid using the bombs unless one can get rid of a couple of blockers or solve a problem with rings lacking a colour I need. I admit there can be many different strategies but I've used this on many worlds to get all expert scores.

4. Rings that lack a colour you need. If you only need it for a 5 block to help fill the centres, just go for 3 or 4 blocks if you can make progress that way. But if you need it for a blocker, or can't make progress, then you have to make the appropriate colour from a higher ring drop down onto the blocker, which means getting the colour into the block and then filling in a block in between all of some different colour so it drops down as needed. This can take some time to work out. Of course, you need to use for the block a colour that does occur in the ring that lacks the blocker colour.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:Zenerchi tips -- please add your own to this discussion

[Post New]by festclick on Jan 7, 13 10:10 AM
5. as well as a colour match not filling in a centre colour if it is not “above” that colour central section (hub), it also doesn't work if there is a blocker in that block further down. You at least need to get rid of blockers in one block above each hub before trying to fill in all the colours. It helps if you can remove blockers from 5 adjacent rings so you can do 5 matches.

I'm happy to admit to being stuck on 5-2. With the above ideas I got expert scores on all levels before that one. It is different in that the new colours move out from the centre instead of in from the outside. So obviously new methods are needed to get further and I'd appreciate it if anyone who's got further would share. I'll post myself if I figure it out. My existing method is way too slow.

Edited on 01/07/2013 at 10:17:57 AM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Jan 9, 13 6:26 AM
6. Matches of 5 create special pieces called "bursts”. Double-clicking a burst makes it “blow up” destroying itself and several other pieces. Which type of burst is created may be random or depend on the level. All types are described in the help section if you click through and read it all. The simplest kind is a small burst which destroys the 4 adjacent pieces. If you can arrange for 2 or more of these to be blockers, you have cleared them faster than you could with 3 matches. To make sure your burst is in the right place, you either carefully create it in the right place or exploit the movement of pieces after a match gap to move it. Generally the burst will be created close to the centre, so to move it out you'd need the pieces to come on from the centre moving out. A gap in a ring can then be rotated above a block that has no blocker further in to make the pieces all move up one place, so you just need to rotate your burst into such a block first.

7. Blockers not only stop rings from rotating and block your matches from filling up the centre, they also prevent new pieces entering the puzzle after a match creates a gap. If pieces come on from the outside, a blocker in the outermost ring would stop them, and contrariwise if they come on from the centre. When this happens, the gap created by the match does not fill up with new pieces. Such gaps can be exploited to drop in pieces from rings further out. This can be very useful. Also, gaps can be used to move new pieces in or out, depending on which way the new pieces come on, in a controlled way.

Edited on 01/14/2013 at 2:15:40 AM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Jan 9, 13 6:27 AM
8. Early bursts. In some levels, it is difficult to avoid running out of time if you just clear all or most blockers with 3 matches. You need to find ways of making bursts very early and exploding them to destroy several blockers quickly. A good example is level 5-2. Here the new pieces come on from the centre moving out. Number rings from the centre out. Rings 2, 4, 6, 7 are free (meaning they have no blockers in so they can be rotated). You don't have to clear lots of blockers to create a burst. The trick is, you need the centre ring of the 5 match to rotate to put the last piece (say green) into position. But not all the other 4 rings in the 5 match need to be free. If you have a gap all the way in to a ring 1 blocker, you can just drop in green pieces from the free outer levels. Drop in or rotate 2 greens and some other colour to prevent a premature 3 match. Then drop in or rotate 2 more greens. Finally rotate ring 4 to complete the match. This only works if you had green in ring 4 and outer rings, so choose a colour that works at the time. I call this a drop burst. By leaving the blocker in place in ring 1, you make sure that the gap stays open so you may be able to make a few more bursts before you run out of pieces.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Jan 9, 13 2:30 PM
9. A 3 match including a colour blocker changes the look of the blocker, but another 3 match is needed to destroy it. However, a single 4 match will destroy it immediately. So you can save a bit of time by using 4 matches when you can. Also, include more than one of the same colour blocker in a match when you can to save time.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Jan 14, 13 2:14 AM
10. Repeat patterns. At the start of a level there may be repeating patterns of colours. For example, if you make a 4 match of one colour including a colour blocker to destroy it, several other 4 matches including colour blockers may line up at the same time. This makes a lot of progress quickly and is very important on the more difficult levels.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Mar 2, 14 2:59 PM
I have a few other tips:

-When the board first loads, it flashes an arrow pattern. If the arrows are pointing upwards, new pieces flow from the center of the puzzle. If the arrows are pointing downwards, new pieces flow from the top of the puzzle. For some reason I'd never noticed that until today!

-To add to festclick's tip #9: In some of the later levels the blockers get super reinforced and may take several M5s before they go away altogether. It's best to look for M4 and M5 patterns instead of M3s in the second half of the game.

-If you are trying to fill a color cylinder but the tiles aren't in the correct rings for a match, using a column burst sends all the tiles in the column to that cylinder. For instance lining up three red tiles in a column over the red cylinder and using a column burst in that column will typically work as well as making an M5.

-There are no horizontal matches in Zenerchi, only vertical (within one column) ones. However, using a ring burst sends all the tiles in that ring to the cylinders those tiles were sitting over, so can help you fill cylinders if you can arrange color tiles to be sitting over the cylinders of those colors.

-The comment about "be careful to place your pieces before using" with color bursts refers to when the color burst removes all the tiles of that color, only the tiles that are sitting over the cylinder of that color will count towards filling the cylinder. However, removing all of one color from the playfield often reshuffles the other colors around enough to help you make M5s somewhere, so even if you don't get much filling of a cylinder(s) from using a color burst it can help you indirectly by making it easier to get more bursts later.

-Change bursts have no effect on gray blockers.

Go to: