bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 10, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

 
bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 10, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

 
CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jan 10, 13 1:21 AM
Played almost half of the demo and already love it! These Dark Tales are among my favorites! Now to find the extra money to buy the CE so I don't have to wait for the SE! (Or for two credits to come in.)

Love everything about this one - the mini-game within the hidden object scene is fun. And the dog is wonderful. Trust me, this is a great game!!

CelticCoco

 
sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jan 10, 13 1:21 AM
Well Gaye he is finally here! Sexy Dupin is in De House! Yahoo. I have been waiting a while for this game and the Bunny team pulled off a dang good game. Awesome the way they started off with Dupin. Great eye candy for the start. [Removed by Moderator]

Story: Dupin and you are going to find a lost treasure some hundreds of years ago for Mr. Legrand. You and Dupin aren't the only ones after the treasure as a masked villain is also after the same thing. But Dupin is smart and witty and will foil this masked thorn in the side.

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous. I stop every now and then just to look.

Music: Beautifully done. Fits perfectly with the game.

Mini games: Perfectly challenging but now hair pulling, truly enjoy them

Hint System: Honestly don't know. I don't use them in H0GS and very rarely for it to tell me where to go.

Now off on my adventure with our man Dupin and see if he can get this villain under arrest. But hey, this is Dupin after all. It's like a walk in the park for him Kudos team to a job well done!

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 1:43:33 AM PST


 
shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jan 10, 13 1:54 AM
Well -- if you have played the others in this series, this one will feel familiar, but to be fair, it does seem to be quite accomplished. To the uninitiated, the artwork is quite striking (in that foggy ERS manner), the music fits the scene, the widescreen presentation is fully voiced, Dupin looks quite well, and he seems very glad you have come along, treating you as an almost equal partner in the investigation.

3 modes of play -- the hardest has long hint and skip recharge, sparkles for HO scenes, but no black bar info -- in this case it is almost true except for a bit of dialogue. In the time I played, puzzles and tasks far outnumbered HO scenes -- the one HO scene I encountered had you finding silhouettes and a lot of interactivity to complete it. Nothing too difficult, but certainly a lot to do.

The game has 7 chapters and a bonus chapter. Tons of extras -- music, concept art, screen savers (that actually work this time), wallpapers of scenes and also eight 2013 thematic calendar wall papers, extra puzzles, replay HO scenes, and the strategy guide. There are no morphing or theme objects to find and no achievements.

You meet and talk with several characters, and you have an additional helpful companion sniffing out clues. Your investigation is at the bequest of Mr. LeGrand who is convinced he has discovered the secret to Captain Kidd's lost treasure. There is a villain in your midst, apparently after Mr. LeGrand's prized findings.

So, this game should keep anyone pleasantly busy for a while -- it is ERS, but it is an improved version of another Dark Tale.

 
cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 10, 13 2:23 AM
This game is #4 in the series of games based on the works of Edgar A. Poe (Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Black Cat, and The Premature Burial being the first three). And, of course, no one likes a series more than ers. But this one is a huge step back from the other 3----a shame, really, because I enjoyed all 3 of the others very much. But this one would have Poe shaking his head with embarrassment. Now before I go on, I should point out that this particular title is the weakest of the 4 Poe stories, and probably simply doesn't lend itself too well to a game like this----so it's not entirely the fault of ers, just mostly.

The story is an absolute square-eyed bore. As a piece of "detective fiction" written for an audience of 1850 readers, ers is simply unable to make anything out of it except a mish-mash of grinding out searches, solve overly simple puzzles, and try to make sense of some of the most nonsensical HOS they've come up with yet. And they make you play the same HOS at least twice! The whole thing is a silly, pointless mess.

As usual now (unfortunately) with ers, the graphics are foggy, and lack the sharpness they had in their "glory days"

The voice-overs are just average.

And the game offers something called "custom widescreen" which presents borders that are gruesomely ugly and distracting while keeping the game within their confines. That's now at least 2 games that ers has done this with. And while I suppose that's an improvement over the black bar presentation, it is not a widescreen presentation. But it does prove beyond doubt that if ers wanted to address this problem (as all astute developers do), they could.

So, a giant step backwards has been taken by ers on this game. At least next time they could choose a more interesting story than "The Gold Bug" (given the big selection of E.A. Poe stories). But not only did they select a boring story to begin with, they made it worse with this half-hearted effort. No buy here, not even as an SE. Maybe 1 out of 5 stars. (But all 3 of the others in this series are very good games----so if you do buy this one, be sure to think about taking advantage of the sale price on those. And I'm not on the "ers rocks!!!, ers is in the house!!, ers has done it again!!" bandwagon at all----those 3 are simply good games. But not this one.)


 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 10, 13 2:28 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers. So... beware.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is WIDESCREEN !! Although the play area is still only full screen, the borders on either side are colourfully done - a vast improvement to the non-existing widescreen. When I ticked "widescreen" the "custom widescreen" box automatically was ticked as well.

Your Diary is at the left.

Also at the left is the SG (strategy guide). It only shows the first 2 chapters in the demo).

Your Hint button, in form of an hourglass, is at the right.

Next to the Hint button is a silhouette of a dog. Shortly into the game, it will be filled with a cuddly-looking dog, that will help you from time to time.

I adore the puzzles I have played so far. Hardcore HOG fans will find them too easy I am sure. I love easy, and these ones were FUN !!

The Skip button only took about 30 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

The one HOS (hidden object scene) I came across was GREAT FUN as well. It's one of those where you search by silhouettes, and which are highly interactive. Can't get enough of those.

I only used the Hint button once outside of a HOS (to see how well it works), and it was an instant refill, I believe. If used in the HOS, I am sure it won't take more than 30 seconds in Casual mode. But can't swear to it. Haven't used it yet in there.

--- --- ---

I swore off CEs, but I just love this game. It's easy, it's comfortable to play, i.e. I don't get stuck at every corner, it's colourful, it has fun puzzles and HOS, and ERS has made an effort to add those nice-looking borders at either side, which I like much more than the black bars.

So, what I am trying to say is: it's a buy for me.

 
gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jan 10, 13 2:35 AM
Good morning all Shut the front door Dupin is HOT ! Warning ladies if you have a weak heart, subject to hot flashes, or feel the need to run out to Victoria's Secrets and buy a sexy nighty to play this game or the need to go out and commit a crime then you have been struck by the sexy detective and let me tell you he's worth breaking the law for especially if he's the arresting officer and who wouldn't want to work undercover with this hottie ! If he was my boss I would create cases just so we could work some overtime. God Bless the artist at ERS who drew and created this character now if I could only figure out a way for them to create me a life size real version of this man I would be in business. He is one huge piece of eye candy ladies let me tell you and he's worth buying the game for just to get a glimpse and hear that voice oh yeah it's that good !

Woo-Hoo ERS brings in the new year with a total BANG ! This game is gorgeous the art work and scenery is really something to see and yes Dupin is a part of the scenery. It has everything that a ce is suppose to have. Great story, great music, cool puzzles and lots of cool extras.

The hidden scenes are very interactive and so far they have been in silhouette and list. The puzzles I've come across so far are really cool not too hard but fun and I like them like that. The graphics are gorgeous as always with ERS and this one seems to be more of a who done it no ghost, ghouls, goblins or witches. The guy your after is wearing a mask and seems to be rather skiddish so I'm wondering if he's the real bad guy or if it's the man that has called for Dupin this dude is over the top obsessed with this gold bug and just a bit shady if you ask me. You also have a helper with this game a gorgeous Newfoundland dog when he can help you things in your inventory will light up with a paw print on them and you let the dog go and sniff it out.

This game is totally gorgeous, fun, mysterious and full and I do mean full of eye candy. Already bought it didn't even finish the demo. Give the demo a try it's definitely worth it. Thank you ERS for this gorgeous game and gorgeous eye candy of a man detective Dupin and thank you Big Fish for giving me another cool adventure to get lost in. Have fun everybody !

 
belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 10, 13 2:39 AM
I played the trial hour to the end. Although not even near the best CEs ever, I liked the fact there were no junk pile HOGs. The HOGs that were there instead were quite good fun.
Bought on this fact alone as I so enjoy 'CE Thursday'.
Having bought it there was one junk pile scene after another after another...
The music started to get on my nerves, the constant hand holding (even playing advanced mode there were sparkles in the HOGs to show you the two barely interactive items!)
The graphics were excellent, and that's about it.
Got the feeling the devs started off with enthusiasm making different type HO scenes and then found it easier to fill the game with boring junk pile scenes.
When entering a room there was very little to do, and each new location was quickly completed.
I enjoyed the other games in this series, but this one is truly dire.
The trial hour was not indicative of the whole game; I'd never have bought it if I'd known what was to come.
What makes this a CE? More boring than some of the worst SE HOGs of yester year.
This game turned from adventure/iHOG to dull and one big yawn!

 
Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 10, 13 2:53 AM
Amazing ! Played 45 minutes of the demo when my average time is 20 !! Played Casual.

- ERS

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, real detective mode, you can change from one to another while playing

- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- Shortly after starting the game, you get a dog, Arthur, he will help you through the game

- H0 are quite interesting, in some you have to find silhouettes and ...to find the objects you have to play mini mini games, quite fun. Some of them are regular H0 where you interact.

- Good mini games

- Hint button

- Skip button

- Very good graphics

I have all the other Dark Tales (shame, the sale is of no use to me ) and I really loved this one. Dupin is such a smart guy !! A straight buy for me...


Edited on 01/10/2013 at 2:55:16 AM PST


 

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jan 10, 13 3:47 AM
I was hooked the moment I opened the sack and rescued the adorable puppy.
Great game, not much more to be said after all the great reviews written by people who know how to do so.
Full game now downloading, now to find time to play it.

 
CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jan 10, 13 4:17 AM
I was so excited about this game.But, I have to say I am with cbtx and belamba in reference to their reviews.
Plus side:This dev does have gorgeous graphics.
Minus side:The music is the same old.
The scenes are very simple in regards to tasks.
Plus and minus side:The HO's were fun ( I only played 30 minutes, so didn't get to the junk pile ones) as they were interactive.
Minus Puzzles were pretty simple.
Bottom line:If you like CUTE while you are a detective trying to solve a case, then this is right up your alley.

Not for me.....maybe I am too cynical. I would only give this 2 1/2 out of 5 .
I think I will wait for this to come out as a SE and then only get it with a cc. Maybe I had my expectations too high. I sure enjoyed the others ones.

 
angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 10, 13 5:51 AM
After reading the wildly differing reviews from gmac and cbtx, I did wonder if they were even playing the same game! I realise that one is a huge fan of ERS and the other, like me, not overly enthusiastic about their 'series games' and I was prepared to pretty much agree with cbtx on this latest episode of Dark Tales.

But surprisingly I enjoyed this demo very much! The graphics were bright and clear and the HOS items not so obscure that they couldn't be found (although I was disappointed to see sparkles in the HOS even though I played in advanced mode). The puzzles were entertaining, clearly explained and not overly difficult. I can't comment on the music as I never play games with it on. As for the story, I can't say I took a great deal of notice as to whether or not it made any sense.

As for the widescreen issue I do agree with cbtx that if ERS can put a patterned border around the playing area, they should be able to make it completely fill any size of screen. But I didn't find the borders distracting.

Lately I've found some CE's frustrating; I have to rely almost completely on the SG to progress (The Stone Queen) or there is one HOS after another and the game is just boring (The Headless Horseman). To play a game that proceeds logically, is not so complex that it becomes a chore to play, that doesn't rely too heavily on HOS and has puzzles I can actually work out how to solve makes a refreshing change from those I mentioned. And that dog is just adorable!

This game was fun to play and it's a definite buy for me

 
pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pvsquare on Jan 10, 13 6:35 AM
This is one of my favorite series. Thanks to ERS and BF.I agree with all the fishes that had positive comments. I am definitely going to buy this game.

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 6:37:15 AM PST


 
sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sollys on Jan 10, 13 6:39 AM
I beta tested this game back in 09/12 and it was a really good game. My download for this demo took only 12 minutes. I own the 3 previous games in this series and they were all exceptionally good.

 
vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 10, 13 6:41 AM

Edited on 01/11/2013 at 2:57:56 AM PST


 
shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 10, 13 7:27 AM
belamba wrote:I played the trial hour to the end. Although not even near the best CEs ever, I liked the fact there were no junk pile HOGs. The HOGs that were there instead were quite good fun.
Bought on this fact alone as I so enjoy 'CE Thursday'.
Having bought it there was one junk pile scene after another after another...
The music started to get on my nerves, the constant hand holding (even playing advanced mode there were sparkles in the HOGs to show you the two barely interactive items!)
The graphics were excellent, and that's about it.
Got the feeling the devs started off with enthusiasm making different type HO scenes and then found it easier to fill the game with boring junk pile scenes.
When entering a room there was very little to do, and each new location was quickly completed.

I enjoyed the other games in this series, but this one is truly dire.
The trial hour was not indicative of the whole game; I'd never have bought it if I'd known what was to come.
What makes this a CE? More boring than some of the worst SE HOGs of yester year.
This game turned from adventure/iHOG to dull and one big yawn!


Coloring mine.
I agree with you, especially the parts I colored. I hate constant HO scenes, I hate sparkles in them, and I hate rooms without much to do in them. I also don't want to buy games without a jump map anymore. I hate it when ERS gives you one of the new type HO scenes in the demo and then goes to junkpile after that. Thanks for the quick review on what the game is like after the demo and saving me some money, Belamba!

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 7:28:45 AM PST


 
biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by biomix on Jan 10, 13 8:46 AM
Valdy wrote:Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers. So... beware.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is WIDESCREEN !! Although the play area is still only full screen, the borders on either side are colourfully done - a vast improvement to the non-existing widescreen. When I ticked "widescreen" the "custom widescreen" box automatically was ticked as well.

Your Diary is at the left.

Also at the left is the SG (strategy guide). It only shows the first 2 chapters in the demo).

Your Hint button, in form of an hourglass, is at the right.

Next to the Hint button is a silhouette of a dog. Shortly into the game, it will be filled with a cuddly-looking dog, that will help you from time to time.

I adore the puzzles I have played so far. Hardcore HOG fans will find them too easy I am sure. I love easy, and these ones were FUN !!

The Skip button only took about 30 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

The one HOS (hidden object scene) I came across was GREAT FUN as well. It's one of those where you search by silhouettes, and which are highly interactive. Can't get enough of those.

I only used the Hint button once outside of a HOS (to see how well it works), and it was an instant refill, I believe. If used in the HOS, I am sure it won't take more than 30 seconds in Casual mode. But can't swear to it. Haven't used it yet in there.

--- --- ---

I swore off CEs, but I just love this game. It's easy, it's comfortable to play, i.e. I don't get stuck at every corner, it's colourful, it has fun puzzles and HOS, and ERS has made an effort to add those nice-looking borders at either side, which I like much more than the black bars.

So, what I am trying to say is: it's a buy for me.


I agree with everything Valdy said. !!!!


I am all over this game. It is a definite buy for me too. I am buying the CE.

 
mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 10, 13 8:54 AM
shagwendy wrote:
belamba wrote:I played the trial hour to the end. Although not even near the best CEs ever, I liked the fact there were no junk pile HOGs. The HOGs that were there instead were quite good fun.
Bought on this fact alone as I so enjoy 'CE Thursday'.
Having bought it there was one junk pile scene after another after another...
The music started to get on my nerves, the constant hand holding (even playing advanced mode there were sparkles in the HOGs to show you the two barely interactive items!)
The graphics were excellent, and that's about it.
Got the feeling the devs started off with enthusiasm making different type HO scenes and then found it easier to fill the game with boring junk pile scenes.
When entering a room there was very little to do, and each new location was quickly completed.

I enjoyed the other games in this series, but this one is truly dire.
The trial hour was not indicative of the whole game; I'd never have bought it if I'd known what was to come.
What makes this a CE? More boring than some of the worst SE HOGs of yester year.
This game turned from adventure/iHOG to dull and one big yawn!


Coloring mine.
I agree with you, especially the parts I colored. I hate constant HO scenes, I hate sparkles in them, and I hate rooms without much to do in them. I also don't want to buy games without a jump map anymore. I hate it when ERS gives you one of the new type HO scenes in the demo and then goes to junkpile after that. Thanks for the quick review on what the game is like after the demo and saving me some money, Belamba!


Don't mean to sound cynical but do you think its a ploy to lure those of us in who are not too fond of lots of junkpile hos. Quite often this seems to happen where the demo has very few Hos and then when you purchase the full game there are a ton of them. Makes you wonder.

 
Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 10, 13 9:10 AM
Will start with - this was a buy for me before I even looked at the demo...there was no way I personally could resist another Poe tale from ERS.

Next - after reading the previous reviews - am now wondering when the Dupin Fan Fic page will get underway

Disclaimer posted - I'm enjoying it so far! I'm happy that ERS has included all the "extra" extras they have been adding to several games of late: the games, the H0 scenes etc. Did I miss the novel? (there was a lot to take in on the menu screen!!) generally they include that with the Poe games...

Love the dog - how can you not? Miss the chicken...

Runs very smootly for me, enjoying the interactive H0 scenes so far - mind I also like the "same old" H0 scenes so will be happy with a mix - I'm sure someone will come back in and let us know if there is indeed a mix or if we see more H0 as the game goes on.

There does tend to be lots of dialogue in this series - I enjoy it - some may not; that's something to consider!

Naturally the graphics are beautiful...it is ERS after all!

Give this one a try! You can play it as a one off - you don't need to have played any of the previous (another nice thing about this as a series!) - but if you find you like it; today's the day to take advantage of the bundle sale!!

Happy Gaming!

 
 
 
 
Go to: