shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jan 10, 13 12:43 AM
Oh, yummy! Another great looking installment in this series I love. Thanks Devs and BFG! I am a happy camper. I will check back for comments from my other gaming friends.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

Re:Comments for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 10, 13 1:21 AM
My super fast 17 inch HD laptop is in the shop! I get it back tomorrow and I know the first game that's being downloaded on my new hard drive. I love this series! Can't wait to get started! And shadowfax used just the right word, "yummy"!

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Jan 10, 13 1:30 AM
I love the Dark Tales: E.A.P. series however I am finding that this one in particular is far too easy even playing in hard core mode. I am enjoying it however and will purchase..I just hope it will become more challenging as the game progresses.

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Jan 10, 13 1:32 AM
I just finished downloading as I LOVE this series also.

LOL, but don't look for a review from me. I love Valdy's and Poutoule's and a few other's that I can't recall their names . But they do a great job

But since this came out and 'made' me stay up to download, I won't be waiting for their reviews. The 2 comments about it I read are as good as I hoped.

Enjoy everyone!
mysti~~~

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Jan 10, 13 2:00 AM
I also love this series with the dreamy Detective Dupin! Agree the puzzles are a bit too easy, but I'll buy it anyway. More likely (due to budget) as an SE unless I hear the bonus game is not to be missed. Kind of fun they included a selection of 2013 calendars in the extras.

tizza
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by tizza on Jan 10, 13 4:42 AM
I enjoy the series (and of course, Monsieur Dupin), however I have this one gripe. In fact, have had it since the first game in the series.
WHY does the top hat never, ever come off? Even, when he is sitting in his cabin at his desk?! A bald spot, perhaps?
Please, ERS tell me it is not so...
It really is quite niggling. Like a dripping tap. I now pay more attention to the hat and its inappropriate placement than to the game.
Pathetique, n'est pas?
(of course I purchased the game).

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jan 10, 13 5:15 AM
tizza wrote:I enjoy the series (and of course, Monsieur Dupin), however I have this one gripe. In fact, have had it since the first game in the series.
WHY does the top hat never, ever come off? Even, when he is sitting in his cabin at his desk?! A bald spot, perhaps?
Please, ERS tell me it is not so...
It really is quite niggling. Like a dripping tap. I now pay more attention to the hat and its inappropriate placement than to the game.
Pathetique, n'est pas?
(of course I purchased the game).

Hah! Now I, too, will be watching the hat!

Thanks for the chuckle, tizza!

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Jan 10, 13 5:28 AM
Haha Tizza, now I'll be wondering about the hat too! Didn't the vain men in those days use shoe-polish?

Elirana
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by Elirana on Jan 10, 13 6:53 AM
Gee, Thanks a bunch Tizza. Now you've got me at it.
Weeeeell! Thought I'd add to my posts as I don't like squid and it's taken me 5 years to get this far.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Jan 10, 13 6:59 AM
Wonderful Job Devs for a fantastic game. Loved the first two in this series but I think this one is the best. It is so much fun and makes you smile at each turn. Like all the different games put out by these Devs the graphics and story is spot on and could not be done any better. Thank you Devs (afraid to name you for fear of being removed otherwise I would be shouting your name out loud) and Big Fish for bring us another quality game!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jan 10, 13 8:04 AM
I just finished the demo and I liked it but I don't want to buy a game right now because I've bought allot of games lately. I have 5 free game coupons but I don't think I can use them on a CE. Oh well, better luck next time.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Jan 10, 13 8:54 AM
Really like the series.
Still waiting for:
Tell Tale Heart
Masque of Red Death
Pit and Pendulum
Annabel Lee
These would make really cool creepy games which I really like too.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 10, 13 10:04 AM
well i just read in the star reviews, that after the demo,,the hog scenes are just typical junk pile......i dont like this trend of drawing us in with something new and diffent hog wise,,,,,for the demo, then just having junkpile hogs for the rest of the game...

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jan 10, 13 3:37 PM
If my hubby ever knew how many games I buy he would croak. I just love the CEs. I can't resist them (unless a rpg or tm) but all the rest I have. Thanks ERS for another Dark Tales game. You are one of my favorite devs and do not miss any if I can help. This game is just wonderful. Please keep making the CEs.

bbelle

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 3:39:46 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 10, 13 4:25 PM
bbelle wrote:If my hubby ever knew how many games I buy he would croak. I just love the CEs. I can't resist them (unless a rpg or tm) but all the rest I have. Thanks ERS for another Dark Tales game. You are one of my favorite devs and do not miss any if I can help. This game is just wonderful. Please keep making the CEs.

bbelle
And mine too! What happens on Big Fish stays on Big Fish! And I agree with you about this game.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 10, 13 4:34 PM
In real life I'd get LeGrand. But Dupin needs to lay off the botox around the mouth and get some for those angry looking eyebrow furrows! Other than that he is, to use a term used elsewhere, yummy!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 10, 13 4:41 PM
hannah57 wrote:I just finished the demo and I liked it but I don't want to buy a game right now because I've bought allot of games lately. I have 5 free game coupons but I don't think I can use them on a CE. Oh well, better luck next time.
Been there. It's a bummer to have the free credits but you can't use them on the games you really want. Maybe we should start a crusade to get Big Fish to adjust their thinking about how we spend our fee credits. Worth a try!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 10, 13 7:32 PM
Hi there,
I quite enjoyed my time playing this game, no need to overtax the old grey cells, a "sit back and relax game" .... and the "puzzle HOS" are also a part of the game later on for those of you who read a comment about the junk pile ones returning after the Trial version (also in the Bonus game). ERS didn't get lazy on this.
The production values are as usual excellent.
However, is it just me, or are their games getting simpler? I seem to remember having much harder time figuring out what to do on the first two.
Am I getting smarter, or are they just making them simpler and more obvious (even on the hardest mode)?
It seems "gone are the days" when players were prepared to run around looking for stuff and trying to remember where they needed to use it, and how to go back there. Need interractive maps now (with hints to show where to go), so without having maps, this series needs to apply the KISS principle I suppose to satisfy the masses.
I am also wondering why the ERS game development platform/program still doesn't enable proper widescreen. They have at least recognised this and have a Widescreen option - but it simply converts the black bars to a fancy border (as others have noted). Time to move into the modern age regarding their games and really have a fullscreen/widscreeen that work for today's screens - especially laptops it seems.
Cheers

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jan 11, 13 2:25 PM
Another fantastic game from ERS studios..liked the dog addition, and the puzzels are way different then the norm. Thank you ..another game to add to my list of "need to buy" when I have money..lol

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 12, 13 6:28 AM
The Black Cat is still my favorite but this was fun. The game seemed kind of short though.

Go to: