Between the Worlds III

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Between the Worlds III

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 16, 13 12:29 AM
A world of magic and machines faces impending doom. The central machine, the heart of the world, accidentally stops. The central machine generated magical powers allowing the magical world to thrive. To escape an inevitable death without the magical powers, the inhabitants of the world hid in a safe haven where time does not exist. Gather the magical powers and find the rods of the four elements to fix the central machine and save the inhabitants of the magical world!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Between the Worlds III

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 16, 13 1:08 AM
For the first 3 seconds of the cutscene I thought this could be my type of game - one rainy night you get a message.... then cut to a black cutscene where you get a list of everything you have seen and done but with no explanation or backstory then you get a professor (from where or what exactly is going on?)

Putting that aside you have two choices of hardness I tried both. On hard you get these annoying sparkles everywhere on places or things you can interact with or go ot if your curser goes over it. If you play on easy you get the sparkles without having the curser move over it. Also in some scenes you have to click on the bottom right or left corners which is unusual.

You get a forced tutorial on both levels. It's the game mechanics of this game is weird that would annoy me even if they didn't have so many HOS in it and this is a HOS game.

The graphics are actually nice - hand drawn without a wash on them but your eyesight better be good for the HOS.

I only played about 15 mins (as redid the beginning in another mode for matter of interest) and it is heavy on HOS - 6 different scenes a few one right after each other. As usual you do get a hint and skip button on both choices, hard just takes slightly longer.

I also did a gear, slider and pipe puzzle. The slider configuration I got was very easy - honest!

I haven't a clue what is going in re plot, game mechanics had me grrr with the sparkles on hard, and back to back HOS isn't my type of game.

Edited on 01/16/2013 at 1:11:35 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 16, 13 1:10 AM
Morning, all...

I feel too disgusted to make a review for this game.

Who dug out this dinosaur?

2 gameplay modes: Easy and Hard

No voice-over

No widescreen (not for me, anyway)

When you do a HOS, you don't get an object at the end into your inventory. In fact, so far I haven't seen anything in my inventory.
ETA: No, I tell a lie. I did see the gears I collected in my inventory.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. The custom cursor is real ugly, and the system cursor does not change when you move over hot spots.

Both hint and skip buttons fill within 30 seconds in Easy mode - the only thing I liked about this game.

--- --- ---

I am sure there will be gamers who will love and enjoy this game. I am not one of them, alas.

Happy gaming, everyone.

Edited on 01/16/2013 at 1:42:56 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 16, 13 1:14 AM
valdy - I just did not get this game at all even for those that love HOS.

On one HOS you got an oilcan at end but didn't understand the point of doing the other HOS scenes if you didn't pick anything up at the end. Weird game.

[Post New]by Grandmajacky on Jan 16, 13 1:15 AM
I've just completed it with 9 minutes to spare during my trial, and I only skipped a couple of puzzles, it's rather a short game I think.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jan 16, 13 1:18 AM
This game give me the feeling of a child. "This is a hint button, this is the menu button. etc.

I played only for 10 minutes and delete the game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 16, 13 1:22 AM
gingergal wrote:valdy - I just did not get this game at all even for those that love HOS.

On one HOS you got an oilcan at end but didn't understand the point of doing the other HOS scenes if you didn't pick anything up at the end. Weird game.

Gingergal, I only played until I came across those 2 HOS I got one after the other on that sandy beach, and that made it 4 HOS, I think, that I played. And none of them gave me an extra item at the end. So what is the point of the HOS if I don't get anything out of it?

Also, when I was looking for the gears, I was not able to back out of the scene until I had them all. This game is very restricted, it seems.

--- --- ---

Grandmajacky, you finished the game within the hour??

Edited on 01/16/2013 at 1:25:54 AM PST

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Jan 16, 13 1:28 AM
No offense to the devs, but this game is jumping, and has some glitches. Stopped and froze, had to cntrl alt del to get out but did get back in to finish game. This is the first game of all times I do not think it was worth the 20% off even. Worst game I ever bought Sorry

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 16, 13 1:32 AM
After reading Gingergal's and Valdy's comments, I'm not even going to bother using up my download limit on this game. Having just forced myself to finish The Headless Horseman, which was too HOS heavy for my liking, I'm not inclined to play a game that has one HOS after another.

The third day this week with nothing for me to use my PCC's on. It seems as though the only games worth playing lately are CE's or their SE versions. And the wait for the SE version is too long. Disappointing selection of new games on offer lately.

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Jan 16, 13 2:01 AM
The first two Between the Worlds games were just dreadful. At least the devs are being consistent

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 16, 13 2:06 AM
I knew the last game was short, but this one is even shorter. Yes, it would be easy to complete this in under an hour.
Save your tokens etc for another day.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 16, 13 2:07 AM
grandmajacky, within the hour? Collect the 4 scepters, and that's it??

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 16, 13 2:10 AM
cbtx wrote: grandmajacky, within the hour? Collect the 4 scepters, and that's it??

To put it succinctly - YES!

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Jan 16, 13 2:17 AM
This game sucked!! I made the mistake of buying it thinking it would get better..it didn't and I've already finished it.

Next...

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Jan 16, 13 2:53 AM
One word: Horrible!
I only lasted 7 min...

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Jan 16, 13 3:18 AM
angelfish106 wrote:After reading Gingergal's and Valdy's comments, I'm not even going to bother using up my download limit on this game. Having just forced myself to finish The Headless Horseman, which was too HOS heavy for my liking, I'm not inclined to play a game that has one HOS after another.

The third day this week with nothing for me to use my PCC's on. It seems as though the only games worth playing lately are CE's or their SE versions. And the wait for the SE version is too long. Disappointing selection of new games on offer lately.

Oh how I agree I couldn't even bother to finish the bonus on THH) and I'm really fed up with the story contents being the same old stuff too. It isn't easy to come up with new ideas or new puzzles I'm sure, but thats their job, to keep us paying public interested? Come on devs surprise us!!!!!!!!!!!

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Jan 16, 13 3:54 AM
I'm not sure why this game is getting such bad reviews. It definitely is not one of the high end games we have been spoiled with, but it's not bad at all. The only thing I was a little confused with was the intro of the story line.

This is definitely a game for HOG lovers - plenty of them. The HOS are not designed to collect items for your inventory but rather to recharge the power you need to activate the current object you are working on. So no, they are not a waste of time, but essential to the game. Notice you have a power status bar in the lower left corner of the screen. Once you finish a section the power depletes and a few more HOS need to be competed to restore the power for the next object. I found the HO scenes to be quite easy, I did use the HINT button a couple times, but for the most part the scenes can be completed without it (and I don't consider myself an expert player.)

The graphics are crisp and I had no problems with the music. Must not have been too intrusive, I didn't notice. As far as the length of the game, I only played 38 min. but I do not have the first staff yet. Even though I hurried the game along by making plenty of use of the HINT button to be guided to the next step and skipping a couple mini games. I am now on the screen that mentioned "the staff must be hidden here." So I assume I will find the first staff within the remaining DEMO period. I'm not a new player by any means, but still consider myself an intermediate player. But I'm amazed to read how far some people have progressed in their hour demo.

I'm still on the fence as to buy or not. I will play the remainder of the demo to decide. But I think it is definitely worthy your consideration. Give it a shot yourself before basing your decision on the reviews. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited on 01/16/2013 at 3:56:32 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 16, 13 4:25 AM
Thank you, KIW0612, for your review.
I had no idea that doing the HOS was supposed to charge something. I did see those blue and some other colour lines, but didn't know what they were for. I am sure that wasn't explained in the tutorial.

Either way, this game has the look and feel of an adventure game, in which HOS have been added (to add more gameplay?), and I just didn't enjoy playing the demo.

[Post New]by sweet4grease on Jan 16, 13 7:09 AM
Not the worst game I've ever played, but by far not the best. Probably the shortest offering from Bigfish in this genre. I finished the game in the demo period with time to spare, and only skipped the cutscenes.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Jan 16, 13 7:15 AM
This new one in the series is not as good as the last one but not nearly as bad as some of the comments lead you to believe. It is different and I did not see why they made all the places you could go highlighted by sparkles and back to back hos were a turn off for me. Made me laugh how they felt compelled to point out where the hint and menu buttons were located. But, in the end it is not that bad of a game and at least worth a try.

Go to: