popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Group play for Nancy Drew: The Final Scene starting 19th January - All welcome to join!

[Post New]by popla27 on Jan 18, 13 10:03 PM
Welcome everyone to the group play of Nancy Drew: The Final Scene. As with every group play, we are here to play and chat about the the game. We can share our successes and rant about our frustrations and everyone is welcome!

Large File games are great fun but can be difficult and at times very frustrating. At these times when playing alone it can be so very easy to just close the game, never to return to it, thinking perhaps these games aren't for you or are boring as you never get anywhere.

This is where group play comes in! In a group play we all play our own game at our own pace and chat about the game. This is often in the form of an update on how you are progressing, venting your frustrations as you are stuck, asking for some help with something you are stuck with, offering hints to those who have requested it and just generally talking about your likes/dislikes of the game.

The first thing most people ask when they are joining a group play is "what are the rules". Well we only have 2 'rules' here. These are:

1. This is not a race!
Everyone plays at their own pace. You may find yourself behind the other players or perhaps in front of the other players. You may find that some days you can't play much or any of your game. This is all completely fine! There is no need to feel rushed or that you should slow down. We are here only to play and enjoy the game!

2. Any and all spoilers need to be whited out
We all play at our own pace and a lot of players like to work things out themselves or at least try to before asking for help. So as not to spoil the game experience for anyone we respectfully request that ALL spoilers are whited out. This gives everyone the choice of whether to read the comments or not. If in doubt white it out!

Do not be afraid to ask, there is no such this as a silly question here!

Everyone is welcome!
Whether you are new to LF games or a seasoned gamer, never played this game before or played it a dozen times it doesn't matter. Everyone is welcome to play along with us, the more the merrier!

We put up a list of players so that we can see who our play pals are and how they are progressing (whether playing or finished) so when you start playing please pop in and say hi. I will then add you to the players list.

We love helpers in group plays!
If you have played the game before and would like to help out with hints or tips when they are requested, then please let us

Edited on 01/18/2013 at 10:18:30 PM PST

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Re:Group play for Nancy Drew: The Final Scene starting 19th January - All welcome to join!

[Post New]by popla27 on Jan 18, 13 10:18 PM
Some general tips for the game

This is one of the older Nancy games and as such uses the older interface and menu system. The main menu looks like a stack of books and here you will find the usual suspects, New Game, Save and Load Game, Second Chance, Continue and Game Setup

The Game Setup is where you will find options for all the different sound volumes and such.

New Game - Well this will start a new game! After clicking this, this is where you can choose between Junior and Senior Detective. In Junior Detective mode you get a nice handy checklist to help you with remember tasks that you need to complete, in Senior Detective mode this isn't available. I think this is the main difference between the two modes.

Save and Load Game is the place to go to save your game as you progress. Large File games don't generally autosave as we are used to in HOPAs so please don't forget to save your game! There are multiple save slots, so make use of them.

There is a short tutorial that will explain the basics of the controls in this game, so I won't go into those but I recommend you take a peek if you are new to these games or just want a quick reminder. This tutorial can be found after clicking New Game, under the Junior and Senior Detective mode buttons.

One thing I do remember about these games that isn't mentioned in the tutorials is this: If you are in a close up view of an open drawer, door or such you often can't back out until you have closed that drawer, door etc. So if you seem to be stuck, check everything is as it was when you went in!

Talk to everyone you see and look at everything you can. You never know what might be the vital clue. Still unsure on where to go next, don't forget you can call on your Friends Ned, Bess and George if you can find a phone and they might just be able to help you. (This may only be available in Junior Detective mode)

Well then, let the sleuthing begin!

Edited on 01/18/2013 at 10:19:05 PM PST

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Re:Group play for Nancy Drew: The Final Scene starting 19th January - All welcome to join

[Post New]by popla27 on Jan 18, 13 10:21 PM
Players List

popla27 - Finished
Catfish_girl - Finished
mariannequilts - Finished
gingergal - Finished
harlequen - Finished
llstjohn - Finished
TeresaRollen - Finished
ogrprincs - Playing
Aquatic - Playing
Grandmamum - Finished

Edited on 01/31/2013 at 10:07:51 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Re:Group play for Nancy Drew: The Final Scene starting 19th January - All welcome to join!

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jan 19, 13 3:36 AM
I am here! Just left Holmes to his own investigations and will check on him later to see what progress he has made But usually all those heroes are useless without us
But now I will 1st get Nancy started

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 3:36:31 AM PST

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jan 19, 13 4:09 AM
I'm here popla and CfG... and playing. Thank you very much for the start-up.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 19, 13 4:23 AM
I'm here early

Could you clarify re spoilers as I didn't think in the past I was ever doing that but scared now I was and spoiled enjoyment. Please kick me in the **** if I do it or did it or point it out in the past as I much prefer to know so I won't do it as don't want to spoil it for anyone. It's just good that everyone would be on the same page. It's your group play so I want to make sure you are happy, that's very important to me.

I used to put vague title of puzzle not in spoiler so people would see it and know help was there but not go into the post as they know they weren't at that part. For example "music box puzzle" and then did progressive hints under it whited out. Is that a spoiler?

And in ND games I'd put question/help in "library" not in spoilers but the actual specfic question in spoilers so people wouldn't go into my all white post and get spoilers if they aren't at that bit yet. Is that a spoiler?

If it is maybe if everyone would separate out I need help in library (whited out) then in a separate white out under it the question so people could not read the question if they know they aren't in that area. As I don't want to ignore anyone post but at the same time don't want to go in and read a post and find out a lot of info that is a spoiler as I'm not at that bit. If this makes sense.

Sorry for all the questions and asking for specifics, but I don't want to be doing anything that others consider spoilers and I might not and it's best to ask rather than not post much. If I have been I'm very sorry! I just want to know so not to spoil enjoyment of what is or not a spoiler.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 19, 13 5:39 AM
Loving the story and setting. Getting my bearings, sometimes arrows or where you are looking is tricky just found *basement but missed it for ages as wasn't at the right spot * *now it makes sense why I did something as that revealed it!*

Found *that the magic wand that you will find* is *used to pick up some things*

Always found the background story of *houdini interesting so hope there's loads* *always wondered how magicians did a certain trick now I know *

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 19, 13 5:44 AM
gingergal wrote:For example "music box puzzle" and then did progressive hints under it whited out. Is that a spoiler?
That looks ok to me. There's no context to the title "music box puzzle".
If you give it a setting, it becomes a spoiler.

ETA I'm aware that there may be a different view, so let me turn this on its head. Would it spoil the game for you if you knew it had a music box puzzle in it?

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 5:52:47 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 19, 13 6:00 AM
Re *basement* If anyone knows or has seen a clue or hint as to what *the code to the box puzzle in the basement is - the heart, ace, spade, crown, club one where you move one you then move them some others. Haven't tried it yet as haven't found the code yet, I'm reading all those paintings in the corridors so hopefully it's somewhere. * let me know, don't want to forget about it.

Mr Russ - I don't know, it might be to some? I just want to be clear as I'd hate to do anything unintentionally.

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 6:06:19 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 19, 13 6:09 AM
gingergal, is knowing the game has a music puzzle in it a spoiler for you?

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 19, 13 8:42 AM
gingergal wrote: Re *basement* If anyone knows or has seen a clue or hint as to what *the code to the box puzzle in the basement is - the heart, ace, spade, crown, club one where you move one you then move them some others. Haven't tried it yet as haven't found the code yet, I'm reading all those paintings in the corridors so hopefully it's somewhere. * let me know, don't want to forget about it.

Doesn't matter

*Don't know if there was any clues to it but as I couldn't see any and didn't know what else to do went back to it and worked it out by process of elimination which took a while but it's done.*

edit - Sorry didn't think to say *what the solution is for the basement tile puzzle * - *you want all the tiles to be spades*

sorry everyone, sorry popla and CFG , maybe I shouldn't have asked here re spoilers as I seem to have taken up this thread

I'll PM which is what I should have done in the first place.

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 10:04:55 AM PST

harlequen
Catfish
Catfish
1,724 Posts

[Post New]by harlequen on Jan 19, 13 9:18 AM
Just want to sign in, got the game yesterday and downloaded it.

Coming in later to play, it's early in the day and RL stuff have to be dealt with first, as usual

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jan 19, 13 10:46 AM
Hi all ,

Gingergal asks a very good question: “what really is a spoiler?”
But the truth is that this is not easy to answer it really depends on the game itself. If information on a next location, a puzzle or anything else is derived by going over in game clues it is definitely a spoiler. If the next location comes naturally or you just stumble upon a puzzle, it is not, cause everyone will get to that point .

All we ask of people is that they use common sense in determining what is a spoiler or not. And yes, sometimes someone will make a mistake with spoilers, but that is no big deal! As long as we all stay alert. Popla and I won’t be chased of immediately and/or that easily, so don’t be too afraid of that .

Any post that does contain a spoiler should probably have a little intro to make it understandable to the others what’s it is about and if it is save to read. But this also differs from game to game .

It could be something like: I am at day 1 and ………..
Or: I am in the kitchen and………
Or: I am at the 1st puzzle and……..(no need to name the puzzle specifically as that can be considered a mild spoiler to some)

What has been a problem before is that when you progress in a game, information that gets gradually known to you is now becoming so common to you that you don’t consider it a spoiler anymore . So before you post, ask yourself the question: “if I was at an earlier point in the game would I want to know this information already or is it something I needed to find out for myself?”

As said we only have 2 soft rules: no racing and white out spoilers.
As they really are soft rules we won’t over react all of a sudden if someone slips, so don’t worry too much about it. Just enjoy the game and think before you post.

I remember myself very well how great it feels when you make progress and do a major discovery, especially if it comes with a ‘duhh’ feeling and a "I should have seen that coming" feeling . But I didn’t, so it is likely that others didn’t either. So talking about that progress/discovery also needs to be considered a spoiler.

I am sorry I can’t make it more specific. But I am confident we can work it out between ourselves .

This group plays aren’t just popla’s and mines: they are ours, they belong to us all.
So it would be nice when all of us enjoy them.

One way of ensuring this is to abide by 1 simple rule: “when in doubt ask”. We are all very helpful, not just popla and me, be it about spoilers, about game controls, about hints or whatever: just ask and don’t be too afraid to slip and make minor mistakes . We all make them from time to time, that just makes us human.

Please let’s just go back to enjoying our group plays

CfG

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jan 19, 13 10:47 AM
Hi all, sorry I have abandoned you! I have had a busy day and not had chance to come back here or start the game. I will update the players list now though.

Mr Russ are you playing?

Regarding spoilers:

There really is no way of making any hard or general rules about them as they are all game dependent and what may be a spoiler in one game won't really be a spoiler in another. For example saying that you have arrived at Barrockstadt in Syberia wouldn't really be a spoiler as it is well known from the beginning of the game you are going on a journey, so the names of the stations aren't really giving anything away. On the other hand saying that you arrived at an asylum in Switzerland in Sherlock Holmes most definitely is a spoiler. (whited out those, even the one I'm not calling a spoiler incase there are people here who haven't played these games yet.)

Obviously some form of non white out comment is needed to allow other players to know *roughly* what to expect in the following whited out comment. Things such as I'm in the Mens Dressing Room on Day 1 and I have... are fine as they give a *rough* guide as to what will be contained in the spoiler but without giving anything away.

Spoilers really are game dependent and I think a lot of it just comes down to common sense. Is it something (puzzle/location etc) that you knew was coming up? is it something you had to discover, decipher and work out? Would you likely feel like you wished you had discovered a certain piece of information yourself when you got there rather than read it in the open?

We don't want to be (and won't be) strict about this, it's just in the past more and more information was being left in the open. We don't want people to worry about what they are posting or not want to post. It absolutely is not only about us. These group plays are for everyone to enjoy.

Enjoy the game everyone.... I'm going in! YAY!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 19, 13 11:19 AM
Thanks for clarifying as yes in some ND games like if it's set in a house I didn't think saying "I'm in kitchen" would be a spoiler as you would expect in that setting that there is a kitchen. But in other games if you didn't know you would be ending up somewhere or there is a secret room that would be. So that's OK as it's what I thought.

As saying the title of a puzzle like *music box* might be a spoiler or if I'm not sure I'll try and be more vague like kitchen puzzle then spoil out music box and then the question.

It's very helpful not just for new people joining, not knowing what is a spoiler etc but for me and it's a good reminder to think before posting.

And I'm glad we all know each other well enough to feel free to gently nudge each other and PLEASE everyone do that with me, I much prefer it, if there is a post that someone thinks is a spoiler.

Thanks again for the clarification popla and CFG and of course for setting all the group plays up.

Well I've just started day 2 as I've been playing non stop since very early this morning - over 7 hrs *I like that you don't have to go bed in this game but a day automatically ends* so that's a good place to leave it for the day. I think I've got my bearings in this game not too lost.

Re mechanics of the second part of that puzzle I was talking about earlier * once you do the ace/heart tile puzzle you get the jigsaw. In the jigsaw don't forget that as well as swapping around tiles you have to turn them around by the upper left hand corner.* I keep doing that puzzle in ND games and I forget everytime to do this!

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 11:25:30 AM PST

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jan 19, 13 11:37 AM
Oh wow you are doing very well with Nancy gingergal, great job!

Just a quickie from me to let you all know that the voting has finished and the winners announced in the group play vote.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/60/234664.page#4960596

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 11:38:37 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 19, 13 12:18 PM
What comes out of this thread regarding spoilers is "be vague". If people need more detail, they'll ask for it.
No, I'm not playing this one, popla27.

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 12:19:18 PM PST

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

[Post New]by llstjohn on Jan 19, 13 1:10 PM
I am in and playing and will make just this one comment about the way the character is navigated. I don't like it. There. I am backstage trying to lift the crate off the trapdoor. I have done everything I need to do to do this but cannot figure out how.

Edited on 01/19/2013 at 2:31:49 PM PST

TeresaRollen
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,896 Posts

[Post New]by TeresaRollen on Jan 19, 13 4:08 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say that I am going to try and play. My niece is going to go into labor anytime so I may be playing long after you guys have finished. I haven't even started yet. Do we just post in this thread of do we use the enitre ND: The Final Scene forum?

harlequen
Catfish
Catfish
1,724 Posts

[Post New]by harlequen on Jan 19, 13 4:22 PM
Theresarollen, welcome to the Group Play, if You look at the 3rd post, Popla have put in the players name, tomorrow Popla will add Your name, and this is the only tread We use for the Group Play, if You read Popla's and CFG post they tell You how to play the game and some rules how not to show spoilers.

Have Fun

Go to: