bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Death Pages: Ghost Library Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 20, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Death Pages: Ghost Library Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Death Pages: Ghost Library Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Death Pages: Ghost Library Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 20, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 20, 13 1:19 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers, so... beware.

There are 4 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.

No achievements, no morphing objects, no items to collect in this game by Elephant Games.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a "Gamma" setting for the graphics.

The SG (strategy guide) is at the top left, and stays open where you last left it open.

The Hint button in form of an angel over a crystal ball, is at the left.

Your Map is at the right. It shows you where you are, where actions are needed, and can be used to jump.
The Map comes in 2 parts: The "Library Plan", which shows the area outside of the book, and the area inside the book.

The Menu button is right below the Map.

On top of the left side of your Inventory is the Task tab/book.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) I have come across are all of those where you put items back into the scene.

Outside of the HOS, the Hint button tells you exactly what to do next.

Inside the HOS, a purple-coloured ring will be shown around the object in the inventory and the place where to put it.
Unfortunately, that ring only shows for a very short time, and in the first HOS especially there was a lot of animation, and I missed the place the ring pointed at twice.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons take about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I love the idea that I can go into different stories and help people in them.

I wasn't overly excited about the graphics in the first HOS, but they were better in the ones that came after.

The story/gameplay are interesting, but I didn't find the whole of the game exceptional, and I will only buy CEs from now on if I find them exceptional.

I am looking forward to continuing the story, once I have bought the SE.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Jan 20, 13 1:39 AM

Edited on 01/20/2013 at 3:03:08 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 20, 13 2:10 AM
Beautiful game here from one of the top developers, Elephant Games.

An interesting story involving going into a story to change/help the fate of those involved. This could be repeated in numerous stories down the line. And, if done as well as this one, I'm all for it.

The story here is "Romeo and Juliet"

The graphics are beautiful as we have come to expect from Elephant Games. Artwork and colors are gorgeous----and are crisp and clear without that foggy look you see in some games. Well done!!

Gameplay is smooth and problem free.

There is a very detailed and useful map which can be used for jumping to the scene you want.

And, of course, as always with this dev, there is widescreen.

The CE package is the usual----bonus play, SG, and the other rather useless assortment that personally holds zero interest for me in any CE. Artwork, screensavers, and musical soundtracks are simply needless fluff that costs nothing (and that's how much I want to pay for those things----nothing) to the devs to throw in, and seem completely pointless----give me achievements, collectibles, and puzzle replays instead----those things actually add to the game experience.

But it's still an outstanding game that I highly recommend. Few can equal the polish and quality of Elephant Games' offerings, and this one is a fine example. Kudos to Elephant!!

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jan 20, 13 2:18 AM
Good morning everyone Jumping jellybeans ! The library such a nice and quite place where one can go and just get lost in books and your thoughts and not be disturbed by anyone except the occasional shhhh from the librarian. Well I'm here to tell you this ain't what's going on at this library it's full of life and afterlife and you can definitely get lost in the books and not from reading them you literally get pulled into the book and become part of the story and you don't just thumb through the pages you actually walk through them and don't worry about a bookmark your not gonna need it because you don't leave the book until the story has come to an end but there's a catch you have to change the story and make it right or else you don't ever leave so be careful when you check out a book at this library because it's alive in more ways than one and if your not careful your gonna find yourself smack dab in the middle of a story that you didn't even write and as you walk through the pages of these books full of eye candy you do have to give the story a ending and if it's not the right one you too will become another lost soul of the LIBRARY !

Love this game it's simply gorgeous. The opening was so good and gripping it just pulled me right on in and made me want more. The graphics are simply gorgeous the story is so well done the voice overs are well done in fact I couldn't find one negative thing about this game.

I love the passion Elephant puts into all of their games you can just tell from the beginning of everyone of their games that this developer is full of passion when it comes to creating a game they get it spot on every time and with each game they release they get better and better and with each one they crank it up a notch so it's very easy to tell that pure passion and love go into their games and this one is full of it.

I love the way they are doing their hos placing the items back into the scene. During the demo I only came across a couple of puzzles which were fun I didn't have to skip them. There's lots of purple in this game and I love it purple is my favorite color. The artwork is gorgeous and so detailed. I bought it before the demo ended and I love it. Give the demo a try it's definitely worth it. Thank you Elephant for such a haunting beautiful game and for the passion you bring to all of your games and thank you Big Fish for another ghostly adventure. Have fun everybody !

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 20, 13 2:34 AM
cbtx wrote:
The CE package is the usual----bonus play, SG, and the other rather useless assortment that personally holds zero interest for me in any CE. Artwork, screensavers, and musical soundtracks are simply needless fluff that costs nothing (and that's how much I want to pay for those things----nothing) to the devs to throw in, and seem completely pointless----give me achievements, collectibles, and puzzle replays instead----those things actually add to the game experience.

Agreed!! This game is nice, but it doesn't feel like a CE, and (to me) is not worth the extra money just for a little bit of extra gameplay.

-The story is pretty interesting, and the "bad guy" is... weird. Super weird.
-I liked the way you get back and forth between the real world and the book world. It works like a portal, and is well done and easy to use.
-Graphics are lovely, but some of it is kind of dark where it doesn't seem like it should be dark. The very first location, for instance, could stand to look brighter.
-Voiceovers were good.
-The "something exciting just happened!" music gets kind of irritating.
-HOs are different, which was nice. Rather than have a list of items to find, you put items back in the scene where they belong.
-Puzzles aren't terribly hard. I did, however, start to feel like any puzzle I clicked on was going to require me to do several other steps (and I was right). It feels a little bit tedious and it kind of took me out of the game when I kept thinking, "Oh, a puzzle. What will I need to collect now?" I love puzzles, but sometimes it'd be nice to have one that's just a puzzle, without requiring extra items (broken pieces, keys).
-No achievements, no collectibles, no extra puzzles, no usual Elephant Games rooms to decorate or trophies to purchase with found coins, etc. Disappointing.

All in all, this is an OK game, but it's missing things that this developer usually puts in their CEs, which makes me feel like waiting for the SE on this one.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 20, 13 4:07 AM
This is not a full review but some comments. As usual, this company had beautiful graphics that make me want to buy immediately. They are spoiled a little for me by the blue glow which reminds me that I am in a book.

The wide screen is very nicely done and is not stretched on my wide screen monitor.

The reverse HOS are fairly new. It took me a few seconds to realize I was replacing items and not looking for them. I have seen this in other games but only in a few scenes and not to the extent it is here. This is not too difficult but can occasionally be a little challenging. I had no problems with it though and it is a nice change. I do prefer the traditional HOS though, or FROG.

This is a good game but I agree with those who state it is not up to CE standards. It will be just as good as an SE unless you want the extras. I do not know how much extra play is included in the CE and that is really the only reason I purchase CEs as I have no use for any of the other advertising extras.

I will either wait for the SE or purchase on sale or with credits (if I can). Overall, I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars - very good but not great.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 20, 13 4:58 AM
Well, mostly swimming upstream here!
Must be left over from being ! LOL

This is a beautiful game, both to play and to just look at!

The graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is smooth.

The music, IMO, is theme appropriate and I am enjoying it!

For those of us who care, and I do, the extras (with the exception of the Bonus Play) are immediately available upon purchase!
Indeed you could set the wallpaper in the demo!
Thank You Very Much, Devs!!

It is a definite purchase for me and I am quite happy with it!

As always give the demo a try and make up your own mind.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 20, 13 6:06 AM
This is the second CE (since Nutcracker) from this developer that isn't an instant buy for me. There just aren't enough extras to warrant paying twice the price; no collectibles, achievements or morphing objects, just a straightforward HOPA that whilst beautiful to look at, isn't really anything special. The 'going through a portal to another time' scenario has been done before and doesn't make this game anything we haven't seen.

The graphics as usual are stunning and the voices well done but I'm not sure I want to play an entire game putting things back into the HOS. A mix of styles would have made the gameplay more entertaining for me.

There were a good choice of options for customising the settings and it automatically filled my w/s monitor. But when the demo ended I wasn't disappointed, which I usually am if a game is really good. And after just beta testing the latest 'Fear For Sale' game, which was brilliant, this CE was a bit of a let-down. I'll wait for the SE.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Jan 20, 13 6:48 AM
I totally agree, I am trying very hard to only buy CE games if they have the extras I want such as morphs, achievements, collectibles - not interested in wallpapers, music etc. Walkthrough is a good sub for SG. Is bonus game long enough to justify paying twice the price? Probably not. Think I will wait and get as SE, I love elephant but I want the extras I am interested in. Looking forward to the next Fear for Sale............and looking forward to this one as SE!

bobbiejo2
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by bobbiejo2 on Jan 20, 13 7:12 AM
I completed the demo of this game on my Mac and was quite enthralled by it. The unique hidden object scenes and the story line carry the game along. There are no extra achievements, but the game is still excellent. The Strategy Guide is easily accessible and helpful. I will be purchasing the CE game. Kudos to both Elephant Games and Big Fish Games for another great game.

Edited on 01/21/2013 at 7:17:31 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 20, 13 9:50 AM
Elephant Games. Usually that is enough to have me press the BUY button immediately, BUT, Nig Fish has had more and more Collectors Edition and almost no SE's. As a result I have Free Credits about to expire. The only decent SE's are the former CE's, which I have already purchased. I think I will wait for the SE versions of the last few CE's before I purchase this terrific game.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jan 20, 13 9:56 AM
A very interesting game from a solid dev, Elephant Games. Nice graphics, albeit they are a litle grainy, nice storyline, and gameplay & puzzles that make you think. Reverse Hidden Object scenes where you have to put back items into the scene that are in your inventory list. I like that; not just being able to click all over the place until you hit on an object in your list. This variation makes you think before you click...

While I really like the gameplay & story, I have two gripes with the game. First, the lack of CE worthy extras. It's the usual bag of goodies from when CE's first hit the scene. Nothing special or new.

My second gripe is the voiceovers. They are atrocious. Wooden & stilted "acting", grating voices, and the Nosferatu/Igor looking henchman has to have one of the worst voices I've ever encountered in a game! It's just that bad...

While I can turn the volume down/off to avoid bleeding ears, the lack of compelling extras make this one a no-go for me as a CE. Maybe as a SE...

And why, oh why, does the description page say this?:

The Collector’s Edition includes:
Chance to wander Shakespearean Verona
Engaging storyline
Amazing art
Bonus materials

Wouldn't the SE version ALSO include a 'Chance to wander Shakespearean Verona' and an 'Engaging storyline'? This is NOT what should be considered as part of the CE. This section should only list those elements that cannot be purchased in the SE. What... Do players of the SE get a boring & unappealing storyline instead? Maybe they get to wander Elizabethan France instead of Shakespearean Verona?

BFG, please be more mindful of this. This just comes off as a very feeble attempt to beef up the game's appeal despite (or because of) its lack of CE material...

Edited on 01/20/2013 at 10:12:18 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jan 20, 13 10:12 AM
It's just another Elephant Game minus morphing objects, collectibles or achievements. IMHO, even the artwork is missing the intricacies of other offerings.

The HO I encountered had you putting items back into the scene, and the first puzzle was a slider that I spent way too much time on. The demo ended when I was finally near done with it -- aarrgghh!

So, 3 college kids go to the Library to work on a project. Seems the Library may not even be real, but the person they encountered there clearly was not human. He captured them in books with unhappy endings and their task to get free is to change the outcomes of those stories. Can you help them?

Game play is offered in 3 modes, the hardest with no hints or skips, but black bar info, yet again, is too helpful. Granted, I didn't get too far into the game, but it didn't seem too challenging, unless you count the busy work slider puzzle. Even that is more an addition to the length of play than a brain drain.

Transportable map has available actions; there is also a task list (in advanced, anyway).

CE extras include Strategy Guide, wall papers, concept art and music.

That's all, folks.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 20, 13 10:16 AM
Read the premise on the game page & though Romeo and Juliet wouldn't be my first choice I did find myself thinking "Keen idea, I hope this is a good one!" Then to find out it's an Elephant game? Great news for me anyway! They've really had some creative storylines lately!

Does run a big herky with the Special Effects on - but as always I can't resist the special effects - my choice to live with a lesser performance! I love the reverse H0 - but I still like H0 scenes as well, so whatever the mix - it's OK by me!

Like the way the game starts out - it isn't straight "Pick up a, place on b" there are a lot of things you can't pick up yet, a lot of blanks to be filled in, locks to open, puzzles to find pieces for etc. nice change of pace.

Graphics are lovely, creepy villian and a bit of "black bar humor" - all in all a buy for me.

Whether folks choose to buy the CE or not - matter of preference. I'll say again that since our very first CE the dividing line between CE and SE has been; SG, extra game play, wallpapers, music & maybe concept art & a screen saver. That's what a CE is. Morphs, achievements, etc are always great extras - but still don't make or break a CE for me.

Give this one a try, high fantasy isn't everyone's favorite

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 20, 13 11:17 AM
Enjoyed the trial and was sad when it stopped. Love the storyline and it looks like you will have to change the endings.. Graphics are great, like the HOG's that you place instead of find. Hints reload and you have a task list and a map. What more could you ask for. Give this a 5 out of 5 stars.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 20, 13 12:33 PM
Elephant is one of my favorite devs, but I have been very disappointed in the last couple of games they put out. This one is up to their usual excellent graphics and game play. Nice SG and hint system. Simple games. HOGs nice, but need a bit of a change up and not straight "place it here." A different story line for a change and I like the voice overs, although not much talking.

This game did not have anything exceptional...no morphing objects, or anything extra or unusual to find to help within the game. Very disappointing on that level, because there isn't much challenge.

I got through the "one hour" demo with 23 minutes to spare. I was heading to the next "help me" when it ended, so that means I have 3 more chapters and a bonus chapter left. If the other chapters take the same amount of time to complete, this will be a short game (anything under 3 hours is very short). This game did not hook me in from the beginning, but it was enjoyable. I don't feel it is CE worthy because of the length, but I will wait until the SE comes out and add it to my Elephant collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by HUBBY1943 on Jan 20, 13 12:34 PM
Just done Trial, not bad, not worth the cost at CE, also found the inventory very hard to get open, it was a case of trial and error.
i use a Mac, and never before has a game taken so long too download/install, its not even what i call big file!
easy game though, not much of a challenge

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 20, 13 2:01 PM
I beta'd this game a while ago and loved it. I will definitely buy the SE!

Go to: