bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Mahjong Royal Towers

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 21, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mahjong Royal Towers? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mahjong Royal Towers page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mahjong Royal Towers

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 21, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 21, 13 2:28 AM
I found myself liking this game.

The story is a little vague, but whatever.

Pros:
-Smooth gameplay.
-Artwork is nice and bright.
-Mahjong tiles can be changed to whichever set you like. They all have generally the same theme, but some have roman numerals instead of "regular" numbers, so you can change that.
-Ability to shuffle tiles when needed.
-Ability to highlight just the active tiles, if you need that.
-Objectives to achieve in each level, e.g., get X amount of gold, complete the round in less than X amount of time, etc.
-Levels are replayable to get all of the achievements.
-There are trophies, but they don't look too difficult to get.

Cons:
-Story could be more interesting and/or explained.
-More achievements where you actually need to work at the game to get them would be nice.

All in all, this is a nice mahjong game. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but it seems nice to play when you need a break from other games.

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Jan 21, 13 5:42 AM
Yet another timed mahjong game. Mahjong is a relaxing game for me, but when you have to get so many gold pieces in x amount of time to progress in the game, the fun goes out the window. I got the Halloween version of mahjong and am stuck on a level now. Also, when you collect all of the gold pieces you are "finished" with that level, even if tiles are left on the board. So you have to watch the timer, find the gold ones( but not all of them) and still clear the board. No thanks.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jan 21, 13 7:47 AM
I too don't like timed games. Games should be relaxing. I have enough hectic times at work, don't need them in my games too. I play games(just like all I think) to unwind with a nice cup of at my side. This game is just to high paced for me to relax..........................................DEV I THINK A LOT MORE GAMES WOULD BE SOLD IF YOU JUST STUCK AN UNTIMED MODE IN THERE................

chiari_survivor
Catfish
Catfish
1,506 Posts

[Post New]by chiari_survivor on Jan 21, 13 8:19 AM
Mahjong Royal Towers
512 MB RAM, 48 MB Hard drive
6 player slots
Options: includes sliders for music/sounds, check boxes for full screen & cursor.
8 tile options represented by a red dot, #1, head armor, sun/moon, flower, cooked turkey, sword, & a kings crown.
Credits: Producer- Roman Artyukhin; Art Producer- Daria Edokova

12 Trophies- One for completing each of the 6 fields (Tournament Field, Royal Garden, Armory, Castle Yard, Refectory also called a dining rm, & Throne Rm) which are all shown in the center picture on the game page, then 6 other trophies for over 100,000 pts, 25 crowns, removing 1000 pairs, using bonus 50 times, achieving X5 index, & completing 30 levels w/ highest score.

Main screen has Choose player, Play & Exit
Each of the 6 fields has 20 boards =120 total. Once you complete a board the next will unlock & light up. Once you complete all 20 in the Tournament Field, the next field will unlock. Each of the field pictures is the back ground while playing the 20 boards for that field.

Each board can earn 3 stars.
1st- for matching the number of gold tiles listed,
2nd- accomplishing in the set number of moves &
3rd- completing it in the set amt of time.

You can not turn off the timer but the game allows you to take as long as you need, you just will not get that final star. As long as you get at least 1 star you will advance. Would still be better if the timer could be turned off totally according to each players preference.

The music is a calm relaxing instrumental piece w/o sounding like a lullaby or can be turned off.

All tiles are medieval/ castle themed. Graphics are beautiful,they were sharp & clear with very detailed pictures. I played games w/ several tile sets. A few were so detailed, that it did slow me down on finding their matches. There is no story besides what the images themselves tell.

Once you start playing the first level, you are forced to go through a tutorial by clicking the tiles that the arrows are pointing to. You can not click anywhere else but where the arrows point. I have not seen a button to turn off the tutorial but it is possible that I just missed it.

For each board the goals for each level are first shown to you in the center of the screen & once the board is started then they are shown at the top of the screen. Starting at the upper left is an arrow taking you back to the main screen, then came a box with the number of gold tiles to be found, number of moves you have used on that board, then the timer for that board & finally the points/ money you have won. At the bottom of the screen, the lower left has a gold lion on a blue back ground that highlights the available tiles & the lower right has a symbol that means to shuffle the tiles. When you run out of possible moves a text box automatically pops up for an OK to shuffle the remaining tiles.

Once you have matched the final gold tile the game stops & gives you your score. You can then either choose to replay the level by clicking the picture of that board layout again or choose the next board that would now be unlocked & lit up. If you would rather clear all tiles from the board then it would be important to remember to leave at least 1 gold tile un matched so you could continue to match the reg white tiles until they are all matched then complete the game by going back & matching that final gold tile. Again this would be much easier if the player could choose which way they like to play Mahjong, instead of trying to work around the way this one plays.

You are permitted to match gold tiles w/ white tiles, only part that needs to match are the symbols. They even allow a kings crown to match w/ a queens crown but does NOT allow the North, East, South & West coins to match the others. Flowers to flowers yes...just determine if the rules are the same as you have generally played in the past & check the help section if you need more help.

I am sure there is more info than this, to this game. When you start the game you have FPS-60 and UPS 3000 & I do not know what these refer to. After you choose Play on the first screen, you are then on the 2nd screen. They have listed Contest, Trophies, Options & Help..I am unclear on if there is more to the "Contest" as no real details have been given. Take a look at the center picture shown as each of these is the background for the boards you would play for each field.

If this sounds like a game you might enjoy give the demo a try. For me I enjoyed my demo though I was having a very difficult time getting all 3 stars, but my choice of tiles was also effecting my speed as I was trying tile designs that looked nothing like the tiles I generally use to play mahjong with.

I recommend this game if you have demo'd it to try it for yourself.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 21, 13 12:04 PM
I don't like the timed Mahjong games.. They should be a relaxing type of game, or at least have a choice. Too bad.. as it could be a very good game.

nelliebj
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nelliebj on Jan 21, 13 2:02 PM
Timed? Not for me! I love Mahjong games (amongst others) but if it is timed and you have to clear a certain number of tiles in order to win the level.....no way. There are much nicer, easier and more relaxing Mahjong games out there that I would rather buy. So, even after a half-hour of trying, forget it. NO BUY for me.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 21, 13 5:13 PM
chiari_survivor wrote:
You can not turn off the timer but the game allows you to take as long as you need, you just will not get that final star. As long as you get at least 1 star you will advance.

Thank you for pointing that out. Something that I appreciate about this game is that you don't have to beat the timer, but it's there for the people who want the challenge of getting all the stars. Thanks, devs

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jan 22, 13 12:57 PM
I was glad to read in the reviews that you don't have to beat the timer, I'm really slow and it makes it hard for me to form a strategy when I have to move too fast. Plus even if I move as fast as I can I still hardly ever beat the clock.

[Post New]by lillamary on Feb 17, 13 8:51 PM
I HATE TIMED GAMES!!!!! Why don't you put a guide on the advertisements please Big Fish? It's not fair at all that a relaxing game turns into yet another stress machine. At least if we could avoid the timed games we would be happier customers.

hobo11
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by hobo11 on Mar 11, 13 11:38 PM
Thanks to all of you for your reviews. I am new to Big Fish and love the Mahjong games I bought. I have Mahjong Christmas and the Spooky Mahjong. Saw your reviiews on the Royal Towers and realized it has the levels and lots of trophies to win. Love that and they are so graphic and nice colors. Are there anymore mahjong games like these.? Have looked at all the others here but they are just the tile games and they are not quite the same as these three.

[Post New]by youngmo on Jul 23, 13 1:07 PM
Why can't we just have plain & simple Mahjong without all these fancy gold tiles & timed games??????? I agree with other comments that it's meant to be relaxing not a stressful competition! Exactly the same has happened with the HO games being mixed up with puzzles. Please keep some simple games for those of us who enjoy them.

Go to: