Senior Citizens sign in!!

bowiecowgirl
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by bowiecowgirl on Apr 2, 18 3:41 PM
I am THRILLED that the green status bar on the world map is back. I love using it to compare progress among cities and to keep track of the cities that I have traveled to temporarily (without the green bar they look like every other locked city). I appreciate that they listened to this request and appreciate the change. Thanks Gummy Drop.

[Post New]by cardiganmom on Apr 2, 18 4:26 PM
I totally agree with bowiecowgirl!! With the return the green bars, I now "remember" that there are several cities that I visited for a short time on a freebie and can see which ones. Totally forgot about visiting Cairo, for example. So glad to see them back!

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 2, 18 5:47 PM
For anyone interested, theres another boost sale on. I have worked it out again, the basic pack (boost pack) saves just 54 coins. The Mega boost pack saves 178 coins, and the ultra boost pack saves 666 coins. The ultra one costs 2600 coins and includes 30 shovels. well worth it for those with spare coins to build their boost stash, but all packs include the very useful oasis and rainstorm boosts which are fabulous for getting rid of those unbelievably annoying desert sand tiles.

And the green status bars are back for me too.Hooray.

On the subject of the pic of Amsterdam depicting it looking cold etc in winter and its not always like that, I remember sitting in the middle of a roundabout on the grass in Amsterdam (MANY years ago) having a picnic (yes, strange things we do when we are young) and the sun was shining, it was a glorious summer day. Melbourne is depicted as being incredibly dark and gloomy on its opening picture, but it is only like that in the depths of winter, most of the time, its also gloriously sunny here too. All of the cites have seasonal variations and they can really only choose one pic to go on those scenes. But gosh, by the time you get even halfway through ANY city, those pics become very repetitive. Wouldn't it be wonderful, if they could have multiple images and alternate them each time you open a level? That would be so much less boring and show off so much more of what a city might actually be like. The one in Queenstown for example, shows a bungee jumper and nothing of the city itself or what it might look like even though he is cute and looks like he is having a great time on that piece of elastic. There are a heap of others that also do not show the city at all. It would be nice to have glimpses of them.

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
823 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Apr 2, 18 9:10 PM
Yes, Jules, what a good idea for the intro pictures to change for the cities. By the way when we were in Amsterdam it absolutely poured with rain the whole time. On the subject of Queenstown we stopped and watched at the original AJ Hackett bungee jumping bridge this morning and there is a dual zip line there as well now -very entertaining to watch but not for me or hubby to try!

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 2, 18 9:21 PM
No, you would never catch me trying bungee jumping, or anything even remotely like or on a high wire in a million years. NOT my thing at all. I watch people doing it on shows like The Amazing Race and I just shudder in my boots. NO WAY.

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Apr 2, 18 10:54 PM
Thanks snowmanvt. I've been zooming through the city and am already half way. Starting to slow down now and thinking about actually using some of the HH cards I've earned. Or just shipping. I got through the first 5 monuments without having to do anything extra, just play. Now its time to start thinking about strategy - ship a lot or go ahead and use cards to work to finishing a city as Lambina mentions. Lots of choices ....

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Apr 2, 18 11:27 PM
Jules, when you were in Amsterdam, were you having a picnic on a roundabout because you were on 'grass'?

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 2, 18 11:46 PM
Probably a lot of good munchies in the picnic basket

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 3, 18 12:00 AM
I can't even remember why we chose that spot to stop to eat, I was with family and a few others, on a tour. It was somewhere near a tram I remember, one that had a swivelling middle, never seen one like it before, now we have them in Melbourne. Yes, it was on grass but I wasn't on grass, there is a difference. The munchies were lovely things like Danish pastries, I had never had them before going to Europe. Love them still to this day.

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on Apr 3, 18 5:56 AM
When my wife and I were in Amsterdam last year, I was amazed to see marijuana seeds of all varieties being sold openly, and in large displays, at the famous flower market. Betty was too worried to let me try to bring back some to the US. Now, my state of Vermont has legalized it starting July 1. I wonder if there will be a new product at our farmers markets this summer? Yes, the world has changed, in some ways for the better. For those of us who loved book and record stores, not always for the best.

Edited on 04/03/2018 at 5:58:17 AM PST

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 3, 18 6:59 AM
Records (lps), are really back in in a big way these days, I noticed the cost and sheer variety of them available at the big hi fi store here last time I went to get a new cd and was just amazed at the prices they were asking for them. All the current 'pop' artists are putting out every album now in both cd and vinyl lp format and loads of 'older' classic albums are all being re released in the new LPs too. . and the LPs are upwards of double or triple the cost of the cds, sometimes tenfold. You can buy at least 3 cds for the cost of even the cheapest LP. Seems the younger generation really like the concept of putting a record on a turntable and record players are also available in a large array of brands, qualities and price ranges in the same places etc Its a real reversal of the trend to more modern technologyas we had thought for many years that records and turntables were a defunct thing of the past. NOT so anymore. I am glad I still have my old massive stereo system that I outlaid a LOT of money for back in the 80s, and its still working brilliantly today and is now worth a heap more than I paid for it back then. And I still use it now. NO intention of getting rid of it even if LPs hadn't come back in.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 3, 18 9:35 AM
Marijuana has been legal in my state of Washington for a few years now, there are pot stores everywhere and billboards advertising it, I never thought the day would come when it would finally be legalized.
CDs are getting to be obsolete and hard to find in the stores in my area, I guess people prefer to download music these days, I just bought a new car a few months ago and they don't come with CD players anymore, you have to plug in your phone music or a thumb drive with music, we have a huge collection of some great CDs so that is a real bummer.

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Apr 3, 18 12:38 PM
snowmanvt, in the UK at least, book sales are back on the increase and downloads to Kindle etc dropping. Nothing matches the feel of a real book, although the Kindle is great when travelling and not using up half the baggage allowance with reading material.
I used to take my Kindle to work with me and it was used every break and lunchtime. Since I retired 2 years ago it has been unused apart from holidays.

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Apr 3, 18 1:20 PM
I love this thread and the info on what's happening in the world that never gets into a paper (or that I missed out on). I didn't know that marihuana had been legalized in some states of the USA, vinyl hasn't yet made such a come back in continental Europe as it seems to have done in Australia (here there are aficionados but they are more in our age bracket) and kindle is not as widespread as in english speaking countries.

Having said that, I must admit that my husband and I are philistines... We have sold our LPs and most of our cds and enjoy the variety and uncomplicated handling of the playlists in Spotify. We got ourselves kindles and never looked back. You can read any book no matter its weight in bed, at all times without disturbing your partner's sleep, the lightis always good and the letters never too small. It is a lot cheaper and doesn't take up space and catch dust. Our library is slimming and our aim is to get rid of it before over the next 3 years (of course with the exception of some favorites). I just love these innovations!

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 3, 18 4:29 PM
I like the idea of downsizing the cd collection and taking up less space, hence I had been transferring all my cds onto my itunes library on the computer, but it is fraught with dangers, like some weeks ago, I somehow accidentally wiped the lot and sent it to recycle bin. Almost 10,000 songs. I am devastated. My daughter managed to get them back into the list but the files seem to not be there and it will not play any of them, even the ones I actually purchased from apple. I had got rid of many of the cds, sold some too on ebay, and now am unable to reload them all onto the library. Anyone know how to recover the files so my itunes library can return to what it was before? I also do have the entire library, with the exception of the last few cds synced onto an ipod classic which is 160gb, the reason I purchased it was to back up the library, but I dare not connect it at the moment as if it goes to sync, it will wipe them all off and I won't even have that. I am lost with this so if anyone can help, PM me please with how to do it.

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 3, 18 5:35 PM
A while back all the music I had copied to my computer (a pc) did the same thing. iTunes helped me restore everything, and then I copied it all from my pc to Zip drives—don’t want to go through that again! Good luck

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 3, 18 6:03 PM
I too prefer a real book to read rather than an electronic book, but they have their uses for travelling. All my friends who read also really prefer the paper versions and we have found a few gorgeous old fashioned book shops in places that are very popular and always busy. I hope real books never go out of style.

kailuaauntie, did you phone itunes/apple or was there some sort of help online? I have never had to do this before and will most certainly back it all up if I ever do get it restored properly, I do NOT want to go through this again. The heartache it causes to lose all that music is awful.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 3, 18 6:10 PM
I have given up on dead tree books, but that was due to severe eye strain. I love my Kindle Paperwhite, with the font size set so that it doesn’t strain my eyes. I have it in a cover that opens up like a book, and even with the cover it’s about as light as a paperback. And being able to get a new book RIGHT NOW is fantastic. I’ve discovered some great fiction that’s only available as ebook, too.

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 3, 18 6:21 PM
OOo_jules_oOO wrote:I too prefer a real book to read rather than an electronic book, but they have their uses for travelling. All my friends who read also really prefer the paper versions and we have found a few gorgeous old fashioned book shops in places that are very popular and always busy. I hope real books never go out of style.

kailuaauntie, did you phone itunes/apple or was there some sort of help online? I have never had to do this before and will most certainly back it all up if I ever do get it restored properly, I do NOT want to go through this again. The heartache it causes to lose all that music is awful.

If I remember correctly I went to iTunes internet support It was a little complicated but everything is OK now. I’ve also found Apple phone support very helpful.

As to books, I’m always rummaging through local thrift and used book stores,I can’t quite imagine falling asleep with my kindle book lying across my face or slipping to the floor as I finally give in to the Mr. Sandman.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 3, 18 6:45 PM
A good book can be passed around, bought and sold, and shared by many for years and years but a kindle can't.

Go to: