bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for The Lake House: Children of Silence

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 23, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Lake House: Children of Silence ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Lake House: Children of Silence page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Lake House: Children of Silence

Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Hi Fishies,

In case it helps at all, you can click here to jump to the reviews for the CE version of this game.

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 23, 13 1:35 AM
Morning, Baikal and all fishies...

This game has 14 chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Casual and Expert.
In Casual mode, both the Hint and Skip buttons fill within 30 seconds.

There is Widescreen.

There is Voice-over.

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

For those with an older graphics card, you can declick "Low Quality".

Your Journal is at the left. Inside you will find your Map, which you will get a little into the game. It shows you where you are, where you have things to do, and where you have nothing to do. You can't use it to jump.

Your Hint and Task buttons are at the right.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive.

Puzzles can be skipped.

--- --- ---

I was very happy with everything about this game. I really can't say that this is a "gloom and doom" kind of game - as some peeps said in the CE forum - but quite spooky.

I loved the main game - never got bored, and enjoyed the graphics and animations, especially those that appeared in the HOS.

I wished the developers had added more of the type of the very first HOS, but it wasn't to be. Maybe next time ?? Just don't make the items look near invisible.

The main game had a very satisfying ending, but then again, an ending that left you wondering...

About the Bonus Game, which took me a good hour to play:

SPOILER ALERT - only read if you want to know what happens in the bonus game!
The bonus game continues with Anne going back to the house to destroy the mask once and for all.
You will go through some of the same area and encounter some of the same HOS you have been through in the main game, but also discover a few new areas with a couple of new HOS.

END OF SPOILER ALERT

mehebert
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by mehebert on Jan 23, 13 5:29 AM

Edited on 01/24/2013 at 5:08:43 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 23, 13 11:09 AM
Well, after a long dry few weeks BF finally has a winner. I usually don't review a game I am going to buy just after playing the demo, but this one is a winner! Excellent animations that are fun to watch, interesting cut scenes, good voice overs (except the guy on the dock...what a dork), HOS are fun, Mini games are easy and enjoyable. The story is great and starts off with a bank and moves easily.

Inventory items are used fairly quickly so you don't end up with all these items and forget what you are doing. Has a very helpful map although it is not a jump map, but is very clear about where to go next. Journal is helpful, but not all that necessary. HINT recharges quite quickly, but you find you won't use it that much and there is a task list...but it does appear worthless.

Only thing I found really odd was the developers apparently don't know how tall a 15 year old can be....certainly not 4'3"...good grief....and I believe voices have changed by then too!

Downloading now, and can't wait to start playing again! A definate 5 out of 5 and unless it has a really sucky ending and/or really short, I think this is going to be a great one!

Addition: Just finished the game...it was a long one and never was exciting right to the end (although you really knew all along what was going to happen). Had a great time playing this one. Although the game ended it did set up for either a sequel or the CE continues it on...always hate those because I'm not going to buy the CE to find out who the dude was that picked up the mask. By the way, I believe he put the wedding ring on the wrong hand....LOL.

Edited on 01/23/2013 at 5:16:54 PM PST

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Well Done!

[Post New]by mrssharon on Jan 23, 13 2:59 PM
This is one of the best SE offerings there has been in a while.

I felt the element of urgency when playing the demo, which I played to the end of the hour. Hard to get that in some of the games I've played recently. I need to know what happened to the boy and Ann! It feels very tragic!

The music is very fitting; soft and almost sad. The graphics are clear enough to find hidden objects which is a bonus. Nothing dark and dreary yet.

The voice overs were fine. I'm very happy they didn't make the lips move. That drives me nuts, especially since they don't usually look like a mouth that is really speaking.

I didn't use the map since everything seemed fairly obvious and no too much back and forth. The hint does recharge very quickly.

I definitely like the pace of the game. This is a definite "yes" for me.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 23, 13 3:01 PM
I didn't like this game, when the demo ended I was so-so about it so decided to use a free coupon on it. I thought the graphics in the demo was about the best at least some scenes had colour to it even if most scenes seem to be drudge and dreary but shortly after the demo the graphics got a bit more grey (most still had some colour to it but some didn't) but I just don't like that kind of graphics - bit washed out, not sharp so that didn't help either. I get it's supposed to be an eerie game but don't understand why the cafe for instance in the demo just looks dirty and unkempt - why eat there? For me that's how it came across instead of atmospheric, and basically I find these kind of graphics depressing.

I know graphics have a huge impact on a game so if you don't find that at all about the graphics you'll probably like it.

I found the 15 puzzles mostly to be easy, I didn't like most of them not just because of the ease of them but either the type or how it looked. Most were uninspiring except for a couple. I think I counted some 'interactions' at the beginning which weren't technically a puzzle with a skip button. So the numbers are rough.

There were 18 list HOS - mildly interactive. I would class at least 2/3rd in the junk pile realm and quite a few were dark and dingy looking in the middle but at the end they were better. There is a random click penalty which is annoying but no sparkles even for HOS on the hardness I played on. You do have to backtrack and check on the HOS as they repeat about half of them (you play them twice).

You can change settings midgame. There is a hint button and skip button on hard.
There is no transporter map but a map in the journal which does gives hints as it tells you places there are things to do in, I did use this especially half way through to the end as wasn't liking this game. As there is a fair amount of backtracking in it, don't know why it wasn't a transporter map as that was another thing I didn't like.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 23, 13 3:02 PM
continued

The opening of the game re story had me interested, the graphics at the beginning were OK to quite good but with how it turned out with graphics, gameplay, hos, puzzles I couldn't wait for the game to end. The one good thing about the game was the story, it was interesting but I didn't like how the characters zoomed in and out.

You play as Henry the fiance, don't want to say anymore as it's a spoiler. I did think how they did the story - through some letters, film and cutscenes was very well done and how I like a story to be told.

The ending I would say is sort of finished although at the very end it's trying to create suspense with the ending, having you wonder but it may continue into the CE. Either way I couldn't say it was 100% tied up for a SE player as it doesn't seem that way to me but a CE player may tell you if it was.
I felt OK with the ending for a SE player, even if I would prefer they didn't do that.

About 1-2 yrs ago I would have enjoyed this a bit more, but have played so many games with that type of graphics and strip away the story (after all it is a game not a novel) the gameplay is uninspiring, backtracking, bit blah puzzles, dreary graphics, not even the plot could hold it together for me.

But as I said if the graphics are OK for you, or if you don't mind that kind of thing, and if you love a bit different plot then it's certainly worth a DD or coupon. It just wasn't for me, but check it out for yourself.

Time about 4hrs - Used the map in the journal, and some hints in the HOS.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jan 23, 13 7:42 PM
I didn't see a bonus section.,....was that in a CE? I played about 8 hours and enjoyed it very much. Nice scenes, graphics, a real mystery.... I like the map telling what location you can go to. I like the fast hint button and never needed a walk-through. very nice. And it gave me the credit to get a free game which I'll use in February.

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Jan 24, 13 3:04 PM
Just finished the game and must say enjoyed playing. The music is good but so sad, I turned it off to keep from crying.
Graphics are very good, clear and puzzles were not overly difficult. I managed to do all without skipping.
HOS are clear and objects cleverly hidden. Overall, glad I got this one. Didn't know exactly how it would end, although you do start getting hints and interesting enough to mke you want to keep going to find out.
Ending leaves you knowing there will be a sequel, but ties up this story line very well. Enjoy!

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 27, 13 10:22 AM
I like this game. I was worried after reading some of the reviews but i had no problems with this game what so ever. I enjoyed the story with the mask. It reminded me of Friday the 13th & Michael Meyers from Halloween. I love those movies!!! And I loves this game! It ends with a continuation too, which I will be sure to buy!!

pinkwitch12
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwitch12 on Feb 9, 13 5:06 PM
I loved this game. There was so much to it that I must call this one a dark rich treat. I hope there is more to come. The mask has been taken up by...who? I don t need to reiterate chapters, etc. this was a yummy one. Thank you

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Mar 10, 13 8:52 AM
this is a good game, the plot keeps you in suspence..............doug & lisa

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Apr 10, 13 9:35 AM
I was buying at random to use up my game credits and got this game (no demo) I wasn't sure what to expect and at first I wasn't too interested, but then as it went on I got more and more intrigued.
I loved the scenery and the music! So delightfully dismal and full of wanton sadness. (yeah, I'm a twisted little fishie) It just added to the storyline which I also loved. The ending was my kind of ending (the way I'd end my stories).
Really have no complaints. I found this game to be interesting, fun and full of scenes and images of past games, etc.
Just loved it! (now I'm sad I didn't see that it had a CE, which I wish I had now)

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 5, 13 1:17 AM
Relaxing & Intriguing

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Words like “wistful” and “melancholy” come to mind when playing this game. It is a sad rather than scary story, at least most of the time. There are creepy moments and a couple of hostile spirits around, but they do not dominate the game.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are very good, in a water colour kind of way. Very well drawn and animated. They are somewhat drab, but it fits with the story. The music is wonderful, and sets that mood of nostalgia up. Voiceovers are pretty good, ambient are good too. All up, this game feels good without being even vaguely pretty or cute.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Your fiancée (yes, you’re a bloke!) insists on postponing the wedding until the vandal who attacked our photo album is found. She is convinced it is her brother, but he died 15 years ago, just a small boy. So we return to the house on the lake where the tragedy occurred, in order to solve the mystery.

You are a chivalrous gent, so you tell your love to wait outside until you have checked out the deserted and dilapidated house. Naturally, she is captured outside by a man in a mask. As you search for her, your memory of those times there comes back as you come closer to the truth.

In truth, the story is a bit muddled and occasionally we seem to lose our way, but it does keep you guessing about its outcome almost to the end.

MAKING PROGRESS
This game tends towards more HOPs, with puzzles being rarer and adventure being pretty predictable. The HOPs are interactive lists, visited more than once, have good clarity and detail, and the interactions are fun. The puzzles fit the game’s atmosphere, but are not memorable. There is a directional hint, a journal, and an interactive map, but you can’t fast travel. Which is occasionally annoying.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
Although this game is low key, it is very well put together, excellent production values, and is pleasantly relaxing.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Oct 12, 13 1:14 AM
Valdy wrote:I was very happy with everything about this game. I really can't say that this is a "gloom and doom" kind of game - as some peeps said in the CE forum - but quite spooky.

I loved the main game - never got bored, and enjoyed the graphics and animations, especially those that appeared in the HOS.

I wished the developers had added more of the type of the very first HOS, but it wasn't to be. Maybe next time ?? Just don't make the items look near invisible.

The main game had a very satisfying ending, but then again, an ending that left you wondering...

I agree with Valdy, and also with the reviewer who mentioned the sense of urgency lasting all the way through the game! At the end I was mentally screaming, "Oh, no! Hurry, hurry."

A jump map would've been nice, but you don't really need it. The big positive for me? The hint and skip buttons fill very quickly!!

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Aug 8, 14 7:28 PM
I liked this game...the story moved nicely, the graphics were really done well, and the hidden object scenes were interactive. I think the only thing I didn't like about it was the map showed you where you were and where you needed to take action, but it would not let you jump from place to place. I find it tedious in a game to have to walk from one place to another, especially when there are so many twists and turns, I always get lost! LOL! Anyway, I give this game a 7 out of 10.

Go to: