Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

Pet Peeve re Titles of Games

[Post New]by Qismet on Jan 24, 13 6:42 AM
Just my opinion, but I hate when games are named in ways that indicate they are part of a related series but they are in no way related. The Surface games are a prime example but certainly not the only offenders. I am in no way maligning the quality of these games....I do very much like them....but this is confusing and frustrating to me.

Perhaps there is a reason for this that I am unaware of but it seems misleading to me. Am i the only one bothered by this?

Q

Re:Pet Peeve re Titles of Games

[Post New]by avenue90210 on Jan 24, 13 6:58 AM
Disagree,,, I think Surface Series is about mysteries of parallel worlds. And I love this Like old TV Show "Sliders" - maybe this is a different way to connect series - but really fun!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 24, 13 7:23 AM
To be honest, I couldn't understand why this game was prefixed with the word "Surface" either. All 3 games are completely different from each other.

In fact, I don't know why either of the 3 games are prefixed with "Surface". But that's just me, wondering...

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jan 24, 13 9:05 AM
Maybe it is meaning different realms? i.e. worlds?

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 24, 13 9:31 AM
Valdy wrote:To be honest, I couldn't understand why this game was prefixed with the word "Surface" either. All 3 games are completely different from each other.

In fact, I don't know why either of the 3 games are prefixed with "Surface". But that's just me, wondering...

Because of the flower logo collection in all of them...

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Jan 24, 13 12:14 PM
avenue90210 wrote:Disagree,,, I think Surface Series is about mysteries of parallel worlds. And I love this Like old TV Show "Sliders" - maybe this is a different way to connect series - but really fun!

That's a great way to look at it, and I loved that show too

Maybe the same team worked on them? Or maybe it's just an indicator of exactly what to expect in the games, these all have collectibles which you can use do actually do things with, and similar achievements, they also seem to have the same level of challenge, and balance of adventure to ihogs/puzzles. I'd rather have a series of slightly different but well crafted games, than a series of games which try to follow a common story so much, the game play gets left behind. Mentioning no names MCF

Edited on 01/24/2013 at 12:15:17 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 24, 13 1:13 PM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:
Valdy wrote:To be honest, I couldn't understand why this game was prefixed with the word "Surface" either. All 3 games are completely different from each other.

Because of the flower logo collection in all of them...

AHA !! You know, I had already forgotten that the other games also contained flowers to be collected. *smacks herself on the forehead* Thanks for the reminder, Lily.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jan 24, 13 3:17 PM
Also, in my opinion, the Surface games have more of a sci-fi theme and feel to them than the other EG series do.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Jan 24, 13 4:36 PM
avenue90210 wrote:Disagree,,, I think Surface Series is about mysteries of parallel worlds. And I love this Like old TV Show "Sliders" - maybe this is a different way to connect series - but really fun!
I love this explanation. And there's more to these worlds than what you see on the "surface".

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Feb 1, 13 2:37 PM
I agree.

I also think that if you are a developer of previous games that were (as far as I can see - not just talking 'Surface' here) very successful, it only makes business sense to bring one out with a prefix that gamers will immediately identify with. One word: marketing.

Edited on 02/01/2013 at 2:39:06 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 2, 13 9:06 AM
i think that the title is fitting, a city that floats.

Go to: