bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 26, 13 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 26, 13 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 26, 13 12:56 AM
This is an adventure/puzzle game that is a sequel to "The Witch's Prison" which was released in 2010. And, frankly, this game looks so similar that it wouldn't take a lot to convince me that this game has been sitting on the dev's shelf since that time.

There is no widescreen, and when you switch from windowed mode to full screen and back, the game just flickers for a long time, then you get a message that the textures are reloading. In addition, the game closes the game manager upon starting, then reopens it upon closing. These things indicate (to me) a bit of careless programming.

The graphics are ok, but dark. However, you can adjust the brightness in the options screen.

There are voiceovers by non-professionals. (At least they don't sound like pros to me, and if they are, then Actors Equity needs to be notified.)

The game is like any adventure game----explore everything, and lots of puzzles. Some will enjoy that, and others will not. But I like adventure games. And I love puzzles and mini-games.

You may wonder whether you need to have played "The Witch's Prison" to fully enjoy this one, and I would say definitely yes. And you can pick it up for half-price in this weekend's sale.

It's not for everyone, but it is worth a pcc for me.

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on Jan 26, 13 2:04 AM
Definately not my cup of tea...boring..hard to figure out what is going on..everything seems to be able to be clicked on and it is a useless click..nothing there but a comment..will not be buying this one..even with my free game!!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 26, 13 2:49 AM
Brilliant game. At last a grown up puzzler. I love that it doesn't hold your hand and give instructions about everything. It reminded me a little of Safecracker, you have to figure out how to do most of the puzzles which can take some thought but is very rewarding when you do, and not a hidden object scene in sight, bliss. I wish there were more games like this, great stuff.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 26, 13 2:51 AM
I played the demo until it ran out, I was very pleased with this game graphics was nice and clear and sounds was awesome, Thx DEV's for all your hard work and time you have spent on this lovely game..This game is a buy for me Keep up the good work, Thx BF for thinking of your fishes in the pond..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 26, 13 5:31 AM
I do occasionally like straight adventure games, but mostly like the combo of adventure, HOG, FROG, etc. This game is pretty much adventure. Graphics were nice, game play good. Didn't run across any HOGs during demo. Hint system the usual.

This game seemed to be a bit old school. A lot of running back and forth to the same location, a lot of clicking. I don't care to have my hand held through a game, but this was a game without any real direction or explanation of what is happening. No I did not buy the first game either, so maybe that's my problem.

Anyway, the game drug along too slowly for me and had no real challenge. Therefore, I will not be buying it, even with the great sale going on this weekend. Too bad, I really need to get rid of some credits.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 26, 13 8:11 AM
Let me start with; I really had to tear myself away from the demo to post this review and buy the game (for me a PCC, but worth a GC!)

It does have a bit of a dated feel, the screen is rather small - but neither of those details prevent it from being a good game. I'll echo cbtx it would be most helpful to play the first game...well...first, but you do get an overview of "what led you here" and that's helpful (for me it was enough of a reminder of the first game I don't feel like I have to go replay - if you never played the first...it may not be enough).

Game plays smoothly, cursor works well, movement between scenes is without lag. Graphics are well done!

No click penalties, so look at everything - sometimes you'll just get mildly interesting information, sometimes more.

The upshot is; it's a game worth trying! As with the first it has a great atmosphere and keeps you wondering "What's next?" It is a game that draws you in and makes you want to look around that "next corner"!

Give this one a go - if you're reluctant to close out to buy - you'll know you're as hooked as I am

Happy Gaming!

jessmom01
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jessmom01 on Jan 26, 13 9:39 AM
i've waited so long for this game... Just Brilliant, & a long time coming from a very small group, Ghost Ship games, with the talent of many. I do recommend playing the first Nightmare Adventures first even tho' this one gives a good recap via our heroine's diary before the adventure gets into full swing. The 1st game is a D&E lover's delight (i've played it 4 times! If you like this genre & haven't already, i'd say go for it - Sale weekend, right ), & tho' i haven't finished this one yet, i had to stop to give this a huge thumb's up & say it's just as good as the original. I've had smooth, glitch-free gaming so far, & am loving this adventure: HO-free with good puzzles, very nice clear graphics, & atmosphere-enhancing sound fx & music for this spooky game. I think the voiceovers & animations are really good. Like the 1st MA game, the storyline is interesting & imaginative with plenty of Creep Factor, & gameplay & storyline are well integrated. There's a helpful hint button, a camera that takes occasional pics that you'll be using, & a diary on a PDA. And again this dev shows they are adept at interjecting humor into a pretty creepy game, an aspect that i really like - it gives my goosebumps a reprieve during the course of the game This is straight adventure-lite (w/puzzles), so it's gonna play a bit differently than the HOgames. It may feel like slower play, maybe 'cause you're more engaged in trying to figure out what to do, where to go; you'll be on the move, searching, acquiring items, with brain fully engaged. Click on everything, more than once (no penalties) - you'll often be getting more than one piece of info, so stay alert to that. This is released as a SE, so no bonus stuff, except that, imo, a game like this is bonus enough. It's smart, engaging, really well done, & definitely worth giving it a try. I'd love for this dev to get a lot of support, 'cause they certainly have a lot to offer casual gaming. Mega kudos to the dev, & thanks to BFG for this excellent piece of work. Enjoy your gaming, folks!

Edited on 01/26/2013 at 4:40:11 PM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 26, 13 12:45 PM

Edited on 01/27/2013 at 3:52:58 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 26, 13 3:39 PM
REVIEW OF FINISHED GAME

I can’t remember much of the first game which I played and I recommend you play first but it’s not vital as there is a recap in a journal by the bed giving you a recap and there is a ‘story’ button; which was enough for me to vaguely remember the plot. I’m not going to give a comparison review as I don’t remember that much except that I really enjoyed it but I did think I preferred the adventure side better in the first game.

It leaves of from the first game and the ending in this game ensures there will be another game in this series. I actually don’t like that type of ending and I don’t like the dark witches or that side of the plot at all but I play this series as I love the puzzles and gameplay.

This is a very dark game, one of the darkest here at big fish, but thankfully the scenes with the witches etc aren’t in every scene or chapter. While I don’t like that side of the story, the overall story is very well done, with a lot of journal notes as well as cutscenes, so do read everything.

This overall is a very challenging game so if you usually play casual on a HOPA and like a bit easier games then I wouldn’t recommend this for you. There is no choice of modes to play but there is a skip and hint button and I thought both seem to charge quickly. There is a choice of a tutorial at the beginning. While the beginning of the game may even seem easy or straightforward, this game is hard for the average person.

There is no transporter map but as each chapter is quite contained you aren't hitting the back button for long periods of time but there are quite a few 4 or 5s in there. It would be nice to have one. The hint button is a "shows you if there is something you missed in a scene" type.

I’d class this as a 60/40 puzzle ratio to adventure game if you count the amount of time doing puzzles. Of course this ratio will change from person to person but I seem to have spent a huge amount of time doing puzzles. The ratio of hardness of a HOPA of puzzles is switched here as most puzzles were hard with only a few about medium and only a couple were easy and even then not that easy.

to be continued

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 26, 13 3:40 PM
Like what I have played so far. It takes a little more thought and guess I will have to try it. I remember playing something like this before and don't know if I ever bought it or finished it. Music creepy and storyline the same. So far I have had to use lots of hints and really don't like having to do that. Hints do reload fast which is a good thing. So I am on the fence about buying it?

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 26, 13 3:41 PM
continued

There were a couple of very hard puzzles in there but I think most would be able to work them out (as only those who like more of a challenge will buy this game.) But don’t despair if you don’t like that as I thought how they technically did the puzzles was brilliant as there was a multi-layer help system.

The hint button turned into a puzzle info button during puzzles giving you an over-view if you want it. On a lot of puzzles you either clicked on the photo or story button to give you a clue sometimes or the actual objective/what the puzzle should end up looking like or even the solution.

I loved this as you can get more of a challenge if needed but by using all of these ‘hints’ most of the puzzles although took me a while (most were 5 mins+) were comfortably solvable. Sometimes when I got round to hitting the hint button or the buttons on the left hand side, they were easier than I thought! And if you are really stumped there is a skip button or a walkthrough.

When you view each puzzle individually I don’t think many were real stompers but when put all of them together and some within a short period of time, that’s what made the game hard for me.

I don’t know if the gameplay itself from the middle to the end was actually hard, as I thought at the beginning it was very straightforward but because I played this game through in one sitting and must have expended my brain cells on the puzzles, the gameplay seemed to get harder!

The puzzles even ones that are well known are so different that it takes a while in a puzzle to realise the goal sometimes. Some are so well thought out and actually not hard at all once you realise the goal and that’s clever.
Even once it was making fun of hard puzzles - if anyone worked out the “integrate with respect to g” puzzle well done as I find it hard to count 2 + 2, I didn’t do it, but for the average person they weren’t supposed to and you might appreciate the humour when you come to it.

I usually hit the windows key in games and go out to record all numbers for reviews but this game is very slow in returning in and would take me about 30 secs to get back in, so be aware of that if you look at walkthroughs.

So my numbers for puzzles (has a skip button) are so far out and I mean really roughly there were about 38 puzzles. Quite a few interactions didn’t have any skip buttons.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 26, 13 3:42 PM
continued

There is one list HOS (and I think it’s the same in the first game how it’s done but not sure) and for people who hate HOS, even you I think will appreciate the humour of how it’s done. I thought that whole bit was so funny as I have just recently finished a game like that. There is a lot of humour throughout this game, and as this game is aimed at those who like a challenge I thought some of the sarcastic comments if you were trying something wrong were really funny.

The not so good –

Reviews aren’t for recording tech issues as the guidelines says but will mention the first chapter was a bit buggy and once when I entered the game again all the inventory went white. I played through it all which is why I am recommending it but try it first and check out the tech pages.

I will say that if ever a game was crying out for unlockable puzzles after the game, this one is. As there were puzzles I didn’t want to do at the time but knew if I didn’t do it, I couldn’t replay them later.

There are voiceovers sometimes in the game, the only exception is the small boxes cutscenes which I think is weird.

The graphics look really dated as if the game had been made years ago but were awaiting all the puzzles to slot into the game, as those puzzles most have taken ages to work out and do. I did not like the graphics but then again I thought it looked the same as in some recent games and some people were raving about the graphics, so it depends on your taste. I didn’t like them but the gameplay and difference of the game and the puzzles kept me engaged.

Time –8-9hrs. It was over 8hr could have been over 9hrs ? but it depends on how quick you are with puzzles. Some types I’m not that quick at. I’m just giving my time, some may finish in 5 others over 10hrs etc. I do think that even if you skip quite a few puzzles it is quite long. I was having tech problems and breaks, and recording numbers etc it could even be an hour shorter or longer.

If the graphics were better, and had unlockable puzzles I’d have no problem giving this 5 stars especially for a straight SE.

edit - In trying to be objective here (in parts) and giving info, I realised I came across as a bit cold and wanted to thank the DEVs for a hard puzzle game. They are so rare and I so appreciate it and wish you would make more, so thanks and well done! )

Edited on 01/26/2013 at 5:08:48 PM PST

dlcoyte
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by dlcoyte on Jan 26, 13 6:48 PM
HOrrible....

Graphics not sharp at all... I had to Blast speaker at the start to hear the people talking then had to turn sound Way down for rest..

I dont say that about most games that look kinda decent.... Did NOt Like one bit. Wish i did.. have two free game credits.

THe MAIN REASON FOR MY DISLIKE: Mini games with tons of #s or symbols and NO Instructions whatsoever. If you cant by chance figure it out you have to skip... Some voice overs other spots you have to read read, read... Start was a horrible bore.. by the time i was a bit into it i was on like my 3rd mini game with no guidance to how to solve. and even if I can figure one out I didnt figure them all and skipped a few... Not how I want to play. I want to play the mini games and not skip...

Not even worth a freebie for me.. See a few 5stars... not sure why...

Edited on 01/26/2013 at 6:51:11 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 27, 13 5:31 AM
2nd series in the Nightmare Adventures. Just as fun, dark scary scenes, not much HOGs, rather difficult mini puzzles that require some patience and brains

Great graphics (I tuned out the music, so dont know whether there was some). Major grips: When I got the phone number for the amulet (1st scene), I was expecting that I could refer to my phone/photos for the number, instead it was not stored and I had to write this down, before calling. I thought the purpose of the phone was some sort of journals

But I still love THIS

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Jan 27, 13 7:27 PM
What dlcoyte said. This game had too many puzzles with inadequate instructions, and the "help" was not helpful at all, in most cases.

Normally, I never skip puzzles, nor do I use a walkthrough. But the puzzles in the latter part of this game (IIRC the "Containment" part) were so frustrating that I ended up skipping most of them. Then I resorted to the walkthrough just to finish the thing already. For me, it was too many math/number/symbol puzzles; I stink at math and don't like those at all. I had no trouble with the puzzles in the medieval chapter - figuring out which demons got which items, nor with the slider puzzles. But door code after door code after door code, all math-based with no instructions, gets boring after awhile.

I played the first game in this series, but I don't remember it at all. I bought this one sight unseen, and should probably have known better, except that the beginning of it was pretty decent, if a bit dated-looking.

I did have a technical issue: At the beginning of the chapter where Keira goes to the medieval-looking place, the game informed me that my profile had become corrupted and was deleted. Gee, thanks! Fortunately, it was early enough in the game that I was able to start a new profile and catch up to where I was, fairly quickly. I will also post that in the "technical issues" thread.

I did like the beginning of the game. But the last part requires a higher frustration tolerance than I possess! YMMV, of course.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 29, 13 6:11 AM

Edited on 01/29/2013 at 9:25:17 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 30, 13 10:25 AM
Well, here's one HOG fan that really enjoyed this "adventure lite".
When we started getting HOPAs instead of pure HOGs, I was'so
totally confused in the Adventure parts, but I kept trying and it
started to make more sense. Now, HOPAs have become my
favorite and I enjoy a nice mixture of HOs, Puzzles/minis and
Adventure but, haven't liked or bought any of the Adventure onlys
that I've tried. But, oh my, the puzzles in this game and the first
one have me hooked. Not at all easy, and quite a few "peeks"
at the W/T to get me started, but really enjoy completing them
rather than skipping. Been quite a while since I've gone to
"the paper and pencil" to work them out. I even made nine
little squares, to work out the ABC, 123 one.

I do wish the puzzles were available after you finish the
game as I'd like to give another try to the ones that I
did end up skipping. Oh well, maybe after a few months,
I'll just replay the game.

Now, to try and find another "Adventure Lite" to suit me as
well as this one.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Feb 1, 13 1:58 PM
I remembered in detail playing the first one, Witch's Prison, once I started on this sequel and it all came flooding back. I remember I loved that one and I also loved this one.

For an SE, it is a long, absorbing game with (for me, at least) an interesting storyline and some great puzzles that actually make you use your brain. The ending ensures that there will be a third.

It should be noted that this game is not listed as a Hidden Object Game, but as an Adventure game. It is, in fact, Adventure Lite/Puzzles. There is only one hidden object scene which appears more as tongue-in-cheek humour rather than anything else. Gamers who love their hidden object scenes will be disappointed. The puzzles are challenging, on the whole. Some more so than others. The humour throughout was much appreciated, thank you developers.

If you wish to give your brain a workout (all in about 7 to 8 hours), then I'd thoroughly recommend it. This is not a 'hold-you-by-the-hand' walk in the park which, for me, made a very nice change from the norm.

Go to: