Reviews for Royal Defense

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Royal Defense

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 28, 13 12:26 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Royal Defense? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Royal Defense page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Royal Defense

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jan 28, 13 12:27 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 28, 13 1:20 AM
This game would have been nice if the $ u get from hitting the enemies are higher. The starting capital is so pathetic that its suicidal to start a defence. More like royal pain in the ......

Horrible game, designed to let you lost. There are even some levels whereby the system gave u the only defence system that is lousy and NO CASH whatsoever. If u sell that system, u get abt half back which is just abt enough to buy ONE miserable system

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Jan 28, 13 7:04 AM
Enjoyable game, where you have to think tactical against which weapons will best defeat the enemy.

I say "enjoyable"....... but only up until a certain point. Then it suddenly gets VERY hard. I am on level 11 and have tried this level at least 10 times and cannot get past about the 3rd wave!!! It's ridiculous, and I am playing on EASY!!!
Easy?? Yeah, right.

Me:

Put lots of dart guns with minimum power - die
Put lots of cannons - death
Put combinations - expire
Put only a couple of dart guns to slow and power to max, add cannon for strength - shuffle off mortal coil
Put couple of dart guns to max plus artillery - cease to exist
Put dart guns on "power-up" and use gems, plus cannon and artillery - stiff
Max out cannons only - kick the bucket
Max out dart guns only - Shuffle off mortal coil
Use combo of all three - push up daisies
Put guns in place where they have the most range - snuff it

The only useful thing is that I have played that stupid level so many times that I keep getting gems and can buy more power-ups.

But I still.....wait for it.....DIE! Bet you got a shock at that.

In fact, I have died.

I like this kind of games, and I understand that they are supposed to get harder. I also understand that it might just be me who is just rubbish! But this was on EASY!!
I am sick of buying these kinds of games, and the developers suddenly seem to make the game almost unplayable after you've bought the game after your free hour. This is the third game (of this type) that this has happened to me, where the game suddenly comes unplayable a couple of levels after purchasing. I am enjoying the challenge, the game is fun and at a reasonable level of difficulty, then BANG! I get stuck on a level, not just a couple of times where I have to restart, but 10 times, at least? Come on! If I get through this level, is it going to get even harder?
My little men in the castle might just fancy a party, so that is why all the enemy get through. Or they could be on a mission of peace? Or do they think they my little men will defeat the enemy with nasty words and pointy sticks?

Sadly, no. Yet again[b], I have wasted my money on a game that, at first, I enjoyed, then suddenly it becomes unplayable.

Sorry this may become duplicated in the other review section.

Edited on 01/28/2013 at 7:05:27 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 28, 13 10:11 AM
Spoiler Alert depending on how much information you want/don't want to know .

This game doesn't fill my widescreen but at least the edges of the game are clearly defined and, while playing, I wasn't conscious of the patterned borders at all but they were much more acceptable than a black screen when I did look .

There are 40 levels and each level comprises of several waves of enemies (thankfully with a small breathing space inbetween LOL) and there is an interesting mixture of enemy types to battle.

So far I have played 11 levels on the Easy setting but this game is definitely not easy on this setting so I dread to think how difficult the Normal and Hard settings will be .

You need two things in this game ...

Money ... which can be earned slowly by building a mine or by killing the trolls and you can buy towers and upgrades with it.

Gems ... which are earned by completing a level and successfully defending your castle while an odd one or two can be collected here and there from killing the trolls ... or replaying failed levels .

There is a Store where, not only can you buy Powerups for your towers, but you can also buy Spells and 'Common' items. The spells 'inflict damage' and do recharge during play but take varying amounts of time. The common items increase your start capital, get more money from the monsters and increase your castle durability.

I wish there was a custom cursor because the cursor is a standard system type but is smaller than the one that I am looking at while typing this and several times I was whizzing my hand backwards and forwards trying to spot it's arrow shape so that I could click it on the spot I wanted to build a tower on or hit the pause button. Needless to say the enemy didn't wait for me to see it the fiends. I don't know if altering my computer settings will make it larger but I won't change them just to play one game and then have to change it back when I'm not playing.

This is a fun game and I have enjoyed playing it so far, whether I will get any further remains to be seen as to what the enemy is when my wrist has recovered from me overdoing game playing the last few days.

Cherb

[Post New]by butterfly3943 on Jan 28, 13 12:00 PM

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 1:40:20 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 28, 13 2:12 PM

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 1:46:28 AM PST

[Post New]by ckelley16 on Jan 28, 13 3:13 PM

Edited on 02/01/2013 at 2:50:30 AM PST

[Post New]by CasualGamePlayer on Jan 28, 13 7:17 PM
This is a Tower Defence/ Strategy game that looked promising but I’m afraid I found it to be a frustrating experience and feel it was a wasted opportunity as I could see the game had potential.

There are three levels of play; easy, normal and hard. I played on easy and it was not easy for me, I consider myself an intermediate player but this ‘easy‘ level left me feeling like I was a total beginner. Perhaps I was missing something in the tutorial but there was not enough money/funds to buy weapons and right from the start there was a stream of enemies invading the fort/castle. If you start out at a disadvantage like that it seems to me to be almost impossible to ‘catch up’ so to speak. After that first level the pace did not let up, so a very steep learning curve all in the ‘easy’ level. I can’t imagine how normal level would be and will not even consider ‘hard’.

I only took the trial up to five levels as I felt increasingly frustrated at the game play, no amount of strategy on my part could overcome the lack of funds/money. Perhaps I am not a skilful enough player at these kinds of games but I would have thought that ‘easy’ level would not be quite so frustrating. I didn’t finish the hour as I just didn’t feel like playing any longer. A pity as I could see the potential of a good game there ….somewhere. Graphics are pleasant enough, the menu had a wide a variety of weapons, spells and with forty levels it looked promising. I can only say those of you that are curious by all means take advantage of the free trial maybe you will fare better.

[Post New]by Dalohnfish on Jan 28, 13 11:37 PM

Edited on 01/29/2013 at 2:11:17 AM PST

cosmoscos
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by cosmoscos on Jan 29, 13 5:31 AM
I only bought this game because it was deemed impossible by a friend, and I took that as a challenge.

SOME levels are near on impossible to get a perfect score (11 and 16 grrrrrrrr). But in between levels tend to be easy to medium difficulty. On the levels you have nothing to sell and no money, remember your spells.

You also get money if you start the wave off early (remember you can place weapons when it's paused!). Other than that you earn it when you kill things. You get gems sometimes to buy upgrades.

This is a strategy game where certain weapons are needed for certain enemies and you have slots to put them in. Your goal is to kill them all before they get to the tower.

I like the graphics and the enemies, though I hate the dragons with a passion.

You need to pay attention to what each weapon does, and what it upgrades to.

Overall this is a good but incredibly frustrated game. Now I need to get back to defeating level 11. Good luck!

[Post New]by gamingaddiction on Jan 30, 13 12:27 PM
I enjoy tower defense games but this one was not good. Unfortunately, I purchased this game. I did complete all levels...there are only 40. I got 3 stars on all but the very last one...but this was on the easy setting.

This game is exceptionally hard even on the easy setting. I also felt like there could be more levels. Unless there is some surprise if I get three stars on the last level, that is it. Not a good game investment.

This is not a game I will choose to revisit and I doubt I will even keep trying to get that third star. I am sure if I kept at I would get enough crystals to make spells, towers, etc. more effective but this game just doesn't beckon me enough to put in the effort.

Give this one a pass.

Update: Ok...boredom and the fact that I hate letting a game "beat me" did make me go back to the game. I have finished easy, normal and hard on all 40 levels with 3 stars. It actually becomes quite easy for most of it once you have some of the upgrades. My opinion of the game is slightly better than my initial opinion. I do think it is kind of backwards...the easy setting to me was the hardest. The game went quite quickly since there are only 40 levels. A good game investment for me is a game that makes me want to return to it periodically and this isn't gonna be one. Now that I completed all levels with three stars, I am done. My overall opinion though is that this game is ok...it takes patience and determination to make this game playable.

Edited on 02/01/2013 at 9:50:24 PM PST

saratt
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by saratt on Jan 30, 13 3:20 PM

Edited on 02/01/2013 at 2:49:54 AM PST

[Post New]by electricfish on Jan 31, 13 7:12 AM
This game is a challenge! It's a lot harder than I expected it to be, which is a refreshing change from many of this type of game. There is a lot of strategy involved and you may have to play some levels many times in order to finally achieve gold.

I do wish the "easy" level were the "normal" level and that it was possible to play it through once on a legitimately easy setting in order to figure out what all the towers and spells do against each type of enemy, and/or that there was a more comprehensive guide to what each type and level of tower is able to do (I tend to click through the pop-up windows too quickly, but these only had minimal information anyway, so I'm not sure reading them more carefully would help any).

Overall, great game with lots and lots of play value if you aren't easily frustrated, lol.

I guess I'd rate it a 4 out 5 stars (just because I think it could use a user guide).

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Jan 31, 13 2:53 PM
This game has two campaigns, each with 20 levels. The second campaign unlocked when I finished level 20 of the first campaign in easy mode.

There are three difficulty modes (easy, normal, and hard) The only difference I could tell is that the monsters have a few more hit points in the harder modes. It is very easy to select a given level in a given difficulty mode for play/replay. The game keeps track of how you did for each level in each mode, so it's really keeping track of 120 levels. A level unlocks once you've played the previous one in that difficulty mode.

You randomly get gems during play, and these can be used to buy upgrades. The upgrade will then apply to all levels of all modes. You can also use gems to buy extra spaces on the map of a particular level. These spaces often boost the range and/or damage of a tower placed there. If you replay, or play the same level in different mode, that space will still be unlocked. You can replay levels as much as you want for more gems. You can buy up to five levels of each upgrade.

Once a new tower/spell has been unlocked, you can replay a previous level (of that difficulty mode) and it will still be unlocked, so you can try out your new toy on old levels. It needs to be unlocked separately for each mode, though.

The tutorial was OK, but it took me a while to figure out that some tower types were actually a third upgrade of an existing type.

g_abriele
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by g_abriele on Feb 4, 13 10:52 AM
I loved the game ... I got all levels on "easy" mode without any loss :-) ..

The level, where you had to start without money, I chose to kill the first animals with the powerups so you had something to start with ... the ideal position of the weapons helps too.

It isn't really hard to play - but it definetely helps to check out the tutorial

I had "master of defense" first (long time ago), which I liked - but my ancient pc couldn't handle the graphics on the last levels. Then I tried "towers of Oz" but ... graphic probs ... I think "royal defense" is nice and it works !

g_abriele
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by g_abriele on Feb 4, 13 10:56 AM
gamingaddiction wrote:I enjoy tower defense games

Any tips? I am looking for more games like this ...

... and good to hear you cleared it at last :-)

[Post New]by Creepycrawler on Feb 12, 13 11:12 AM
I am loving Royal Defense!!!! You can replay any level to power up or get more gems and then your weapons really pack a punch. I can't stop playing, I need to get dressed and get on with my day. Really a wonderful game! Made my month!

[Post New]by helpgameproblem on Feb 15, 13 1:31 AM
ive got three stars each lvl of the forgotten fields but snow mountain wont unlock ive paid for game so dont get it ive got 60/60 there nothing else to do is this a bug?

Edited on 02/15/2013 at 1:32:04 AM PST

xdolphine
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by xdolphine on Feb 15, 13 6:34 PM
Complete the Forgotten Fields levels,

This game is truly challenging, frustrating, but really enjoyable.
Kingdom Rush style, and I am loving it.

Play on Easy mode, still don't get 3 stars every level on Forgotten Fields, but no problems, I love to replay levels.

love it

Go to: