Cards13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

Zen Games Ishidoku good idea poor execution of concept

[Post New]by Cards13 on Mar 15, 09 3:39 PM
The idea of the Ishidoku game is a very good one. The idea is to place stones into the grid of boxes such that there is only one in each column and only one in each row. Sort of like sudoku but not without numbers. Since everyone knows how to count to 9 - relatively easy to determine which number is missing. When dealing with "unusual" looking stones, it is harder. I really liked the idea of the game, but the execution of the idea is poor.
In the initial instructions - all of one sentence - the word column is misspelled. There are NO OTHER instructions. I spent much of the hour demo trying to determine what any decent help menu should tell you. You earn coins - I have no idea what the significance of them is. I do not enjoy having to spend much of demo to determine information that should have been given to you in a help menu.

In addition, you can not save your games when you exit - so why bother with a scoring system? When you re-enter the game it asks if you want to start a new game? Then the game always has the same message regarding "current level scores & progress will be deleted", but if say no -- can not retrived any past games anyway. Apparently always get this message even if no past games available, but why would you start new a game if you have not exited the game?

Most frustrating is the game only recognizes one solution. At the lower levels there are more than one solution to the puzzule - but if your solution is not the game's solution the clock continues and you can not progress to the next level until you start over.

As for the Hexajong portion of the game, there is no choice of tiles ( as almost all other Mah-Jong games offer) and not tell you how many open matches. In addition, only one of the tiles needs to be "open" to make a match which I found far too easy. {Sorry sweetlove (another commentor) I never got to level 5 before time ran out}

For my money I would buy the game just for the Ishidoku portion of the game if they would fix losing all scores and memory of games played when you exit the game. I have no desire to start from the beginning each time especially if only one solution is going to be recognized at the lower levels.

Good Idea - but as the game presently is - no thank you.

Edited on 03/15/2009 at 3:43:01 PM PST

Fixing the problem of restarting a new game each time.

[Post New]by caseymaefriend on Sep 13, 09 7:58 AM
Zen Games will allow you to exit and return to continue the game(level) you were on previously if you do not delete or clean up the temporary user files on your hard drive. However, I cannot figure out which file(s) are the ones to keep. I like to keep my PC clean especially when gaming, but if you want to play this game to finish it, you cannot clean up your temp files. If anyone knows which file to save, please post it. This game has much potential, but definitely needs a severe upgrade to work properly. I hate paying for games that do not have the bugs worked out. Please provide an upgrade for this game or tell us the files to be wary of.

Re:Welcome to Zen Games forum

[Post New]by tandemv on Oct 29, 09 12:42 PM
I love the game, but I am having technical difficulties! My game locks up when it tries to load level 3-5. I have to start task manager and end the task to get out.

[Post New]by Solanth on Dec 2, 09 7:20 AM
I cannot get past Hexajong level 2.5 or 2.6! I have replayed both these levels at least 20 times and the tile configuration is always the same - unsolvable because the matches are buried beneath each other.
This is very frustrating as i quite like the game but its pretty useless to me if i can't progress to any higher levels.

[Post New]by lancecrush on Jan 25, 10 6:41 PM
My game freezes on level 3:5 as well. Please someone at Big Fish tell us how to fix this glitch. We are not getting to play the whole game!

[Post New]by Lene67 on Feb 27, 10 3:05 PM
Has anyone finished level 5.5 of Zen? I've done this level about 8 times and can not pass it. I have only taken the top of the pyramid only twice. otherwise I am never able to clear any of it. Any help would be appriciated.

bridlepath
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by bridlepath on Mar 12, 10 6:17 PM
I too am stuck on 5.5, and I think there is a glitch because you need at least one of the field tiles to match the one on top and there never is one, therefore you can never clear the pile and always lose.

[Post New]by ladynammy on Mar 12, 10 6:42 PM
When I tried to download 'Dark Parables', my computer gave 6 VIRUS WARNINGS . Has anyone else experienced this?

dancebear
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by dancebear on Apr 17, 11 5:37 AM
This game has potential but currently it has too many problems to be really good. Its to hard to advance in the hexjong levels because the layout is generated so there is no possibility of winning. The second seems to work better but is not one that I would have bought the game for.

The hexjong is a good idea but needs work.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Apr 6, 12 3:11 PM
Was enjoying this game BUT I had to exit!!!
couldn't find an exit button!
what am I missing???
!!!!!HELP!!!!!

[Post New]by Madie_2 on Apr 14, 12 11:35 AM
Lene67 wrote:Has anyone finished level 5.5 of Zen? I've done this level about 8 times and can not pass it. I have only taken the top of the pyramid only twice. otherwise I am never able to clear any of it. Any help would be appriciated.

[Post New]by 11cricket11 on Sep 11, 13 10:02 PM
I have finally passed those levels and are on level 6-7 so it is possible. I had to play them about 50 times which is just a waste of time. What is impossible is 6-7, about 100 goes at it, and no success. Has anybody succeeded? A waste of money if you can't move forward.

Go to: