bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Grim Tales: The Stone Queen

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 1, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Grim Tales: The Stone Queen? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Grim Tales: The Stone Queen page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Stone Queen

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 1, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 1, 13 12:39 AM
Looking to check out the reviews for the CE version of this game?

No problem - just click here!

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 1, 13 9:53 AM
I guess I will review this SE.

Graphics/Art is outstanding...beautiful

Music is enjoyable

There are voiceovers

The adventure/story is interesting/enjoyable. You have a lot to do in the story, not just find items on a HO menu

You can jump with the map along with using it to show you what needs done where

HO's are easy enough, on the light side for searching and there are some that are interactive on the list. Not crammed full' that I can tell. I am about 1/2 way done tho

Puzzles are plentiful, some are a bit' difficult for me, but you can always skip them if you like. They are unique for the most part and enjoyable.

I have to say, I like this series and this one stands firm in it's quality and story.

Thanks to the dev's and to BF. Quite a great SE offering.

4 1/2 's out of five in my book. Unless it ends with all HO's for filler of game play

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Feb 1, 13 11:41 AM
The game doesn't seem to be up to the standards of the other games in this series. I'm disappointed.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 1, 13 2:12 PM
Well I left a review after playing the CE demo. I did go ahead and purchase the SE and I can't say my feelings about the game have changed much. Graphics were very nice and there was a jump map which this game most definately needed because you were all over the place which is one of the main complaints. This game did not flow well from one place to another. I would find myself sitting here with a completely alien piece of inventory that I had no idea where it belonged. I ended up using the hint (which recharged very quickly) a lot, just to figure out where to go next and because I started losing patience after awhile and just wanted it to "get on with it". The map did have tasks attached, but that didn't help sometimes. Way too many inventory items at one time.

The mini games were a nightmare. Some were OK but others just didn't make sense and the instructions were....well they just weren't. I skipped almost all of theml, thanks to a fast charging skip too. What a mess.

Story was cute....

I basically can't give a game a really good rating when I have the feeling I just want the game to get over with and I am feeling frustration which is what I felt during this game. I give it a 2.5 out of 5 - mostly because the graphics were pretty and it had a good map, hint and skip...but this was not a well put together, smooth flowing game.

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Feb 4, 13 11:14 AM
Based on DEMO

The game is beautiful with interesting story

The help is completely ....helpful, with 1)hint system that clearly tells you what you need to do 2) map that shows you where there is action and 3) when you point on the map it gives you even more help. So you can get as much help as you wish.

The length is decent. Five hours for a normal player like me according to the walkthrough.

Graphics and scenes are very beautiful.

Mini games up to now were very clear to me with explanations and everything.

Of course at some point you may have a few more items in the inventory and many places to visit. However a game must have a little difficulty, it must make us use our mind, challenge us a little.

All in all, it is a very good game and I will buy it,

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Feb 5, 13 10:03 AM
this is my input for future improvements, just minor things, i guess.

the game itself is beautifully made, i was quite surprised by the detail and artistic make up. the characters were lovely, especially the three small goblins. there were few funny moments, such as the blacksmith that beated tiny items with its huge hammer to mend them. the voice overs were truly lovely to listen to. and when i thought that i came to an end of the game, it continued - a nice little surprise. but the final ending was quite short and not quite fitting the whole game in comparison how much effort the developers put into making it all.

more critique:

1. firstly, i did not like the reset or continue offer, as there is a risk that one will click on reset by mistake and can start again. not a good idea.

2. i believe the developers were trying to make the characters look like they were living and they incorporated the breathing movements into their body... i would prefer them to avoid it as it looked funny after all. too mechanic.

3. the welding glitch or omission was annoying. the poor goblin kept welding even after the piston was replaced and the mechanism worked. what is more, the sound of welding was heard all the way during solving the puzzle there and it kept welding till the end of the game. what a shame they forgot to mend this.

4. someone has already mentioned some illogical actions in terms of using the items. i truly do not understand why the scare crow had to be burned to get the hexagon key?

5. i am not sure what caused the cursor moving rather slowly during the game and it froze once completely.

that is it.
i liked this game and it reminded me the mystery trackers beautiful make. keep on doing a great job devs.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 5, 13 10:14 AM
we rate this game a 5 out of 5 stars, it is a long and lasting game. it is well worth the money.-----------doug & lisa

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Feb 6, 13 7:37 AM
While I disagree with some of the previous reviews it's all about what you like. I was impressed with this game. Excellent length and complexity. Plenty of things to do and very enjoyable.IMHO a great value for an SE.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 7, 13 2:27 PM
I was very pleasantly surprised by the length and (as Donq47 above me stated) the complexity of this game. A good story line with amusing interesting creatures to deal with, more interesting than the people. Many varied locations and tasks with lots of back and forth travel. The jump map was very useful for that. Lots of inventory items to keep track of. A few puzzles I skipped (quickly irritated by the battle puzzle). Nice artwork and a long game that kept me entertained most of the day. But then this developer always creates games that I find entertaining.

NatalyWho
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by NatalyWho on Feb 18, 13 6:56 AM
Good thing!

[Post New]by HaroldPutter on Feb 18, 13 7:25 AM
Great story, beautiful graphics, HOG's and the mini-games are innovative without being brain-numbing, earn achievements ... no glitches. This is a buy for me.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 20, 13 10:48 PM
bessiegirl wrote:This game did not flow well from one place to another. I would find myself sitting here with a completely alien piece of inventory that I had no idea where it belonged. I ended up using the hint (which recharged very quickly) a lot, just to figure out where to go next and because I started losing patience after awhile and just wanted it to "get on with it".

I basically can't give a game a really good rating when I have the feeling I just want the game to get over with and I am feeling frustration which is what I felt during this game. I give it a 2.5 out of 5 - mostly because the graphics were pretty and it had a good map, hint and skip...but this was not a well put together, smooth flowing game.

I agree with the above, but I would only give it a 2 minus. I did not finish the demo. I usually like this series, but not this one.

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Feb 23, 13 8:16 AM
Succumbed to boredom and a sale and bought this, but I can't finish. It's just not enjoyable. Have to use the hint and skip buttons too much as things just don't make sense.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Feb 27, 13 3:13 PM
I see some mixed reviews here but I found the game thoroughly enjoyable all the way through.

The map for jumping from place to place was not just a big help - it was essential !!

The graphics were superb as usual, expect nothing less from this dev.

A good mix of HO scenes and puzzles, and not too many of either. This makes for a nice change because some devs pack too many of each into a game just to fill it up and make the time.

The hint button got a fair amount of use but it was very helpful and filled quickly.

Very pleased I bought this game.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Feb 27, 13 3:16 PM
I play a ton of these style games and they all seem to meld into one. This one, I somehow like much more than the rest. Maybe because it's a little less occultish - lighter, somehow, even though it does have people turning to stone. The third of this series (the wishes) had a little kid morphing into a demon and I didn't really like that.

It's got a great interface, nice map, excellent graphics, and intriging fairy tale type story. Out of the entire series of "Grim Tales", this one is my favorite and I like it very much. I especially like the minigames - they are a little different and one had a nonogram type number puzzle to open a safe which was neat. I'm not big into hidden object collecting so not having little hidden things to find is just fine with me. I like the adventure and I do like logic based puzzles.

I'd recommend this one. 5 stars from me. Thanks developers, I think you did good on this one.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Mar 21, 13 8:37 PM
bessiegirl wrote:Well I left a review after playing the CE demo. I did go ahead and purchase the SE and I can't say my feelings about the game have changed much. Graphics were very nice and there was a jump map which this game most definately needed because you were all over the place which is one of the main complaints. This game did not flow well from one place to another. I would find myself sitting here with a completely alien piece of inventory that I had no idea where it belonged. I ended up using the hint (which recharged very quickly) a lot, just to figure out where to go next and because I started losing patience after awhile and just wanted it to "get on with it". The map did have tasks attached, but that didn't help sometimes. Way too many inventory items at one time.

The mini games were a nightmare. Some were OK but others just didn't make sense and the instructions were....well they just weren't. I skipped almost all of theml, thanks to a fast charging skip too. What a mess.

very good review, i could not have agreed more!

Story was cute....

sorcha1970
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Did Not Enjoy

[Post New]by sorcha1970 on Mar 29, 13 8:44 AM
I have played the other Grim Tales. They were good, long and challenging.

One of the only ways I knew to go anywhere was the hint button.

The fix of the saw blade and the bone involved going from place to place.

The map was nice. That saved the soles of my shoes while looking for where I was supposed to be.

Some of the puzzles had instructions that made no sense. I skipped more than I have in any other game.

I could have gone to the walkthrough but due to screen sizing I would have been quiting the game a lot.

Along with others, I do not like the reset or continue when you re-enter the game.
I have done reset on another game and almost cried.

In the end, I removed the game before finishing.

I am very glad I waited for the SE.

Acher
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Stone Queen spoiler

[Post New]by Acher on Apr 21, 13 11:40 AM
I thought this game was okay until I got to the part where they forced me to assemble a rifle. I did not like that at all. Also, it was a bit erratic moving from one place to another and back. There was a level of frustration as well. I would have finished except for the gun issue.

Go to: