bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

UPDATE! New PC version available - February 1, 2013

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Feb 1, 13 2:05 PM
Hi Fishies,

We now have an update available for the PC version of Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn! This new version of the game includes the following:

- Minimizing the game window during loading screens should not create issues, such as blocked progress
- 'Invisible' inventory items, where an item would be present in the inventory and usable, but could not be seen, should no longer be an issue
- Addresses issues of crashing while loading .
- Addresses the frozen 'Reloading Textures' bar.

To get this latest version of the game, please uninstall and reinstall the game. You can find more information on doing that here on our help article:

Uninstall / Reinstall a Game

If you have any further questions or problems with this update or the game, please let our Tech Support Team know and they'll be happy to help.

Happy gaming!

bfgSeine

Edited on 02/01/2013 at 3:27:49 PM PST

MrsBruce32
Salmon
Salmon
2,697 Posts

Re:UPDATE! New PC version available - February 1, 2013

[Post New]by MrsBruce32 on Feb 1, 13 8:24 PM
Thank you. I am dowlnoading the new version now.

Edited on 02/01/2013 at 8:26:24 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 1, 13 9:35 PM
Wow, good thing I decided to check here one more time...didn't get a notice of rebuild in the GM. Thanks, BF, I am uninstalling and will try it again.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 1, 13 9:54 PM
It didn't work...only difference is I once again had the extinguisher, but the screen was black, and when I clicked hint it sparkled in the vicinity of where it was supposed to be used...and why do I know that? I had already passed that point when I played the game to begin with. I was on Chapter 3 in the lab when I quit. And hasn't worked since. Not even the new build. Has it worked for anyone?

[Post New]by iluvgames55 on Feb 1, 13 11:15 PM
It didn't work for me either. The first time I was at the end of the game trying to open the box when the game crashed and caused my computer to blue screen. I uninstalled the game and downloaded the "fixed" version of the game. Of course my saved file from before was corrupt and I had to start all over again. After creating a new profile, I got as far as entering the elevator then suddenly my screen went black and the game froze. I had to do a control alt delete to get out of the game because it was froze. The fix did NOT work; in fact, it's worse now than it was before. The only thing that worked better was the "loading textures" message. It loaded faster, but nothing else is fixed. I'm not a happy camper at this point.

[Post New]by unclereg on Feb 2, 13 5:48 AM
I've got my Game Manager set to automatically check for updates. How come that didn't work?

sapphire46
Manatee
Manatee
3,740 Posts

[Post New]by sapphire46 on Feb 2, 13 10:33 AM
This hasn't worked for me......I am stuck I think at chapter 6, Trying to give Abby chocolate, But it will not accept it, keeps telling me to talk to her. I have checked the walkthrough to make sure I have done everything right, and I have. Have uninstalled and installed the new version...doesn't work!!!! I have had no problems up until now, unlike some of you....This is soooo frustrating !!! What a waste of a day.....
It's not my computer....So please BF don't try and blame it....This game is seriously glitched...these should have been sorted before given to us to purchase.
Has anybody finished the game? The person who wrote the walkthrough must have, how come there were no glitches there.
I will come back to try again, but at the moment I am too cross.....If it is still the same I will be asking for a refund credit...

ETA I went back and tried again and found I had to have the speech window open to give Abby the chocolate. Everything was fine from then on No problems. Silly me !!
Forgive me for my outburst, but there were soo many problems people were having, I thought this was another.

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 1:19:07 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Feb 2, 13 10:35 AM
So what does she say if you start a conversation with her? I think she has to ask you for the chocolate before you can use it on her.
ETA I played the original version twice from beginning to end, the second time without skipping any puzzles.

Edited on 02/02/2013 at 10:53:28 AM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 2, 13 10:54 AM
I've not had time to play yet, but opening the game after reinstalling showed the same inventory from several days ago. So it would appear that I will have to start over again, which makes sense, of course. I'm hoping that things will go smoother when I play a second time and do thank you for the updated version.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 2, 13 1:44 PM
Bummer that we have to start over again and not be able to just update from where we left off. Oh well.

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Feb 2, 13 2:02 PM
Hi Fishies,

I'm sorry to hear that the update didn't resolve some of the issues you're seeing. If you're experiencing problems after installing this latest version, please let our Tech Support Team know what's happening. With more information, we can look into what's causing those problems and hopefully find a way to get the game working for you.

I hope that helps,

bfgSeine

HoneyVegas
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by HoneyVegas on Feb 2, 13 4:16 PM
well the fix didn't work, and as I'd purchased the game and left it in the game stub hoping for a fix, I'm more than a little cross that i had to come looking for a patch (again) - please let me know when I can play the game I've paid for!! Alternatively, refund all affected customers!!!

scalad
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by scalad on Feb 2, 13 5:06 PM
I didn't know that the game restarted from the beginning otherwise I would have not re-installed. Not happy. I will not be playing the game for a while now.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 3, 13 6:53 AM
The first time I played this game, I must have been at least half way through the game before an inventory item disappeared. This morning, when trying the updated version, I hadn't played 10 minutes when the game froze up on me when trying to open a mailed package with a knife. What a shame.

Tu22
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Tu22 on Feb 3, 13 8:11 AM
[u]Waited over a week for an improved new PC version, but just like the initial release, this version will still NOT allow the game to even begin loading! Shouldn't someone at BF have checked out this "new version," before putting it out to us PAYING customers (again)?!? Poor business practices indeed. Quite disappointing to say the least. This game is absolutely useless. Please do NOT waste your time, or hard earned money, on this unplayable game!

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Feb 3, 13 1:25 PM
Hi Fishies,

I'm sorry to see you're still having problems with this game even after getting the update.

If you haven't already done so, please get in touch with our Tech Support Team so they can see what might be causing this trouble. For instance, it could be that some of the files from the older version are hanging around and continue to interfere with the gameplay.

You can contact them by clicking here to submit a support ticket via email. If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

Thanks so much!

bfgMonongahela

[Post New]by SyrensSong on Feb 6, 13 2:27 PM
Has anyone tried the update and played after getting the black screen then "corrupted profile, user profile deleted" message with that ridiculous smiley at the end when your a good way into the game? Wondering cos' I don't want to update and play half the game and see that stupid smiley after my profile/game progress has been deleted.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Feb 7, 13 11:10 AM
Just reinstalled and screen went black as soon as I reached ARCANE building. Going to contact CS again and just ask for a credit. I don't want to start over yet again

Sher_lock
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Sher_lock on Feb 12, 13 6:14 PM
SyrensSong wrote:Has anyone tried the update and played after getting the black screen then "corrupted profile, user profile deleted" message with that ridiculous smiley at the end when your a good way into the game? Wondering cos' I don't want to update and play half the game and see that stupid smiley after my profile/game progress has been deleted.

I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't downloaded the update because it hasn't worked for so many. And, I haven't heard that it's helped anyone with the "corrupted profile" issue. If there's anyone that it has worked for, please let us know. Thanks!

pcpat923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pcpat923 on Feb 15, 13 11:03 AM
One of my inventory items did disappear but I hovered pointer within inventory area and the words stated item was in my inventory but was invisible and just didn't show. I was able to use the inventory item nonetheless and go on with the game--was my only issue.

Certainly not a "worthless game" at a mere $6.99 while value is much higher imho.

On the other hand, all games could be considered worthless especially if they take away from our work, school work, house work and interaction with our family and friends, etc. pcpat

Go to: