Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

Has anyone finished this game?

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Feb 2, 13 7:16 PM
I'm very much enjoying this game after going into withdrawl having played The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire twice (highly recommended game by me).

I'm at the level "Merry Brigand," and so far I haven't had to repeat a level (the game doesn't allow you to repeat a single hand unless it's the first in a level).

If you've finished the game, would you mind answering a few questions:

How long is it?
Does it become frustrating/impossible near or at the end?
Which power-ups would you recommend to purchase?

Thanks so much,
Sherry in Oregon

Edited on 02/02/2013 at 7:25:20 PM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Has anyone finished this game?

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Feb 5, 13 2:29 PM
I can't get past some of the earlier levels... and it is an understatement to say that it is extremely frustrating. I have started the game over about a dozen times and I have two levels to complete before I can unlock the next one...I have unlocked the first two....FINALLY!! Sometimes you get 6 or 8 of the same cards in a row and it seems like the game is set up so that you fail to complete one or both goals. I am going to try once more and then just delete it for a while unless there is a trick to moving on.

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Feb 5, 13 5:05 PM
CoolGrammy1 wrote:I can't get past some of the earlier levels... and it is an understatement to say that it is extremely frustrating. I have started the game over about a dozen times and I have two levels to complete before I can unlock the next one...I have unlocked the first two....FINALLY!! Sometimes you get 6 or 8 of the same cards in a row and it seems like the game is set up so that you fail to complete one or both goals. I am going to try once more and then just delete it for a while unless there is a trick to moving on.

I know what you mean! I finally made it to Pearl Archipelago, and I'm on my 4th time trying to beat it. I've yet to get either of the two stage objectives. I've played through Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire twice, which many found to be a tough game. The cards here are rigged (6 5's in a deck, for example), but they're not helpful. I'm surprised that the developers didn't program the game to be easier subsequent times through if you don't make it the first time. I'd also like to be able to repeat individual hands, as in Fairway and Chronicles, and I'd like the option to purchase individual wild cards, as both of the other games allow. I wrote to the developers and invited them to read the comments on their game in these forums. Maybe they'll make some corections to their game after they read our problems. It is telling, I think, that so far no one has replied that they have finished the game.

Edited on 02/05/2013 at 5:39:12 PM PST

[Post New]by lauralew48 on Feb 6, 13 6:56 PM
Of all the Big Fish games this is the first one which was designed for you to fail on each level!! Sometimes you get 4 or 5 of the same cards in a row. There is no way to get past all the frustrating holds on each hand and it really does seem someone has programmed the end of a hand so you never have the right cards! I wish I could get my money back on this one because even if you succeed and make some gold - the power ups are so bizarrely expensive I cannot image how nuts you would be to finally gain 25,000 pieces of gold. DO NOT PLAY this game - it was designed poorly and should have been stopped in the alpha stages.

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Feb 7, 13 4:37 PM
I'm enjoying this game, but I'm still stuck at "Pearl Archipelago." I tried 4 times and failed to reach the stage objectives. I finally learned that I could go to the map and choose another location to try. I've now played through 2 other locations. When I've played through all of the locations I'm allowed to play at this point, I'll go back and try "Pearl Archipelago" again.

Another thing I've finally figured out is that you can use the cannonballs as specific wild cards, not just to get rid of the last card or a card jam. For example, say you need to get a 20 card combo, and you already have 16 cards. If you see a card pattern in the displayed cards, say 2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5, you can "shoot" the 2, and it will land on your playing pile. Then you can complete your combo.

A few purchases I've found useful: the ability to see the next card that will turn up, cheaper cannonballs, losing 4 cards off the display area at the beginning of the hand, and raising your maximum multiplier to 7.

Edited on 02/07/2013 at 4:49:55 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 7, 13 11:41 PM
Morning, all...

I just finished "New Havana" and starting on "Mysterious Iceberg". No idea which level that is, but so far I have not needed to repeat a level.

What irritated me too was that quite often I get the same card, one after another. I found that especially to be true right at the beginning of the game.

On the other hand, I find it very easy with this particular Solitaire game to get a 5 (or in my case now 7) multiplier, which always brings in a nice bit of extra cash.

I don't buy things like: "Remove 2 water cards" or "see the next card" or "chop off 2 wood cards" and such. It would make the game too easy for me, and I always considered that too much cheating.

I did buy the extra "Undo". Oooh... I needed that one. And I bought the "get cheaper cannonballs" and the "Lucky Charm" and start a run with 5 cards instead of 6. Those things I buy, but not the ones that automatically remove 2 cards or that the first card is always playable.

Anyway... I very much enjoy this game, despite the repeating cards I sometimes get. I am pretty sure the same happened with "The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire". I played that game twice and got through it twice, although the ending is quite rediculously difficult.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Feb 8, 13 7:03 PM
Not sure where I am but having fun with this one. I played that Emerald one six times and know I will get some miles out of this one. Nice to go to between the Hidden Object or adventure games. I just had two knee replacements and now feeling like playing again but not for long times because knees have to be kept up most of time while sitting yet. I was worried when I looked for your name Valdy and didn't see it right away. You have no idea how many of us look for your reviews.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 9, 13 12:05 AM
Thank you, The... (I really don't want to call you names, so I won't say your name)

I am taking a break from writing reviews. I am moving at the end of the month, and am in the middle of packing boxes, and dealing with a hundred other things. *sigh*

And I hope your knees will be as good as new once you gave them a good long rest. I don't know whether you have a laptop or a PC. I have a laptop, so I often sit on the sofa with my feet up on the coffeetable and the laptop on my legs. Or you could sit up in bed, with your legs stretched out, while using your laptop.

Oooh... time to check out TGT. Have a great weekend, everyone.

[Post New]by spiderplant on Feb 9, 13 6:34 AM
Sherry__Rose wrote:I'm enjoying this game, but I'm still stuck at "Pearl Archipelago." I tried 4 times and failed to reach the stage objectives. I finally learned that I could go to the map and choose another location to try. I've now played through 2 other locations. When I've played through all of the locations I'm allowed to play at this point, I'll go back and try "Pearl Archipelago" again.

Another thing I've finally figured out is that you can use the cannonballs as specific wild cards, not just to get rid of the last card or a card jam. For example, say you need to get a 20 card combo, and you already have 16 cards. If you see a card pattern in the displayed cards, say 2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5, you can "shoot" the 2, and it will land on your playing pile. Then you can complete your combo.

A few purchases I've found useful: the ability to see the next card that will turn up, cheaper cannonballs, losing 4 cards off the display area at the beginning of the hand, and raising your maximum multiplier to 7.

[Post New]by spiderplant on Feb 9, 13 6:36 AM
I also have been stuck on Pearl Archapilge,have tried at least 20 times and still no luck. Very frustrating.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Feb 9, 13 11:20 AM
I have made some very good friends thanks to Big Fish and they too would not call me theoldbag. lol, I chose the nic with a sense of humor because I am in my 70s. The friends I have met choose to call me Theo using the beginning letters. I like that too. I have a desk top and also a laptop but I prefer the desktop because i have a much larger screen on it. Happy moving! It is a hassle for sure! I am still playing the seven seas solitaire and don't believe it will ever end and that's okay with me. It is lots of fun!!

[Post New]by pyramidblue on Feb 9, 13 2:13 PM
Finished! Took me forever! I wasn’t going to buy any upgrades, but then realized I’d need the 7x multiplier if I was going to finish. The last level you need a lot of gold and you can’t get it without buying most of the upgrades, including getting the cannon for 5K. I will play again and buy all of the upgrades as soon as I can and I’ll bet I get through it quicker this time. Had a lot of fun with it!

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Feb 9, 13 3:01 PM
pyramidblue wrote:Finished! Took me forever! I wasn’t going to buy any upgrades, but then realized I’d need the 7x multiplier if I was going to finish. The last level you need a lot of gold and you can’t get it without buying most of the upgrades, including getting the cannon for 5K. I will play again and buy all of the upgrades as soon as I can and I’ll bet I get through it quicker this time. Had a lot of fun with it!

Wow, so it is doable! Thanks for your advice and for letting us know.

Sherry in Oregon

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Feb 10, 13 5:54 PM
The area that includes the Pearl Archipelago seems to be a point of epiphany for many of us. When I got to that spot, I finally realized that instead of being frustrated when I did not complete the objectives for a level, I just needed to decide on which power-up I wanted to purchase next and sit back and enjoy the voyage. Since we accumulate gold even when we "fail" a level, you can watch your "treasure chest" fill as you relax. As you buy better power-ups, things do become possible. Also, don't forget - you can sail to other sites in a given area - you do not have to repeat one specific level until you complete its objectives. It helps to keep things from becoming monotonous while you save for that next special power-up.

[Post New]by Roman_ANAWIKI on Feb 11, 13 3:07 AM
Hi everyone and thank you very much for trying out our game.

The game is definitely beatable. We had play testers that finished the game 2-3 times to make sure all is fine. That doesn't mean that all stages are equally easy. They get even harder if you don't buy power ups/upgrades. What and when to buy is part of the game. We don't consider cheating power ups that clear for example 2 water cards, etc. but we take them into account during design of the later levels.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Feb 11, 13 5:16 AM
For those who have not finished the game (myself included), be prepared! When you finish the area with the Pearl Archipelago and Spyglass Point, another area opens up in the northeast corner of the map. Just when you thought the storm had passed, you discover you were only in the eye of the hurricane. The real danger is ahead. I just ventured into the Icy Wastes and discovered that we now get only 7 hands to meet objectives for a level; not 10. Storm warning!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 11, 13 11:53 AM
Oh, hello Roman_Anawiki !! And welcome to the Pond.

I love your solitaire games. I own "Avalon Legends Solitaire" and still love playing it after all this time.

And I love this game as well. I just came across my first level which I had to repeat 3x before I managed to get passed it. I needed 3 perfect and 30000 gold. It was the 30000 gold I just couldn't get. Can't remember what the name of the level was... "Salty Winter" or something. Something with "Winter", anyway. LOL

Anyway... I struggled through that level twice, and then, all of a sudden, it got easier with the third try. *wipes sweat off her forehead* Phew... that was hard work.

What I am not so keen on is that too often the same cards appear from the deck. King, King, King, 6, 6, 6, 6, J, J, J, etc. Very frustrating. And of course, none of those cards is the one I want. *rolls eyes*

But it's a fun game nevertheless. Thanks again for making it.

[Post New]by Roman_ANAWIKI on Feb 12, 13 3:53 AM
Hi Valdy, thank you for your support. Yes, I hear your pain when it comes to repeating cards in deck. We took that into consideration for update (as well as ability to repeat the last played level). Hopefully this will make the game even funnier

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Feb 12, 13 2:39 PM
Hi Roman,
So glad you've been visiting the forum. Thank you for your email and for the advice you've been giving us. Sounds like there will be an update to the game soon. Do you have an idea when it will be released? Do you know if those of us who are currently playing SSS will have to start from the beginning again when we install the update, or will it allow us to pick up where we left off?
Thanks,
Sherry in Oregon

[Post New]by Roman_ANAWIKI on Feb 13, 13 2:34 AM
Hi Sherry, by the rules of this forum I am not allowed to say anything about release of update. It's not just up to me.

You should be able to continue the game from the spot you where you left off

Go to: