bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Feb 3, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

Edited on 02/03/2013 at 12:37:30 AM PST

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Feb 3, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Feb 3, 13 1:08 AM
Just a quick review - I downloaded and played for almost 40 minutes. I have the first game, so was anxious to try this one. So far it is smooth play; quick download. The basic story is a follow thru from the first one, so I think playing that one first would help but is not crucial. (I honestly don't remember too much of the first one.)

Basic good vs. evil.
So far the hidden object scenes are easy enough and the graphics pretty clear and easy to see.
The mini games are new to me, and easy once you figure out what to do. I liked them.
Strategy guide is helpful; took me a minute to figure out how to use it as the next page gave new directions, but not photos.
Hints are ok; tried not to use too much, just to see how it worked.
Probably a buy for me, but might wait for the SE.

Downside: unable to even view the bonus items so how do I know if I want them or not?
The graphics were nice, but not "pretty". Nothing to write home about.

Bottom line, demo and make up your own mind.

CelticCoco

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Feb 3, 13 1:31 AM
Excellent game. I was hoping it was going to be more spooky after the 'adult' warning but it's pretty tame really. Nice puzzles, nice graphics and a little more grown up than usual offerings. The demo has ended so I came in here while I wait for the full game to download. So far, loving it.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Feb 3, 13 1:56 AM
Oh yes, I can't speak for everyone, but a lot of people are going to like this game.

I can't find any reason not to, really. Not sure why I have to be at least 14 to play it -- clearly not an issue.

There is a load of things to do, so far nothing terribly challenging, but I think it might get more complex as the 9 chapter adventure unfolds.

There are 3 play modes…
Casual has more guided hints, faster skip and hint recharge, sparkles
Advanced has fewer guided hints, longer recharge, no sparkles
Hardcore has no hints, no skips, no guided help, probably no sparkles

I only played for 30 minutes in Advanced mode, but may start over as a new player in Hardcore, You cannot switch modes during the game.

Other notables:
• A journal -- shows tasks, character info and notes
• A quick location switching map
• fully voiced
• Achievements
• Collectibles
• over 30 Interactive HOs -- apparently quite a variety of HO challenges (I quite liked the first one)
• over 60 "sub-games" --the first one was familiar but was presented in theme with the story
• Widescreen
• Artwork akin to the first game -- it is rather charming in its style

The story follows the first Otherworld game. Fiona is school age now. This story focuses on getting rid of Shade, the evil fay, once and for all. First order of business is finding Fiona's teacher because she can help with the Shade issue. You play Fiona's guardian. In game one, you went off for a quiet vacation which turned out quite differently, ending up with finding the orphan Fiona and caring for her as your own. I think this game can be played independently, but Otherworld 1 was excellent -- worth playing if you want to understand the characters more.

CE extras include
• The strategy guide which follows along as you play
• Replay cut scenes and mini games
• Wallpapers and concept art
• Soundtrack
• Bonus play labeled "Epilogue"

I will buy this game. It promises to offer at least 6 hours of game play. I have high hopes for the bonus play. In Otherworld 1 I actually thought the Bonus was even better than the main game on the challenge scale, and it had some excellent puzzles.

And yes, I am curious about what makes this an adult fairy tale.

Edited on 02/03/2013 at 2:01:52 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 3, 13 2:06 AM
Another beautiful game from Boomzap, who clearly know exactly what is needed to make a CE very desirable! I heard myself say 'oh no' when the demo ended which tells me this game is a must have! And the demo was the full hour, not a sample.

Stunning graphics, lovely music, no junk pile HOS so far but the ones I came across were varied and some were very cleverly done. The puzzles were for the most part easy enough apart from the beads; I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do so cheated and followed the SG for that one!

Voices are nicely done and as always with this dev, the game filled my w/s monitor. It really does make such a difference; shame certain other developERS can't follow suit. Add collectibles to all the above positives and this game is a definite buy for me

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 3, 13 2:09 AM
Ahhh Nomatt, this is only the demo. Who knows what that sinister Shade and his sidekick Crow is up to (And no ding a lings ) This to me is a 10/10 game. Love it! Based on Expert mode.

Story: Fiona and her (aunt?) went back to the school Fiona used to attend and is looking for her teacher who also has magical gifts because they need her help. (Note on the story. This story does end where the first one left off. So if you want more of a background, I would suggest playing the first one first. Just a thought).

Graphics: To me beautifully done. This team as well has a top notched art team.

Music: Fit perfectly with the game. Wonderfully done.

Mini games: What I played so far, totally fun and original. The one like the ring one made you think. Got to the bird one as the time ran out. But challenging too. Love it!

Hint system: Not sure. Didn't use it in the hour I played. And I only use it if I am totally lost and maybe once in a blue moon in a H0G scene. But I go for the achievements lol.

All in all in, beautifully done! Kudos to Boom for a wonderful game.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 3, 13 2:52 AM
Boomzap is one of the top three devs (Blue Tea, Elephant) producing games right now so you automatically know and have come to expect the following things from their games.

-amazingly beautiful and detailed graphics with a knockout palette of colors unlike any other game. And they have delivered!

-clever and innovative puzzles that can be a bit of a challenge. Done!

-Interesting and thoughtful HOS with an apparent attention to detail, and are as beautifully done as the other parts of the game. Check!

-a widescreen presentation. (Of course, it's Boomzap!)

-and more innovation and creativity with each succeeding game. I don't want to give away anything, but I was amazed at the care that goes into their games. (This won't spoil anything, but as an example, look at the list of other Boomzap games and take note of how that is presented. I've never seen that before.) These devs improve and step up their product with each new game. No resting on their laurels or reputation with this dev. No same old, same old here.

I am totally impressed with the intelligent and creative gameplay seen here, and you can just feel the pride Boomzap has in their game, as well they should. Boomzap has set the bar so high it makes most of the recent CE offerings just look pale in comparison, and this is absolutely one of the very best HOPA games I've seen. Don't miss this one!!

Excellent, Boomzap----congratulations!!!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 3, 13 4:05 AM
I didn't even bother with the demo today I just hit the buy button because I enjoyed the Otherworld: Spring of Shadows game so much. Having played the first chapter of this one, I can honestly say that I am glad that I did and I am already looking forward to buying the Autumn and Winter ones too . No I do not know how today's game ends I am just guessing by the titles that there another 2 games in the series and the fact that the Shade is a winter creature .

This game can be played in Casual, Expert (fewer hints and guidance and no sparkles which was my choice) and Hardcore for the cleverer, braver people than me.

The settings have an addition to the normal full screen, cursor, music, sound and voice volumes and that is that you can turn off the "Enable Achievement Popups" so that it can be a complete surprise to discover what you have earned when you finish the game.

In the Extras there are ...

60 Collectibles
15 Achievements
14 Wallpaper choices
34 Concept Art pictures
13 Music tracks ... I think this is a record because we only usually get 4 or 6 tracks from other devs.
The Cut Scenes can be replayed.
All the Minigames can be replaced.
The Strategy Guide shows 8 Chapters plus the Final Masquerade.

The game automatically filled my widescreen monitor and the graphics, while on the darkish side due to the storyline, are clear enough for my old eyes to see what I am looking for in the hidden object scenes etc . I loved the novelty of the first HO scene and the fact that there is more adventuring to do than just being given objects in every HO scene like other games.

The Spring of Shadows game took me over 9 hours to play so, bearing in mind that the first chapter of this one has just taken me an hour, this looks like being another nice long well worth the money game for me .

Cherb

hdnobjgamluvr
Shark
Shark
12,611 Posts

[Post New]by hdnobjgamluvr on Feb 3, 13 6:19 AM

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 2:55:44 AM PST

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Feb 3, 13 6:37 AM
I loved the first game Spring of Shadows (I think that's the name of it ) I love Boom Zap, still I thought I would try it before I buy it . I stopped with 9 minutes left in the trial , I would have stopped sooner to buy but got caught up in the game ! I'm not as good as a reviewer as some on here , I just wanted to say that I love it !!
I love the achievements and the collectable fairy's , can't wait to get home from work to play this today !! Woo hoo ! Thank you Boom Zap for another awesome game and thank you Big Fish !!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 3, 13 8:59 AM
Another great game from the Boomers. I almost purchased it immediately as well. But then I remembered the sequels from other devs which did not match up from their original works. I really enjoyed the first one and this one is also promising. The graphics are lovely and they tend to provide an interesting twist on their games as well. In this particular case, the sequel seems as entertaining as the first. However, I may impart a warning to these great devs - continuous sequels become boring and repetitive. We have several devs who do not seem to understand this. I also do not see the reason for the PG14 rating. Perhaps it will become more evident as I get further into the game. I must note that the Shadows are reminiscent of the ogre from Gullermo del Toro's " Pan's Labyrinth." Kudos to the Boomers on this little gem.

Edited on 02/03/2013 at 9:00:48 AM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Feb 3, 13 9:46 AM
Here we have a sequel to the first Otherworld game and I have to say it is awesome. So often a sequel seems to pale in comparison to the original game but that is not the case here.

The developer makes use of an intense color palette which make this game a visual feast. The storyline continues Fiona's battle with "The Shade" with your help of course!

The HO scenes are well done as are the puzzles. At this point, I am not sure why there is a warning of adult material on the game but nothing seems objectionable to me. It might however be a bit scary for younger players.

If you like games that have a good storyline, voice-overs, wonderful graphics, and great puzzles along with innovative HO scenes, then this game is for you.

Playing Otherworld is a wonderful way to spend quality gaming time. Enjoy!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Feb 3, 13 11:11 AM
What can I say??? Fantastic, awesome and love it. Finished the regular game already and am now playing the epilogue. Took me 3 1/2 to finish regular game - it will take at least another 1-2 hrs to fnish the epilogue.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 3, 13 11:12 AM
Great game, of which I had the opportunity to beta tested back on August, as mattter of fact, I had forgot about it, so when I played the demo I just thought, I can swear I have already played this game before, than again, I thought, maybe has a lot of similarities with the first one, the Spring of shadows, which I have played as well as CE, but than again I thought, nop, it's not possibile has the same puzzles the same playground, so I went to ceck my agenda and finally I found it over there, beta testing on August 10, wow, ages ago! Anyhow I really enjoyed playing it all over the demo, and I surely get the CE! I like the colors, the graphics, the story and I really would like to enter the portal to face the shadow, the music is very nice, like it was in the first one, happy gaming to all fans of the series!

Edited on 02/03/2013 at 11:15:02 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 3, 13 11:47 AM
Great game and the graphics and voice overs are so good. It has a map, hints reload fast, has tasks that need to be done. Story is real creepy and I am enjoying all of it. Puzzles have been fun as well. I have got stuck so many times and the strategy guide gives me no help.. So won't be getting this game..

Edited on 02/03/2013 at 1:21:02 PM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Feb 3, 13 12:59 PM

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 2:57:43 AM PST

Beautiful artwork, good fairytale story, soothing musical score

[Post New]by Mystery_Fan on Feb 3, 13 1:11 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see this sequel to the first Otherworld - and this installment has the same qualities that I found very enjoyable with beautiful artwork, a soothing musical score and a good fairytale story.

Definitely worth the CE for me. It took me over 4 hours to complete the the original game, and another 50 minutes to complete the bonus. You certainly don't need the bonus storyline, but since I enjoyed the first Otherworld I couldn't resist this CE. Enjoy!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 3, 13 2:51 PM
I have the first game and was excited to see this one finally come out. Nice graphics, although a bit cartoony; nice game play; very simple games; HOGs simple. Music nice, nice voice over; SG okay but I prefer the page not turn itself...I will go to the next page when I am ready. Didn't use the hint, so I don't know about that one, but did get a cudo for not using the hint button.

I was a bit disappointed. To me, this game was not exciting nor challenging. I do not have the need to purchase to see what happens next. This is a nice game for those who do not want a real challenge and just want to play a game, and I do buy games for that reason. That said, I liked the game, but didn't love it. I am trying not to buy so many CE games. I will purchase this game, but for now it goes in my puddle for a day that there is nothing better to do.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 3, 13 9:00 PM
I just finished this lovely game; about six hours with multiple breaks. Other than a few puzzles that I skipped because they just didn't make sense to me, I enjoyed the rest. Some of them were a bit different, and it was fun to figure them out. Not many hos, but I still had fun. Looking forward to the next one...hope they are working on it and won't take too long to get it out to us.

Go to: