Mature Content?

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

Mature Content?

[Post New]by sfcali on Feb 3, 13 10:40 AM
Could someone give me a heads up/spoiler on what the mature content warning is about, please? I'd like to be prepared, if possible.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Mature Content?

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 3, 13 10:50 AM
I've played for several hours and the only thing that could be considered to be even mildly "mature" is:

Obvious spoiler

A card style game where you have two cards that "equal" the third which shows a cow and a bull equalling calves. Which means that *GASP* the bull and cow had sex.

If that's it, I guess they felt they had to cover all the bases since people get offended over the smallest things.

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Feb 3, 13 11:01 AM
Ah, thank you, snapnhiss! I played right past that without a second thought. When I think "mature content," I worry about much more bothersome stuff than birds and bees type stuff.

I wanted to know in advance if it something hurtful to Fiona, or other sort of extremely disturbing content, despite the fact that some horror games on here never got that warning when they should have it.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Feb 3, 13 1:46 PM
I haven't played very far, but I thought the scarecrow trapped in the door was slightly disturbing, so maybe that. I know I felt horrible about leaving him there while I went off and did a puzzle.

Vaugh
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,254 Posts

[Post New]by Vaugh on Feb 3, 13 4:00 PM
shagwendy wrote:I haven't played very far, but I thought the scarecrow trapped in the door was slightly disturbing, so maybe that. I know I felt horrible about leaving him there while I went off and did a puzzle.

I did too shagwendy, or in other games where I have to leave a dog, monkey...etc chained up until I can help them out.

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Feb 3, 13 4:21 PM
Hi there - I'm the Creative Director of Boomzap. Thank you so much for playing our game!

To answer your question, there honestly is nothing that an adult need to worry about in the game. We're still Boomzap, and we're still dedicated to making games that can be played by anyone.

The reason we put the warning on our game is because we're the company that made Awakening, and many people tell us that they enjoy playing the Awakening series with their very young children - or letting their children play our games alone. Otherworld 1 was (rightly) branded as a "modern fairy tale" and we had a few users assume that meant it was going to be a light and pretty fantasy story like Awakening. They then told us that their children were a bit upset at the scary and dark look and feel of the game. As parents ourselves, we wanted to make sure that parents were not similarly surprised by Otherworld 2.

We remain committed to making entertainment that does not rely on blood, violence, sex, or shock value to sell units. But we also wanted to be able to express some more mature tones in our game, since so many of our users seem to enjoy that.

Thank you again, and please enjoy the game.

PS: there are also no spiders. We know you guys hate those.

_misschrissi_
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by _misschrissi_ on Feb 3, 13 4:52 PM
How fantastic that someone from a game's development team takes the time to come to the forums and reply to gamers' questions. Puts Boomzap waaaaay up there in my estimation, it really does

p.s. Game's great, by the way.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 3, 13 8:37 PM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:Hi there - I'm the Creative Director of Boomzap. Thank you so much for playing our game!

To answer your question, there honestly is nothing that an adult need to worry about in the game. We're still Boomzap, and we're still dedicated to making games that can be played by anyone.

The reason we put the warning on our game is because we're the company that made Awakening, and many people tell us that they enjoy playing the Awakening series with their very young children - or letting their children play our games alone. Otherworld 1 was (rightly) branded as a "modern fairy tale" and we had a few users assume that meant it was going to be a light and pretty fantasy story like Awakening. They then told us that their children were a bit upset at the scary and dark look and feel of the game. As parents ourselves, we wanted to make sure that parents were not similarly surprised by Otherworld 2.

We remain committed to making entertainment that does not rely on blood, violence, sex, or shock value to sell units. But we also wanted to be able to express some more mature tones in our game, since so many of our users seem to enjoy that.

Total professionalism on the part of Boomzap----yet again!!!!

happyasaclam
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by happyasaclam on Feb 3, 13 8:46 PM
just want to add my thank you boom zapfor all you do to keep us happy.i knew there was a good reason.keep up the great work you made me very happy. now please can you tell us when we might get the next awakening game soooooon we hope have a great week. now i am off to play some more very happyasaclamps fishes you all have a great week as well have fun

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Feb 3, 13 9:07 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:Hi there - I'm the Creative Director of Boomzap. Thank you so much for playing our game!

I was actually disappointed to hear that you would no longer have spiders in HOS! They so often are hard to find, hanging around in corners, in webs, or under a leaf.

I can't understand why a company would give in to complaints from one group of players, those who don't want spiders. I feel it opens the floodgates of other "requests," such as "Don't have mean dogs chained up anymore, dogs shouldn't be chained up," or "I hate snakes, I won't buy any games with snakes." I believe those who dislike something will mention it, but those who either like it, or don't care, won't say a word. Then, bye bye spiders, or snakes, or feeding a steak to a vicious bear (because after all there are thousands of vegetarian gameplayers!). Isn't it a slippery slope?

If it weren't for spiders the world would be teeming with insects! Think about it!

I do thank you for addressing player questions and comments though. That is such a nice thing to do.
Yes! Yes! Yes! I guess it's assumed that only squeamish women who hate spiders, snakes, lizards and all things that crawl and climb play casual games. Not true! I actually like spiders! Bring them on!

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Feb 3, 13 11:17 PM
As always - we take all feedback seriously... we may reconsider the "Boomzap Spider Ban" of 2012... thanks for letting us know

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 4, 13 2:01 AM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:As always - we take all feedback seriously... we may reconsider the "Boomzap Spider Ban" of 2012... thanks for letting us know

If you do reconsider your 'spider ban', can you at least keep them to a size that's reasonable! I don't like spiders at all but can live with little ones. What gives me the horrors is very big ones; played a game once where a spider filled half a room Never played that game again.

So nothing the size of Aragog (from Harry Potter) please!

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Feb 4, 13 8:28 AM
snapnhiss wrote:
Obvious spoiler

A card style game where you have two cards that "equal" the third which shows a cow and a bull equalling calves. Which means that *GASP* the bull and cow had sex.

Are you sure there's no other explanation? This is shocking. Really disturbing.

Oh, spiders - I like them! Actually I'm wearing a spider-shaped poison ring. More of those, please!

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Feb 4, 13 3:27 PM
Actually there is no mature issue with the game. I love spiders as well.

I tried to think why the 'not recommended for anyone under 14 years of age' and the only thing I could imagine was due to the Sandy Hook incident and this story centered around the teacher, the Shades and etc there was a bit of perhaps over sensitivity going on here. Just a thought.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Feb 5, 13 1:44 AM
The reason for the warning was nicely explained by the developer - thanks WebsiteBoomzap. The warning as well as your explanation - nice and classy touch!! I jumped on this game because I KNEW what to expect. Well - wrong. Although the quality of the game did not diminish in the least from all their other games, the "darkness" has increased with this game.

I can totally understand that they have been asked to include "more mature tones" in their games. Apparently that is what sells. Unfortunately the majority of developers use "mature tones" that I am starting to avoid them and try to find the more light hearted, bright and friendly games. They just do a better job of lifting my mood. I prefere smiling to jumping out of my seat (with some games) when it comes to entertainment. I hope that their other endeavors remain bright and cheery and I'll be a happy camper. I can consider myself pre-warned when it comes to the sequels of "Otherworlds." Still an EXCELLENT game, I finished every bit of it. Most stories need a bad guy - but do they have to be portrayed so dark? And even spiders, snail, bats (my personal freak out are mice) or whatever seem to be quite humorous in the brighter games. Maybe it's the more "cartoonish/friendly" nature of the artwork.

Please don't give up on your other projects - some of us adults do like the kid friendly games, as long as they have a bit of a challenge.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 5, 13 6:00 PM
Perhaps an option to play *with bugs etc* or *without bugs etc* for the next one!

Seriously, as long as no animals are hurt then I am fine with the bugs. I am fine with the creepy stuff. I know it is just a game and not real. But if animals are hurt then I have bad dreams...........I guess we all have our own likes and dislikes; what bothers some may not bother others. Kind of hard for any developer to keep everyone happy, but at least BoomZap give a warning at the beginning, more than a lot of developers do!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 6, 13 1:50 PM
So it's not about the cow sex?

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Feb 6, 13 9:21 PM
snapnhiss wrote:So it's not about the cow sex?

No - but the idea that it might have been gave all of us here in the studio a good laugh for about half an hour. We never even thought of that...

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 7, 13 2:16 AM
I like when I can make people laugh, unfortunately my best laughs seem to be unintentional.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Feb 7, 13 1:52 PM

"...We remain committed to making entertainment that does not rely on blood, violence, sex, or shock value to sell units. But we also wanted to be able to express some more mature tones in our game, since so many of our users seem to enjoy that.

PS: there are also no spiders. We know you guys hate those...."

Bless you for not compromising your integrity/beliefs/standards to please the few.
Just like so much of the Media...I don't feel gratuitous sex/nudity/language/violence are needed. If you aren't an intelligent enough producer to convey your story line w/o, then you have no business behind the camera/computer.
and BTW~I'm one that does not like the 2 "S" Words (Spiders & Snakes)
... why put them there in the 1st place if they aren't an integral part of the story?

Go to: