Thank you from the Developers

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Feb 3, 13 11:35 PM
Let me start by again saying THANK YOU to the forum Fishies! We're very excited about our newest release, and hope that you're finding the sequel even better than the last.

This was one of our longest games in production - it took us almost a complete year, start to finish - so we're pleased to finally see it out, and even more pleased to see that people are appreciating the time we took to make sure it was a quality release.

As you may have noticed, Boomzap is working on a number of franchises now - not only Otherworld, but also our classics Awakening and Dana Knightstone and also our newest franchise, Botanica - all of which we are terribly proud of. We also have some other new stuff in the works that we can't talk about yet, but rest assured, it's all really cool!

Of course, as we have grown, we have brought in new designers, artists, and coders to build our games - and I'd like to introduce one of them to you now: Sara, a talented young designer from Manila who has worked on the Otherworld games since the beginning, and led the Otherworld 2 team over the last year:

----

Hi - I'm Sara! On behalf of the Otherworld team, I'd like to say a huge thank you for playing Otherworld: Omens of Summer. The development of the game was a really intense process, full of tinkering and experimenting and trying different things out - we hope you enjoy the new puzzles, new inventory challenges, and varied environments that you and Fiona must explore.

It was a really special experience to add all of the small touches to the game that tell the story - and quite a challenge to do the non-linear part of the game where you can pick which area to explore first! Our artists played with so many different ideas during development - and it was so much fun for them to create unique and interesting characters for each area!

Our aim was to build on the world of Otherworld, expanding the backstory, introducing more of the unfolding future story, and bringing this world to life for you. Obviously, we would like to continue building this world, and we are very interested in your feedback for future work! The entire team checks out the comments here in the forum, so let us know what you liked, and what you want to see more of!

Cheers,
Sara

---

And that's all from us. As Sara says, we'll be lurking in the forums for feedback, so do let us know what you think. Now it's time for us to get back to work on our next great game for you!

Thank You Again!

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 12:08:24 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Thank you from the Developers

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 4, 13 12:22 AM
Good morning, WebsiteBoomzap, Sara, and everyone at BoomZap.

As I have mentioned in my brief comment, you have become my favourite developer. I loved the first "Otherword" game, and this new one is just wonderful.

You have added HOS, not too many, but enough for me to be interested in them.

You have added fun mini games, which I love to play.

You have made sure the whole game plays in widescreen, and not just a pretend widescreen whereas there are artfully done side bars, as some developers do them (I know of at least 2 devs who does the "widescreen" this way).

The graphics and colours are just wonderful.

Gameplay is interesting and fun.

You have added again those collectables. Love them.

In fact, this is the PERFECT game for me, and it's the first CE in a month at least which I actually found exciting enough to want to buy.

Thank you, all.

Valdy

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Feb 4, 13 12:34 AM
Not much more to add than what Valdy already said!

Absolutely love your games.

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Feb 4, 13 12:43 AM
Oh gosh, a BoomZap game, I gotta try it now. Love the your other games so I am off to download now! Will post again when I have tried it out.

What can I say, a beautiful game with such great attention to detail, a buy for me, really do love this game.

Edited on 02/05/2013 at 1:27:48 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 4, 13 1:36 AM

No, it should be thank YOU for a great game.

I, for one, am definitely waiting for the next ...

Otherworld: Autumn
Otherworld: Winter
Awakening: V
Dana Knightstone: Death At/Upon/Under/Wherever LOL
Botanica: II

as I have thoroughly enjoyed all the previous games in each series so please keep them coming.

very patiently

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Feb 4, 13 3:12 AM
I'm with Cherb; thank YOU for another wonderful game . Since the Awakening series Boomzap have been my go to developers for beautiful artistry & interesting hidden objects & puzzles.

You are all at the top of the pile in my opinion & are the only developer who produces a game I will buy without a demo.

[Post New]by heatherington on Feb 4, 13 4:26 AM
This was certainly a challenging game, especially when you expected us to do puzzles that didn't have skips and took exactly one half hour to figure out. Your trailor panel is a prime example of a non skip puzzle and the Mermaids Anguish or whatever with the spinning wheels just about had me wanting to shut the game down. Just when you needed the SG the most it was very unhelpful, but I made it through to the place where I had to put the Spoiler Alert House on the podium thing and it wouldn't go, At that point, since I had been playing it ALL AFTERNOON and EVENING long, I gave it up, the Super Bowl was over and I was exhausted. I will say that it took a very long time to finish this game. It was well worth the money I spent but I will never play it ever again. However, keep your other games coming because I most certainly enjoy the Dana Knightstone and Awakening games and I look forward to autumn and winter if you choose to come out with those but maybe not so very many puzzles and more hidden object scenes the puzzles had me so mentally exhausted I went straight to bed and slept the whole night through so thanks for that!

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Feb 4, 13 7:23 AM
Hi Sara and BoomZap' team! I'm a huge fan of all your games, I'm having all of this.
I bought Otherworld 2 before I finished the demo.
Your team and Blue Tea are my favorite developers!
Please, keep your wonderful job, and you explain very clear how long take to polish and bring a oustanding game!
Kudos for all of you !
M.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Feb 4, 13 8:11 AM
i really liked your game but i do have one small complaint.....about the guide.....i use it when there are collectibles, to make sure i have them all,,what i didnt like was having to go to contents,,, then "bonus, mini,s and collectibles. then click 50 million times, to find where i was,,,,while the stratagy guide keeping up with you is nice,,,its annoying when you want to stay on a certain page like i do....

either put the colectibles in the guide as you go,, or dont make the guide automatically changs places...or maybe put coleectibles in a section by them selfs.....

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Feb 4, 13 8:15 AM
I spent all day (really) with this beautiful, mesmerizing game. The worlds created by your team were breathtaking and the stories along with the emotions and voices of the characters added to the enjoyment so much.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Feb 4, 13 8:43 AM
I would like to see a better explanation of mini games in the strategy guide. You show us the illustration of the solved game, but sometimes I still don't see how you get to the solution. I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well. Look at some walkthroughs by our very own Margie B. She is an expert at explaining puzzles and mini games.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Feb 4, 13 9:10 AM
I just got a chance to try this demo due to Superbowl game yesterday. I have to say the demo was over before I knew it, good sign. My only complaint is the SG giving you a screenshot of the answer instead of telling you what you need to do to solve. I just need a little nudge, not the answer Other than SG, lovely game, beautiful graphics, filled my screen completely and I love a good backstory Thank you for a fun game and I look forward to your next projects

[Post New]by ghostguide2002 on Feb 4, 13 11:01 AM
Great game, looking forward to more like this!

Thanks for remembering one of BFG's member "Textrekki" in your credits. That was so kind of you and BFG.

I just found this very touching.

Judy

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Feb 4, 13 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just swimming in to add a sticky to this thread.

Thanks to our friends at BoomZap for swimming in and chatting with their Fishy Fans!

bfgMonongahela

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Feb 4, 13 1:16 PM
All of us agree that BoomZap is hands down one of the best game developers around. The reasons for this is obvious...they care about their customer, they listen to their customer, and they have the skills.

You may be interested in putting a face and voice to Christopher Natsuume. He is the Creative Director of BoomZap. If so you can do a search for a lecture he did titled THE DESIGNER IS THE ENEMY.
The entire lecture is videoed and it gives alot of insight into what BoomZap is about and process of game development. Very interesting.

Q

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 1:19:47 PM PST

Thank you from the Developers

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Feb 4, 13 1:21 PM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:Hi - I'm Sara! On behalf of the Otherworld team, I'd like to say a huge thank you for playing Otherworld: Omens of Summer. The development of the game was a really intense process, full of tinkering and experimenting and trying different things out - we hope you enjoy the new puzzles, new inventory challenges, and varied environments that you and Fiona must explore.

It was a really special experience to add all of the small touches to the game that tell the story - and quite a challenge to do the non-linear part of the game where you can pick which area to explore first! Our artists played with so many different ideas during development - and it was so much fun for them to create unique and interesting characters for each area!

Our aim was to build on the world of Otherworld, expanding the backstory, introducing more of the unfolding future story, and bringing this world to life for you. Obviously, we would like to continue building this world, and we are very interested in your feedback for future work! The entire team checks out the comments here in the forum, so let us know what you liked, and what you want to see more of!

Cheers,
Sara

Hi Sara,
I love this game and it is going on my list for best game of 2013. BoomZap created an awesome game for us.

I do have one issue with the game and that concerns going into the 3 portals. We are given the option to select any portal we wish and I chose the undersea world. Unfortunately I am stuck since I did not select the left mirror first and get the blade while in that portal location. As a result, I cannot proceed further since I cannot cut the panel in the sunken boat. Maybe this needs to be fixed so that Ms. Thomas does not tell us to choose any portal we wish. Unfortunately, I cannot go back and into a previous world so I will need to restart the game, unless you can let me know where I can find a blade where I am.

All in all, this is a minor although frustrating issue, and I still LOVE this game.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Feb 4, 13 1:55 PM
Thank you Qismet. I went back to where I had completed the mountain portal yesterday and did have a stone blade with a wrapped handle from that portal. I will go back to where I am stuck today to see if I can find it anywhere. I did get a bandage in the lighthouse portal so maybe the blade is there somewhere and I missed it. But still can't go back from the ocean.

I just started playing where I left off yesterday and only had to repeat the lighthouse portal and continue back into the ocean.

Thanks for replying.

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Feb 4, 13 3:30 PM
SeaBamboo wrote:I'm with Cherb; thank YOU for another wonderful game . Since the Awakening series Boomzap have been my go to developers for beautiful artistry & interesting hidden objects & puzzles.

You are all at the top of the pile in my opinion & are the only developer who produces a game I will buy without a demo.

Ditto. I buy your games sight unseen, just load the game to make sure it will load, then get out and purchase. You guys put out top notch games. Keep up the great work.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Feb 4, 13 6:32 PM
nwl43 wrote:I would like to see a better explanation of mini games in the strategy guide. You show us the illustration of the solved game, but sometimes I still don't see how you get to the solution. I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well. Look at some walkthroughs by our very own Margie B. She is an expert at explaining puzzles and mini games.

I have to agree. I would also like more consistency in the difficulty level. Some of the games/puzzles here were so incredibly easy and yet the instructions told you exactly what to do and how to do it and others seemed to defy logic and even after looking at the strategy guide I was scratching my head. Either the game is for kids/beginners or it isn't but please don't sit on the fence and try to make it for everybody.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Feb 4, 13 6:42 PM
Thank you for thanking us! It is appreciated! And wonderful to know you actually read our reviews.

Go to: