bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Feb 4, 13 12:33 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Feb 4, 13 12:33 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,755 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 4, 13 2:07 AM
This game is from a dev I have not heard or, or remember. So it's possible they are new, but they are at least new to me. I must say that in the beginning of the game, I wasn't too intrigued----but it got better as I went through.

The story involves a missing skier that has gotten herself into some sort of trouble so you must go to her rescue. Atmospherically speaking, it gets pretty creepy as you delve in to the various scenes. The music is very quiet or non-existent, the wind is howling, and you suddenly get the feeling of being very, very alone. So. of course, you want to move on----just to see what's going to happen next.

There are HOS and puzzles along the way to be dealt with, and though they are not some of the very best I've ever seen, they are easy enough and workable. The overall graphics are ok, but not great. (working widescreen would have helped)

It's not a game that everyone will like, and is very slow paced, but I liked the story well enough that I will get this one----if for no other reason than to support a new dev. But be sure to try this one for yourself and see if it's one you like.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 4, 13 2:37 AM
I definitely agree with you Cbtx, a slow game that has a really dated look about it. Did you see the cellphone that was used at the beginning??? Still, I also enjoyed the storyline and the adventure gameplay. There are two play-modes to choose from and unfortunately there are sparkles in the advance mode that does indicate HO scenes and other areas of interest; what was the point of having two modes?.

What I did find discerning was that you get into a scene crowded with stuff and you have no idea what you are looking for. You end up clicking away until you grab an inventory item. The HO scenes are junk-piled but the graphics are good. I really did not like the HO scenes where you only have sillohettes and I really have to use the hint on those. The graphics are good, the voice over is terrible and hardly any music. Alot of ambient sound like wind which does create an errie atmosphere to the game. I actually liked the story enough to buy the game, using one of my credits. I too have not heard of these developers before and they appear to be new to this genre.

Anyhow, it is a definite buy from me but like I said, will only spend a credit on this.

margit50
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Feb 4, 13 4:53 AM
I thought it was a nice little game. It filled my wide screen automatically. As soon as you start it asks you to adjust brightness, and it can be changed during the game. Outside the game the hint button will tell you that there is nothing to be done right now. You have a task button and a journal. I will get this game.

[Post New]by heatherington on Feb 4, 13 5:33 AM
It is a good little game, if a little outdated. When you found an item outside of the hidden object scene it just sat there and throbbed even though you were clicking on the ok. Then the video presentation was a little long and drawn out and they didn't want you to skip it, but I can figure out what's going on without all that business. When I got done with the demo they just went on and on about the upcoming attractions until I had to hit ctrl alt del to get out of it. Not really interested in all the story stuff, but I know there are those that will hang on every word. I liked the games and the hidden object scenes and I like all the snow. Good job new developer.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,388 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Feb 4, 13 10:11 AM
Definitely got that "Dire Grove cold, quiet, and I don't know what to do" vibe. That's a good thing Now - don't get too excited - I'm not saying this is as good as DG - but you do get a bit of deja vu! Even with the sparkles (they stay as "directional arrows" even in difficult mode) you don't race through this game at top speed. It's nice to stumble around blindly in a game now and then and this is one where you'll find yourself doing that.

Graphics are very crisp and the game runs well. I'm not crazy for the VO, but that's a matter of taste. Journal seems like it will be helpful as well. Story is setting up to be quite a mystery. I have no idea yet what our protagonist is up against...ghosts? Regular old bad guys? Snow people? Stick this on the side of positives!

H0 scenes (so far) are quite extensive, been a while since I've seen a list that grows as you find things - I did a double take "Wait, I've found 4 things and the list is still full..." *facepalm* ! The first interactive H0 I ran into didn't have a "hand" or any other type of indicator that I could pick up "object a" to use on "object b" - maybe a glitch - or maybe a sign that these scenes will require a bit of extra thinking, not just scrolling around until you get a hand icon

All in all great SE for a Monday morning! Give it a try and;

Happy Gaming!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,409 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Feb 4, 13 10:30 AM
Nice crisp clean graphics, annoying repetitive music, slooooow when in HOS, very dated HOG, good storyline. Game ran fine, no glitches for me..
My gripe was after demo was over, I thought the closing credits went on longer than the demo

smpilotmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by smpilotmom on Feb 4, 13 11:06 AM
I liked it and bought it

[Post New]by ColorBrushStudio on Feb 4, 13 11:33 AM

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 1:06:45 PM PST

bfgMonongahela
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Feb 4, 13 1:08 PM
Hi Fishies,

Just swimming in to remind you that we'd like to keep this thread for review only as per the proactive reminder above.

We'll be editing any posts that are off topic, but please do continue to let us know what you think of this game.

Thank you!

bfgMonongahela

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,494 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Feb 4, 13 1:16 PM
Hi ColorBrushStudios - so nice of you to drop in. This is based on the demo:

First - there is a technical issue with the brightness and one must reboot after playing the demo.

Storyline is interesting and I'll purchase the game in the future. It draws you in and so far no occult, dead bodies, vampires, spirits or blood - a real plus. However I just saw Amy! Waiting to hear from those playing the full game.

Voice - I had my system and the game volume up and could not understand or hear the person talking.

I could read the diary but the titled words and words in HOGs was very difficult for me to read. I've noticed lately many studios are using yellow and white for words and those of us who are older or have vision problems cannot read the smaller fonts or see the words in those colors.

Radio static - drove me nuts; the teapot (of them) caused me confusion on where to find it. There being 4 in two places.

Directions - poor; because of the jumble of stuff in the buildings and HOGs I couldn't tell when I was in a HOG or just suppose to look for something - found this frustrating and confusing. Once I figured it out - I was less annoyed; but ending the scene when you have found an item would help immensely and you wouldn't have to keep using the hint button.

For your first game it's not bad and especially not having a big studio behind you with all the bells and whistles in graphics and artists. The main thing here is the storyline draws you and keeps your attention - the rest can be adjusted.

Good luck in the future.

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 1:17:39 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 4, 13 1:28 PM
Game is so so.. Lots of going here and going there. Guess once you have played a games that are #1, you get spoiled. Not a bad game and might buy it or not. Graphics weren't bad and hints did reload and puzzles you could skip after a time. Just didn't get as much out of the game as I would have liked.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,413 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Feb 4, 13 1:44 PM
As at least one of the earlier reviewers said, it has sort of a Dire Grove feeling to it. I liked wandering around in the snow (without getting cold), figuring out what to do.

Graphics are quite pleasant. The music is well-suited to the game, just wish there had been more of it. Navigation, tasks, and usage of inventory seemed very logical (and practical!).

No technical glitches and no problem as some encountered after adjusting "brightness". But then, the graphics were just fine without any adjustment on my system.

The font chosen for HOS was definitely a little small and perhaps not the best color for optimal viewing. The "static" sound effect in the car nearly drove me to turn down the sounds completely. I don't recall any other unpleasant sounds from the demo. It has voiceovers (not bad) except the voice went so s-l-o-w and was not well-synchronized with the text.

There were a few interactive things to do in the HOS. Hope to see more of in dev's future games.

Overall, I knew just a few minutes in that it was likely a buy for me...and that opinion held up through the end of the demo. Off to post a review on the game page and buy the game.

MLC60
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Feb 4, 13 2:04 PM
I have just finished this game, having played as an advanced player. Even on advanced, you still get the sparkles and the "helpful" comments that seem to say "we think you are as dumb as a sack of hammers." Every time I found something, it was, 'I've got to go show this to Elizabeth,' at the top of every screen until I got back to Elizabeth and showed it to her! I'm 62 years old, but not THAT forgetful. You do get your money's worth, I must say. It was a long, involved game. MLC60

calsmom2001
Catfish
Catfish
1,746 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Feb 4, 13 3:23 PM
Eoarod wrote:Definitely got that "Dire Grove cold, quiet, and I don't know what to do" vibe. That's a good thing Now - don't get too excited - I'm not saying this is as good as DG - but you do get a bit of deja vu! Even with the sparkles (they stay as "directional arrows" even in difficult mode) you don't race through this game at top speed. It's nice to stumble around blindly in a game now and then and this is one where you'll find yourself doing that.

Oh my goodness, Eo, I'm off to D/L ...and until I saw this I wasn't even interested in demoing it. Intriguing!

WolfenRaindancer
Salmon
Salmon
2,812 Posts

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 4, 13 3:29 PM
I had played the beta of this, and I did enjoy it, so of course I am getting this one. Did the demo to make sure I didn't have any problems, and have stopped to buy. I like this one. It fills my screen, music is eerie, and yes, the tasks are logical. That static did drive me crazy too, and I had the same trouble in this one as I did in the beta with getting the power on, in the ski lift. I was pushing the right buttons, but they just didn't respond. So I skipped and moved on. The sparkles tell me when there is a hos, and so far, I haven't had that "I don't know what to do now" feeling. I do appreciate hint telling me to look elsewhere or that there is nothing to be done here. So, even though this doesn't have all the bells and whistles, it does have an interesting story, spooky atmosphere...chilling even. I have already kicked my heater up a couple of degrees, lol. I had upped the brightness when I played the beta and didn't have any problems afer, but decided not to change it this time around, just in case. Off to play some more, and hope to see more from these devs

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 4, 13 3:56 PM
I don't know this dev, so don't know if they are new or what. Graphics were old school and game play was nice. HOGs a bit junky. Sound okay. Games very simple. Hint system may be fast recovery, but not helpful...don't just tell me to look somewhere else, at least point me in the general direction. Music okay.

Voice overs just sounded like someone reading a line with no urgency or fear or whatever the scene called for. Very blah.

This game looked like something from 2-3 years ago and was not challenging at all. A beginner would like this game, except that there is a tremendous amount of unnecessary running back and forth.

This game did not make me want more when the demo ended, so it will not be a buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 4, 13 4:09 PM
Didn't even make it 30 minutes of the demo and I even came back twice hoping that I was in the mood, but this is the slooooowest game I've ever encountered. Good grief, I still don't have the generator going. Not a smooth running game. Playing in the casual mode and even though sparkles don't usually annoy me, this game REALLY has the SPARKLES....great big ones and those ARE annoying.

I had to turn the sound off...the sound was awful. Very slow story, very awkward game. A definate no buy for me. A game has to move faster and be more connected for me to buy.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Feb 4, 13 4:45 PM
I really loved this game. Got it with a free game. Would be well worth the money. Its really a long game. The only drawback to the game , i found, was the back and forth till you realize where to use everything. But all in all even on causual, I found it challenging. Thanks devs and

Go to: