njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Today's DD

[Post New]by njmathews on Feb 4, 13 9:44 AM
The Delaware St. John series is one of my all time favorite adventure games. I have never jumped into the pond by starting a discussion, but I was compelled to after reading some of the older reviews which were angry at the long opening credits. You're right, but I want to encourage you to hang in there and play some of the game! Besides the walkthrough, there is a hint system built in - simply call Kelly and she will get you on the right track.

Poke around. Try all the doors. Listen to Delaware as he talks to himself. Pretty soon I think you, too, will be wondering why this town has no name. Its creepy

njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:Today's DD

[Post New]by njmathews on Feb 4, 13 12:36 PM
So sorry. You are correct, Kelly isn't available at the beginning. I appreciate that you gave it a try! I have to accept it is an annoying demo - too long of a wind up.

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Feb 4, 13 3:12 PM
i discovered that RIGHT CLICKING would cut the conversations off. trial and error there. i was glad to see mr. deleware come back because i'd passed him by previously and was waiting for him to jump down to the DD. i love true adventure games. i love hint systems built in and i love walk thrus. it's a completely different change of pace and i'm especially glad there are two games. if they are a little shorter than usual i'll still probably spend days chiping away. i am so behind on so many games that it's nice to have one i can actually finesh.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Feb 4, 13 3:18 PM
Pure adventure games are waaaaay above my skill/comfort level. Maybe some day ....

cjmajor49
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by cjmajor49 on Feb 4, 13 6:08 PM
This game has to be one of the worst ever. The looooong intro and credits ruined my desire to play it. I realize some folks like games with a lot of dialogue, but this game is ridiculous. The only other game ,IMHO, as bad as this one is "Voyage".

Catnipper
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Catnipper on Feb 4, 13 7:09 PM
I LOVE good, old-fashioned adventure games. Long before HOGs came along, I spent hours on my non-Internet connected desktop computer playing these games which I bought at the computer store for about $60 a pop. You'd get a box covered with pictures of scenes from the game, some floppys (eventually CDs and then DVDs) an instruction book or two on how to install and how to play, sometimes a map or poster. Unless you spent an extra $15 to $20 on a strategy book, you were on your own. Some of the games were so beautiful and I just loved exploring and interacting at my own pace.

As soon as I finished the demo, I purchased this game. I also have DSJ: The Curse of Midnight Manor and I'm also going to purchase DSJ:The Seacliff Tragedy. As soon as I figure out which is the first, second and third, I'm going to spend glorious winter weeks playing them in order.

HOGs, hint systems and linear games are nice for when you want to relax and don't want to think, but I love the challenge of a true, old-timey adventure game.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Feb 4, 13 9:37 PM
I am so thrilled for those who enjoy adventure games Thank you all for your wonderful reviews.

Njmathews, thank you so much for some extra details.

Forneymary, thank you so much for your info on the right clicking, even though I can't seem to get back to that....more on that later

The 9 mins of "strapped to your chair with no exit" could have been cut to 4 mins, and people may have stayed to see what's next.

Once I was allowed to interact with the game, I found the cursor to be slow and eventually it disappeared entirely. I had no way to exit the game. The esc button didn't even work. Eventually, my computer shut down entirely.

I am so disappointed, as I saw this game as a "stepping stone" to some fun adventure games. It didn't seem to be so complicated when I began, and Kelly tried to help, but when you're frozen in one area....it's done!!!

Again, thank you to all the great reviewers.......I would not have even attempted without your reviews.

Devs and BFG, considering the enormous amount of negative reviews, with some of the most basic problems not being fixed, how do you release this game again as a deal to people?

Go to: