bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 7, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 7, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 7, 13 1:43 AM
An outstanding offering from Elephant Games on the heels of last Sunday's masterpiece----that's two great CEs in a row with "9" coming next. Look out, wallet!!

Anyway, this one is a horror fiction murder mystery involving an old style organ grinder with an axe to grind (sorry). The story begins with the demise of a town leader, and goes from there----and, of course, it's up to the player to connect the clues and save the town.

The art work and graphics are typical excellent Elephant style graphics----clear and sharp as can be, with scenes that must be seen to be believed. And, naturally, since it's Elephant, it's presented in widescreen as has come to be expected from the superior developers.

The mechanics are absolutely perfect with no problems at all as you move from scene to scene.

The voiceovers are very good, and convincing.

The HOS are just as beautiful as the rest of the game, and cleverly done. And the puzzles are nice with a bit of challenge.

The bonus material, in addition to the usual, includes a few extras not usually seen.

The game captured my attention at once, and the time went by all too quickly----so it's a buy for me----I've got to see what happens next. Beautifully done, Elephant! Congrats!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 7, 13 2:04 AM
I remember beta testing this game a while ago (could almost swear before Nutcracker came out). Just a deja vu feeling). But this is another 10/10 game from my favorite pachyderm team. VO's are done exceptionally well. Especially that gruffy organ grinder. This is based on Expert mode. In this game in that mode I haven't found a sparkle even for the H0S.
You also get a little Phoenix named Terrance who will help you out. He is adorable!

Story: The detective was sent to Graysand to solve a cold case that happened 13 years ago. But when he arrived, he put the cold case on hold to take care of the case at hand since this one was in a much dire situation.

Graphics: This top notched art team did it again! Absolutely gorgeous. Right down to the little pirate hand cursor

Music: Beautifully done. Fits perfectly with the game and is a joy to listen to.

Minnie Games: Not too hard not to easy just right. From what I read in the strat guide, there is a reset button. (Now if all teams did that, I would be a happy camper, and no skipping every so often).

Hint System: I haven't used it in this game at all. Nor have I rarely used it in the past. To me sometimes the hint system ruins the game for me. I love to venture on my own. Especially with the great map system this game has.

Map: You will have the "!" for things to do, and it is a jump map.

All in all superb game. Kudos to Elephant Games!

Edited on 02/07/2013 at 2:09:21 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 7, 13 2:11 AM
Played 35 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hardcore

- Integrated SG which shows 7 chapters + bonus play. Extras include concept art, music, jigsaw puzzles, interactive organ grinder

- Good voice overs

- On bottom left of your screen you have a kind of notebook, a card in fact, that you can refer to

- Interactive map on the right of your screen

- Shortly after starting the game you get a baby phoenix, Terrance, that will help you in many ways...........

- H0, you interact

- Good mini games

- Hint is very useful outside H0

- Skip button

- Throughout the game you collect pets

- Very good music

- Gorgeous graphics

An organ grinder is seeking revenge for a crime that happened years ago. Evil creatures are at work. A great game, absolutely beautiful, a straight buy for me.

Edited on 02/07/2013 at 2:13:22 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 7, 13 2:58 AM
There were 3 things that made me buy the game even before trying and they were who the developer was and the collectibles of cursed cards ands supernatural pets. I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the latter two because the cards are not an extra you have to find they are actually part of the game and are given to you and the lost pets (10) have sparkles despite my playing in advanced mode purely to get no sparkles so I personally don't count either as being an 'extra'.

As usual with this dev the game filled my widescreen and the graphics are very good but there was one particular view of Carol's hair in a cutscene that I thought was soooo great it looked real, well done that artist .

The voiceovers are good, loved the organ grinders but thought that another was a bit too similar to it. Talking about the baddie, turn the volume up when you first get to the menu page and listen to him and the music before playing anything, I thought it was a really excellent start to the game .

Of the 7 chapters I am near the end of chapter 3 after playing for 1 hr 15 mins but that said I checked the SG and found that the number of the page I was up to was 12 and there were another 42 pages to take me to the end of the game and bonus. I skipped the end of one puzzle and the skip seemed to fill quite quickly. Haven't used any hints so far so can't comment on that.

The hidden object scenes are clear and I have had no trouble with them at all, they are very slightly interactive. There is some toing and froing but only a few scenes at a time.

All in all quite an interesting game and I have enjoyed what I have played so far .

Cherb

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Feb 7, 13 3:53 AM
Another superb game from Elephant Games. I end up having to file for personal bankrupcy, with all those superb games from them.

Pros: Interesting and engrossing storyline (as always with EG)
Superb graphics (also as above)
Interesting and mindbending puzzles
Very atmospheric.

Cons: None that I could think off.

Rating: 5/5

lmarr54
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by lmarr54 on Feb 7, 13 4:55 AM
Played 5 minutes and stopped to buy! A must have if you love this developer. This team just keeps getting better with each new release. Plus, TGT bonus punch! Yippee, off to play!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Feb 7, 13 6:14 AM
It's a very well crafted game with beautiful graphics and lots of bells and whistles....

BUT those "sample" times are really getting ridiculous......mine lasted 25 minutes......and that was it!!!!!

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Feb 7, 13 6:40 AM
SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT..........................IT'S A BUY HERE........................(I THINK) ----------------- GREAT GAME...........................

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 7, 13 6:49 AM
I must be the only nay-sayer here. LOVE elephant games and agree they are the top of the heap. But this one didn't grab me. I agree the demo ended very quickly. Elephant games do 'same-old' brilliantly, but that was my feeling - I'm a bit tired of this.
It's probably just me. Love the map. Love the hints. But 'Nutcracker' was so gorgeous, I couldn't wait. I don't feel strongly about this one. And this is a first for me.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Feb 7, 13 6:49 AM
Gorgeous graphics, interesting storyline and a must have for me! I don't usually by CE's but this one changed my mind! Once again the developer's knocked my socks off.....

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Feb 7, 13 8:53 AM
wow what a excellent game graphics are so beautiful and so is the music to lisen to, congrats DEV's you all out did yourselves in this game, thank you so much..for all your hard work and time on this game..
BigFish you lookk out after your fishes in the pond Kuddo's to you,,,

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Feb 7, 13 9:12 AM
In my humble opinion, it is sad to see this developer churning out so many games, and sacrificing quality for quantity with many of them.

This game might as well be Nutcracker or Crystal Slipper in a different location. Characters are presented to you in exactly the same fashion -- two dimensional closeups giving a non animated dialogue.

This game lacks several of the aspects of Elephant games we appreciate -- no achievements, only very modestly interactive HOs, Hardcore mode does not eliminate black bar info or task locations on the map.

One set of collectible items are literally handed to you, the other set are pretty much in your face; required inventory items tend to show up when you need them.

I'm pokey, so the demo ended while I was working on a puzzle with rather obscure hints -- perhaps the puzzles offer some challenge.

The story -- you follow a detective who has come to town to investigate new clues in a 13 year old cold case and is met with the imminent danger of a madman who has already killed the town's mayor. The story is curious enough even if good vs. evil is way overdone in games by this point. This madman, in the guise of a hurdy gurdy man, quotes Poe and hands out death cards. He is clearly out to revenge an old (13 year old?) wrong doing. The detective sets out on his quest and is immediately confronted with townsfolk being threatened, not only by the revengeful masked man, but by some fantasical mythological creatures. The story may possibly be the highlight of this game.

Yes -- the artwork is stunning, the animated action well done, but we are being sold a game, not a picture book or a movie. The game play formula is simply all too familiar at this point, especially when the finer points of this developer's game play offerings are compromised.

New to Elephant games -- of course you will be impressed, you will most likely have a good time watching the detective solve the mystery, but if you played The Void, or Raincliff, or Surface, you would understand this review.

The audio video check boxes are all filled -- widescreen, voice overs, haunting music

CE extras include the usual fluff and an additional mini game -- some kind of jigsaw puzzle. According to BFG, the Bonus Chapter features the organ grinder's fate -- so, if you are really intrigued by the story, I suppose you will want the CE.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Feb 7, 13 9:31 AM
Bestiary? Lost Pet collection? Couldn't hit "buy" fast enough (ok Elephant has my number, love their animals!)

I was not surprised that this game drew me in with a great story (Pretty dark! This is not Nutcraker!). I was not surprised at the stunning graphics, lovely music or great VOs. I wasn't even really surprised there are no achievements (Elephant puts those in maybe 30% of the time).

What the snot out of me was: My cursor was positively flying around the screen! Woot! No hink, no lag. Double checked; yes I did have Special Effects on and still this game is running smoother than black ice!

How they've had time to work on this with all the amazing games they've given us lately? No clue. I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth - just hitting "buy" and settling in for a lovely day of game playing!

As always - give this a try - as I said it is darker in theme than many E games of late, this may not flip everyone's switch, but it's a lovely Thursday treat for those who will fall in with this on sight!

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Feb 7, 13 9:37 AM
I have to agree with all the positive reviews for this game. I am always amazed that Elephant keeps presenting us with games that are some of the best on the market. Needless to say, I purchased the game without even trying the demo since I knew it would be excellent.

When I first started the game, I admit that I restarted it three times just to hear the opening with the organ grinder singing Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. How awesome. I don't think that voices in a game can get any better.

The game itself is very well done with excellent graphics, IHOS, puzzles and all the extras that make this truly CE worthy. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to wait for the SE version. Of course, this developer knows how to weave a great story into its games which makes it even better. I would give this game 10 stars if I could.

Thanks BFG and Elephant Games for another excellent game.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 7, 13 9:40 AM
A game that exposes the dangerous effects of genetic engineering. It can prove dangerous for your health, your town, and your planet! Makes cigarette smoking and overeating pale in comparison. A madman with chimeras. IPachyderm does it again! What a great game. What has impressed me most about this game is the clarity of the graphics. The games they produce are so much better than other devs. This dev is blowing away the competition lately. So many great games, so little time for me these days. However, when I do get some "free time," I always know that this dev will provide a great game.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 7, 13 10:23 AM
So far I've played 33 minutes and intend to finish the demo, but I'm more than a little annoyed that the costumes of the characters range over about 4 centuries (medieval to the early 19th), the detective actually is talking about a cold case in what appears to be the 18th century, and the opening is a pretty great musical rendition of The Raven by Poe -- however, The Raven was published in 1845. Then there's that bank night depository. Sigh. Really, Elephant. And I say that as the owner of a lot of Elephant games. The story seems to be yet another terrible creature/set of creatures on the loose, and a devastated town. At least I haven't seen anyone with burning eyes in a hood. Maybe that's later. Once I play the entire demo, I'll decide whether or not to buy, but the abounding anachronisms and obvious lack of concern about making anything look even remotely like it comes from one era have really put me off. This is going to have to be one heck of a game for me to buy, and Elephant has always been one of my favorite developers. More later.

Here's later: finished the demo, and first let me say some people will probably love this game -- it has a lot of good elements, nice gameplay and a very good hint button, and the graphics are nicely done. But the endless anachronisms (which now include a little girl dressed in 20th century short skirt, a man dressed like mid-19th to early 20th century, HOS's with several items out of era including paint tubes [first manufactured in 1841] and paint can [first manufactured in 1868]). This game is clearly meant to be set in the lateish 18th century, but after a while I just gave up on the game, because I stopped caring. Sorry, Elephant. Love you usually, but definitely not this game. Even with Terrance and the morphing pets.

Edited on 02/08/2013 at 11:19:41 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 7, 13 10:48 AM
Wow, wow and wow! Need I say more? Well, I will anyway. I wasn't going to buy as many CEs this year as I have been, but then, here comes Elephant with another awesome game. Exceptional graphics and game play. HOGs nice and not difficult to find items. Games easy, but take a little thought. Very nice SG (although not as clear and realistic looking as the game itself). Only played 16 minutes before deciding to buy, so didn't use the hint system.

I absolutely love the voice overs. They completely fit the character and sound very convincing, not like someone just reading a line with no feeling. Probably the best I have seen so far. Really liked the beginning, really drew me in right away. Of course, I'm a huge Poe fan.

No, there really isn't anything new with the story line, a change here and there, but very well done, as always. I really like the extras within the game...makes it more interesting and fun.

As I said, this game drew me in from the beginning scene and I am purchasing today. I think this one would appeal to all HOG lovers, whatever your level of play may be. As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all...I would be extremely surprised if you didn't. Thanks for the reviews.

arfur99
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by arfur99 on Feb 7, 13 12:03 PM
Have to agree with all comments about graphics etc being up to usual Elephant standards but I'm on the fence as I found the HO's to be really easy, didn't even need my glasses.No challenge at all. Playing in advanced. Will wait and see what else comes along
arfur99

Go to: