bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Post any Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 8, 13 12:35 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

When posting in this thread and also when contacting our Support Team, it would be helpful if you could state what system you are playing the game on (i.e. PC, MAC or Mobile), so we can provide you with the appropriate support as quickly as possible.

*Finally, please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

Re:Post any Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug technical issues here only

[Post New]by OliveRidley on Feb 8, 13 4:49 AM
PC notebook Windows 7

When I went to retrieve the sack from the boat I had a large black square appear in the middle of the screen then an "Error: Access violation at 0x68C610B3 (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated" popped up , after which the game shut down.

I started it up again and hooked the sack only to have the black square reappear slightly smaller and off to the bottom right side was the missing picture. I also interestingly had a complete layout of the keyboard show up in what I consider ERS font, at this point the Error: Access violation pop up came up and when I clicked on OK the game shut down.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 8, 13 5:24 AM
Hi dogzy,

Have you tried looking at the following Help Article which provides advice for the error you are seeing?

Access Violation

Usually the suggestions in that article resolves things!

However, if you would like us to look into this for you and provide some troubleshooting specific to your computer, please contact Tech Support for further assistance by clicking on the green to the right of the page.

Hope this is helpful!

bfgBaikal

ginny46
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by ginny46 on Feb 8, 13 5:43 AM
I also have the same problem as you. Access Violation. New laptop, Pavilion, windows 7. Had the black square on the bag, and exited twice with an access violation. Had to ctl, alt, del.

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Feb 8, 13 9:59 AM
Hey ginny46,

As Baikal already suggested, trying out some of the tips and tricks from the Access Violation help article may help to get rid of that pesky access violation!

If you'd prefer to work with someone directly about those troubleshooting steps one of our Tech Support Reps will be more than happy to help.

Just click here to submit a support ticket via email. If you're a Big Fish Game Club member you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

Best of luck, and keeping my fins crossed that this is resolved quickly for you!

bfgIzara

[Post New]by phoenix_rising on Feb 8, 13 2:00 PM
The dialoge gets stuck, not easy to get out of it, had to shut down the computer

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Feb 8, 13 3:03 PM
Hi phoenix_rising,

What you describe sounds like a kind of game freeze so if you haven't already done so, please try the suggestions in our help article here.

If that doesn't get everything straightened out, it's definitely best to get in touch with our Tech Support Team so they can see what else might be causing the trouble and work with you directly on some more specific troubleshooting. You can contact them by clicking here to submit a support ticket via email. If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

Thank you!

bfgMonongahela

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Feb 8, 13 4:22 PM
I bought the CE for this game...............nothing but violation error tons of them.......when I started the game again I kept getting closer and closer to the end...............did DrFElix and DxDiag and BF couldn't find a solution kept telling to send another report. Finally I gave up.............never finished the game.............go look at the CE's tech issues over 5500 complaints......................

Edited on 02/08/2013 at 4:25:02 PM PST

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Feb 8, 13 7:15 PM
Access violations galore.
Updated my drivers, etc, yesterday.
Looked at CE tech issues and there are a lot of the same AV issues.
Played another game by the same developers today after playing this one, AOK.
No disrespect, but how many people have to have the same problem before the game
is looked at as being responsible?

mysharona1
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by mysharona1 on Feb 8, 13 7:44 PM
I had almost finished the game when it froze up. i had to shut down my computer and when I went back to game it told me my user file was corrupted and it completely wiped out my game so now I have to start all over!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR Why did this happen?????

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 9, 13 3:01 AM
Hi Fishies,

If you have tried the advice already offered and you are still having trouble with the game's performance and access violation error messages, please get in touch with our friendly Tech Support. You can reach them by clicking on the green to the right of the page and then clicking the Contact Us link on the help pages.

They will be happy to provide more personalized help that we are unable provide via the Forums and also, will continue to collect information on what may be causing these problems.

Finally, if you could run and include a Dr. Felix Diagnostic Report in that mail we would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

bfgBaikal

bookworm42
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by bookworm42 on Feb 9, 13 9:47 AM
when i try and play the game i get a message dark tales: "Edgar Allan Poe `s the gold bug. exe has stopped working. A problem caused this program to stop working correctly"
i have only downloaded the demo so far, but really want to play this game. not sure what the problem is, i turned off my avast whilst downloading and have uninstalled and re installed several times to no avail. any body got any ideas?? many thank
ps playing on a PC, with windows vista home premium

Edited on 02/09/2013 at 9:50:18 AM PST

deejac
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by deejac on Feb 9, 13 10:05 AM
I only downloaded the demo and had to close down three times, same issues, black squares and error access ......., don't think I'll buy it till these issues are sorted.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Feb 9, 13 10:27 AM
No disrespect but I sent a dia and a fx and no solutions. So your advice is pointless.

mysharona1
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by mysharona1 on Feb 9, 13 2:43 PM
I posted yesterday regarding playing the game to a certain point and then it froze up and I had to restart my computer. When I went to play the game after rebooting it told me that my user file was corrupted and I had to start the game completely over!
Well..... guess what?! I started the game AGAIN and got to that same part AGAIN and it froze up again and when I went to play the game again after rebooting it AGAIN tells me my user file was corrupted and I have to start the game completely over AGAIN!
What is wrong with this game????????????????????

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Feb 10, 13 1:23 AM
Heya Fishies,

I can definitely understand how frustrating all this must be for you.

As my fellow Mods have already mentioned, it could help to make sure that all the drivers and software necessary to display the game properly are up-to-date. You can check this and update if necessary with the steps that are available here.

If you have tried this and the other solutions that have been mentioned here before, I would definitely recommend that you get in touch with our Tech Support Team so they can have a closer look at that for you.

saphhire - Sorry to hear that our Tech Support couldn't help you just yet! Sometimes it takes several steps to get a game up and running so it might be a good idea to get back in touch with them so they can continue to work with you!

I hope this is helpful.

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by bronylittle on Feb 10, 13 7:58 AM
I'm having the same problems. If this many people are having these problems, you need to fix the game. Come on!

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Feb 11, 13 2:47 AM
Heya bronylittle, welcome to the Pond!

I can definitely understand your frustration and we're already working on getting these issues taken care of.

However, to do so it would be very helpful if you could get in touch with our Tech Support Team with a description of the problem and a Dr. Felix Diagnostic Report.

This will help them to find the cause of the problems you have been experiencing so we can then forward it to the developers of the game to get it fixed for you. This process requires as much information as we can possibly get so every single email our tech Support receives from you will help speed it up!

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by Jonahsmomma on Feb 11, 13 11:45 AM
I got the error message as I cut down the bushes in quay. I searched the forum and saw that I have to tap-dance around my computer to resolve the issue and even then it's not a guaranteed fix. I am willing to go ahead and try to update my computer's internal workings since I game often, but I am less than thrilled to be doing this. If I update and continue to have problems, I will expect to be credited. Is there any one place I should update first?

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Feb 11, 13 3:18 PM
Game played OK until I got to Chapter 5. I then got several access violation errors, shut down the program using ctl-alt-delete each time, reopened the program and got a bit further before the next access violation. All involved trying to read from 0x00000000.
Sorry but as an ex programmer this certainly seems like one or more program errors to me (but ones that may be hard to fix).
I am running the game under Vista on a Sony Vaio laptop

Go to: