DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 10, 13 12:58 AM
Hi there,
The first game in this series was great. I am looking forward to playing this one.
This is a very large file to DL, but halfway there (which is good for me).
Any first impressions fishes?

Edited on 02/10/2013 at 12:59:28 AM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Re:Comments for 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Imberis on Feb 10, 13 1:07 AM
Hi!

I played for a bit and I liked what I saw, for the most part. The character models are a little weird. The inspector character looks a little lopsided or something. LoL The one thing I didn't like has to do with the achievements, but it's not a big deal. I like when I can try to get them all in one go, instead of (slight spoiler about the achievements) having individual achievements for completing each game mode.

Edited on 02/10/2013 at 1:08:28 AM PST

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Feb 10, 13 1:23 AM
Hello Lady Oz!

Glad to see you!!

Re: the game, I just barely played the demo and decided I liked it and bought it- strange but true! We'll see if i made the right decision I'm not usually so cavalier!

Looking forward to other's points of view!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 10, 13 1:33 AM
I haven't played much but looks really promising, it's so nice to get a game with nice puzzles that aren't insultingly simple (which is why I enjoyed the first game).

Note for people who play for achievements you have to play the tutorial which is not available in hardcore you have to play on advanced and I don't think you change hardness once you start which is annoying as to get all the achievements you basically are playing hardcore anyway.

Lovely graphics (lovely I can say that as usually it's not to my taste) really sharp and clear. Story a bit weird but at least different - girl kidnapped by gargoyles that came alive during a parade. (Don't know what it is with DEVS and weird creatures in games but people must love them).

Voiceovers but no moving lips. Will pick up the CE probably if there is a BOGOF sale as I don't have 2 credits and look forward to playing it then.

edit - Just noticed in achievements and it is SO annoying when one of the things is *you have to play all three modes, playing it through more than once is annoying enough but all three times for me is tedious* so might just wait for the SE anyway due to this, but apart from that, looking forward to SE.

Edited on 02/10/2013 at 1:40:27 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Feb 10, 13 1:59 AM
my game is still downloading, but there is a note in our challenge for the original
9: The Darkside game- by pops.
You are awarded all the awards for the different difficulty modes, lower than the difficulty you play as well as for the difficulty you have played in.

EG, If played in Hardcore mode, you get all 3 difficulty awards
If you play in Advanced mode, you are awarded advanced and easy mode awards.

Hopefully the sequel is the same as this.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Feb 10, 13 3:13 AM
There's one scene that made me feel a little dizzy. Nothing too bad. It was so well done and very lovely to look at, but the swaying motion was a little if I looked at it for too long!

I do hope the achievements are like the first one, then. I've also noticed that they take a bit after you get them to pop up. Not long, but I guess I'm used to games having them pop up immediately.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Feb 10, 13 4:06 AM
A big Kuddo's to the DEV's they out did themselves in this game thank you DEV's for all your hard work and time, Keep up the good work your music is awesome to lisen to in this game and the graphics are beautiful the game story line is pleasent..
Thank you BigFish for a really nice game this morning, I will buy this game when it comes our in SE,I know thew dev's have to get there moneys worth with the CE's and it is worth the price but to bad I can't get the CE..Good Morning everyone have a nice day.. 5 's

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Feb 10, 13 6:06 AM
looks like I am in the minority here, I just don't really care for this one all that much, perhaps the SE but definitely not the CE. Just not into this story, I guess. The graphics are lovely and all, very well done, just not my cup of tea. But all you fishies that are loving this game, enjoy!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Feb 10, 13 6:41 AM
Pickles77, you're not alone. I don't care for this one either. TEDIOUS....way too many cut scenes (which I HATE). Too much back and forth.

Could not get into this game to save my life.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Feb 10, 13 9:29 AM
Looks like a good game, but unfortunately it is a CE. I'll have to wait until I get my monthly free credit then I can afford to purchase another credit and purchase this game

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 10, 13 10:00 AM
The game is so so.. whatever I mean by that I really don't know. It just doesn't seem to be a CE kind of game. I played the other 9 and really didn't care for that one either. Maybe when I run out of game to play, might give this one a thought. It's a question mark for me??

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Feb 10, 13 10:39 AM
Pickles77 wrote:looks like I am in the minority here, I just don't really care for this one all that much, perhaps the SE but definitely not the CE. Just not into this story, I guess. The graphics are lovely and all, very well done, just not my cup of tea. But all you fishies that are loving this game, enjoy!
Just swam by to say, I agree with you and *Micha1234.* I found it overly detailed and dumped it 1/2 way through. I mean, how many times does one have to shlep stuff back and forth to the same location. It's suppose to be fun, not tedious! Even with the map, it's still tedious.

Edited on 02/10/2013 at 3:53:43 PM PST

elijah5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,225 Posts

[Post New]by elijah5 on Feb 10, 13 11:49 AM
I downloaded this game this morning, when the cut scenes started, I knew it was familiar to me. I had demoed this game awhile back. I was sitting on the fence with this one when I played it. Still not sure If I like it or not. You don't have to walk back and forth as there is a map which you can use to jump from place to place. Will probably sit on this one for a couple of days to make up my mind. I liked the first one, not sure about this one. But, to each his own.

Edited: I meant to say Beta Tested.

Edited on 02/10/2013 at 3:33:28 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Feb 10, 13 2:42 PM
Excellent mini games in this! They are difficult but fun and brain teasing
I really couldn't see anything that I really disliked about this but something just didn't click here for me

I actually haven't bought an adventure/HOG in quite some time. They all seem alike to me anymore. Maybe thats what happened to me on this. They just seem to drag and I get bored to quickly.

This IS VERY well done but I think I just need more stimulation Everyone should demo it because I think I'm just burned out on this type for a while.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 10, 13 7:37 PM
Thanks govegril for the info - didn't remember that about the first game. Although you would still have to play it twice (as tutorial isn't available in hardcore) it's better than three times.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Feb 10, 13 9:43 PM
Hi ginger- if you do hardcore first, you would then only need to play tutorial on easy-
anyway I did pick up the game since I had 2 credits so will try to fit it in between our team HOG challenge and then we know for sure!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 11, 13 12:01 AM
govegril wrote:Hi ginger- if you do hardcore first, you would then only need to play tutorial on easy-
anyway I did pick up the game since I had 2 credits so will try to fit it in between our team HOG challenge and then we know for sure!

My DUH moment of the day! I do that with other achievements re just playing the tutorial, again not thinking! Thanks for letting me know.

As I'm replaying a lot, re the HOG challenge the thought of having to replay a game not included in the challenge made me panic.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Feb 11, 13 3:58 AM
One thing I found annoying was that the hint button persisted in giving the same hint over and over. This proved to be rather useless, as I didn't have access to that particular area,and didn't have the items that the hint button was telling me to use. In fact, I had to go through five pages of the strategy guide before I even got close to what the hint button was talking about. So I wasn't especially impressed. I expect the hint button and the strategy guide to be more in sync than this.

Elirana
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by Elirana on Feb 11, 13 11:36 AM
AM
What's so hard making games fit my square screen when they make it fit W/S?
The pachyderm devs have adapted to W/S but messed up games on my PC where I have to keep changing to W/S mid-game to access objects lost in the ether off the sides in several games.
Now this games devs has blown up the picture and put a square around the middle so the mini-game instructions were missing some at the bottom and the side. It looks awful and after hearing that the bonus is very short, won't be buying CE or the SE if it's not sorted.
Been with BF since 07 and bought all but a couple of CEs and 100s of their games. Have to say, am getting a bit ticked, having a GM forced on me which I HATE, PCCs by e-mail which either don't work or I lose, offers which I can rarely utilise as I have all the games and being charged VAT plus the games in GBP seem more than in dollars.
Time for a rest from games??

Thought I'd add this to comments as I've listed it as a new topic and don't feel I've got all my rant out of my system.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 13, 13 6:47 PM
I am about to download this game, and I just want to say, and I think I have commented on this before maybe a few years ago, what a cool thing this forum is!! I have made a really good friend through this forum and have gotten so many tips and hints and good advice, I just want to thank BF and all the reviewers out there for this outlet. I think back, and have no idea how I played games without it!!
Thanks everyone!!

feenix2011

Go to: