bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Motor Town: Soul of the Machine

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Feb 12, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Motor Town: Soul of the Machine? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Motor Town: Soul of the Machine page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Motor Town: Soul of the Machine

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Feb 12, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 12, 13 1:37 AM
Very clever game here! I can say it has one of the goofiest premises I've seen, but that makes it fun. Honestly, if I hadn't read the quick summary and watched the video, I would have no idea of where this game is heading----but that's part of the charm and fun of the game.

The graphics, voiceovers, music, and mechanics are all well done, and the game moves along at a nice clip (in a WIDESCREEN presentation).

There is a nice mix of interactive HOS and puzzles, and the puzzles are unique and wily without being overly challenging----great fun to play!

There is a helpful journal that keeps you on track, and the hint system is very helpful. There are also amulets you need to find.

The game has lots to do, all with a good pace. And the story----though somewhere out in left field----has a good deal of charm and will keep you interested in seeing what you discover next.

Overall, a completely absorbing and "different" game that must at least be tried. Highly recommended----and it's a SE!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 12, 13 2:26 AM
Very slight spoiler in first paragraph

I usually know within a few minutes whether I am going to enjoy a game or not and I have to admit that I was a bit at first because you drive a car and as soon as you get out you have to find a key to open the boot. In the UK the ignition key is the same one for the boot so I was completely baffled as to how it got where it did especially when you had to do the something to get it because that something must have been in its right place in order for the key to be put there but there again this is a game .

Anyway I carried on and I actually bought after just 20 minutes. Two of the door puzzles made me really even though they were not difficult to solve just because they were much more fun than finding a boring old key.

The game did open automatically in widescreen and the graphics are excellent and I didn't have any problem finding objects in the interactive hidden object scenes .

There are two modes of play Casual and Expert and I am playing the latter so as to avoid the sparkles but the game doesn't appear to be difficult in that mode ... says Cherb crossing her fingers that those weren't famous last words.

If you click on the More Games this game you will see that Twisted Lands and The Gift are mentioned and I have to say I really enjoyed those so I am looking forward to continuing this one and so I am off to do so.

Cherb

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Feb 12, 13 2:36 AM
I love this game, The sounds are awesome, graphics are clear when your looking through a HOS, Dev's you did a great job your very creatived in this game, Thank you Dev's for all your time and hard work in this neat game, I recommend this game..I did get the game..
Kuddo's to Big Fish, Thx BF for another awesome game you rock..

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Feb 12, 13 4:05 AM
I bought this game after playing for just 5 mins I just loved it from the start. These Devs do such a good job with SE's, just as good. and in some cases a lot better than CE;s. As soon as I saw the word **** I knew I would be in for a great game.

Such a lovely surprise this morning. Looking forward to getting home from work to carry on.

Linda

[Post New]by heatherington on Feb 12, 13 6:28 AM
These are the absolute best games, I simply love all this developers games
I'm calling them the A-Team. Good music, nice graphics but maybe we could make things a little more decrepit and dirty, just saying. I have been able to do all the puzzles except the gear thing. Didn't make any sense because they were all hitting together, what more can you want from gears? Back to play.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 12, 13 6:52 AM
This is a very nice game from those developers who are Al A War, good puzzles (not too hard but make you think) and HO scenes are slightly interactive, just a bit challenging. Nice laugh at the beginning (see thread Goof Up) but for a SE this is a great game. I would call this one HOPA Lite. Voiceovers were good and so far no issues with language! Music is unobtrusive. Not sure about sparkles as I am playing casual mode, have not had to use the skip button yet. Journal is helpful. Some inventory items are used right away but some I have been carrying around for quite a long time. Only complaint I have is the usual one with these developers, in the HO scenes for the interactive item they are very picky about your cursor placement. For example, using a can opener to open a can - you have to place it in the exact right spot for it to work, and it is not on top of the can! Took me about six tries before I got the darn thing open. But that is a minor thing, this is basically a nice SE and IMO worth the money - and we have a sale on at the moment!

elijah5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,225 Posts

[Post New]by elijah5 on Feb 12, 13 7:34 AM
I've been waiting for this game to come out ever since I Beta Tested this game. I had so much fun playing the beta version with this game. Now that it is out, I'm off to buy! Can't wait to immerse myself in it. Enjoy everyone.

findlaybears
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by findlaybears on Feb 12, 13 7:44 AM
Game details based on playing entire game:

-2 Difficulty Modes: Casual and Expert
*Mode can be changed any time during the game through the Options Menu.

-Notebook can be found on the bottom left portion of the screen.
-POSSIBLE SPOILER- *Clues to solve some of the puzzles were entered in the notebook.

-No Map

-Inventory bar does not lock.

-The game did fill my 19“ monitor screen.

-Hint button can be used for both HOS and game play. Very helpful even if no Walkthrough is available.

-Most of the HOS are interactive and in junkpile form.
-POSSIBLE SPOILER- Each HOS is visited twice and the objects are not interchangeable per game (you get the same objects to find even if the game is replayed). There is a misclick penalty if the wrong objects are picked 5x in a row; a semi-transparent dark mist will fill the screen for a few seconds.

-Puzzles could be skipped.

SPOILER ALERT:

There were 13 amulets to collect throughout the game. I don’t consider these as “Collectables” though, because you don’t intentionally look for them. You obtain the amulets when a soul is “released” from the bondage of it’s car, after finishing a puzzle, or finding it as an inventory item. The amulets were placed in a special locket located near the Hint button on the right bottom side.

Genre: Science Fiction/Paranormal

Game length: I consider myself a slow to medium paced player, so it took me almost 6 hours to complete the game. Excellent length for a SE.

My opinions about the game:

*I played in Expert mode and there were NO sparkles anywhere, even for the HOS.
*Nice grungy/creepy style graphics.
*Music fit the game without being obtrusive.
*Good ratio between HOS/Adventure.
-POSSIBLE SPOILER-The HOS were fun to do because you could get 2 or more interactive objects per scene. Objects were not too difficult to find and some were cleverly placed.
*It would have been helpful to have a map as there were quite a few areas to roam.
*Interesting story line and characters to meet.
*Most of the puzzles were pretty easy and relaxing to play.

Edited on 02/12/2013 at 7:51:33 AM PST

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 12, 13 7:58 AM

Edited on 02/13/2013 at 2:21:42 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Feb 12, 13 10:09 AM
I will say I like this game and it will be a buy (either with sale or PCC) - however, I really hope there aren't a lot of cutscenes. Wow. Truly bad VOs. Our protagonist is so, so - but her boss? Wow. Yeah beyond that I'm speechless (make note...this is rare )

As with previous offerings from this dev the intrugue gets you! Great creepy atmosphere, very nice graphics! Bit of a draggy cursor *sigh* it's almost to the point where I expect and accept this bummer. Love the way these artists depict movement with various effects, lighting, etc (not people movement lol - scene atmosphere). H0 scenes are challenging - lots of interaction and as was mentioned above, pretty precise cursor work! Within demo flow is pretty logical - find X do Y - seems we'll have lots of inventory items in this one! Every handle in the house is missing no crowbar yet, but many sought after items will give you a sense of "Oh I know what I'll need here" comfort. Again - often the demo portion of a game is far mor linnear than the balance!

We've had several good games of late, so I'm not rushing to buy and play this one, but I do like the dev and have high hopes for it! Really unique plot to be certain - that's nothing to sniff at!

Definitely give this one a go, see if it revs your engine!

Happy Gaming!

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Feb 12, 13 10:48 AM
Based on trial - two modes of play - casual and expert.

Journal - no map.

Mix of puzzles and IHOP - both very good to play; made you think but not so much you become exasperated. Not the same old standbys. Hints were good. I didn't run into a click penalty but understand others did if you click on same item 5X.

Storyline grabs you and keeps you intrigued and is very different from the norm - great idea developers. Keeps you on your toes.

Two negatives - one was it necessary to put a voodo doll in the HOG - only occult item I saw during trial. 2nd - This house is a bit creepy but more because it is filthy dirty to the point of making one sick. Dirty dishes, sheets, pillow cases, floor, etc. These guys didn't miss anything except maybe animal feces to make it worse. So be prepared - if it wasn't for the intriguing storyline - I would have quit after walking through the main floor.

That said - I'll buy the game as soon as my queasy stomach settles and there is another sale. Want to check the walk through to make sure I can handle it.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 12, 13 10:51 AM
Like this game, has a good amount of things to think about and lots of good graphics, they might not be great, but are good. Reminds me of the other game I played called The Lake House Children of Silence which was an CE but one of the great games that I have played. Will be a purchase for me and give it a 3 out 5 stars..

FrankieS77
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by FrankieS77 on Feb 12, 13 1:31 PM
I like this game aswell, but there is a GLARING mistake right at the beginning. That old VW she is driving would have had the trunk in front as the engine was in back!
Well, I feel old now!!!

Enjoy,
Frankie

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 12, 13 1:43 PM
Okay, all the bugs and beetles I have seen have their trunk in the front. Where was this one built? Anyway, very nice SE for a change. Nice graphics and game play. HOGs nice and clear (a lot of hunting in and under things), simple games (take some thought). Nice voice over and music. Fairly fast hint recovery and helpful. I wish all games had maps...this one does not.

Not sure why, but I really like this game. There is nothing special about it, but I'm having fun with it. You use quite a lot of shoe leather on this one too, but it keeps you on your toes. I'm happy to see that we finally have an SE that I can use a game credit on.

Personally, I think this game would not only appeal to the beginner, but to the experienced gamer as well. It's just fun and I have the need to see where it goes with the story. Already downloaded and off to play.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Feb 12, 13 3:03 PM
As twinsoniclab said, never judge a book(or game) by it's cover.......and I, too, was about to ignore this game, because of it's name and the way it seemed to play out in the first ten minutes.

But after reading the reviews, I went back and gave it another try. And I can see why there are so many of you that like this game. It is good and I will probably buy it, with a pcc or $. It is much better than I thought.....so all who are turned off by the name, or gameplay, be sure and give it a good chance. It's difinitely worth a second look.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 12, 13 3:59 PM
Fun game! A nice length and voice overs were good, except the hippie...what a drone! HOS were fun to play as were almost all the games. HINT and SKIP recharged fairly quickly so the game wasn't held up. You will really need the journal as it gives clues to solve problems which at times could be tricky. Just enough mind play to make it fun and challenging.

Clear graphics and although could be dark in some scenes was still easy to see. Hint did show you around when needed and didn't need to recharge after every move. Game moved along well. Interesting story line, different. I had a lot of fun playing this one! I give it a 5 out of 5...refreshing to find a good game on BF...its been a dry few months!

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Feb 12, 13 5:08 PM
I did the demo and didnt like it, until I looked on here. Comments persuaded me to buy using a game credit, and I am enjoying it.. The hint works better than a strategy guide..
Just give it a go

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Feb 12, 13 6:51 PM
I've been playing for over 5hrs and I'm still not done............I need to collect 6 more souls.....................IN MY OPINION THIS GAME IS BETTER THEN A CE..................worth a free credit or BUY IT.....................its well worth it.....................I THINK ANYWAY MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND................

Go to: