CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

Trivia question

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 12, 13 8:18 AM
Does any one remember when you could buy a new VW for 2995.00?

I was a scretary for a new car dealer back then that sold VW and Mecedes Benz a few years back. (Mercedes sedans were 30 grand back then)

Oh boy, I just dated myself, huh?

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

Re:Trivia question

[Post New]by Qismet on Feb 12, 13 10:24 AM
I remember. My family had 3 of them over the years. I also remember a non stop road trip in one with my folks, my brother and I, a chihuahua, and 7 suitcases from Mississippi to Ohio. Not a fun trip lol. I also remember the plastic seats with the lines running down them and the dividing line on the back seat was a source of argument between my brother and I. He is on my side....he is touching me....he is looking at me....the dog threw up....are we there yet... ad nauseum lol. My dad was way much into saving money so needless to say we did not stop to stay in a motel and probably had sandwich stuff packed also. With the reserve gas tank that you could flip the switch for, you could go a looooong way before filling up.

I loved the beetle bug though. This was the car I learned to drive in.

Q

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 12, 13 11:35 AM
The VW is a newer one? Was wondering about the trunk being in the back.......but by the look of the people/other cars in the game I thought it was set back in the fifties! Oh well - just a game...........

MrsBruce32
Salmon
Salmon
2,697 Posts

[Post New]by MrsBruce32 on Feb 12, 13 5:53 PM
Hi twinsoniclab,
I know exactly who you meant and remember the program. Another car with a soul was Christine, had both a book and a movie.

Back to the VW though, my aunt had one in the early 70's and given where we lived in the winters it did not ever get warm enough because the motor was in the trunk and we sat in the front. They paid under 2K.

Okay CiChDa, what is the answer?

Edited on 02/12/2013 at 6:01:35 PM PST

MrsBruce32
Salmon
Salmon
2,697 Posts

[Post New]by MrsBruce32 on Feb 12, 13 6:18 PM
I agree twinsoniclab, it is a movie you don't forget. So, we don't want to fellow fishies to have nightmares I have to bring up a good soul car named "Herbie". Talk about a flashback.

MrsBruce32
Salmon
Salmon
2,697 Posts

[Post New]by MrsBruce32 on Feb 12, 13 6:43 PM
For some reason the husband always names his cars. Most of the time it is a female name. The only time he differed was when we had a one ton big blue dually 4X4 crew cab wtih an eight foot box that was named "Brutus".

Edited on 02/12/2013 at 6:46:53 PM PST

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 12, 13 7:08 PM
I still think this game is set back in the fifties or even later and they made a mistake with the VW - and I do remember Herbie but not My Mother The Car...........too funny editing out those names, would they edit out George W.s name as well? Wonder how many other ones, would be fun to make a list but the post would just be a bunch of *******s! I hope at least one of the cars in this game is in good condition, so far all the ones I have seen have been pretty rough looking...........

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 13, 13 2:29 AM
Good morning everyone,

Thanks so much for sharing your memories. Pretty cute.....

The year was 1971/1972.
This was a debute year for the VW beetle. They even brought in some big executives from Germany for the occasion. (also, this was in the midwestern area of the US)

I had just graduated high school and that was my first big girl job. I earned $1.25 an hour for doing time keeping, titles and plates and general clerical work at the front counter.

Now I really did date myself

MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLent on Feb 26, 13 5:41 AM
This game is set in the present. Since the recession Detroit has become nearly a ghost town,many empty buildings. It mentions the recession in the intro.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 26, 13 5:45 AM
My very first car was a VW Fastback.
Think I paid $1000 for it in (?) 1975-6.
Gosh, I still miss that car, it was a cutie.

Go to: